Help: Windows 8 Text Size Problem

14 replies to this topic
Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

So I just got a new laptop and I'm having this problem where resolution on most software is fine, I'm getting problems with the text size in Origin, Kaspersky, and VLC. It's way too small to see but I can't find any way to enlarge the text size within the individual programs. The screen resolution is currently set to 3200x1800.

I've attached a screenshot so you can see what I mean. Any help appreciated, thank you!

textproblem_zpse2e45c91.jpg

• Android likes this

Android
  • Android

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Superior Mobile OS
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:23 AM

Hi Outcast,

Can you try this and see if it helps? http://windows.micro...er-smaller/?v=t

• Outcast likes this

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:51 PM Edited by Outcast, 20 August 2014 - 02:22 PM.

Thanks Android, I tried everything on there but it's still the same. Everything else in Windows is fine, it's just those 3 programs I mentioned that still have super small text.

EDIT: I don't know if this helps but the computer is a 2014 Razer Blade

• Android likes this

Android
  • Android

• Zaibatsu
  • None
    Superior Mobile OS
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:19 PM Edited by Android, 20 August 2014 - 04:20 PM.

I have heard that new laptops with high DPI have issues with scaling, especially with the laptop you have. 

You can try fixing it from the desktop, right click on the icons you use that appear with the smaller text, then enter Properties. From there, head into the Compatibility tab and check the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". 

http://www.technorms...-in-windows-8-1

http://www.majorgeek...es_o_matic.html

This program may work.

However, sometimes the applications are not made for higher resolutions. This might be the problem in this situation.

• Outcast likes this

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

Thanks, I've done some research on my own and also found that this is not an uncommon problem with these laptops. You would think for the amount of money it costs, it wouldn't have any of these stupid little problems. 

• Android likes this

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:33 PM Edited by Stinky12, 20 August 2014 - 08:34 PM.

It's the program itself that hasn't been made to scale better with the current popularity of ultra high resolution screens. It's the same with Apple at their retina display, those that install Win7 on it will get microscopic text that's unreadable. Setting the DPI didn't help as the resolution is so high, it's still quite small. The only option is to reduce the resolution, but then everything else becomes fuzzy or blurry.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:38 PM

It's the program itself that hasn't been made to scale better with the current popularity of ultra high resolution screens. It's the same with Apple at their retina display, those that install Win7 on it will get microscopic text that's unreadable. Setting the DPI didn't help as the resolution is so high, it's still quite small. The only option is to reduce the resolution, but then everything else becomes fuzzy or blurry.

So basically I just gotta wait it out and see if the developers put out an update which scales their software to high DPI displays?

Ryan
  • Ryan

• Canada

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:52 AM

I share your frustration as I have the same issue on my XPS 13 running a resolution at 1920x1080, but not really much that can be done about it. :/

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

Damn, it sucks so much balls that the entire experience can be ruined by something so small and insignificant. 

What resolution should I drop it down to to get a more uniform look across all programs? The Razer Blade display is 14". 

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:22 AM

So basically I just gotta wait it out and see if the developers put out an update which scales their software to high DPI displays?

Most likely that. The problem is, it might take quite some time for that to happen as not that much people are buying these ultra high resolution laptops. Majority of the Joe and Jane spends around these days is $200-$300 tops for a Windows laptop, anything higher they think it's too expensive. And for a high resolution screen, there is no way laptop makers will sell that at $300. From a developers point of view, because the percentage of people runing these high resolution screen is so low, they don't see this problem as their #1 priority. It might one day when all laptop runs at these insane resolutions, but today is not that day.

In Apple's world, because everything now is only Retina, programs are force to developed to scaled better at high resolution as many are willing to pay that price premium of at least $1500 for one of Apple's Macbook line up.

For the time being, the only thing you can do is lower your screen resolution. at 14" try 1920x1080. If that is still too small then lower down to 1366x768. Anything lower than the recommended resolution will result in blurry text and won't be as sharp as when you had it at 3200x1800

Android
  • Android

• Zaibatsu
  • None
    Superior Mobile OS
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:49 AM

Damn, it sucks so much balls that the entire experience can be ruined by something so small and insignificant. 

What resolution should I drop it down to to get a more uniform look across all programs? The Razer Blade display is 14".

I'm guessing its current resolution is higher than 1920x1080, if so drop it down to that.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

Current resolution is set to 3200x1800. I tried setting it to 1920x1080 but everything became too big. I guess it's going to have to be trial and error. 

Ryan
  • Ryan

• Canada

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

1920x1080 on my 13.3 inch screen makes everything too small so I have everything scaled to 125%. I don't see how 1920x1080 on a 14 inch screen would make things too big. You sure scaling isn't set to something like 150% or 200%?
  • Outcast likes this

Android
  • Android

• Zaibatsu
  • None
    Superior Mobile OS
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:26 PM

That's probably the issue, set the scaling back down and it should be fine. 

• Outcast likes this

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:55 AM

Thanks guys, I will give that a try when I'm back home next week from business trip. 

• Android likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users