Photo

Taste in older things

147 replies to this topic
Wendy Testaburger
  • Wendy Testaburger

South Park, CO

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:45 PM Edited by Wendy Testaburger, 18 August 2014 - 03:45 PM.

The 50s didn't have Slayer. Another reason to not live in that gray, dull decade.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=7y5uXogBPqs

That's not music  :cry:

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

be cruel

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None
  • Not Very Punk 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Bloody Ungrateful 2016

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

Sure sounds like it.

Special Members
  • Special Members

Plata O Plomo

• Members
  • Albania

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

The 50s didn't have Slayer. Another reason to not live in that gray, dull decade.http://m.youtube.com...h?v=7y5uXogBPqs

That's not music  :cry:

Yeah, it's Slayer.
  • Failure likes this

GTA_stu
  • GTA_stu

-

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Unfunniest Member 2013
    Unfunniest Member 2012

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:15 PM Edited by stu, 18 August 2014 - 04:16 PM.

Rollerblading, skateboarding, skydiving, videogaming, cheap travel > Poking a dead animal with a stick/chasing pigeons/throwing stones at your friends balls/running around like a maniac  

:p

Tell you what I'll meet you in Trafalgar Square next Saturday, you bring some stones and a stick, and I'll bring along the decomposing cat. If you don't have the time of your life, I'll buy you a rollerblade. Now you can't say fairer than that.

Just bring along a spare pair of socks, because your other pair will be blown right off. 

• Mister Pink and Doc Rikowski like this

Graven
  • Graven

Boss

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:22 PM Edited by Slave Boy, 18 August 2014 - 04:22 PM.

I'm an odd boy. Not like most of the people I know...
It's hard to describe but I'm really not a fan of modern society. I've always wished I could live my teenage years in the 3050s BC.

EI1WBxu.png

• Kampioen, Marwin, na89340qv0n34b09q340 and 4 others like this

Wendy Testaburger
  • Wendy Testaburger

South Park, CO

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

It's hard to describe but I'm really not a fan of modern society. I've always wished I was born in the 3040s BC so I could live my teenage years in the 3050s BC.

Me too!!

Seriously, the reason why people don't agree with me is because I'm weird and I'm proud :)

Kampioen
  • Kampioen

CenMan

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

It's hard to describe but I'm really not a fan of modern society. I've always wished I could live my teenage years in the 3050s BC.

EI1WBxu.png

The 3050s BC were so corny, 3030s BC is where it's at.

• Graven likes this

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:35 PM

It's hard to describe but I'm really not a fan of modern society. I've always wished I was born in the 3040s BC so I could live my teenage years in the 3050s BC.

Me too!!

Seriously, the reason why people don't agree with me is because I'm weird and I'm proud :)
That isn't weird. Being weird is sticking your dick inside of a blender.

The reason why people disagree with you is that the technological era we live in is far more advanced than the past 50 years. If you didn't live in this era, you wouldn't have Internet, you wouldn't be able to post in GTAForums, you wouldn't be able to watch South Park!

Also, if you think this generations youth isn't as good as previous ones, that shouldn't matter. You shouldn't follow the trends after all. Find a couple a friends, maybe a boyfriend, make a new hairstyle, new fashion, have fun, be creative. You don't wanna waste your youth wishing you lived in a different era. Do something interesting with this one.
  • Marwin likes this

Alex Wesker
  • Alex Wesker

No. 012 of Project W

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

"They were definitely good times"

Sexism, Homophobia, and Racism were far worse then.

• The Odyssey likes this

Wendy Testaburger
  • Wendy Testaburger

South Park, CO

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:04 PM Edited by Wendy Testaburger, 18 August 2014 - 05:04 PM.

Me too!!

The reason why people disagree with you is that the technological era we live in is far more advanced than the past 50 years. If you didn't live in this era, you wouldn't have Internet, you wouldn't be able to post in GTAForums, you wouldn't be able to watch South Park!

Also, if you think this generations youth isn't as good as previous ones, that shouldn't matter. You shouldn't follow the trends after all. Find a couple a friends, maybe a boyfriend, make a new hairstyle, new fashion, have fun, be creative. You don't wanna waste your youth wishing you lived in a different era. Do something interesting with this one.

The thing is, in the 80s like I mentioned before, there were just more things to do. People were more fun, they didn't need South Park (there were the Simpsons (1989 i think) ) or the GTA Forums. Guess I've been watching too much back to the future lol

Wendy Testaburger
  • Wendy Testaburger

South Park, CO

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

THIS is music.

