499 replies to this topic
luisniko
  • luisniko

*cue high-pitched sfx "Hooaaaaah! Yahhh!"

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:28 PM

Bruh...

Can we unlock Airport without DLC or mod? Because I don't think I've seen one.

Coin
  • Coin

Feroci

• BUSTED!
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:36 PM

They're base game. You can find them under the transport buildings menu. 

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:11 AM

Footpaths are essential for traffic management. In one of my older cities, I divided the apartment blocks with paths that crossed through all the blocks, and led to stations/bus stops/taxi stops/commercial areas. It was nice seeing the absurd amount of people walking through them at any given moment. Really helped reduce traffic in those areas.

Subways too, are a godsend. In my latest city, which I'll take some screenies later when I'm on my desktop, my busiest station sees like 2000 passengers daily. Considering my population is around 40k, that's quite a nice percentage.

• Coin likes this

marco6158
  • marco6158

whomst

• Daily Globe
  • Italy
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:03 PM

Some more pics, after reworking some parts of the main towns in the cities I decided to start building a small towns. This map is quite huge and hopefully I'll be able to fit in many small towns where I can finally make use of some nice inter city trains I downloaded a while ago.

This town is a bit limited with roads and far from the city, so the best way to move here is by using the train. The train goes through a nice scenery before reaching the city, and also makes use of the multi level bridge I've shown a few posts ago.

VZe8bL2.jpgRzp51Gs.jpg

Z6YQmSG.jpg

Map seen from above, both in-game and on CSL

s2Rk76p.png?1

aLITO2j.jpg

• luisniko and Coin like this

luisniko
  • luisniko

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:40 PM

I'll never reach 36000 populations at this rate. There used to be a major decline, but then suddenly it increased again as I opened the game today. Meanwhile, I was developing a new recreational area, created a lake, and filled it with a couple of fishing spot, parks, botanical garden, and a few shops. It reached 32k and now the number is freefalling again..

marco6158
  • marco6158

whomst

• Daily Globe
  • Italy
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:13 PM Edited by marco6158, 13 January 2018 - 10:19 AM.

Probably some places are missing services and that doesn't let cims move in and they'd rather leave. Check unemployments stats because those are quite important. Or it cuold just be the usual death wave that happens in C:S for some reason every now and then.

Installed again MOM mod (Metro Overhaul Mod), it's an awesome mod and I used it in a previous map of mine. Thought it could be useful in this map since I think it will grow quite a lot. Since this mod makes metro system a bit more complicated metro lines went from 7 metro lines to only 2, using them only for the bigger part of the city since other districts are happy with trains, buses and trams.

z6RCatU.png?1

And some pics of trains moving around, currently 2000+ citizens use trains weekly

SwZvXUL.jpg

1unrzxW.jpg

MZmsoV1.jpg

• Coin likes this

Noale
  • Noale

OH HI MARK

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:51 AM

I built this city back in 2015, but I stopped playing shortly after so I still consider it my best one. I really enjoyed this game and would go back if I wasn't trying out Planet Coaster

C1NVnad.jpg

DOSS7m0.jpg

4mJwLMU.jpg

IZNmmfu.jpg

jOhpYS7.jpg

C8YI5XN.jpg

QFpp1aj.jpg

• El Dildo, Tchuck, anus and 4 others like this

luisniko
  • luisniko

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:47 AM Edited by luisniko, 15 January 2018 - 01:48 AM.

^ Did you write those district names yourself in Photoshop or there's a mod to customise the text?

z6RCatU.png?1

Why some of the rails are thicker than the other?

Speaking of which, just continued my progress and built a new district on the river line, filled with high density residences. The population is going up again, hopefully reaches 36k this time to unlock Harbor.

marco6158
  • marco6158

whomst

• Daily Globe
  • Italy
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:36 PM Edited by marco6158, 15 January 2018 - 03:37 PM.

In some places there are 3 railroads close to each other to allow more train traffic near big train stations once I expand the city and more train lines are needed, this is why some railroads are thicker than others
Example near one of the two big train stations:

Spoiler

@Noale That's a very nice city

• Tchuck, Coin and Noale like this

Noale
  • Noale

OH HI MARK

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

^ Did you write those district names yourself in Photoshop or there's a mod to customise the text? 

