Photo

Questions &Answers topic?

15 replies to this topic
Anger Personified
  • Anger Personified

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:11 PM

What is the benefit to moving such an anchored thread? It has been pinned in the online section since October. And it can't be found from using the search feature in the regular online section either.(at least I kept coming up goose eggs) For those that don't know it was moved and pinned to the help/support section. Was the a way of getting rid of the pinned clutter? Because now you will get a greater influx of question type threads(not saying people used it before but at least it was visible and now its hidden)

Well that's my two cent(doesn't could coming from a member on this site but whatever)

BTW the only way I found the questions & answers thread was because I asked a mod/lead-by. Is that what you want everyone doing?

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTA V/Online Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:31 PM Edited by Andreas, 18 August 2014 - 06:32 PM.

Question threads are no longer locked or merged into the Q&A thread. They are now getting moved to the Help & Support section. It will take some time to get used to it, but it's probably the better solution in the long run. This applies to the GTAV and Online boards.

Franceska
  • Franceska

• The Connection
  • United-Kingdom
  • Queen of Pandas

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

It would make more sense to have it in a dedicated section for help and support than the main section. I know it's a scary place outside the main GTAO section, but sometimes it's worth it. :)

Anger Personified
  • Anger Personified

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:48 PM

It would make more sense to have it in a dedicated section for help and support than the main section. I know it's a scary place outside the main GTAO section, but sometimes it's worth it. :)

that's fine. But it isn't really dedicated to GTA questions, its still just another pinned thread.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:01 PM

that's fine. But it isn't really dedicated to GTA questions, its still just another pinned thread.

What is it for then?

All of the support subforums across the GTA category have been renamed to 'Help & Support' which means we have a whole area dedicated to asking for help ranging from general questions to technical support for each game.

Having a single Q&A topic for a forum where currently over 1k people are browsing is not very helpful at all, because questions are lost all the time and are of no help to future viewers. Similarly, each 'Help & Support' forum has a 'Mark Solved' feature for when a member has found their answer.

I understand your concern that it was moved and people might think that it's disappeared, but we as staff will continue to move any question topics to the area and hopefully people will get the message that 'Help & Support' actually does what it says on the tin.

Anger Personified
  • Anger Personified

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

that's what I've wanted all along Kirsty but was told by several moderators that it would never happen or work to have an entire section dedicated to such a thing. I guess when members give ideas mods don't take them into consideration until another mod/lead-by suggests it. I was just curious as to why now after all this time was it changed? Because clearly when a member such as myself makes a suggestion it goes unheard(albeit a great suggestion). You moderators need to realize that without members or member feedback this site wouldn't exist or y'all would have nothing to do here.

Good day.

Franceska
  • Franceska

• The Connection
  • United-Kingdom
  • Queen of Pandas

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

Having a single Q&A topic for a forum where currently over 1k people are browsing is not very helpful at all, because questions are lost all the time and are of no help to future viewers. Similarly, each 'Help & Support' forum has a 'Mark Solved' feature for when a member has found their answer.

Then why was it made in first place?

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

that's what I've wanted all along Kirsty but was told by several moderators that it would never happen or work to have an entire section dedicated to such a thing. I guess when members give ideas mods don't take them into consideration until another mod/lead-by suggests it. I was just curious as to why now after all this time was it changed? Because clearly when a member such as myself makes a suggestion it goes unheard(albeit a great suggestion). You moderators need to realize that without members or member feedback this site wouldn't exist or y'all would have nothing to do here.

Good day.

These things take time to discuss and agree on amongst staff; we do listen to member's suggestions, we take action based on what the forum needs and decide on things based on whether will work out or whether they are necessary. 

Not sure what you're trying to say here? Topics are created all the time for various reasons, a Q&A topic was pinned because people were making a lot of topics to ask things. Since it's popular and a big reason why people join forums in general (to get help), we've decided to expand it out and turn it into a subforum and make it uniform across each GTA section. As above, we don't rush into things around here, it all depends on whether something will work out and what the community says in return.

Franceska
  • Franceska

• The Connection
  • United-Kingdom
  • Queen of Pandas

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

Not sure what you're trying to say here? Topics are created all the time for various reasons, a Q&A topic was pinned because people were making a lot of topics to ask things. Since it's popular and a big reason why people join forums in general (to get help), we've decided to expand it out and turn it into a subforum and make it uniform across each GTA section. As above, we don't rush into things around here, it all depends on whether something will work out and what the community says in return.

Yes, but why did you realize that it wasn't that helpful now, instead of back then, is what I am trying to say. It would of have been better to redirect people to the dedicated section, rather than a thread where stuff can get overlooked real fast due the amount of traffic it had. Searching for an answer is impossible through 100 pages. Searching for an answer through 100 threads is possible. Just define your terms better when searching if there's no results.

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

Forum Leader

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Nations
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

Searching for an answer is impossible through 100 pages.

It is a popular misconception that the Q & A thread is where someone should look for answers. It is not. It is somewhere to ask a question and then someone else will answer that question.

This concept has been expanded to the utilisation of an entire subforum that serves the same purpose. A place to ask for help and a place to share knowledge and give assistance.

• Coin likes this

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:59 PM

Yes, but why did you realize that it wasn't that helpful now, instead of back then, is what I am trying to say.

It's not that we've suddenly realised we were wrong all along, it's just that we don't add subforums willy-nilly and spend time discussing whether it's even necessary first. Some people want a subforum for every feature, but some ideas people suggest aren't practical. Couple that with people not liking change and things don't get put in place very quickly. Sometimes it's just trial and error with a forum this size. Hopefully the Help & Support forums prove helpful to everyone though.

Franceska
  • Franceska

• The Connection
  • United-Kingdom
  • Queen of Pandas

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:14 PM

Kirsty, I wasn't talking about suddenly adding sub forums. On a scale of this site, I know you can't just add new forums or new stuff. But all the admins did was renaming "Troubleshooting" into "Help & Support" (which is much better, btw).

You will always have people complaining / want something, and you can't always give them what they want.

Thanks for clarifying it, though. :)

GroundZero
  • GroundZero

Criminally Insane

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:15 PM

Question threads are no longer locked or merged into the Q&A thread. They are now getting moved to the Help & Support section. It will take some time to get used to it, but it's probably the better solution in the long run. This applies to the GTAV and Online boards.

That's good to know, since I used to report question topics saying that they should be merged into the Q&A.

It seems to be a good idea, too.

• ~Tiger~ likes this

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

Forum Leader

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Nations
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

It does indeed. 

Yesterday a member asked a question in the help and support forum. His question has been comprehensively answered on the forum.

The same member asked the same, identical question in the Rockstar Support Forum at the same time as he posted here. To date, this question has not been answered on the Rockstar forum.

This proves that statistically, GTAF actually rivals R* Support in providing service for our members!
  • GroundZero likes this

GroundZero
  • GroundZero

Criminally Insane

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

It does indeed. 

Yesterday a member asked a question in the help and support forum. His question has been comprehensively answered on the forum.

The same member asked the same, identical question in the Rockstar Support Forum at the same time as he posted here. To date, this question has not been answered on the Rockstar forum.

This proves that statistically, GTAF actually rivals R* Support in providing service for our members!

I'd say that GTAF is actually better than R* Support in terms of providing help. That is mainly because (imo) it's actually real people that respond to questions, whereas in R* Support most questions are answered with automated replies. Also, there are many helpful members around here!

Franceska
  • Franceska

• The Connection
  • United-Kingdom
  • Queen of Pandas

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:48 PM

I feel that the R* Support Forums lack the community feeling, whereas we have that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users