Quantcast

» «
Photo

if strangers and freaks were story missions

36 replies to this topic

Poll: if strangers and freaks were story missions (35 member(s) have cast votes)

would strangers and freaks help the story?

1. yes it would help a lot (10 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. no, the story would (25 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote
iam2fresh
  • iam2fresh

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:33 PM

so many people here think that gta 5's story is to short, micheal trevor and fraklin aren't developed enough, and villians like strech are just there. with strangers and freaks theirs a total of 127 missions in the game. do you this were story missions the story would be better? thoughts?

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

Silly, really, isn't it? I think it has probably more content than any GTA before it, but because it's not within the story, people aren't counting it. 

I don't think it would have made a difference. People have reacted badly to the decision to not include things they wanted to see, or expected (convinced themselves, more like) to see. Expecting the story to be longer than V's was one of those things. 

Personally, I think the story was OK, but I enjoyed everything outside of the story way more. I really like the fact that there was an obvious design decision made to allow players to find things within the world outside of the constraints of the story - much like the real world, when you step outside of the 'normal', you find many hidden surprises.

Allowing people freedom and the ability to use their imagination was too much for some people. They want to be hand-held throughout. 

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:44 PM Edited by Official General, 18 August 2014 - 01:02 PM.

Strangers and Freaks for most part was weak, and in some cases boring, despite the fact that some of the missions were fun. If Strangers and Freaks missions were in the main story, I think the situation would have been much worse. V's story is bad as it is. 

• sqre, TJGM and fac316 like this

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

Grand Theft Auto IV

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

It would make an already poorly written story even worse.

• sqre, Official General and fac316 like this

dillono
  • dillono

Please Assume The Position.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

It would make an already poorly written story even worse.

The story wasn't that bad, I didn't mind it. Besides, R* games aren't solely known for the GTA Series because of it's storyline anyway. 

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:03 PM Edited by Official General, 18 August 2014 - 01:06 PM.

The story wasn't that bad, I didn't mind it. Besides, R* games aren't solely known for the GTA Series because of it's storyline anyway. 

Yeah sure you're right, because you say so  :sarcasm:

Look at the way you contradict yourself. First you claim V's story was just fine, then you say the story is not really important in GTA anyway . If you had such conviction that V's story was good, then why bother to further defend it by dismissing the importance of a story in GTA games ? 

Pathetic. 

• sqre likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:04 PM Edited by Fuzzknuckles, 18 August 2014 - 01:10 PM.

Weird, normally it's YOU that's right just because you say so. 

Look at the way you contradict yourself. First you claim V's story was just fine, then you say the story is not really important in GTA anyway . 

Strangers and Freaks for most part was weak, and in some cases boring, despite the fact that some of the missions were fun.

Lololol.

• Lucchese, Upggrade and Bill Williamson like this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:17 PM Edited by Official General, 18 August 2014 - 01:46 PM.

Weird, normally it's YOU that's right just because you say so. 

Look at the way you contradict yourself. First you claim V's story was just fine, then you say the story is not really important in GTA anyway . 

Strangers and Freaks for most part was weak, and in some cases boring, despite the fact that some of the missions were fun.

Lololol.

For the part I beg to differ. I never force people to accept my opinions. I just staunchly defend mine, you got your wires crossed mate. If you think that, that's on you. 

Secondly no I did not contradict myself. In my view, fun is not everything or the only main thing that makes a great game, especially in GTA's case. I like a really good and interesting story to go with it. I can indulge in 'fun' gameplay  for short while, but before long I find myself wanting something more. It's not just all about the fun for me. And if you're not illiterate, I'm pretty sure you can see I said "some of the missions were fun".

Come on it's really not that hard. 

• sqre and PhilosophicalZebra like this

kevin de santa
  • kevin de santa

Thug

• BUSTED!
  • Ireland

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

You know office general in my short time on this form I don't think I've ever seen you make a positive post
  • Fuzzknuckles, Lucchese and Bill Williamson like this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

You know office general in my short time on this form I don't think I've ever seen you make a positive post

I have made them. You just haven't seen them. I will notify you once I do. 