Added in Photoshop.

marco6158
  • marco6158

whomst

• Daily Globe
  • Italy
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:37 PM

Did some rework in the newest part of the city, made things easier for cims and trains. Here's a before/after pic:

til6xc8.png

Close up of the roundabout

24CfQhx.jpg

Another part of the highway is also multi-level. Cargo trains, trains coming from outside the city and train lines inside the city can move around without taking up too much space and it looks nice too.

cPZhFVq.jpg

And a pic of the industrial area and the port since I've never posted a screenshot of it

LMZc9Sl.jpg

• Coin and DOUGL4S1 like this

Ai®aCob®a
  • Ai®aCob®a

Ban Roulette Winner 2017

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Solomon-Islands
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2017

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:44 PM

Bruh...

Can we unlock Airport without DLC or mod? Because I don't think I've seen one.

Check out Steam Workshop they have some Airport Mods that people created and you can add to the game

https://steamcommuni...ch&section=home

Coin
  • Coin

Feroci

• BUSTED!
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:25 AM

Footpaths are essential for traffic management. In one of my older cities, I divided the apartment blocks with paths that crossed through all the blocks, and led to stations/bus stops/taxi stops/commercial areas. It was nice seeing the absurd amount of people walking through them at any given moment. Really helped reduce traffic in those areas.

Subways too, are a godsend. In my latest city, which I'll take some screenies later when I'm on my desktop, my busiest station sees like 2000 passengers daily. Considering my population is around 40k, that's quite a nice percentage.

They also walk pretty damn far if they've got the option to as well. Not like real life in that regard.. xD

Waiting on your screenshots though!  :^:

• Tchuck likes this

Tokasmoka
  • Tokasmoka

Street Cat

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:11 PM

I find it really hard just to power up and supply fresh water to my cities lol, especially on a map without a body of water.  The youtube vids make it seem so simple but when I connect power lines it seems they don't actually connect like in SimCity.  Maybe because I play on a tv from far away, but I tried making a water tower, drain pipe and a wind turbine all side by side but it didn't work.

luisniko
  • luisniko

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:55 PM

Are you talking about being in the beginning or in advanced population?

Tokasmoka
  • Tokasmoka

Street Cat

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:10 PM

In the beginning, I just bought the game.  In Sim city iirc if you build a power plant and connect it with power lines, it would let you drag the lines over the power plant to ensure it connects.  I don't know what I am doing wrong but in Skyline it'll say 'space is used' or w/e, and the lines I built don't actually connect.  So now I have a power plant that says it needs water and a water tower that says it needs power lol.  I'll figure it out I suppose lol. 

luisniko
  • luisniko

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:43 AM Edited by luisniko, 23 January 2018 - 02:23 AM.

In the beginning, I just bought the game.  In Sim city iirc if you build a power plant and connect it with power lines, it would let you drag the lines over the power plant to ensure it connects.  I don't know what I am doing wrong but in Skyline it'll say 'space is used' or w/e, and the lines I built don't actually connect.  So now I have a power plant that says it needs water and a water tower that says it needs power lol.  I'll figure it out I suppose lol. 

I would suggest you to build a very minimum road, then build some industries, small businesses, and houses to start. Don't spend too much money on this just yet because the next one will take quite a lot and these houses and factories need them before generating your income.

When you're ready, build a Power Plant. You see that Power Plant has a blue marker when you are about to place it? That's the area it covers and to 'expand' it, you need to build the Cable Tower (forgot what it's called in the game and suddenly I also forgot what it's called in English..), make it linked to your Drain and Water Source. Make sure you place your Water Sourcing plant on the upper stream / before your Drainage so your citizen won't drink and shower in their own piss and sh*t. When you're done installing those, now find your Water Pipes. Both Water Source and Drain use the same pipe so you don't need to make double. Just link them and make its way through the populated area. Blue marker means the area it covers. Forget about stuff like water tower, wind turbine, etc; they aren't efficient and effective to start with.

After this, wait for your money to generate.

EDIT: This is a new city I created at the end of December just to mess around with new type of land.

Anyway, I think the structure can help you getting a clearer view of what I was trying to explain.

Water source, drain, and pipe

Spoiler

Power plant (the blue beaming marker) and its Power Lines connecting through towns and water solution machines.

