Photo

Microsoft set to unveil Windows 10 in September

46 replies to this topic
ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

Windows 9 coming 2015 Will u upgrade.....Beta start this Fall it will change rapidly over the months 

2015 going be a big year for next gen tech 

Microsoft is planning to unveil its Windows 8 successor next month at a special press event. Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that the software maker is tentatively planning its press event for September 30th to detail upcoming changes to Windows as part of a release codenamed "Threshold." This date may change, but the Threshold version of Windows is currently in development and Microsoft plans to release a preview version of what will likely be named Windows 9 to developers on September 30th or shortly afterwards. The date follows recent reports from ZDNet that suggested Microsoft is planning to release a preview version of Windows 9 in late September or early October.

A very early Windows 9 version for developers

The early technology preview will give developers a first look at the new mini Start Menu in Windows 9, alongside the removal of the Charms bar feature and several UI changes. Microsoft is currently compiling builds of Threshold ready for the preview that include an early version of Cortana, but it’s not clear if this particular feature will be made available as part of the technology preview.

While Threshold is likely to be named Windows 9, it’s unlikely that Microsoft will name its upcoming Windows release at its press event. Instead, Microsoft is said to be planning an overview of key new features of the upcoming operating system, with a technical preview ready for developers and enthusiasts. Microsoft is also building a separate combined version of Windows RT and Windows Phone, and the company may take the time to detail this work during its press event. Either way, Microsoft’s next version of Windows is nearing completion and the company will be ready to talk more about it next month.

the Windows 9 preview will be similar to how Microsoft first let developers test Windows 8, with features not fully complete or missing. ZDNet claims updates will be pushed to users who install the preview on an automatic basis, meaning the release will change rapidly over the coming months before it's finally ready. Existing internal versions of Threshold include a new mini Start Menu, "Metro-style" apps that float in separate windows on the desktop, a virtual desktops feature, the removal of the Charms bar feature, and an early version of Cortana. Microsoft is also making several UI changes to Windows 9, including some tweaks on the desktop to improve upon Windows 8.

http://www.zdnet.com...ber-7000032668/

http://www.theverge....event-september

android
  • android

Moth is Invalid

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Italy
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:07 PM

Hell yeah. I can't wait, even though I have no issues or faults with Windows 8.

VIPΣR
  • VIPΣR

R.I.P Far Cry franchise

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

I can't wait. Hopefully it's not going to be the same mess as Win 8 was at the beginning.

android
  • android

Moth is Invalid

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Italy
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:53 PM

I am really hoping that it ties in the Metro & Original Windows look and feel.

TPenterprise
  • TPenterprise

***Leader - WMCC *** ***Lieutenant - SURF***

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:02 PM

Sorry if I'm a bit behind on the news but didn't Windows 8 like just come out not long ago? (I don't keep up to date with this stuff so excuse my ignorance)

android
  • android

Moth is Invalid

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Italy
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

Windows 8 released to the general public in October of 2012.

I think I'm gonna build a new PC when this releases, we'll see how it goes.

one55
  • one55

Dirty Playstation Peasant!

• Members

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:24 PM Edited by one55, 14 September 2014 - 05:24 PM.

i wish windows 8 had an option to disable metro but it's not a big deal. it would just be nice to have a choice.

apart from that i don't really know what windows 9 can do to improve the OS. i really don't have any problems using it.

i'll probably upgrade when it comes out anyway.

Mockage
  • Mockage

Fljótavík

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:00 PM

Still no aero? Come on, Windows 8 looks lifeless and flat as it is without aero. At least add some aero Microsoft.

• na89340qv0n34b09q340 likes this

android
  • android

Moth is Invalid

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Italy
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:20 PM

Windows 9 Technical Preview screenshots leak

September 11th, 2014

Screenshots of the upcoming Windows 9 have leaked from its Technical Preview release. The screenshots show a refreshed user interface with some new, flat iconography, alongside the long awaited return of the classic Start menu.

gsmarena_021.jpg

See more here: http://blog.gsmarena...reenshots-leak/

Codenamed Threshold, Windows 9 is anticipated to bring some new features as well. One of them is the highly anticipated option to add a bunch of workspaces. Akin to Linux, those workspaces can hold different applications and make switching between different working environments a breeze.

As you’ll notice in one of the screenshots, Windows 9 runs on just 1GB of RAM, which means that Microsoft has done some serious under the hood work to optimize the OS.

Additionally, there’s a new notification center on the bottom right, which presumably will let you know about incoming mail and general new events from supported applications. Gone is the charms bar, too. It’s shortcuts to Search, Share and Settings will find their way on the top left corner of apps. However, Charms are rumored to stay on Windows 9 for tablets and touch devices.

Microsoft is expected to unveil Windows 9 to the world on September 30. Then the company might also release a preview of the OS, but full-blown release is expected to happen early 2015.