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

I don't think they would've improved the story if they were apart of it. For the most part the Strangers & Freaks missions were only used to introduce side activities or collectibles any way.
  • sqre and Journey_95 like this

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:44 PM

They're good at first few play-throughs, but eventually become boring and repetitive, besides the fact that they actually provide an escape from the main story.
No way, I could consider them part of the story missions.
There're almost no 'interesting' side activities, and the game needs more such non-scripted opportunities, after completing the S&F, RE and main plot.
  • SonOfLiberty, sqre and Official General like this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:50 PM Edited by Official General, 18 August 2014 - 06:28 PM.

They're good at first few play-throughs, but eventually become boring and repetitive, besides the fact that they actually provide an escape from the main story.
There're almost no 'interesting' side activities, and the game needs more such non-scripted opportunities, after completing the S&F, RE and main plot.

I totally agree. A great example is the side missions from Vice City you had to do to help Tommy Vercetti create his criminal and business empire. They were tons of fun, but at the same time they were very interesting, I remember being so immersed into the whole thing. Going to war with rival gangsters to take over businesses and sell drugs, using violence to intimidate legit businesses to pay protection money, stealing cars to boost your car dealership - stuff like that was not just fun, but real interesting. That stuff was the real deal of GTA side activities. 

Not some bullsh*t stuff about fighting aliens and space monsters in a dream from the effects of smoking weed, silly paparazzi chases, pointless legal cannabis racket that goes nowhere, or burglarizing homes of the rich and famous so a pensioner couple can get antiques and mementos. I just was not impressed at all, I expected much better than all that.

• SonOfLiberty, sqre, Cutter De Blanc and 3 others like this

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:54 PM Edited by The Odyssey, 18 August 2014 - 01:55 PM.

If they somehow tied in with the main story and made it better, then hell to the yes. The problem with V's story is the lack of supporting character mission strands. 

sibs44
  • sibs44

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:16 PM Edited by sibs44, 18 August 2014 - 02:17 PM.

^ This.

I totally agree. A great example is the side missions from Vice City you had to do to help Tommy Vercetti create his criminal and business empire. They were tons of fun, but at the same time they were very interesting, I remember being so immersed into the whole thing. Going to war with rival gangsters to take over businesses and sell drugs, using violence to intimidate legit businesses to pay protection money, stealing cars to boost your car dealership - stuff like that was not just fun, but real interesting. That stuff was the rea deal. 

Not some bullsh*t stuff about fighting aliens and space monsters in a dream from the effects of smoking weed, silly paparazzi chases, pointless legal cannabis racket that goes nowhere, or burglarizing homes of the rich and famous so a pensioner couple can get antiques and mementos. I just was not impressed at all, I expected much better than all that.

Tommy Vercetti did those things because he was mobster, he needed to do things shaped around his criminal lifestyle. It fit into the game the same way weed, aliens and cannabis fit into southern california. That being said, while those things technically fit into the game, it wasn't executed very nicely, IMO. Especially because they didn't have anything else to make up for that silly content. 

• SonOfLiberty and Official General like this

Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

The thing a lot of the whiners seem to unconditionally ignore is that not only do the S&F missions invalidate this "omg...69 missions...why so short" bollocks, but the heist alternatives also technically extend the mission count. But to answer your question OP, I wasn't really that disappointed with the story in the first place, so I'm content with the manner in which these *side missions were implemented.

*I say "side missions"; some of them felt like full missions IMO.
  • Fuzzknuckles and The Odyssey like this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

If the S&F missions had been included among the Story missions, no one would've known the difference between them.  However, it still wouldn't have changed the perception of the story by the game's detractors, because it wouldn't change the fact that V is the latest game in the series and has a slight shift in tone from the previous game, and is therefore the worst thing in the world ever according to them.

