Quantcast

» «
Photo

if strangers and freaks were story missions

36 replies to this topic

Poll: if strangers and freaks were story missions (35 member(s) have cast votes)

would strangers and freaks help the story?

1. yes it would help a lot (10 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. no, the story would (25 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote
LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Je ne sais point, je ne sais gučre

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:58 PM

To be honest, GTA stories are usually poorly written. Only VC and IV were well written, even though VC was based on multiple movies. GTA V's story is not worse than SA's story. At least, it makes some sense. Just because IV's story was so well written according to you guys doesn't mean V's story is awful. Look at movies sequels. So many of them have worse stories than its predecessors.

And no, strangers and freaks are not good at all and would just make not the story longer, not better.

Pretty much. A lot of people praise San Andreas' story when a gangbanger from the streets breaking into a secret military base and getting out alive with a Jetpack doesn't make any more sense then a middle aged psycho flawlessly flying a Cropduster into a cargo plane, killing everyone and then being chased by the Air Force while not a single f*ck was given.

Vice City had definitely the best story (IMO) and that's because it was Scarface.

I was impressed with what GTA IV tried to do and I thought it started really well. Niko, coming to America to experience the American dream and get away from an ugly, violent life. Roman's lies and the harsh reality that Niko finds. Then him acting as the bodyguard and protector to his gambling addict cousin. But after their taxi business burnt down (and the excellent escape to the second island) the story became stale, in my opinion. Niko kept on taking jobs for $1000 when he had $1,000,000 in his bank account. He kept on living in squalor and NOT living the American dream he came here to live. And Niko seemed to forget about the revenge mission he was on to keep partaking in silly little sub quests for mob bosses he didn't need to work for. The ending was OK but there was no real momentum, unlike the classic finale of Vice City. So, although GTA IV had a good story, I don't personally think it was better than GTA V's overall.

One thing about Strangers and Freaks, they're definitely more fun and inventive than the Strangers missions in GTA IV.

I agree with you. GTA IV's story was full of filler missions about people Niko had no reason to work with. That said, I still think IV's story was better overall. The ending(s), even if it didn't have a real momentum, as you said, at least felt like the end of the game, unlike GTA V where there could've been a lot instead of the protagonists killing all their enemies in one mission. It felt rough.

• DaCosta likes this

ddyoung
  • ddyoung

Get freaky... Not that freaky

• Members
  • England

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:13 AM

I think some would. Like the Mafia daughter could give you access to some Mafia guys for heists and the wedding party guys could bring you girlfriends.

BisP
  • BisP

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:21 AM

I think we can all agree that no GTA story is perfect. However, after playing RDR and MP3 we KNOW that Rockstar can tell a solid story. And that's why (to me at least) V's story was so underwhelming. Then again, they had to focus on 3 of them instead of 1. Blah.  :r*:

• Official General likes this

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Perhaps here things will be different

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:56 AM

To be honest, GTA stories are usually poorly written. Only VC and IV were well written, even though VC was based on multiple movies. GTA V's story is not worse than SA's story. At least, it makes some sense. Just because IV's story was so well written according to you guys doesn't mean V's story is awful. Look at movies sequels. So many of them have worse stories than its predecessors.

And no, strangers and freaks are not good at all and would just make not the story longer, not better.

Pretty much. A lot of people praise San Andreas' story when a gangbanger from the streets breaking into a secret military base and getting out alive with a Jetpack doesn't make any more sense then a middle aged psycho flawlessly flying a Cropduster into a cargo plane, killing everyone and then being chased by the Air Force while not a single f*ck was given.

Vice City had definitely the best story (IMO) and that's because it was Scarface.

I was impressed with what GTA IV tried to do and I thought it started really well. Niko, coming to America to experience the American dream and get away from an ugly, violent life. Roman's lies and the harsh reality that Niko finds. Then him acting as the bodyguard and protector to his gambling addict cousin. But after their taxi business burnt down (and the excellent escape to the second island) the story became stale, in my opinion. Niko kept on taking jobs for $1000 when he had $1,000,000 in his bank account. He kept on living in squalor and NOT living the American dream he came here to live. And Niko seemed to forget about the revenge mission he was on to keep partaking in silly little sub quests for mob bosses he didn't need to work for. The ending was OK but there was no real momentum, unlike the classic finale of Vice City. So, although GTA IV had a good story, I don't personally think it was better than GTA V's overall.

One thing about Strangers and Freaks, they're definitely more fun and inventive than the Strangers missions in GTA IV.

I don't agree with that. I thought the subplots in GTA IV such as PBX/Dwayne made the story more interesting as it gave a different perspective of LC's underworld that never would've been explored otherwise had every mission been fabricated around Niko's revenge motive.

Yes there were parts of the story that Niko didn't need to partake in, but to me it felt like an epic cross country road trip (in a sense) meeting different characters and seeing/dealing with their problems along the way. I think GTA IV's story would be perfect for a TV series just because of the way it's structured.

IMO GTA V's story is weak not because of the number of missions, but it genuinely lacks character development. If I had to describe GTA V's story it would be a bad week at work rather than a journey like GTA IV or even SA.

• Official General, Osho and PhilosophicalZebra like this

Sp3cial_H3rbs
  • Sp3cial_H3rbs

Hash Masta

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

should of implemented S&F for online. not to sound politically incorrect but the border patrol mission (SP) was hella fun.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

If they somehow tied in with the main story and made it better, then hell to the yes. The problem with V's story is the lack of supporting character mission strands. 

They couldve incorporated that mob guys daughter you save into some extra missions. that wouldve been cool and gave the feel of the other gta's

iam2fresh
  • iam2fresh

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

I think we can all agree that no GTA story is perfect. However, after playing RDR and MP3 we KNOW that Rockstar can tell a solid story. And that's why (to me at least) V's story was so underwhelming. Then again, they had to focus on 3 of them instead of 1. Blah.  :r*:

gta 4's story was great it was really dragged out but a great story none the less also san andreas story was good until you left los santos.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users