Photo

Is Rockstar Games slowly going downhill

103 replies to this topic
ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:23 PM

Lately I seeing alot of people disappointed with Rockstar in terms of release date, pointless dlc although it free, no release date yet for PS4/Xbox One/PC for GTA5 they claim it going fall 2014 but I see rumors it might be push back to early 2015, overpriced items on GTA Online 

Do u agree ? state your thoughts 

• Phoenix_Poop likes this

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

"Time moves forward, and nothing changes"- Max Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

Lately I seeing alot of people disappointed with Rockstar in terms of release date, pointless dlc although it free, no release date yet for PS4/Xbox One/PC for GTA5 they claim it going fall 2014 but I see rumors it might be push back to early 2015, overpriced items on GTA Online 

Do u agree ? state your thoughts 

Yeah I agree, they should get their sh*t together and forget about updates and online focus crap. But that doesn't mean its there downfall. Depends on how the next GTA game is and the future of the series.
  • Journey_95, theGTAking101, Smoke Cat and 5 others like this

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

Basketballs don't hold grudges.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:33 PM Edited by Shenmue18, 19 August 2014 - 10:33 PM.

Even though I thought GTA V was bad, I'm not going to say Rockstar is going downhill just because they made one crappy game. Most developers have a few bad games, and as much critical acclaim as Rockstar gets, they're not going to be 100% perfect, I wouldn't jump the gun and say Rockstar as a whole is trash now, just because GTA V was.

• Blingy, PreciousWall, ThatSpecialSomeone and 8 others like this

Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:38 PM

They're Rockstar, so no.
  • Phoenix_Poop, Cakelover21, iainspad and 2 others like this

TheFunkyBunch
  • TheFunkyBunch

5 Ft 8 Of Pure Sexiness

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:05 PM

In what Sense ? in terms of Sales their at an all time High 

in terms of Quality their Also  at an all time High 

Their Storytelling has improved immensely IMO  and they have made some of the best Games Last Gen 

Gta IV + Gta V 

Episodes From LC 

Red Dead 

Max Payne 3 

L.A Noire  (it had  Enough R* Employes working on the game to make it a R* Game before anyone says Otherwise) 

Are Proof in Point that R* Are in No Way Going Down Hill.

• GroundZero, Luddite, OneManCrimeWave and 7 others like this

J-B
  • J-B

Two Faced

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:05 PM

More like GTA kiddies are getting more melodramatic.

• Rock Howard, PreciousWall, DoubleDutch and 7 others like this

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:17 PM

This belongs in series chat.

• Phoenix_Poop likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:22 PM

It feels like they are, comparing their business tactics/game quality to the likes of VC and III.

Back to my early/mid 2000's warphole for me.

homer_bush_by_dallas1185-d3c5rhv.gif

• PreciousWall, sqre, Mr_Leone and 6 others like this

Left4TheUndead
  • Left4TheUndead

A True R*

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:22 PM

Even though I thought GTA V was bad, I'm not going to say Rockstar is going downhill just because they made one crappy game. Most developers have a few bad games, and as much critical acclaim as Rockstar gets, they're not going to be 100% perfect, I wouldn't jump the gun and say Rockstar as a whole is trash now, just because GTA V was.

Rockstar may have made one bad game but infinity ward have made loads :)

• theGTAking101, Feurian42, Phoenix_Poop and 3 others like this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired Gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:41 PM Edited by Zello, 19 August 2014 - 11:42 PM.

Sam and Dan Houser right now

tumblr_mt9y36Gp7l1qfbsl5o2_400.gif

I do think that R* needs to focus on their other games (Agent where are you!!!) just so they can identify themselves with other things than GTA just so they don't end up like other developers milking the same cow until you cant anymore

• HexagoN, Cakelover21 and Left4TheUndead like this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:48 PM

Kids are slowly getting more addicted to melodramatic ways of expressing nostalgia, more like.

