Laptop does not power up immediately

6 replies to this topic
FiS!!HeR
  • FiS!!HeR

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

I've been having a frustrating problem with my Laptop, but I didn't bother to fix it until it has gotten worse recently. When I press the power button to turn on the computer if it's shut down or put on sleep, it doesn't power up immediately. Sometimes it works as soon as I touch the power button, but in other times, I keep pushing the power button down for a few minutes until it powers up. 

I don't know if it's a problem with the power button itself or with something else. Could it be something related to the power supply? I have this long dead battery that can't keep the computer working for more than 5-10 minutes if the power cord isn't connected. However, I tried to disconnect the battery to see if the laptop would power up immediately if it's receiving power from the power supply directly, but nothing changed and the problem is still persistent. What do you suggest to fix the problem? 

ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

http://en.kioskea.ne...ot-turn-back-on

FiS!!HeR
  • FiS!!HeR

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:59 PM Edited by FiS!!HeR, 21 August 2014 - 09:00 PM.

None of these videos proved to be helpful as I watched them before. Again, it's not that the laptop doesn't work, but it only does so after I get one of my fingers swollen as a result of pushing down the power button so many times until the laptop miraculously powers up. On random occasions, the laptop works as immediately as my finger touches the power button, but this didn't happen for a few weeks and mayn't happen again. 

Graven
  • Graven

Boss

• The Connection
  • Finland
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:48 AM

I had a laptop with a "dead" battery. It basically self-shut down in a minute, without a power cord on wall. With a cord it ran normally. I did not check the links, but I would go through the power settings next time. There might be a limiter setting, which prevents it from booting, because You don't have enough power in battery? I have never though why You can't run laptop without a battery, it's probably for safety reasons so that You would not ruin the laptop if You used incompatible charger.

FiS!!HeR
  • FiS!!HeR

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

It seems, for sure, that the problem is directly related to the power button. I can't now turn on the laptop without applying hard pressure on the button to a degree that I feel some pain in my finger. 

FiS!!HeR
  • FiS!!HeR

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:44 PM Edited by FiS!!HeR, 23 August 2014 - 08:44 PM.

I've finally solved the problem. I disassembled the laptop and cleaned the bottom of the power button. It was dirty enough to make no contact with the on-circuit power button.

• Android likes this

Android
  • Android

Nitrogen iodine carbon potassium

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:01 AM

Glad it's fixed :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic