Car Variety

28 replies to this topic
Nick930930
  • Nick930930

the Godfather

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

If anyone here has played GTAV already (or even GTAIV for that matter) you should already have noticed that the game only appears to load 4 different car types at a time, meaning you get LOTS of repeat cars as you drive down a busy highway. This really destroys the immersion and is very frustrating when you're hunting for a specific car to sell or just want to actually enjoy the entire premise of the game... grand theft auto -_-

Do you think GTAV for next gen/ PC will finally offer us a bigger variety of cars on the road to help hide the fact that the game can only handle so many models being loaded at a time? if you look very closely at the GTAV next gen reveal at E3 2014, you'll notice that there are very similar headlights despite the density of traffic having been increased. Should we be worried? 

Luismy_MMD
  • Luismy_MMD

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:43 PM

Who knows. They improved the variety in Single Player, specially in Rockford Hills.

Online is still only offering 4 types of cars at a time, which pretty much sucks. And 2/4 tend to be cars Simeon wants, so most times you have to grab a random car from the road you'll get a 2 star wanted level.

• theGTAking101 likes this

Nick930930
  • Nick930930

the Godfather

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

Who knows. They improved the variety in Single Player, specially in Rockford Hills.

Online is still only offering 4 types of cars at a time, which pretty much sucks. And 2/4 tend to be cars Simeon wants, so most times you have to grab a random car from the road you'll get a 2 star wanted level.

Does anyone know if there was a difference in car variety between the PC version and console version of GTAIV? 

SuperHolySheep
  • SuperHolySheep

Red Right Hand

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:36 PM

I don't know if the car variety was bigger than GTA V but it had the same 'you-get-in-a-car-now-that-car-is-everywhere' bug.

Nick930930
  • Nick930930

the Godfather

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:59 PM

I don't know if the car variety was bigger than GTA V but it had the same 'you-get-in-a-car-now-that-car-is-everywhere' bug.

The funny thing is, it's not based on the car that you get into. You just so happened to get into one of the cars that's spawning all around you. If you drive your personal car out of the garage and drive around forever, chances are you will never see another vacca or bullet driving around. GTAIV and GTAV just have the same coding in place for spawning nearby traffic that relies on picking from 5 cars and generating them within a certain radius that is far enough that you don't notice them spawning int he distance (even though you generally do lol). Hopefully the PS4/XboxOne/PC will allow Rockstar to finally upgrade this code so that it picks from a larger variety... but I feel as though they'll just make the code pick from 10 cars instead, so we'll still see repeats, just not as many. 

I remember in GTAIV, turning a corner and seeing an entire street of parallel parked minivans all in various colors. Looked ridiculous. In GTAV, I take advantage of this poor coding and steal as many of the $9000 baller SUVs as I can and store them in my 10 car garage to sell whenever I get the chance. 

Twilight Sky
  • Twilight Sky

Driftin' at the apex, sliding into 1rst.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:17 PM

Yeah the variety is awesome until that bug hits... my suggestion, get at least 2 backup cars of your favorite, cause wont take long before the bug keeps them from never spawning again.

Nick930930
  • Nick930930

the Godfather

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:26 PM

I don't think it's a bug. I think it's how the game is designed. 

Look at the next gen trailer for example. If you notice the cars on the highway and stop the video, there's very little variety in the cars on the road. You'll notice similar SUVs going all the way back. 

sly1286
  • sly1286

Hustler

• Members

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

i Really Hope this Problem gets fixed for the next gen/pc Version. but if you watch the next gen Trailer on the end when They Show the Highway And stop the Trailer at that frame You will notice the Same few Car Models many times :( very disappointed.
but god bless pc mods

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTA V/Online Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:19 PM Edited by Andreas, 19 August 2014 - 11:26 PM.

This is not really a bug. GTAV is intended to work like this, and previous games were very similar to it, as far as I know. Since GTA is part of the open world genre, it doesn't load levels like in a linear game - there is always data that has to be streamed between RAM, video RAM and HDD. Basically, the reason for the same handful of vehicles to appear repetitively, are RAM and video RAM limitations.

There are a number of possible solutions to the problem, but not all of them are effective. For example, if the cars were to use lower poly models and lower res textures, then it would be possible to spawn a bigger variety of them on-screen. The downside of this is that they would leave much to be desired when it comes to the visuals. The new releases will feature high poly models and high resolution textures. And this applies not only to the vehicles but the game in general. The next-gen consoles and PC are far superior to the PS360, so the spawn issues could be solved for the most part, if only the graphical fidelity were the same. Which is not the case, as I mentioned, so the situation is pretty much the same as before.

I think the car variety will be better in the coming releases, but don't expect any miracles.

Nick930930
  • Nick930930

the Godfather

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:44 AM

This is not really a bug. GTAV is intended to work like this, and previous games were very similar to it, as far as I know. Since GTA is part of the open world genre, it doesn't load levels like in a linear game - there is always data that has to be streamed between RAM, video RAM and HDD. Basically, the reason for the same handful of vehicles to appear repetitively, are RAM and video RAM limitations.

There are a number of possible solutions to the problem, but not all of them are effective. For example, if the cars were to use lower poly models and lower res textures, then it would be possible to spawn a bigger variety of them on-screen. The downside of this is that they would leave much to be desired when it comes to the visuals. The new releases will feature high poly models and high resolution textures. And this applies not only to the vehicles but the game in general. The next-gen consoles and PC are far superior to the PS360, so the spawn issues could be solved for the most part, if only the graphical fidelity were the same. Which is not the case, as I mentioned, so the situation is pretty much the same as before.

I think the car variety will be better in the coming releases, but don't expect any miracles.

Exactly. Thank you for contributing. I had a feeling it worked like this to some degree but didn't know the specifics. I certainly hope that the higher quality vehicles in the remastered version won't cause the game to have the same variety problems as current gen. It's really distracting seeing 20 fusilades pass me on the road in a row -_-

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:49 AM

I stopped playing Single Player because of that spawn bug. Hoping NG fixes that. Before the bug ruined my game though I noticed quite a bit of variety. (The most I've seen in a GTA)

Nick930930
  • Nick930930

the Godfather

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:52 AM

I stopped playing Single Player because of that spawn bug. Hoping NG fixes that. Before the bug ruined my game though I noticed quite a bit of variety. (The most I've seen in a GTA)

Read above, it's not a bug. 

It's more varied than it was in past GTA games, but it's still a common issue. And it's ever present. It's not a bug, it's just how the car spawning is designed. 

• NYC PATROL likes this

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

Read above, it's not a bug. 

It's more varied than it was in past GTA games, but it's still a common issue. And it's ever present. It's not a bug, it's just how the car spawning is designed. 

The reason I refer to it as bug is because the problem didn't happen at all to me until the very end of the story. I had a lot of car variety during my playthrough. Then boom I save a side job after I beat the story and repeat cars are spawning. But I understand the RAM issue. It was happening in past GTA's. I guess V was just the one where it all crumbled.

KingGTAV
  • KingGTAV

Unutterably Mesmerized by New-Gen GTA: V.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:44 PM Edited by KingGTAV, 20 August 2014 - 08:46 PM.

If Rockstar can calibrate the new renditions of Grand Theft Auto: V to facilitate a respectable variation of vehicles, whilst rendering at the stellar high quality caliber, it will be appreciated. It will be more than appreciated; it will be epic. :) Moreover, if there is to be the rise of another trailer, accompanied by some more nuances, perhaps we will see a new, enriched perspective with the vehicles.

It would be nice if this is effective for both commandeered and stationary vehicles, i.e. a flow of traffic consisting of one sedan, one coupé, one tailgate, one crossover, one SUV, and any variation thereof, with same being true for parking lots. :) A nice distinction of vehicles prone to specific vicinities will only add to the realism. I cannot wait to see and commandeer vehicles with a crisp coat of high resolution textures, externally and internally. :)              

danny41294
  • danny41294

True City Killers Don

• Members

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

Not sure but I know that there is a mod that fixes that issue in GTA IV.

Luismy_MMD
  • Luismy_MMD

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:53 PM

The funny thing is, it's not based on the car that you get into. You just so happened to get into one of the cars that's spawning all around you. If you drive your personal car out of the garage and drive around forever, chances are you will never see another vacca or bullet driving around. GTAIV and GTAV just have the same coding in place for spawning nearby traffic that relies on picking from 5 cars and generating them within a certain radius that is far enough that you don't notice them spawning int he distance (even though you generally do lol). Hopefully the PS4/XboxOne/PC will allow Rockstar to finally upgrade this code so that it picks from a larger variety... but I feel as though they'll just make the code pick from 10 cars instead, so we'll still see repeats, just not as many. 

