Photo

The ALS Icebucket Challenge and Other Social Media Exploits

92 replies to this topic
dillono
  • dillono

That was so funny I forgot to laugh.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:17 PM Edited by dillono, 24 August 2014 - 02:53 AM.

Earlier this year a viral campaign "#bringbackourgirls" had every celebrity and politician very publicly holding up pieces of card/paper with that phrase. Since then, how many of those celebrities, politicians and, yes, ordinary people who took part actively pursued the cause? How many of them still actively campaign for the release of those young Nigerian women? How many of them are even aware of any news stories coming from Nigeria since that time?

Sadly, social media campaigns like this provide short-term benefits and are based on narcississm.

Any longer term solutions to specific issues such as a disease, a famine or a kidnapping requires concerted effort. 99% of those people throwing water on themselves will get no positive feedback to 

themselves from that longer, concerted work and so will, of course, not do it.

• IveGotNoValues likes this

KnobCheez
  • KnobCheez

Gangsta

• Members
  • Ghana

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:21 PM Edited by KnobCheez, 23 August 2014 - 11:21 PM.

"Everything is bullsh*t."
The wisest words I've ever heard.....

Eris
  • Eris

Grill

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:28 PM

Who the f*ck is Paul Oliver and why should I care what he has to stay? 

• Moth and Frank Brown like this

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:29 PM

Lets just make this thread about the pointlessness and narcissism of social media charity challenges.

• Rown, D- Ice, Sting4S and 1 other like this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:32 PM Edited by darthYENIK, 23 August 2014 - 11:34 PM.

We've reached THAT phase have we?

The phase where people have to downplay charitable actions, even if they coincide with narcissism, because everyone is doing it, and if everyone is doing it then the hipster in people comes out against it.

Oh boohoo, you've seen more of these than you've ever wanted. Boohoo your Facebook feed is full of them. Who are the real narcissists here?
  • Spider-Vice, Hecate, Melchior and 11 others like this

SirMichaelRocks23
  • SirMichaelRocks23

The Filipino stuck in a cold region. :/

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:39 PM Edited by SirMichaelRocks23, 24 August 2014 - 12:30 AM.

The real narcissists are the ones that participate in said events, but don't provide any contribution. Actions speak louder than words, so somebody showing support by posting a status on a social media network only means that they speak the cause, but they don't play in any role to ensure the desired outcome is satisfied.

Take this ice bucket challenge for example.. out of everybody participating in it, how many are actually sending a donation to the association? Lou Gehrig's Disease ain't going to get funds for a cure with everybody dumping ice water over their heads without sending a bit of money.

• IveGotNoValues and matajuegos01 like this

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:40 PM Edited by Vlynor, 23 August 2014 - 11:40 PM.

This is seriously a non-issue. The challenge has brought in almost $53,000,000, more than 24x the $2,200,000 it raised during this period the year before.

• Moonshield, darthYENIK, Moth and 7 others like this

SirMichaelRocks23
  • SirMichaelRocks23

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:41 PM

This is seriously a non-issue. The challenge has brought in almost $53,000,000, more than 24x the $2,200,000 it raised during this period the year before.

WOW. I stand corrected.

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:43 PM Edited by Vlynor, 23 August 2014 - 11:43 PM.

WOW. I stand corrected.

That number is actually wrong. It's raised $62,500,000. The number I used was outdated.

http://www.alsa.org/...nge-082314.html

• Hecate, Sting4S and EphemeralStar like this

android
  • android

Moth is Invalid

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Italy
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:44 PM

Why would you waste water?

• LightningLord411 likes this

SirMichaelRocks23
  • SirMichaelRocks23

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:48 PM Edited by SirMichaelRocks23, 23 August 2014 - 11:49 PM.

WOW. I stand corrected.

That number is actually wrong. It's raised $62,500,000. The number I used was outdated.

http://www.alsa.org/...nge-082314.html

That's far more than I actually expected. With the load of celebrities participating now, that number may grow into the hundreds of millions. Let's hope the money's going to the right place.. my dad told me about what happened to Lou Gehrig. This disease is pretty brutal.

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:54 PM Edited by Vlynor, 23 August 2014 - 11:54 PM.