• Lucchese likes this

kevin de santa
  • kevin de santa

Thug

• BUSTED!
  • Ireland

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

I liked them thought they were interesting

PhilosophicalZebra
  • PhilosophicalZebra

No, that's not a Paul Smith coat.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

They were mostly there just to introduce more side-content. For example, Tonya's tedious missions. You get to tow cars with a tow truck five times. There are no complications, just go here, take the car and bring it to a garage. Five times. After completing those, you get to buy the impound lot and tow more cars. Yay.

The only ones I can honestly say I enjoyed were MaryAnn's and Maude's. No stupid collectible searching required to get further, just simple, amusing side-missions. They all should have been like that.

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

so many people here think that gta 5's story is to short, micheal trevor and fraklin aren't developed enough, and villians like strech are just there. with strangers and freaks theirs a total of 127 missions in the game. do you this were story missions the story would be better? thoughts?

It would probably have been better if they were replaced with story missions, since the majority of Strangers & Freaks missions are too short to be story missions.  I liked some of the S&F missions, some I hated. The bounty hunter set of missions was pretty cool. I wish it was one of those things that you could continue doing. 

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

I totally agree. A great example is the side missions from Vice City you had to do to help Tommy Vercetti create his criminal and business empire. They were tons of fun, but at the same time they were very interesting, I remember being so immersed into the whole thing. Going to war with rival gangsters to take over businesses and sell drugs, using violence to intimidate legit businesses to pay protection money, stealing cars to boost your car dealership - stuff like that was not just fun, but real interesting. That stuff was the rea deal. 

Thanks for reminding me about the VC missions, Officer General, that makes me realise what I think was missing in GTA V.

Before I played the game I knew that Franklin was going to be acquiring cars for Franklin. I always considered that a large part of the introduction would be Franklin stealing car after car for Simeon. But this didn't really happen. Michael was brought into the story and Simeon was practically taken out of the equation.

I wonder if the game would have been better and longer if you had to live Franklin's life, before Michael, for longer - by having to steal cars, work sh*tty jobs with Lamar and living with your aunt in Grove Street.

Is that the kind of thing people were expecting to improve the length and quality of the story?

• Official General likes this

bish0p2004
  • bish0p2004

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:21 PM

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Strangers and Freaks missions period (in RDR, GTA IV, or V) and I think they should just be a part of the story.

I'd much rather have more original and open ended side activities that you can do indefinitely.  Of course, there would be a limit to the variations, but I think it would add to the ability to role play.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:23 PM Edited by Official General, 18 August 2014 - 08:26 PM.

^ This.

I totally agree. A great example is the side missions from Vice City you had to do to help Tommy Vercetti create his criminal and business empire. They were tons of fun, but at the same time they were very interesting, I remember being so immersed into the whole thing. Going to war with rival gangsters to take over businesses and sell drugs, using violence to intimidate legit businesses to pay protection money, stealing cars to boost your car dealership - stuff like that was not just fun, but real interesting. That stuff was the real deal. 

Tommy Vercetti did those things because he was mobster, he needed to do things shaped around his criminal lifestyle. It fit into the game the same way weed, aliens and cannabis fit into southern california. That being said, while those things technically fit into the game, it wasn't executed very nicely, IMO. Especially because they didn't have anything else to make up for that silly content. 

@ sibs44

And I agree with you bro. You see, the thing is, I don't mind the weed, legal cannabis, paparazzi, and other stuff in the game associated with Southern California, but like you said, it was just poorly executed in GTA V, that's the problem I have with it all. And you're spot on again, if they had other more interesting and fun stuff on the side to add, then I'd probably have overlooked the silly stuff. Problem with that, is that there was not much else out of the story apart from the mostly silly, and gimmicky Strangers and Freak missions. There could have easily made made decent side missions and activities to with decent side stories for all of 3 protagonists. For instance a quick overview :

* Franklin - Every now and then he helps Lamar try to unite and bring their gang to prominence again, this involves side stuff like gang wars, gang recruitment, drug-dealing. Recreational stuff like gym, ghetto basketball, gambling in dice games. Also, a nice range of simple to complex car theft missions for Simeon Yetarian's high-level auto-theft rings. 