I remember in GTAIV, turning a corner and seeing an entire street of parallel parked minivans all in various colors. Looked ridiculous. In GTAV, I take advantage of this poor coding and steal as many of the $9000 baller SUVs as I can and store them in my 10 car garage to sell whenever I get the chance. 

Actually it is.

The only way to find an Infernus in the traffic in GTA IV was to drive an Infernus gotten from a mission.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:54 PM

The reason I refer to it as bug is because the problem didn't happen at all to me until the very end of the story. I had a lot of car variety during my playthrough. Then boom I save a side job after I beat the story and repeat cars are spawning. But I understand the RAM issue. It was happening in past GTA's. I guess V was just the one where it all crumbled.

http://gtaforums.com...s-spawning-bug/

What you're experiencing is definitely a bug, as the limitation in SP is increased enough that repeat cars isn't that much of a problem. 

Considering this, I'm guessing the OP is talking about online. Personally, with the density you get on consoles in SP I like the variation they have, as it seems adequate. There isn't the problem like IV or Online where you easily notice the duplicates, however with the increased density as seen in the trailer I'd like there to be a tad more variety, otherwise with the increased car count there will be far more duplicate cars.

Nick930930
  • Nick930930

the Godfather

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

http://gtaforums.com...s-spawning-bug/

What you're experiencing is definitely a bug, as the limitation in SP is increased enough that repeat cars isn't that much of a problem. 

Considering this, I'm guessing the OP is talking about online. Personally, with the density you get on consoles in SP I like the variation they have, as it seems adequate. There isn't the problem like IV or Online where you easily notice the duplicates, however with the increased density as seen in the trailer I'd like there to be a tad more variety, otherwise with the increased car count there will be far more duplicate cars.

I don't think it's a bug sorry. I think it's simply a limitation of the hardware. You are right however, it is far less common to see duplicate cars in single player (but it does happen all the time). If you are actually paying attention to the cars you drive past, there's a specific number of different car types on the road at any given moment. They randomize every few minutes (or miles depending on what you're doing). 

The online has more players and thus runs into bigger performance issues. Therefore the amount of variety in cars at any given moment was reduced to around 5 cars at a time. 

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

Already has been explained, how it has to do with RAM. But with next gen consoles, they finally have a large enough chunk of RAM that imho they could double up the current traffic variety and get away with it. If they don't take advantage of that RAM, then it's on them for being lazy.

Choteron
  • Choteron

Unfreeze me the 27 of January

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:54 PM Edited by Choteron, 21 August 2014 - 05:55 PM.

Already has been explained, how it has to do with RAM. But with next gen consoles, they finally have a large enough chunk of RAM that imho they could double up the current traffic variety and get away with it. If they don't take advantage of that RAM, then it's on them for being lazy.

Agreed.

You can see that in Assasins Creed Unity gameplay where there is a huge amount of NPCS on the streets. Is amazing.

Wow, i cant image how amazing will be the next GTA.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:53 PM

Agreed.

You can see that in Assasins Creed Unity gameplay where there is a huge amount of NPCS on the streets. Is amazing.

Wow, i cant image how amazing will be the next GTA.

It can go both ways. It's possible that they release the next gen port and the amount of traffic and pedestrian variety is astounding. Or it could be similar to GTA IV on PC where you could set traffic density to 100, but get all the same few cars spawning.

Just remember, curb your enthusiasm and hopefulness so in the event of a letdown, the damage is minimal.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

NSA Agent

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

I actually want more pedestrian variety, there is a lot of beutifully detailed and good looking models in the game but around 3 to 4 spawn consistently.

bistuskot
  • bistuskot

PC version in few weeks or so

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

They should add vehicles from all DLCs to the street traffic too, not only store them in the garage. It's irritating...

• sly1286, theGTAking101, Luismy_MMD and 1 other like this

Nick930930
  • Nick930930

the Godfather

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:17 PM

I actually want more pedestrian variety, there is a lot of beutifully detailed and good looking models in the game but around 3 to 4 spawn consistently.

