» «
Photo

Why some of you hate CJ?

58 replies to this topic
Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Osho, 3 weeks ago.

CJ does a few things that seem quite unrealistic, but there's a reason too. That reason is "Sweet". And, pretty much why he's willing to take the risks too, throughout the game.
CJ does a lot of things a "normal person" would go out of the way to protect their family.
Also, there're parts into the story which are just interesting gameplay gimmicks for introducing a lot of surprises, and action ( incl. Area 69 ) to enjoy for us, the players.
But, only when it comes to CJ, many people find it hard to maintain the the suspension of disbelief, yet the HD games, that purport to have realistic setting too feature unrealistic moments, and situations via. the protagonists you play.
Regarding the flying part -- Mike Toreno does inform CJ, "Carl, Learn to Fly" and begin the flight school, by finally learning to fly.
Fact is CJ has no "direct" and "easy" access to Hydra, jetpack, or even a mini-gun till the right time arrives.
But, I don't know why people come with the same ridiculous and stupid reasons for hating CJ, with IQ levels so low, they are just not able to handle even the simple ideas of fun that you get to enjoy as CJ in GTA SA.
  • latigreblue likes this

Young Martini
  • Young Martini

The New Guy in Town

• Members
  • Albania

Posted 3 weeks ago

Then some other people hate the game. Cmon guys, remember that SA had so much features (i hope I wrote it right because I always suck on it). Swimming, flying a plane, learn fighting skills, gym, new boutiques, food shops, and a lot of other things... It was all new, so let's not be hypocrites ok?
  • Lone Rider likes this

kevin de santa
  • kevin de santa

Thug

• BUSTED!
  • Ireland

Posted 3 weeks ago

I hated him because his story was sh*t poorly voice acted poor side characters just a sh*t game overall IMO

mrfilmpjesmaker123
  • mrfilmpjesmaker123

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrFilmpjesmaker123

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 3 weeks ago

Did you even play the game? lol

trollsack
  • trollsack

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I like him in general; maybe it's because he's a gangster or he lets everyone else like Tempenny push him around.

Khan96
  • Khan96

Mafia Never Forgets

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Because he is a very solid character. GTA San Andreas has its own RPG stuff and needs a solid man for "using" this RPG stuff. You can make CJ a gangsta or a stylish mafia boss or a hillbilly or a psycopath or a hip-hop star.

But Tommy? Nah, he is not solid, he was born with that blue shirt, he is a 1980's Italian Mafia boss with bad style but "though guy" character.

watersgta3
  • watersgta3

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

Who said anyone hate CJ? If anything, a lot of people on this forum hate Tommy much more than they hate CJ, and those are for personal reasons too.

latigreblue
  • latigreblue

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago

I never really saw anyone from this forum hating on Tommy.

• Young Martini likes this

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

Tommy's a big fat bastard with horrific taste in shirts. I bet he smells like pizza grease. Mould. Broken.

Seriously though - I would've liked to have seen Tommy come up against someone like Tenpenny and then see him get the same amount of love.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

All your gold are belong to us.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

CJ always was straight buster.

• Mr_Leone likes this

lolleroz
  • lolleroz

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

He was a soft cock who let everyone push him around.

Pretty much this. Compare him with Johnny in TLAD, what did Johnny do (along with Jim) when two corrupt FBI agents bullied him? he killed them all along with their backup. What did CJ do? let them bully him so we have to get through 100+ missions until we can kill their leader.

• SonOfLiberty likes this

Prince Gumball
  • Prince Gumball

Love hurts

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 3 weeks ago

CJ is still the funniest protagonist to date.

• TCA likes this

GTA19somethin
  • GTA19somethin

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

Tommy's a big fat bastard with horrific taste in shirts. I bet he smells like pizza grease. Mould. Broken.

Seriously though - I would've liked to have seen Tommy come up against someone like Tenpenny and then see him get the same amount of love.

Tommy's a video game character. Grow up.

latigreblue
  • latigreblue

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by latigreblue, 3 weeks ago.

Tommy's a video game character. Grow up.