Payne
  • Payne

f*ck you

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

older women

Special Members
  • Special Members

Plata O Plomo

• Members
  • Albania

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

Me too!!

The thing is, in the 80s like I mentioned before, there were just more things to do. People were more fun, they didn't need South Park (there were the Simpsons (1989 i think) ) or the GTA Forums. Guess I've been watching too much back to the future lol

How do you know the people in the 80s were more fun, and there were more things to do? You didn't live at the time. You're viewing the 80s through movies. Also, Slayer is from the 80s.
  • Marwin likes this

Kampioen
  • Kampioen

CenMan

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

I feel like in terms of fashion and culture, up to about 2000 there was less room for individualism and trends seemed to be more widely followed, whereas today we have a wider range of subcultures and everything in between. I could be wrong though, I was born in 1990.

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

As much as I like things from before the 2010's I still wouldn't want to actually live in a different decade. Mostly because now we've got everything that made those times so rad but we can still enjoy modern stuff...like Teen Moms.

• Marwin likes this

Special Members
  • Special Members

Plata O Plomo

• Members
  • Albania

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:15 PM

I feel like in terms of fashion and culture, up to about 2000 there was less room for individualism and trends seemed to be more widely followed, whereas today we have a wider range of subcultures and everything in between. I could be wrong though, I was born in 1990.

A teacher I had in 8th grade told a story from when he went to middle school, where half the school were wearing the same t-shirt (Same color aswell). That was in the 90s. It seems like the chance of being bullied for not following trends (Atleast when it comes to clothes), is getting lower these days.

Kampioen
  • Kampioen

CenMan

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:20 PM Edited by CenMan, 18 August 2014 - 08:22 PM.

A teacher I had in 8th grade told a story from when he went to middle school, where half the school were wearing the same t-shirt (Same color aswell). That was in the 90s. It seems like the chance of being bullied for not following trends (Atleast when it comes to clothes), is getting lower these days.

Yeah that's what I thought. Not really related, but this reminds me: there used to be a kid in my class who had a t-shirt with a picture of 2 turds f*cking each other with halo's over their heads, and there was text on it that said "holy f*cking sh*t". I don't think a single teacher ever complained about it. :p

Probably wouldn't have been a good idea in the 60s. My dad would get his hands beaten with a ruler because his fingernails were dirty.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

mountaineer

• Administrator
  • Nicaragua
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013
    Best OGA Member 2014

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:34 PM

Come to Portland, you'll love it.

• Tyler likes this

Marwin
  • Marwin

Marloslov Davidoff

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Norway
  • Kenny G Enthusiast [All Time]
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:43 PM Edited by Marwin Moody, 18 August 2014 - 08:48 PM.

Pros: aesthetics

Cons: Sexism, racism, poor technology, archaic(compared to today's) medicine, homophobia, excessive focus on etiquette, physical violence against children, little variety in popular music. 

what a gr8 time m8

• blitz likes this

DoubleDutch
  • DoubleDutch

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:19 PM Edited by DoubleDutch, 18 August 2014 - 09:31 PM.

life hasnt changed much since the 1950s aside from the obvious advances in technology and attitudes towards gays/women/blacks. people still went to work, they still f*cked each other and they still pissed the bed. they did all the things we do now except everything was worse and apparently nobody shaved their bits. the 1950s you see in films or whatever is great but actually living in the 1950s wouldve been just as dull as life in 2014. think about it, is your life anything like the fast & furious films (or any modern film)?

edit: and the 80s were sh*t as well

Kampioen
  • Kampioen

CenMan

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

Pros: aesthetics

Cons: Sexism, racism, poor technology, archaic(compared to today's) medicine, homophobia, excessive focus on etiquette, physical violence against children, little variety in popular music. 

what a gr8 time m8

Especially the excessive focus on etiquette is what would bother me. That and people telling you how to dress. OP seems to like the way people dressed back then, but it's very boring to me. Suits look classy, but there's not a whole lot of variety in it. You would dress the same as everyone else with very slight differences. Not that I dress very abnormally now, but at least my outfit can look very different from one day to another.

Oh, and you forgot to mention religion. It was almost a disgrace to be an atheist back then. The 1950s would be a terrible time for me to live in.

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:44 PM

THIS is music.

You know there are bands today that still make that kind of music, rockabilly, surf music. You name it, like these guys.

Doc Rikowski
  • Doc Rikowski

First Generation Gamer

• Members
  • Mars
  • Best Gang 2013 - D1RTY12
    Best Event 2011 "Turf Wars"

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:08 PM

...except everything was worse and apparently nobody shaved their bits...