Honestly I never noticed. I'm more concerned with the driving aspect of the game. I wouldn't mind more variety with specific characters in the game. Like gas station store clerks. They all look the same. Either an indian guy or an asian guy... kinda annoying. 

Also.. why can't they add in an option to skip the annoying cutscenes at the end of online missions? My god if I have to hear Martin yell out "FOOOORE!" one more time -_-

Coolstream
  • Coolstream

INSERT{CODE}

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:57 PM

I like the fact that I don't see a Coquette everywhere when I'm in one, but seeing only 3-4 of the same car is tedious. RAM isn't a limitation for the consoles anymore and has never been one on PC.

Geeteeaifive
  • Geeteeaifive

Andrew

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:39 AM Edited by Geeteeaifive, 26 August 2014 - 06:46 AM.

If anyone here has played GTAV already (or even GTAIV for that matter) you should already have noticed that the game only appears to load 4 different car types at a time, meaning you get LOTS of repeat cars as you drive down a busy highway. This really destroys the immersion and is very frustrating when you're hunting for a specific car to sell or just want to actually enjoy the entire premise of the game... grand theft auto -_-

Do you think GTAV for next gen/ PC will finally offer us a bigger variety of cars on the road to help hide the fact that the game can only handle so many models being loaded at a time? if you look very closely at the GTAV next gen reveal at E3 2014, you'll notice that there are very similar headlights despite the density of traffic having been increased. Should we be worried? 

No im not aware of that. PC version car variety is huge. I rarely see two of the same cars at one time. We're talking about gta iv right? That's as long as you keep traffic density below 50, when u bump it high it spawns a lot of cars and most of them are the same.

vlad_8011
  • vlad_8011

Player Hater

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

I will not buy GTA V. I have tried everything on their forums, with "submit request" options and nothing. Now they blocked me an option to add a comment on forum - thats pathetic! If someone says right about them they are blocking him, if someone is trying to help with bug that they made - they blocking him. I tell everyone - don't buy games from R* - biggest cheaters and ignorants I ever seen. Suport will ignore your problem, small bugs that you can fix by yourself will be not fixed by years (example :car variants). And when you hit your requests to see how many times you was writing to them - all bugs will be "solved" but still present in games. If you will want write about this on their forum - they will block you. Fantastic isnt it? I have solution for make this bug smaller:
1. Delete all patch data 
2. Start downloading first patch 1/13, and let it install
3. If downloader start download 2/13 patch abort it.
4. Now you should have v1.06 GTA V without this bug
You need to play few time untill you will se diference, it that doesnt help try to use savegame editor (http://www.gtainside...at=577&id=56200) and if you have completed story mode, unmark all options about the mission stats (time of completion, events etc) - you will have still 100% completion but no stats in missions about its complete.

And one more time F***** ©Rockstar Games!

HesamB
  • HesamB

Please god, not another delay...

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

I will not buy GTA V. I have tried everything on their forums, with "submit request" options and nothing. Now they blocked me an option to add a comment on forum - thats pathetic! If someone says right about them they are blocking him, if someone is trying to help with bug that they made - they blocking him. I tell everyone - don't buy games from R* - biggest cheaters and ignorants I ever seen. Suport will ignore your problem, small bugs that you can fix by yourself will be not fixed by years (example :car variants). And when you hit your requests to see how many times you was writing to them - all bugs will be "solved" but still present in games. If you will want write about this on their forum - they will block you. Fantastic isnt it? I have solution for make this bug smaller:
1. Delete all patch data 
2. Start downloading first patch 1/13, and let it install
3. If downloader start download 2/13 patch abort it.
4. Now you should have v1.06 GTA V without this bug
You need to play few time untill you will se diference, it that doesnt help try to use savegame editor (http://www.gtainside...at=577&id=56200) and if you have completed story mode, unmark all options about the mission stats (time of completion, events etc) - you will have still 100% completion but no stats in missions about its complete.

And one more time F***** ©Rockstar Games!

Dude what the f*ck r u talking about? Low car variety is not bug, Its there becuz of console limitations.

Grupy
  • Grupy

there is no need to be upset

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:06 PM Edited by Grupy, 26 August 2014 - 12:06 PM.

Loads of openworld games (sleeping dogs, just cause) use this memory saving *trick*, even on the pc versions. Hopefully this is absent on the next gen version of GTA V.. (8GB ram pc requirements anyone :D ?)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users