Windows 9′s new Start menu demoed on video

September 12th, 2014

gsmarena_001.jpg

The Windows 9 leaks just keep on coming. Following yesterday’s screenshot fest of the new Microsoft operating system, now we are greeted with a video showing how the new Start menu functions.

While this is by no means a final product, we can get the idea behind the new Windows 9 Start menu. It’s a blend between the classic and Metro versions of the menu. You can pin apps to the right and choose their icon size. The larger it is, the more information it shows. As a result, the weather is much like a widget at its largest size.

Furthermore, you get a classic list of all the apps installed on the left. You can search this list easily, too. Check out the video below to see the Start menu in action.

Here’s hoping Microsoft continues its rundown the right path with Windows 9 and introduce a somewhat more refreshed UI more in line with what we are all expecting.

• Stinky12, RedDagger, Shou and 1 other like this

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

Start menu? Sold. The only reason why I didn't "upgrade" to Windows 8 the awful awful awful metro Bs. I love the performance.
  • hornedturtle likes this

Cornerstone
  • Cornerstone

But I'm not a rapper.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:08 PM

Good, cause Windows 8 is a confusing mess. Fast or not.

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:19 PM

Not a big fan of the layout for the enlarged version, other than that it looks good.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:46 PM

That actually looks nice. And if it runs just on 1 GB of RAM, massive props to them. That's serious work right there. My laptop has 4 GB RAM so i can imagine how smooth it would be.

• android likes this

android
  • android

Moth is Invalid

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Italy
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:55 PM

That actually looks nice. And if it runs just on 1 GB of RAM, massive props to them. That's serious work right there. My laptop has 4 GB RAM so i can imagine how smooth it would be.

Same here, I'm wondering how great this will run on both my laptop and my semi-classic PC.

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Helpfulness Award
    Helpfulness Award [Technology]

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:31 AM

Isn't it the same story as with 8? That is, didn't they brag about 8 being able to run on 1GB of RAM?

hornedturtle
  • hornedturtle

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:37 AM

Part of microsofts rules with making OS is to make every second version good, so chances are it will be good.

android
  • android

Moth is Invalid

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Italy
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:45 AM

Please keep in mind, this is from a non American/English site, so Google Translate may have messed up in some portions of the text.

TL;DR - Windows 9 will be free if you already use Windows 8/8.1

Microsoft CEO: Windows 9 Free, Provided ...

182811_windows9.jpg

Windows 9 is still not fully confirmed, but the CEO & President Director of Microsoft Indonesia Andrew Diantoro say that the last version of the operating system besutannya will be obtained for free. touted Microsoft itself ready to hold a special event on 30 September that predicted stage will be the birth of Windows 9 Improvisation is present on the successor of Windows 8 is the return of the start menu and buried digital assistant Cortana. Interestingly, according to Andreas, the latest generation of the OS that has the nickname Threshold can be obtained free of charge when it is released later. Provided that users already have Windows 8 already installed on his device. "Easy, when the OS (Windows 9) was launched later, users who have been using Windows 8 just need to do the update via his device. It will be installed automatically, "he said at the Hotel Mulia, Jakarta, Thursday (25/09/2014). , but the file sizes are usually quite large, good users who want to update to have a stable connection. As for users who do not use Windows 8, of course, obliged to buy Windows 9 when it is released later on if you want to feel it. (Jude / ash)

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:20 PM

it would be nice if they allowed to download a Windows 9 ISO as well. That'd be convenient.
  • android likes this

android
  • android

Moth is Invalid

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Italy
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:53 PM

http://www.theverge....site-windows-th

Microsoft reveals 'Windows TH' naming on new Technical Preview site

f431c35797030ef593a2ea52e644e98d.png

Microsoft is expected to name its upcoming Windows release next week, but the company has accidentally listed a "Windows TH" site a little early today. Windows TH presumably stands for Windows Threshold, the codename of what many expect will become Windows 9. On a "Windows Technical Preview for Enterprise" site, Microsoft lists the Windows TH name, alongside details on "the next version of the Windows client operating system." While Microsoft will detail Windows Threshold on Tuesday at an event in San Francisco, the company isn't expected to release a preview of the operating system until early October. The Windows TH name is likely a placeholder, or it may indicate the company isn't ready to fully name its next version of Windows.

Microsoft's early leak of the Technical Preview site also suggests the company may be preparing to launch the preview as early as next week, shortly after its event. There are links to "what's new for IT professionals," but the pages do not appear to exist just yet. Windows Threshold Preview is expected to include the new Start Menu, a notification center, a virtual desktops feature, and some UI changes to the desktop. Microsoft is also launching a "Windows Insider Preview Program" that will provide enthusiasts and IT professionals with the latest preview builds of Windows Threshold as soon as they're available in exchange for feedback on changes and features.

windowsth.0.jpg

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:11 AM Edited by lol232, 28 September 2014 - 09:17 AM.

