Photo

Traffic Vehicles like Saints Row

24 replies to this topic
Target13
  • Target13

Target locked.

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:17 PM Edited by Target13Productions, 23 August 2014 - 06:50 PM.

One of the many things that makes Saints Row (Well SR2 atleast) better than GTA is the Traffic.

In GTA (GTA V specially) you will find many cars of the same type over and over again. 

i.g: you will see 6 cars driving behind each other and all of them are Cavalcades, The only difference is the color.

I remember in a mission in GTA TBOGT where Yusuf Amir lands a helicopter in Star Junction, All the cars that crash where Feltzers.

The traffic becomes boring cause everyone in the GTA World owns the same car.

But in Saints Row, You hardly ever see the same car over and over in Traffic. And if you spot the same car you will notice some differences. Yes, the color but also the wheels. The wheels are always different. Yes there are default wheels for each car but in Traffic they are always different. Also there are Beater variants for almost every car in game. Hell, the luxury Justice has a beater variant parked somewhere.

Just today, in Saints Row 2, i was escaping from the cops and i stole a fully tuned out Pheonix that was stuck in a Traffic Jam. Fully Tuned! In Traffic! Last time i saw tuned cars in GTA was during races or missions, never in free roam. Thankfully there are slightly tuned Gang Cars in GTA V...but still. Those only spawn in the Ghetto.

I Hope Rockstar Games adds this kind of variety in the next Grand Theft Auto.

Not only does it make the world more alive and realistic but it also adds fun to the game.

TL;DR: In GTA all traffic cars are mostly the same. In Saints Row, Traffic cars are different as some have Spoilers, Body kits, Different Wheels or are having sick paints jobs on em.

Do you agree with me?

Please, Discuss.

• Blingy, TheKillerDonuts and EpicWafflez515 like this

PowerKracker
  • PowerKracker

Get me banned from this sh*thole

• BUSTED!
  • Tuvalu

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:20 PM Edited by AlfredNTheFettuc, 23 August 2014 - 05:28 PM.

I agree with this. I'll copy and paste a post I made a while ago:

Now that I look at it, the GTA engine is pretty inefficient at handling vehicle variations. Cars may have different details that are included with the model and just displayed when appropriate hexes are applied, but for example when they want to have liveries instead of full-on paintjobs or rusty variants, they need to be separate vehicles within the game files. They don't spawn randomly with various modifications either.

Saints Row 2 handled this much better - the cars could not only spawn with different possible cosmetic modification options, a rusted variant was just a texture applied to it - so you could actually take it to the mod shop to clean it up.

It was excusable in the PS2 era with SADLЅHIT and GLENЅHIT, but they really need to change it in the next game.

They do need to rework it. GTA IV and V may be on RAGE, but the games' structure is just an evolution of the PS2 GTAs. I hope they rebuild things when they make a new GTA for this gen.

• lol232 and Target13 like this

carbonjd
  • carbonjd

[v23x]

• New Members
  • England

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

Nice idea, there was some aspects from SR 1, 2 and 3 that I liked better then gta 5. Most will probably think this is stupid, but does anyone else think that maybe Rockstar and the people who made SR 1 and 2 should team up and make like a New gta together, it would be perfect. (not any of the aliens or stuff)

Nicolas Chiribelo
  • Nicolas Chiribelo

Teenage wasteland

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:47 PM

I don't get why R* hasn't fixed this yet. It's very annoying and kills the realism intended for the HD games.

Let's hope V next-gen improves the vehicle diversity.

• Tony. and Target13 like this

Blingy
  • Blingy

Nigga Ya Love Ta Hate

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

Yes. SR2 is really the only other sandbox game I play. After Saints Row 2, it turned into some sh*tty ass garbage.

• Tony., Miamivicecity, PowerKracker and 2 others like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:33 PM

TL;DR: In GTA all traffic cars are mostly the same. In Saints Row, Traffic cars are different as some have Spoilers, Body kits, Different Wheels or are having sick paints jobs on em.

Problem is, if GTA does this, every four cars in traffic is gonna be chrome with dollar rims and clown horns.

dreadluxx
  • dreadluxx

дрэдлоксъ

• Members
  • Ethiopia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:49 AM

I believe console limitations is why we see the same 3 cars 50 times on every block.

At least I hope.

Target13
  • Target13

Target locked.

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:06 AM

Problem is, if GTA does this, every four cars in traffic is gonna be chrome with dollar rims and clown horns.

In Saints Row, Sedans will have only Wheels from the Standard section.

I mean that Only low riders will be bearing Dayton wheels.

Each car type has its own selection of wheels, fortunately, this is selection is rather big meaning we have many unique cars in Saints Row.

• TheKillerDonuts likes this

supanaut
  • supanaut

Double O.G.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:35 AM

SR2 had the Bear, well not in traffic but at roadblocks... and you could paint it and store it in your garage.

Image what freeroam would be like with those things driving around!
  • Voit Turyv likes this

Target13
  • Target13

Target locked.

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:40 AM

SR2 had the Bear, well not in traffic but at roadblocks... and you could paint it and store it in your garage.

I could even Customize the Five O and turn it into a Saints PD Cruiser.

Saints Row 2 is amazing.

However, This is not what we are discussing.

dreadluxx
  • dreadluxx

дрэдлоксъ

• Members
  • Ethiopia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:23 AM

I could even Customize the Five O and turn it into a Saints PD Cruiser.

Saints Row 2 is amazing.

However, This is not what we are discussing.

sorry to be OT but in the first Saints Row you could take a taxi and turn it into a regular car. There was also an unmarked crown vic that only appears in one mission called The Interest, if I remember correctly you could customize that car too like take of the antennas and sh*t. There were a lot more beaters and even nice cars just driving around too. 

Again, I expect the diversity as well as density of traffic to be better on the PS4/XB1 versions of the game.

thedriver111
  • thedriver111

R.I.P. Top Gear

• Members
  • England

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:10 PM

In Franklin's new neighbourhood, Rapid GTs , Bullets, 9Fs etc. spawn so i aint gonna complain bout that. But yes, SR2 has a varietry of traffic and considering Gta 4 & 5 are realistic, they should implement it. Ps4 Pc version will have more traffic, so there might be a variety as well. But we dont know yet.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

Coded. Not stirred.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [GTA V and Steam]

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:17 PM Edited by theNGclan, 26 August 2014 - 07:18 PM.

Saints Row selects an assorted group of about 10 vehicle models within the proper range of a spawning location around the map.

So for example, let's say the player is in the Saints Row / Ultor district in SR2. The game will naturally read the population cycle for the area and randomly select some non-conventional vehicles. So the odds of getting something that is unique is low within a mod like GOTR (gentlemen of the row). It also includes different body modification for spawned vehicles, although they are pre-determined.

PLAYER PROXIMITY + LOCATIONAL VEHICLES + 3 RANDOM VEHICLES - PRESETS = SAINTS ROW TRAFFIC

So when you look at how it's handling vehicles, it's almost exactly similar to GTA's vehicle fetching service. There are very few differences. So the denser the traffic, the more likely vehicles will be random on screen.

/thread

Blingy
  • Blingy

Nigga Ya Love Ta Hate

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

Saints Row selects an assorted group of about 10 vehicle models within the proper range of a spawning location around the map.

So for example, let's say the player is in the Saints Row / Ultor district in SR2. The game will naturally read the population cycle for the area and randomly select some non-conventional vehicles. So the odds of getting something that is unique is low within a mod like GOTR (gentlemen of the row). It also includes different body modification for spawned vehicles, although they are pre-determined.

PLAYER PROXIMITY + LOCATIONAL VEHICLES + 3 RANDOM VEHICLES - PRESETS = SAINTS ROW TRAFFIC

So when you look at how it's handling vehicles, it's almost exactly similar to GTA's vehicle fetching service. There are very few differences.

I just feel like SR2 handles it tons better though. Like regardless what area you're in, you're always going to see the same three vehicles unless you go to another side of the map. That sounds weird, but in GTA when you're driving around, lets say Rockford Hills. You'll see a Granger, a Sentinel, and lets say a Regina. If you drive all around the entire center section of the map, that's ALL you're going to see. If you go to Shady Shores or whatever the f*ck it is, you'll see like a Voodoo, a Surfer, and like a Quad. In SR2, you see all types of different vehicles regardless of where you are in the map.

hvcciookay
  • hvcciookay

• Members
  • Wallis-And-Futuna

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

Wow, i never noticed how random the traffic really was in SR3. Great point!

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:32 PM Edited by Lazyboy., 26 August 2014 - 08:37 PM.