There's no need for admonition - that comment was obviously meant to be sarcastic, facetious, a joke even.  Lighten up.

In every GTA, there is an adversary who cannot or will not be killed until the end.  Tenpenny is CJ's nemesis in SA.  He's the one fulfilling this role.  Also in every game there are people that you work for (willingly or not) that ultimately, you're going to have to pop a cap in.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Tycek, 3 weeks ago.

There are three points why I don't like him as protagonist, which is in fact one of the reasons I don't like SA that much.

1. As mentioned above CJ is extreme push around, being poked and dragged by absolutely everybody. It doesn't matter if it was almost retarded Ryder, manipulative Big Smoke, controlling Toreno or childish Zero. CJ had to do everything for everyone, without even a word of dislike for the job. Maybe it was his idea for life, doing everything and going with the flow, but it was something pissing me off. He never told Tenpenny to shove off, he begged Catalina, being almost grounded and he frontally attacked top secret military base for some hopped up hippie, he met week ago.

Yes, you can say all GTA protagonist were doing something for other people, not having much in return, but at least they were showing some kind of dislike for this job: "How many errands I have to run Cortez," "I'm not coming back," " I did this for you and you pay sh*t," "Who am I, your f*cking dog?" The series from the beginning was about being dirty job guy, but some kind of personality is good to show that we are playing as a badass and not some whiny guy, waiting to get smacked for a single mistake.

2. CJ is extremely whiny, talking all the time and usually moaning about world around him. Living in his pants and walking or driving around was really tiring, with his constant comments about other people driving and attitude.

3. CJ is inconsistent. In one missions, he plays the pussy role and in another he tries to be the boss pushing people around (Construction Yard mission). It's really hard to play with protagonist, who changes his attitude and mind so often.

• simonp92 likes this

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Osho, 3 weeks ago.

Pretty much this. Compare him with Johnny in TLAD, what did Johnny do (along with Jim) when two corrupt FBI agents bullied him? he killed them all along with their backup. What did CJ do? let them bully him so we have to get through 100+ missions until we can kill their leader.
Just like Niko Bellic doing the errands for many, but yeah, he has a reason, so even CJ too.
> DLC featuring 22 missions = GTA SA's, full-fledged campaign?
> Johnny was ALREADY leading the gang, unlike CJ who returned from LC and had to start afresh, and to know the rest of the reasons as to why CJ ( the player ) was forced to play through 100 missions, then pay attention through the story, and you'll understand.

Seriously, you're making a fool of yourself, if you really think CJ and Johnny's circumstances share a lot of similarities.
Next time come up with less stupid reasons, okay?

It's really hard to play with protagonist, who changes his attitude and mind so often.

SA was supposed to have multiple protagonists

latigreblue
  • latigreblue

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago

@ Tycek, that is the difference between flat and round characters.  In Tommy and Niko, you get flat characters who do not change during the game.  They are fully formed.  In contrast, CJ is a much younger character who does change by the end of the game.  This is not inconsistency, this is growth.  Houser can't and should not be making the same character all the time but giving him a different name.

Clearly, CJ goes out of his way to help friends and family, sometimes to his own detriment, but the story clearly points to him trying to atone for the events that lead up to him having to leave SA in the first place.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Tycek, 3 weeks ago.

Just like Niko Bellic doing the errands for many, but yeah, he has a reason, so even CJ too.
> DLC featuring 22 missions = GTA SA's, full-fledged campaign?
> Johnny was ALREADY leading the gang, unlike CJ who returned from LC and had to start afresh, and to know the rest of the reasons as to why CJ ( the player ) was forced to play through 100 missions, then pay attention through the story, and you'll understand.

Seriously, you're making a fool of yourself, if you really think CJ and Johnny's circumstances share a lot of similarities.
Next time come up with less stupid reasons, okay?

It's really hard to play with protagonist, who changes his attitude and mind so often.

SA was supposed to have multiple protagonists

@Osho

I heard these rumors, yet it's hard to judge the game for what it isn't. I can only judge the final product and that inconsistency coming from the CJ was one of the reasons that pushed me off a bit. 