* Michael - Still has family problems. His son keeps getting into trouble trying to act cool like a "gangsta", so he always has to bail him out. His daughter has stalkers and ex-boyfriends on her trail, so he 'takes care' of the problem. His wife Amanda falls under the influence of the Altruist cult, and he has to infiltrate them and bring them down. Side stuff includes the stuff already there like yoga, tennis, etc, as that suits him more than the other two guys.

* Trevor - Wants to create his own criminal enterprise in the desert towns, so goes to war with the Lost MC over the meth trade and also wars with rival weed growers for dominance in the weed-growing trade. Gang wars with the Lost MC as side missions, more weed farm raids and bounty hunter stuff too. Trevor takes meth, so the alien/monster hallucinations would best suit him.

Side activity for all 3 guys - mini-heists, whenever they feel bored with living a life of luxury and relaxation, and wanna go for a bit of an adrenaline-pumped, quick thrill. 

So many great ways this stuff could have been implemented. But no, they gave us that bullsh*t Strangers and Freaks and nothing else. 

• sibs44 and DaCosta like this

Bill Williamson
  • Bill Williamson

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:37 PM

I totally agree. A great example is the side missions from Vice City you had to do to help Tommy Vercetti create his criminal and business empire. They were tons of fun, but at the same time they were very interesting, I remember being so immersed into the whole thing. Going to war with rival gangsters to take over businesses and sell drugs, using violence to intimidate legit businesses to pay protection money, stealing cars to boost your car dealership - stuff like that was not just fun, but real interesting. That stuff was the real deal of GTA side activities. 

:^: :^: :^: :^: :^: :^:  I agree bro bro, you are right bro...totally agree bro, HIGH FIVE!!!

For me it wouldn t feel right if they were included as story missions, they were clearly intended as a fun distraction...I liked them but I don t think adding them to the main story would have helped.

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

There could have easily made made decent side missions and activities to with decent side stories for all of 3 protagonists. For instance a quick overview :

* Franklin - Every now and then he helps Lamar try to unite and bring their gang to prominence again, this involves side stuff like gang wars, gang recruitment, drug-dealing. Recreational stuff like gym, ghetto basketball, gambling in dice games. Also, a nice range of simple to complex car theft missions for Simeon Yetarian's high-level auto-theft rings. 

* Michael - Still has family problems. His son keeps getting into trouble trying to act cool like a "gangsta", so he always has to bail him out. His daughter has stalkers and ex-boyfriends on her trail, so he 'takes care' of the problem. His wife Amanda falls under the influence of the Altruist cult, and he has to infiltrate them and bring them down. Side stuff includes the stuff already there like yoga, tennis, etc, as that suits him more than the other two guys.

* Trevor - Wants to create his own criminal enterprise in the desert towns, so goes to war with the Lost MC over the meth trade and also wars with rival weed growers for dominance in the weed-growing trade. Gang wars with the Lost MC as side missions, more weed farm raids and bounty hunter stuff too. Trevor takes meth, so the alien/monster hallucinations would best suit him.

Side activity for all 3 guys - mini-heists, whenever they feel bored with living a life of luxury and relaxation, and wanna go for a bit of an adrenaline-pumped, quick thrill. 

So many great ways this stuff could have been implemented. But no, they gave us that bullsh*t Strangers and Freaks and nothing else. 

For me it wouldn t feel right if they were included as story missions, they were clearly intended as a fun distraction...I liked them but I don t think adding them to the main story would have helped.

I agree that the Strangers and Freaks were fun distractions and should be separate from the main story but really like the ideas of Officer General above.

I get the feeling Rockstar were trying to give the impression of Franklin struggling with his old lifestyle, Trevor battling to take control of his business and Michael trying to come to terms with his life and family but a series of additional mini-missions, as suggested by OG, would have really got these concepts across, whilst also prolonging the storyline.