• Dope_0110 likes this

Militia
  • Militia

Unique/Proof/EC Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:53 PM

Yup, like the guy said above ^^^

The business tactics these days seemed to have dimished the quality of GTA V, and usually progression follows.  If they stick to what they are doing now and the progression of just focusing with the Online Mode, then V is the last game I spend any money on.

• sqre, Osho and Judicious 7 like this

Luddite
  • Luddite

Ho Rider

• Members

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:21 AM

From when exactly?

kevin de santa
  • kevin de santa

Thug

• BUSTED!
  • Ireland

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:23 AM

Lol some people are delusional if anything rock star are at a all time high the game has been out nearly a year and there still making money (cash cards game sales) it was generally well received by public as much as I hate to admit it GTA online is a success or else people wouldn't be playing it

jeanrjm
  • jeanrjm

Tactical

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:27 AM

GTA IV(2008) Awesome
Red Dead Redemption (2010) Awesome
L.A Noire (2011) Awesome
Max Payne 3 (2012) Good
GTA V (2013) Crap

Yeah, slowly going downhill.

But it is not uncommon amongst game companies.
Look at Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Need for Speed. All once great and now crap.
  • theGTAking101, Zello, Militia and 1 other like this

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:31 AM

GTA IV(2008) Awesome
Red Dead Redemption (2010) Awesome
L.A Noire (2011) Awesome
Max Payne 3 (2012) Good
GTA V (2013) Crap

Yeah, slowly going downhill.

But it is not uncommon amongst game companies.
Look at Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Need for Speed. All once great and now crap.

Max Payne 3 was awesome.
  • PreciousWall, Th3MaN1, Andreas and 3 others like this

Militia
  • Militia

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:32 AM Edited by Militia, 20 August 2014 - 12:33 AM.

@Kevin, Rockstar being at an all time high is irrelevant, imo.  As there is new guys jumping on the GTA bandwagon (I mean, there is 8 billion people on earth and counting...), which obviously has them hooked, thus generating more "fans" for Rockstar, which ultimately will get them more money.

Idc if Rockstar is making 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 dollars a nano second, cuz at the end of the day a lot of old fans from the series will probably just move on and abandon GTA in its tracks.

The only incentive I have to play V now a days is the recently updated Save Editor now allows us to make AP (All Proof) vehicles which means BP/DP/EP/FP (Bulletproof, Damageproof, Explosionproof, and Fireproof)...So basically through "mods" is the only way V becomes fun for me.

So if I am not satisfied with the product, why would I continue to buy the games?  It's my money, I can do what I want with it.

Also it doesn't matter how much revenue Rockstar generates from gullible idiots who overhype the game.  The bottom line is GTA V is easily focused around Online and if people don't see that then THAT is what makes them delusional and in denial.  It's f*cking clear as day.  There is no excuses...

• sqre likes this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired Gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:32 AM

Lol some people are delusional if anything rock star are at a all time high the game has been out nearly a year and there still making money (cash cards game sales) it was generally well received by public as much as I hate to admit it GTA online is a success or else people wouldn't be playing it

Anything with a R* logo sells I mean just look at this

39561_front.jpg

The R* logo is iconic in gaming just like the Yankee cap is to baseball

• Militia, jeanrjm and iainspad like this

Militia
  • Militia

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:35 AM Edited by Militia, 20 August 2014 - 12:38 AM.

This ^^^^^^^

"Product from Rockstar" - I'll buy it!

^^^^^^^  This is exactly what I am talking about.  People just buy these games because of the once great, fun, open world games they created.  And if you're someone who has been there from the start and really playing these games as intended and doing 100% with them all and everything you possibly can, it's clear that GTA V lacks in a f*ckton of areas...

There's gotta be a reason why I can enjoy III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLaD, TBoGT and not V.  There's always a reason.  However, I am not sure why I don't like V.  I reckon it's too scripted and flat out f*cking predictable and boring.

Not to mention you get a wanted level for everything (which I actually don't mind) but then you gotta waste time "hiding" from the police which unusually takes so long to disappear unlike every f*cking past game.  They just changed too much with V and the new changes are simply not welcomed at all...

