Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why did Rockstar Games not sue THQ for Saints Row?

12 replies to this topic
Raz3r95
  • Raz3r95

Player Hater

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:46 PM Edited by Raz3r95, 18 August 2014 - 11:47 PM.

Saints Row is a TOTAL Rip-Off of SanAndreas, almost all ideas from  the game were stolen from SanAndreas, The Gangs, gang hoods, respraying graffitis, payn spray, recruting gang members, respect level, gameplay, missions, low riders, taking over hoods...

I don't want to hate on Saints Row, i like this game actually, but im also amazed that Rockstar didn't give a fu*k about what THQ has done.

Okay, Mafia and Mafia2 had their own style and ideas...but Saints Row is mostely like GTA.

Android
  • Android

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:50 PM

They couldn't sue them. They didn't steal names, and besides, I don't think names and such were trade marked.

Tony.
  • Tony.

I don't agree with that in the workplace

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Volition were definitely heavily inspired by GTA with the first Saints Row, and I think that the spray shop and car customization was an improvement over GTA at the time. GTA IV was out two years after and didn't even let you pick the color you wanted (and eventually it glitched and came out dark green every time). But I don't think their goal was to completely rip off GTA. They actually changed the Saints' gang color from green to purple (you can see them all wearing green in the E3 2005 previews), probably because they realized it was too similar to San Andreas.

TheFunkyBunch
  • TheFunkyBunch

5 Ft 8 Of Pure Sexiness

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by TheFunkyBunch, 4 weeks ago.

Lol you can't   sue A Company  for Making Something  That Has  Similarities  to your Product. 

Would it of been Fair if Mcdonalds sued Burger king ? Of Course Not and its The  same Here.

• Jeone likes this

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 4 weeks ago

Lol you can't   sue A Company  for Making Something  That Has  Similarities  to your Product. 

Would it of been Fair if Mcdonalds sued Burger king ? Of Course Not and its The  same Here.

You need to be sued for capitalizing almost every word in your sentences. Seriously, don't.

On topic, SR is only inspired from GTA. R* doesn't own patents for the activities carried out in the games. Pretty much anyone can come up with a game similar to GTA and no one can sue anyone. As long as you're not using any copyrighted material from GTA, you're fine.

• B Dawg and Nicolas Chiribelo like this

TheFunkyBunch
  • TheFunkyBunch

5 Ft 8 Of Pure Sexiness

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by TheFunkyBunch, 4 weeks ago.

You need to be sued for capitalizing almost every word in your sentences. Seriously, don't.

On topic, SR is only inspired from GTA. R* doesn't own patents for the activities carried out in the games. Pretty much anyone can come up with a game similar to GTA and no one can sue anyone. As long as you're not using any copyrighted material from GTA, you're fine.

Eh i Can Type However  Like .  :yawn:

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 4 weeks ago

Eh i Can Type However  Like .  :yawn:

A ban it is then.

• universetwisters likes this

EZza2647
  • EZza2647

The Bus driver-opus

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 4 weeks ago

For the same reason I can manufacture a car called the Vapid Blade. The names/cars aren't copyrighted

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Bernd das Bumpy Brot

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

To be honest, I couldn't tell much similarities between SA and Saints Row 1. I know the key gameplay mechanics are open world gameplay with carjacking and shooting, but Mafia, True Crime, etc. also follow the same format. That's true that SR1 is pretty gangster oriented, what with respect and taking over neighborhoods, and SA has the same thing. However, SR1 expands on it a lot greater than it was presented in SA.

Also, a big thing separating SR1 from GTA is the fact that you can customize your protagonist further than just clothing and fat/muscle.

TheTechPoTaToCHIP
  • TheTechPoTaToCHIP

Peon

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago

Same way why ID software didn't sue EVERY SINGLE FPS GAME IN EXISTENCE.

There are so many GTA Style games nowadays that it might as well be a genre.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 3 weeks ago

Seems it has already been listed as a Genre:

A Grand Theft Auto clone is a video game that falls within the genre popularized by the 2001 title Grand Theft Auto III, where players are given the ability to drive any vehicle or fire any weapon as they explore an open world. These games are sometimes treated as a 3D action-adventure game, or third-person shooter. They are noted for frequently bearing strong violent or criminal themes, though exceptions like American McGee Presents: Scrapland have copied its gameplay and structure with a Teen rating.

http://en.wikipedia....heft_Auto_clone

TCA
  • TCA

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

Apple sues Samsung and others all the time for things like that though.

Anyway I really don't think Rockstar is too concerned about it, if it was a direct rip by at least 98.99% they would probably take action, yet again it's Rockstar lol

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 3 weeks ago

How about "Message From Space" (1978) vs "Battle Beyond the Stars" (1978) vs.  "Star Wars" (1982)

It is quite common for people to jump on the band wagon when something hits it big.

So should "Star Wars" people sue the others for infringing on their story?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users