The amount of water used in the challenge per person is pretty small. What's it, 2-4 gallons? To put that in perspective, you use 50 gallons every ten minutes you spend showering.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:54 PM Edited by darthYENIK, 23 August 2014 - 11:56 PM.

My aunt died of ALS. It's a horrible disease. I can only hope the money and awareness the ice bucket challenge provides will someday save the lives and livelihood of people afflicted.

Edit:

The amount of water used in the challenge per person is pretty small. What's it, 2-4 gallons? To put that in perspective, you use 50 every ten minutes you spend showering.

It's a problem in California. We're in the middle of a severe drought, and many people are forgetting this while doing the ice bucket challenge. So far I've seen one person doing it right. Mr. Neil Gaiman. He went to the beach and used sea water.
  • Hecate likes this

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:59 PM

My aunt died of ALS. It's a horrible disease. I can only hope the money and awareness the ice bucket challenge provides will someday save the lives and livelihood of people afflicted.

Edit:

The amount of water used in the challenge per person is pretty small. What's it, 2-4 gallons? To put that in perspective, you use 50 every ten minutes you spend showering.

It's a problem in California. We're in the middle of a severe drought, and many people are forgetting this while doing the ice bucket challenge. So far I've seen one person doing it right. Mr. Neil Gaiman. He went to the beach and used sea water.

Sure, in CA it might be a problem, but it shouldn't really be one in most other states.

Jeone
  • Jeone

question authority

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:04 AM

Edit:

Sure, in CA it might be a problem, but it shouldn't really be one in most other states.
It might be a problem in cold places as covering yourself in ice and water will not be to good as you are freezing cold and in a cold place

Moth
  • Moth

Fiat justitia ruat caelum

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:19 AM

Edit:

It might be a problem in cold places as covering yourself in ice and water will not be to good as you are freezing cold and in a cold place

I really doubt someone in the North Pole or South Pole would do this outside. 

• Xyn likes this

Torcidas
  • Torcidas

rm -rf /

• Members

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:38 AM

OP, you might find this article quite the entertaining read. http://thebestpagein...cgi?u=pass_sopa

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

"Time moves forward, and nothing changes"- Max Payne

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:46 AM

Social media it self is pointless.
Also everything is bullsh*t, as mentioned on the second post.
  • Wayne Daniels likes this

Jeone
  • Jeone

question authority

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:48 AM

Edit:

I really doubt someone in the North Pole or South Pole would do this outside.
no I mean like canada or russia or alaska

Moth
  • Moth

Fiat justitia ruat caelum

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:12 AM

You do see the flag, right? It's not f*cking cold here, since it's summer.

If not, I'm Canadian. The northern hemisphere is in summer right now. Even in Alaska, it's warmish.
  • EphemeralStar likes this

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:15 AM

The ice bucket challenge may have started out as good cause but more and more people are doing it just because they've been challenged and don't care or even know about the purpose behind the challenge which is why I'm against it. 

For those of you who have completed the ice bucket challenge, call me when you've been put in a pool full of ice water at -10°C for an hour and had severe hypothermia induced and not been able to move whatsoever, then you'll truly know whats like to have ALS which is nothing like dumping a bucket of ice cubes over yourself.

• D- Ice, matajuegos01, CasualSergiu and 2 others like this

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:27 AM

The ice bucket challenge may have started out as good cause but more and more people are doing it just because they've been challenged and don't care or even know about the purpose behind the challenge which is why I'm against it. 

It still is a good cause. Again: http://www.alsa.org/...nge-082314.html

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:34 AM

I'm not disputing the fact that people are donating, but around here at least people are more concerned about completing the challenge than they are donating. 

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:38 AM

I'm not disputing the fact that people are donating, but around here at least people are more concerned about completing the challenge than they are donating. 

But does that matter? ALSA has raised a f*ckton of money because the challenge went viral. So what if a few people are just doing it for fun?

• Revenge of the Donut likes this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:09 AM

If you really read the statistics, 5% and less of the money is actually used towards research. Quite a crock of sh*t.

• dillono likes this

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:37 AM

If you really read the statistics, 5% and less of the money is actually used towards research. Quite a crock of sh*t.