• ObsydianRaven, sqre, robrabbitman and 2 others like this

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:44 AM Edited by NYC PATROL, 20 August 2014 - 12:45 AM.

Everyone just gets angry at R*s marketing techniques.(Which is totally understandable) R* says a few weeks - it's really a few months later. They say coming spring - well it's delayed. Silence for extended amount of time after announcing something - WTF where is the news?

R* has to be more open with the community. They also have to be 100% sure when they announce something. They need to cut down on delays. (At least public delays)

Product wise. They are putting out blockbuster after blockbuster. They continue to be one of the top video game developers. If not the top. No worries there.

• OneManCrimeWave, Zello, iainspad and 1 other like this

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

I know you've been complaining, but you weren't ready.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:51 AM

What they need is to get their sh*t together inside their studios and departments. The reviews widely available around the internet just mirror exactly what is going on and why: Lack of interaction with the community, ridiculous bugs in their games, extreme game delays, etc. It's not that they release bad updates or bad games, they have a huge amount of talent, but with such a bizarre amount of mismanagement, this could end up with them having a rocket shot into their heads.

• Cutter De Blanc, Andreas, Osho and 6 others like this

iainspad
  • iainspad

Souled Out to The New World Order

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:21 AM

More like GTA kiddies are getting more melodramatic.

/thread

(I mean, there is 8 billion people on earth and counting...)

As much as your comment has a lot of other flaws I can make fun of, this one catches me out. Where the f*ck did the extra 1 billion people come from?

Maybe you should start reading facts and practice grammar before you let your sperm coated fingers loose on a keyboard.
  • Spider-Vice, hc41 and OneManCrimeWave like this

AndrewDeSanta
  • AndrewDeSanta

Republitarian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:31 AM

Yes, but very slowly. They need to refocus on what made GTA great and that's single player. Forget Online for a while and focus on what really makes the game, the reason people buy it.

• universetwisters, Zello, ARC8_1982 and 1 other like this

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:44 AM

Yes, but very slowly. They need to refocus on what made GTA great and that's single player. Forget Online for a while and focus on what really makes the game, the reason people buy it.

This, GTA V should've been filled with lots of weapons and vehicles. With a decent multiplayer like GTA 4.
Also do you think that online for games should be sold separately, like a download.

Osho
  • Osho

The Jackal

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:03 AM

It's too early to say whether they're or not, as developers, and also until the complete version and final release happens.
That being said, I honestly feel the quality of single-player gaming that we used to enjoy enough of exciting gameplay and highly replayable content with original games, definitely looks like going downhill because of the arrival of ONLINE.
There are many good things absent or gone forever, and even the DLC won't change it altogether!
It was an okay and an average single-player to me.
I can't play the game without having this constant feeling about so many bad changes and missed opportunities present in the single player, that have no relation with console limitations either.
I believe most of the strong hints arise from much better and promising ONLINE gaming, which is not bound by any limitations and will keep evolving, getting stronger, by much better content, levels, missions etc., eventually diminishing the appeal of single-player and outright killing the kind of craze and interest seen in single-player with each new title announcement, and thus we'll have more casualized, limited and feature-less SP offerings.
That's why there's so much disappointment among the single player fans.
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340, Militia, SonLantos88 and 1 other like this

Shadowlarvitar
  • Shadowlarvitar

Proud Saints Row Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:15 AM

I enjoyed 5 more than their other games......I still play 5 daily/weekly. It's your f*cking opinion if it's "bad", some of you are just butthurt Johnny died.

I think they've improved. They just need to stop focusing on Online and make more Single Player stuff.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Disreputable Mexican Pharmacist

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2013 "The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story."

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:45 AM Edited by Drunken Cowboy, 20 August 2014 - 07:45 AM.

People here are focusing too much on personal opinion about V.

To talk about their ethics and performance as a BUSINESS, no one f*cking cares if you liked or disliked V.