Spoiler

• Coin and Tokasmoka like this

marco6158
  • marco6158

whomst

• Daily Globe
  • Italy
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 27 January 2018 - 06:05 PM

Still growing my city. It's sitting at 71000 cims right now. Some new districts, reworked again some train stations, new railroads, 3 new metro lines and 4 new bus lines. I think that making efficient means of transport is the thing I love doing more in C:S.

In this train station I added one more platform (3->4), in this way it can handle trains coming from outside my city, one local train line and two high speed train lines. It's much better now, especially because cargo trains can go somewhere else instead of clogging up with passenger trains.

075hJP2.jpg

This train station was completely remade, instead of a normal train station it's a modular one, it still have 3 platforms, but it's better for buses and it's a lot nicer.

WIAJbxY.jpg

LLDtGBG.jpg

And finally, map overview of the city.

WVvqWzq.png?1

• El Dildo, Coin and Ivan1997GTA like this

luisniko
  • luisniko

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:39 AM

Haven't continued developing my city again. I'm planning to rebuild my train rail into elevated tracks. But how to make the station also on the same level though?

marco6158
  • marco6158

whomst

• Daily Globe
  • Italy
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:10 PM Edited by marco6158, 28 January 2018 - 01:13 PM.

Well, unless you use mods there are no elevated train stations in the default game, however you can use a simple solution with the vanilla station and terraforming tools. I made a little video for you since it's pointless to explain, a video is better. Otherwise, if you own the Mass Transit dlc you can go with monorails.

• Cosmic Gypsy likes this

luisniko
  • luisniko

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:07 AM

Thanks.

Lol yeah. I've been using the transforming tool and tried doing that for elevated buildings and it just looked weird. 

marco6158
  • marco6158

whomst

• Daily Globe
  • Italy
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:38 PM

My city just keeps growing, as a downside the loading times for the save game are now around 6 minutes..

Anyway, the city is much bigger and hopefully I'll be able to expand it even more to add more trains, here's a few pics:

RgVhf2k.jpg

xmFKH8I.jpg

sFnzucj.jpg

XWYNruG.jpg

YJKFIsE.jpg

bz04ps4.png

• El Dildo and Coin like this

OurJud
  • OurJud

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 19 February 2018 - 06:44 PM

Can any PC gamers offer some unbiased opinions on the console port. I've heard it's a bit 'cartoony' in comparison.

luisniko
  • luisniko

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:52 AM

Where was I in this game?

Oh, I unlocked Harbor and ability to expand. But my area is a river and it's just not suitable for Harbor unless I want to see them sailing on a shallow, rocky river.

OurJud
  • OurJud

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:44 PM

Just bought this on the PS4 and struggling to find out what a couple of the alert icons which hover over buildings are telling me.

The first is the workmen (in hardhats)

And the other is the building with its doors boarded up.

Thanks in advance.

Tokasmoka
  • Tokasmoka

Street Cat

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:12 PM

^ There should be a query tool (? icon) that you click then click on whatever building to bring up the info.  Those icons will appear at the top and it'll tell you what's wrong or if the building is operating normally.  The worker one indicates 'not enough workers' and the boarded up one indicates the building is abandoned.  I cannot link on this site for some reason but google "gamepressure.com/gameguides cities:skyline" and it has a list of all the icons.

@Marco - That's an impressive looking city.

• OurJud likes this

OurJud
  • OurJud

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:55 PM

Thanks, @Tokasmoka. I'll have a look for the query tool thing, but because it's PS4 you can't just hover over the building like you can on PC.

I also looked for an icon list but was unable to find one, so thanks for the link.

OurJud
  • OurJud

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:04 PM

Another problem I'm having trouble with is getting a farm in place.

I painted an area and set it as a farming district (it gave it a name and put a little tractor icon there). Then I made a road through the zone and used the zoning option to put in some industrial. I played on for about an hour but so far nothing being built there??

luisniko
  • luisniko

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:38 AM

If nothing is built, if I'm not wrong it's because the road is not connected to the premade road or your city currently has enough industry for the amount of population.

Look at your demand bar at the bottom of the screen. Green bar means the demand for housing is high, Blue means the demand for commercial building is high, Yellow is the need for industry/workplace. Speed up the time and let your city population grow first while collecting your tax money.
  • OurJud likes this

Noale
  • Noale

OH HI MARK

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:39 AM

It's been a long time since I've played but I think you may have other areas zoned for farming/industrial and those might be getting done first.

• OurJud likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users