Wanna try that again?

2014:

fye2014.jpg

• Flynny likes this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:22 AM Edited by GunWrath, 24 August 2014 - 04:25 AM.

That was back in January, you realize that ALS has raked in over 42mil now since July of this year? I'm trying to find the video of where someone shown the numbers of what percentage they actually use for research, numbers by the ALSA themselves. Can't remember the guy's name that did the video but I will find it.. just give me a bit of time to dig it up. I didn't want to believe it at first but he shows it on the camera and all. It's pretty f*cking ridiculous.. and to make his point clear, he only put like 5% of 100 cubes in a small bowl and said 'there, there's your 5% of a $100' or something along those lines.

What you're posting is from a pamplet, not actual financial records.. What he shown was actual ASLA financial records and I suppose that he was a volunteer or employee for the organization and wanted to get the truth out. Not sure about all that.. it went pretty viral but I'm still having trouble finding the video as it's buried under 9million other f*cking ice bucket challenges when I search for it. I'll find it eventually, if not, you'll just have to take my word for it.. up to you.

Besides that, the most annoying thing is that people are doing this challenge and have the slightest clue of what Lou Gehrig's Disease really is or know what the challenge is even for.. they're just doing it because they see everyone else doing it and it's social media.. ITS HOW TUH BE KEWL! They'll dump the water and not even donate a dime or even give a sh*t what the cause is for.

So, here's my advice. Unless you actually know someone with Gehrig's disease and genuinely feel your money is worth donating for their cause, go for it. If you have no family member, friend or loved one with the disease and don't want your money to go mainly into the pockets of the 'Administrators' or not used for actual research in finding a cure, keep the money in your pocket, save the water and don't challenge or accept the challenge.

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

Proletarian-funkadelicparliamentarian

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:26 AM

kony 2012 tho

• Moonshield, Banana, D- Ice and 8 others like this

Mockage
  • Mockage

Fljótavík

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:30 AM

I have no qualms with this ALS ice bucket challenge. If people wanna do it for fun, then by all means go ahead. As long as it promotes awareness for a good cause then that's all that matters. Not everybody is entitled to donate. Nobody is entitled to donate to something in general. It just irks me when some people complain when others do the ice bucket challenge, but don't donate at all. It's not like we're dealing with taxes, or paying off your loans. But then again, whenever another social media trend crops up you'll always have that one group who sits back and tries to weed out a reason as to why it's f*cking stupid, and why it's just another display of narcissism and conceit. This is different. There's tons of money being raised and a lot of people don't even acknowledge that. Do most people even know what Lou Gehrigs disease is? It's f*cking horrible.

This is one of the better social media trends and I'm glad it's occurring. You won't get those big numbers if a bunch of folks nominated each other to pour a bucket of ice over their head in a (somewhat) enjoyable fashion. Stop complaining and go find something else to grumble about.

Also GunWrath, you're mad.

• EphemeralStar likes this

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:57 AM Edited by Vlynor, 24 August 2014 - 04:58 AM.

What you're posting is from a pamplet, not actual financial records.. What he shown was actual ASLA financial records and I suppose that he was a volunteer or employee for the organization and wanted to get the truth out. Not sure about all that.. it went pretty viral but I'm still having trouble finding the video as it's buried under 9million other f*cking ice bucket challenges when I search for it. I'll find it eventually, if not, you'll just have to take my word for it.. up to you.

http://www.alsa.org/...nts-20final.pdf

Besides that, the most annoying thing is that people are doing this challenge and have the slightest clue of what Lou Gehrig's Disease really is or know what the challenge is even for.. they're just doing it because they see everyone else doing it and it's social media.. ITS HOW TUH BE KEWL! They'll dump the water and not even donate a dime or even give a sh*t what the cause is for.

So what? That's my question. Why does it even matter? They've raised more than 20x the amount they raised last year. That's a lot of money. That's a lot of donations. That's a lot of research. 

What is the problem with it, seriously? Are you mad that some kids are pouring buckets of ice water over their heads and having fun, while tons of money pours into the ALSA? And regarding the massive amounts of money they've taken in: they don't seem to update their financial records every month, it seems like once a year. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users