Based on those perimeters, I'm going to say "yes" to the question. Let's survey the dirty business practices that are catalysts to the deterioration of the games industry. Most AAA developers, EA, Activision, Ubisoft, are succumbing to five of the biggest sins to hit the industry:

Pre-Order Bonuses / Exclusive Editions

A small vice, but a destructive one nonetheless. Several different tiers of pre-order bonuses are meant to engender a feeling of urgency into a gullible audience with entirely too much money (f*cking children) to pay over double the price of the game... for what? Extra clothing and vehicles? Minorly tweaked weapons? A hat? Stuff drawn up by the art department in five minutes? In reality: cheap horsesh*t nowhere near worth the extra money AND the risk that the game might not be up to snuff. Excellent video on the topic of bogus pre-order bonus trends in the game industry.

Copious Emphasis on Update and DLC / Pay2Win

If you are going to divert so much focus away from the single player campaign to promote multiplayer, then actually build up a functioning and coherent multiplayer. The multiplayer was released in a miserably broken state over a week after the game's release, and it was a mere shell of its potential. Numerous DLC packs followed, as did basic missions that support variety. The certered feature that arguably was supposed to make the multiplayer isn't even out nearly a year after the game's release. Why should they release it? They have your pre-order money for their unfinished games. I will give R* credit for releasing the DLC packs for free, that's cool on their part. Of course, they make that money back. After the purchases of a $60 release come the cash cards. Jobs are deliberately nerfed to force their sale. Nearly everything in GTA Online that is remotely fun is dependent on cash: weapons, ammunition, vehicles, fixing/upgrading/insuring vehicles, a place to store those vehicles, dying, all add up to monumental cost. What do you do? Endless grinding made near impossible, exploit their broken game for millions of virtual payola causing hacker crackdowns that effect a majority of players who did not even participate in exploits, or buy cash cards.

Abuse of Workforce / Out-of-Touch Developers

While all we have are a few worker testimonials, I think it's safe to assume that Rockstar is no different than those EA-type companies. Given their monstrous size and external prestige, these companies can treat their employees however they want without worrying about running out of a work force. Numerous employee testimonials reveal R* to be a hostile work environment: grueling overseers, tight deadlines, lack of proper tools for the trade, and no PR to go to. How can you make your best work when Sam Houser's iron fist is ready to come down? This is what kills the soul of games. V lacked a real feel, real writing, real originality, pressured workers just had to make a game that sells and had to meet a deadline, not that that always works out, considering the several months the game was delayed. When you're forced by your bosses to just make something that sells, you never are allowed to apply something new that you feel would be different and revolutionary, and worse, you cannot communicate well with your fan-base. You know what an excellent company like VALVe does? They read forums. They watch matches of their games. They read Reddit posts. They go into their own games in disguise and record the players' thoughts. They take time to assess a game and they care about the results. What does Rockstar go on? Sales figures. 10-year-olds like supercars and "420 SW4G" Call of Duty bullsh*t. A tasteless, gullible consumer-base prevents the development of a good game. Who cares about heists, about fun and rewarding missions, or about implementing something actually crime related when something easy and gimmicky like the Hipster Pack can take some popularity? That brings me to my next point:

Stupid Gimmicks / YouTube Friendly Games

(I'mma just copy-paste another post I made elsewhere... I like doing that)

Games try to be outrageous and silly so they'll get lots of coverage and "let's play"s to get plenty of free advertisement.

Think Goat Simulator. Sure, it was pretty funny and f*cking wild the first 15 minutes, but I wanted my god damn $10 back when I realized it was just a buggy mess that exploded in popularity virally before.