I just hope it's going to have a lot of gaming support.

android
  • android

Moth is Invalid

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Italy
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:39 PM

http://www.usatoday....ndows/16474073/

SAN FRANCISCO - Microsoft on Tuesday lifted the veil on the next version of Windows: Windows 10.

At an event in San Francisco focused on corporate users, Microsoft previewed early elements of the next generation of its iconic computer operating system.

It represents the first step in a whole new generation of Windows, said Microsoft executive Terry Myerson.

The company said it will focus on one Windows product family across devices. Its corporate users will find Windows 10 "familiar, compatible and productive," Myerson said.

Microsoft's Joe Belfiore gave a demo, focused on the core experience in how the PC "is evolving."

There are live tiles, familiar to Windows 8 users, but also elements familiar to Windows 7 users, which is far more widely deployed. The Start menu and taskbar are front and center.

1412102006000-09-30startMenu-Page.jpg

Yes, the company is skipping the "Windows 9" moniker. Why skip "9"?

"When you see the product in its fullness I think you will agree with us that it is a more appropriate name," Myerson said.

Among other things, Belfiore said the company wants to focus on personalization, to make the Windows experience particular to individual users' tastes and preferences.

"We are trying to hit this balance in just the right way," Belfiore said.

Starting Wednesday, Microsoft is launching a Windows Insider program and will release a technical preview of Windows 10 for laptops and desktops, with other devices to follow.

Microsoft will start talking more about the consumer experience next year at the company's developer conference in the spring, Myerson said. It expects to launch Windows 10 "later in 2015."

Myerson emphasized that the insider program is for people who are comfortable "running pre-release software that will be of variable quality."

"We want to set expectations right," he said. "We are planning to share more than we ever have before...Windows 10 will be our most collaborative, open OS project ever."

Microsoft has been talking broadly about its Windows strategy for months. At its developer conference in April, CEO Satya Nadella and other Microsoft executives outlined ways in which it would make it easier for software developers to create applications that will work across all Microsoft devices – PCs, phones and tablets.

Ahead of the event, researcher Forrester said the pressure is on for Microsoft to address the needs of its business customers given the sluggish adoption of Windows 8.

"Only about 1 in 5 organizations is offering Windows 8 PCs to employees right now," Forrester analyst David Johnson said in a note.

Microsoft's last big Windows overhaul – 2012's tablet and touch-friendlyWindows 8 – was a dramatic departure from the familiar and well-received Windows 7 that preceded it. It left many consumers frustrated over the disappearance of the familiar Start button and desktop.

Windows 8 has since been updated to add features that make it more comfortable for people who prefer more traditional mouse-and-keyboard interactions.

Wall Street so far has embraced Nadella's big moves since being named CEO in February. The stock is up about 25 percent this year. It was at around $46 in mid-day trading Tuesday.

After the announcement, analyst Daniel Ives with research firm FBR said a unified Microsoft platform "is music to ears of CIOs worldwide." It could also open "massive opportunities" on the consumer front in coming years, he said.

In July, the company announced a massive layoff that would trim some 18,000 jobs, many aimed at its $7.2 billion Nokia acquisition. Earlier this year, it announced Office for iPad, a long overdue version of its bread-and-butter productivity software for Apple's popular tablet.

And just this month, Microsoft said it will acquire the studio that created the hit "sandbox" game Minecraft for $2.5 billion, a move that could help bolster both Xbox and the company's mobile ambitions.

Vanto
  • Vanto

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:57 PM

I checked if today's April's Fools. Nope, it's real.

• DeafMetal likes this

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:32 PM

Well, whatever they say, I have absolutely no idea why they named it Windows 10 instead of Windows 9. But I definitely like the look of it, its mostly a mix of Windows 7 and 8 and doesn't look over complicated at the same time.

T00 N0RMAL 4 U
  • T00 N0RMAL 4 U

It's the menopause again, that never happened

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:14 PM

If they skipped 9, then it's probably gonna be bad.
But it looks promising to be honest.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:26 PM

Windows 8 speed with Windows 7 layout? Sign me up.

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:40 PM

I hate to say it, but... even "Windows One" would make more sense than "Windows 10".

android
  • android

Moth is Invalid

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Italy
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:56 PM

Using Windows 10 without the Metro start screen, is basically a reskinned Windows 7.

acva5Tl.png

mx86SU5.png

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:00 PM Edited by Kalvin, 01 October 2014 - 08:00 PM.

inb4 next windows (after windows 10) is called windows 9

Finite
  • Finite

Solitude

• Members
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:03 PM

Windows 10, because 7 ate 9.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

ey b0ss, got skippy?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:38 PM

Interesting. A new Windows version this early? Something's up.

inb4 all exes must be signed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users