You seem to be forgetting that:

- In SR, traffic is far less dense. GTA handles a lot more cars on screen than SR does.
- Traffic disappears A LOT more than it does in GTA. Like, seriously. Play SR2, find a traffic car, turn around and go back. 9 times out of 10 it will have disappeared, making rare car hunting a pain in the arse. f*ck you, Quasar. 
- The draw distance for cars is a lot lower, cars popping in as you drive along is much more noticeable than GTA.

and of course, you could argue that SR2's graphics and physics are a lot less demanding than GTA's.

Either way, I agree that GTA's traffic is quite repetitve.
With next-gen though, I want a lot less focus on pretty graphics and more focus on f*cking up everyone's CPUs. I want a f*ckload of traffic, I want extreme car damage, I want hundreds of layers of custom vinyls, i want vehicle handling to simulate things at Gran Turismo level.

PS3s can handle a decent amount at 720p 30fps. WIth next-gen instead of improving gameplay they're just setting pointless boundaries. Who gives a f*ck about 1080p there's hardly any difference, same with fps. As long as it runs smooth it's fine.
  • Blingy and supanaut like this

Shadowlarvitar
  • Shadowlarvitar

Proud Saints Row Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

I agree that R* should fix this.

Yes. SR2 is really the only other sandbox game I play. After Saints Row 2, it turned into some sh*tty ass garbage.

*cough* Opinion.

The whole series was amazing.

PowerKracker
  • PowerKracker

Get me banned from this sh*thole

• BUSTED!
  • Tuvalu

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

One thing of note also is the fact that the clumping actually got worse since GTA IV.

The PS2 GTAs spawned limited vehicles at a time, but the selection was alright. However, in GTA IV you'd end up with VERY samey traffic, to the point that you may see an entire street of the car you're currently driving parked at curbside. Makes you feel like you're watching car meetups all the time.

Blingy
  • Blingy

Nigga Ya Love Ta Hate

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

I agree that R* should fix this.

*cough* Opinion.

The whole series was amazing.

You would be the first person, probably in the entire world, to say that.

• lazy. and dreadluxx like this

EpicWafflez515
  • EpicWafflez515

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:08 PM

So....

..GhosT
  • ..GhosT

GTAForums Veteran

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:21 PM

Mh... Saints Row 2.. fantastic memories.

Awesome game. Its a shame that its got such a crappy performance on the pc port that its almost unplayable even with a high end rig.

Saints Row 3 and 4 kinda killed the series, and its overall appearance.

• Blingy likes this

Blingy
  • Blingy

Nigga Ya Love Ta Hate

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:28 PM

Awesome game. Its a shame that its got such a crappy performance on the pc port that its almost unplayable even with a high end rig.

I'm glad you told me that, because i've been eyeing it on Steam for months now..

• ..GhosT likes this

..GhosT
  • ..GhosT

GTAForums Veteran

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:37 PM

I'm glad you told me that, because i've been eyeing it on Steam for months now..

You could just get it.. u know what i mean.

Gamespy shut down so its multiplayer/coop part doesnt even work anymore (except you create a fake lan).

You wont touch it anymore when youre through with the quite awesome story anyway.

If its cheap you should buy it, its worth it, if we are talking about SR2. - 3 and 4 aint worth it at all.

I dont know if its better with the patches tbh since ive only played it without any patch.

Blingy
  • Blingy

Nigga Ya Love Ta Hate

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:09 AM

Gamespy shut down so its multiplayer/coop part doesnt even work anymore (except you create a fake lan).

You wont touch it anymore when youre through with the quite awesome story anyway.

If its cheap you should buy it, its worth it, if we are talking about SR2. - 3 and 4 aint worth it at all.

I dont know if its better with the patches tbh since ive only played it without any patch.

I mean, I bought it on 360 when it first came out but I wanted it for the PC to try and mod it. I know the modding community is literally next to nothing for it. I HATED 3, and didn't even care to try 4. I beat 3 in about one day, and that hasn't happened to me since GTA III.

EpicWafflez515
  • EpicWafflez515

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:17 AM

I mean, I bought it on 360 when it first came out but I wanted it for the PC to try and mod it. I know the modding community is literally next to nothing for it. I HATED 3, and didn't even care to try 4. I beat 3 in about one day, and that hasn't happened to me since GTA III.

So you played SR3 for 14 hours in one day? No Life! JK but still who I am to judge I beat AC4 in 2 days and maybe lots of other games I can't remember when I finish them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users