GTA YouTubers can only really entertain and capitalize on the worst parts of the game to sell it: exploits, bugs and physics exploits, silly SHENANIGANS, trolling, montages,

You can't really become a YouTube game based on a great story-arch or an immersive world. GTA IV didn't have many f*ck-around appearances on YouTube beyond the occasional stunt video. HOWEVER, it still saw plenty of videos through Machinimas and its powerful story-telling potential. The only community drawn in by wild, sh*tty "Let's Play" pewdiepie types are ten-year-old little dipsh*ts. While there's nothing inherently wrong with younger players at its core idea (other than the fact they're violating the terms of the ESRB), it generates a whole, miserable atmosphere of little tools trying to replicate what they saw their favorite YouTubber do. They use their parents' cards to buy sh*tty cash cards and colorful but shallow DLC, the games industry realizes they can just release half-finished games and skin packs and make more than a game they put three times the effort into to dignify it, and the cycle keeps going.

Hype / False Depiction of the Product

Remember your excitement when the trailers rolled out? Beautiful lighting, shading, rendering, textures, frame-rate. The world looked alive. Many models dotted the streets. What did we get? Low-resolution textures, sub-par lighting, mindless and emotionless peds, many trees and other foliage removed in-game where they were in the trailers. I honestly doubt they'll add any of it back on the next-gen re-releases. The trailers also depicted pretty much ALL of the very limited heists in the game. I had little surprise and discovery while playing. Just shove everything in the appetizer so you laud over the restaurant and can't tell how lacking the main course is. They sure played the nostalgia card with Franklin, cutting scenes from his two Grove Street-style gangbanger missions to get the old GTA fans hooked, just so their new green gangsta could sit in his yuppie house on the cliff running bitch errands for the government. Not to mention such limited amounts of the game were being rolled out, letting speculation run wild.

Rockstar, I've always looked to your products when I praised your company so much. You have amazed me with the 3D GTA's, your lesser-acknowledged Bully and Manhunt, and my favorites were even your recent releases of Max Payne 3, GTA IV, LA Noire, and of course, Red Dead Redemption. All those games took chances and received amazing praise for it. GTA V sold well and did fine critically, but so did the post MW1- Call of Duties for a while. The gaming world is in collective inebriation that "This is Rockstar we're taking about, they couldn't have made a less-than-satisfactory game!" If you continue making sh*tty, lazy games with your out-of-touch and whipped staff, then I can only hope your success and prestige in the gaming world tapers off immediately. 

Or, what is more likely going to happen, you will be one of those f*cking EA sh*tcocks who exploit the lowest common denominator for the almighty dollar.

• Mister Pink, Miamivicecity, ObsydianRaven and 16 others like this

Carbodyte
  • Carbodyte

Rat

• BUSTED!
  • England

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:58 AM Edited by Carbodyte, 20 August 2014 - 07:58 AM.

They just need to be more open with their customers, they are too secretive, they are not spies or 007's, just answer some questions here and there on twitter at least, like for instance, post smth. on twitter: " we expect to give you guys a release date soon for next-gen" or post a screenshot, don't just keep us in the dark completely.

• lazy., Drunken Cowboy, Xerukal and 3 others like this

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:15 AM

Remember your excitement when the trailers rolled out? Beautiful lighting, shading, rendering, textures, frame-rate. The world looked alive. Many models dotted the streets. What did we get? Low-resolution textures, sub-par lighting, mindless and emotionless peds, many trees and other foliage removed in-game where they were in the trailers. I honestly doubt they'll add any of it back on the next-gen re-releases

"Trailers". No. Trailer. Singular. The very first trailer. The actual reveal of the game. Every single promotional trailer after that looked close to the final release. The textures were always utter sh*t, though. Expecting any more from 8 year old hardware in the textures department is quite unreasonable. The same goes for FPS, though I have no idea how you got the impression that the FPS would be something out of the ordinary just by watching the trailers. 30 FPS is the norm, or so it's supposed to be, because the game runs at an extremely sh*tty 23-25 for me. 

Also, the concept of remastering/re-releasing a game on more capable hardware pretty much requires said game to be improved in the most obvious of areas, and I think the PC/NG reveal trailer showed that they've met this requirement (and then some).

• JetsRLove likes this

Son of Zeus
  • Son of Zeus

Grove4Life

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

No way. As long as the money is there. However, the company going downhill way faaaast is Activision.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users