So, agreed to not adding S&F's to the main plot but there could have been some very good filler missions as well.

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

I Love Pony Farming

• Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:07 PM

I didn't mind some of the S&F missions, but like most of you I wanted a little more glue to the story.  Some of the stranger missions, like Packie or that lady that drives (can't remember her name atm) fit right in.  But the freaks missions like Marry Ann or the guy who wants you to collect the spaceship parts had no real bearing unless you wanted 100% or something.  I will say one thing, at least it encourages you to explore the map.  The frenetic mission-to-mission pace didn't leave you much room to explore other than to say f-it to the mission structure.  I had to purposefully slow down and enjoy the sights of LS.  So finding these little tidbits on the way really added to the fun of exploring.  

sibs44
  • sibs44

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

^ This.

I totally agree. A great example is the side missions from Vice City you had to do to help Tommy Vercetti create his criminal and business empire. They were tons of fun, but at the same time they were very interesting, I remember being so immersed into the whole thing. Going to war with rival gangsters to take over businesses and sell drugs, using violence to intimidate legit businesses to pay protection money, stealing cars to boost your car dealership - stuff like that was not just fun, but real interesting. That stuff was the real deal. 

I'd actually love to see this kind of stuff in the SP DLC. Let's hope Rockstar has something up their sleeve.  :santa:

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:16 PM

To be honest, GTA stories are usually poorly written. Only VC and IV were well written, even though VC was based on multiple movies. GTA V's story is not worse than SA's story. At least, it makes some sense. Just because IV's story was so well written according to you guys doesn't mean V's story is awful. Look at movies sequels. So many of them have worse stories than its predecessors.

And no, strangers and freaks are not good at all and would just make not the story longer, not better.

• Bill Williamson likes this

oCrapaCreeper
  • oCrapaCreeper

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:33 PM Edited by oCrapaCreeper, 18 August 2014 - 09:34 PM.

To be honest, GTA stories are usually poorly written. Only VC and IV were well written, even though VC was based on multiple movies. GTA V's story is not worse than SA's story. At least, it makes some sense. Just because IV's story was so well written according to you guys doesn't mean V's story is awful. Look at movies sequels. So many of them have worse stories than its predecessors.

And no, strangers and freaks are not good at all and would just make not the story longer, not better.

Pretty much. A lot of people praise San Andreas' story when a gangbanger from the streets breaking into a secret military base and getting out alive with a Jetpack doesn't make any more sense then a middle aged psycho flawlessly flying a Cropduster into a cargo plane, killing everyone and then being chased by the Air Force while not a single f*ck was given.

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:51 PM Edited by DaCosta, 18 August 2014 - 09:52 PM.

Pretty much. A lot of people praise San Andreas' story when a gangbanger from the streets breaking into a secret military base and getting out alive with a Jetpack doesn't make any more sense then a middle aged psycho flawlessly flying a Cropduster into a cargo plane, killing everyone and then being chased by the Air Force while not a single f*ck was given.

Vice City had definitely the best story (IMO) and that's because it was Scarface.

I was impressed with what GTA IV tried to do and I thought it started really well. Niko, coming to America to experience the American dream and get away from an ugly, violent life. Roman's lies and the harsh reality that Niko finds. Then him acting as the bodyguard and protector to his gambling addict cousin. But after their taxi business burnt down (and the excellent escape to the second island) the story became stale, in my opinion. Niko kept on taking jobs for $1000 when he had $1,000,000 in his bank account. He kept on living in squalor and NOT living the American dream he came here to live. And Niko seemed to forget about the revenge mission he was on to keep partaking in silly little sub quests for mob bosses he didn't need to work for. The ending was OK but there was no real momentum, unlike the classic finale of Vice City. So, although GTA IV had a good story, I don't personally think it was better than GTA V's overall.

One thing about Strangers and Freaks, they're definitely more fun and inventive than the Strangers missions in GTA IV.

• Bill Williamson likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users