@latigreblue

I am aware that CJ was evolving, thus I didn't said anything about his change of personality in the latest moments of the game (like CJ taking control in the Home in the Hills, or fighting for the hood in the end). That was actually very good feature, showing his evolution achieved by the journey around whole state. I mostly meant the Construction Yard missions, where CJ out of nowhere turned into bloodlust killer, who took out the workers, because they called his sister a hooker (despite she was looking like one). Other missions in SF are still portraying him as a easily controllable person (Toreno's missions, Zero's missions, etc.) If the said mission happened around the end of the game, when CJ was fully developed I believe it would be more plausible. 

TheFunkyBunch
  • TheFunkyBunch

5 Ft 8 Of Pure Sexiness

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by TheFunkyBunch, 3 weeks ago.

Cj was Alright IMO not Nearly as much of a Douche As  Tommy  His  Family where the Ones i really hated and to be fair he was in a Pretty Bad Story.

GTA19somethin
  • GTA19somethin

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

CJ shouldn't be hated on. The person in this game that should be hated on is Sweet. I mean I understand his loyalty for the gang, but who really wants to waste their life in the hood? Who wants to spend the rest of their adult life as a gangster who would either wind up dead or in life-time prison as he gets older? Don't take this the wrong way, but Sweet was way too provincial and parochial, two attributes are signs of immaturity. CJ is actually growing, while Sweet is regressing.

Young Martini
  • Young Martini

The New Guy in Town

• Members
  • Albania

Posted 3 weeks ago

Who said anyone hate CJ? If anything, a lot of people on this forum hate Tommy much more than they hate CJ, and those are for personal reasons too.

So far I only saw like 3 people hating Tommy.. Not so much eh

latigreblue
  • latigreblue

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago

I guess it's a matter of perspective.  It's a weird situation in the first place because you are dealing with criminals in this game.  I actually know a lot of people who live in ghetto areas.   They are well-educated, have good jobs and are not nor have 'bastard children of unwed mothers'.  I am convinced that Rockstar making Franklyn so and moving him out of Chamberlain Hills was Rockstar's way of making him more palatable to a certain sector of players.

From the times of Irish and Italian gangs have become a way of life for those who feel socially disadvantaged.  From the early gangs with the Irish and Italians, they haven't really gone away, many of them have evolved.  You say that he's immature, I wonder if he felt he was being responsible for not leaving his community.

About your comment that he will die or end up serving a life sentence in prison, well, based on the nature of the game that's true - Vic died, Claude is supposed to have died, Johnny got killed and all the rest do run that risk.

iam2fresh
  • iam2fresh

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by iam2fresh, 2 weeks ago.

i don't hate him but hes such a bitch and doesn't act like a damn gang-banger. why does he let tenpenny push him around, why is he stealing jetpacks for hippies, why does he just politely do what-ever sweet ask him to. he also completely forgets about looking for the ballas that killed his mom i like cj but grow some damn balls.

• SonOfLiberty likes this

xHELLAFLUSHx
  • xHELLAFLUSHx

Niko!, Lest Go Bowling!

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 2 days ago

Just some id**ts or racists, or just noobs who have only played gta V and thinks that every other GTA is sh*t

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

._.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 2 days ago

I hate him because all he had to do, was follow the damn train!

xHELLAFLUSHx
  • xHELLAFLUSHx

Niko!, Lest Go Bowling!

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 2 days ago Edited by lil weasel, A day ago. cautioned for meme response.

I hate him because all he had to do, was follow the damn train!

50aad6bf46370591bf3c0aba754bb691199a6aba

Edit: a meme is not a proper reply on these forums.{lw.

HeroBrineR007
  • HeroBrineR007

SA and VC Android mission helper.

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 2 days ago

I hate him.

No i don't lol.

Brock Elvis
  • Brock Elvis

-... .-. --- -.-. -.-/. .-.. ...- .. ...

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted A day ago

What killed CJ's character for me is how he achieves so much, yet lives like a gang-banger again because Sweet's dream was to lead that lifestyle.

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

GTA 4 FANBOY

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A day ago

He was to soft and let people push him around.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users