What's with new generations and their obsessive chaetofobia? :pp

80s were great. I was there. ;)
  • Graven likes this

Kampioen
  • Kampioen

CenMan

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:13 PM

...except everything was worse and apparently nobody shaved their bits...

What's with new generations and their obsessive chaetofobia? :pp

80s were great. I was there. ;)

We just want to see the goods! And we don't want to have to go through a rainforest that has several "downpours" a day. A desert landscape seems much more hygenic and sterile.

Palikari
  • Palikari

Live and let live

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:20 PM Edited by Palikari, 18 August 2014 - 10:26 PM.

It's hard to describe but I'm really not a fan of modern society. I've always wished I was born in the 40s so I could live my teenage years in the 50s.

I am not a fan, either. Today's society sucks big. I could point out every thing that sucks in today's society, but then I would never finish.

I love music from back then (Elvis, Chuck Berry, Dion, doo-wop etc), it had some features in it that are just uplifting and just always relatable and fun. Modern music is just computers and sluts screaming or lipsyncing.

Exactly! Today's music sucks. I can't understand how can people like it. I mean, they like a song just because it's fashionable, not because it's catchy or the lyrics are beautiful. Just take a look at Gangnam Style. Sh*ttiest music ever.

I only like classical music and old Israeli songs by Yehoram Gaon, Arik Einstein (Z"L), Gevatron, Naomi Shemer (Z"L), Ilan veIlanit, etc.

The outfits were so nice too! A reason why I'm weird is because I dress for school like a girl would in the 50s; long skirt and a closed, nicely buttoned top. I also wear my hair in those cute 50s styles. Speaking of hair, why don't guys slick their hair anymore like the Greasers? Not sure if you guys have seen "The Outsiders" but that movie is filled with that stuff :)

I agree that modern dress is not so nice in many ways. But formal dress is very nice. But if you dress formal with people call yourposh or preppy. Many people call me so.

Kids had manners and still went outside.

Exactly! Today's young people are very uneducated. Formerly people had more education and respected other people more. I mean, today to be a chav and/or an uneducated asshole is considered normal or even fashionable! Formerly those people where considered scum and marginalized. Today's youth do nothing but drinking till they drop, they have no worries, such as studying to be someone in a nearby future. Today's ignorants are proud to be ignorant fools, decades ago they felt shame and tried to hide their ignorance. Education and intelligence are not valued today as they were before. Today's kids just stay at home playing Call of Duty, telling you they are going to f*ck your mom. Also, kids don't play outside due to a rise of crime and insecurity.

Glad to know I am not alone, but you're a little bit hardcode, aren't you? :) I deeply miss the 90s and I wish I lived in the late 80s. I'd pay ANYTHING to travel to the 80s and 90s.

blitz
  • blitz

lit

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Peru
  • Newcomer of the Year 2011

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:44 PM Edited by blitz, 18 August 2014 - 11:47 PM.

Uh, sorry to break it to you, but women were heavily oppressed in the 50's...

Seriously, the reason why people don't agree with me is because I'm weird and I'm proud

No, it's because you're looking at pretty much the only pro of living in that time.

• Marwin and The Odyssey like this

Buckminsterfullerene
  • Buckminsterfullerene

If it ain't fix it, don't broke it

• Members
  • Senegal

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:50 PM

I've been like you ever since I was 12. 

I've love love loved music from the 50-90s. To this day, Ritchie Valens' Let's Go is still my feel good jam.

Most teens my age think I'm weird because I'm supposedly 'wasting my youth'. 

You don't need to be a retard with sh*t taste in music and clothing to live your youth to its full potential.

• Palikari likes this

Tyler
  • Tyler

omnia vincit amor

• None
  • Best Poem 2014
    Best Story 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:06 AM

Exactly! Today's music sucks. I can't understand how can people like it. I mean, they like a song just because it's fashionable, not because it's catchy or the lyrics are beautiful. Just take a look at Gangnam Style. Sh*ttiest music ever.

"I'm going to go ahead and make the biggest sweeping generalization about an entire era of music and dismiss countless hours of work on the part of content creators simply because I dislike a single pop song that was more of an Internet meme and has all but faded away in the proceeding months after its release-- in fact the only reminder of its existence right now in my mind is the constant pain I feel, the guilt for my entire generation and all its contained musicians for the simple fact that it wasn't nearly as good as the most iconic songs of the last fifty years [an arbitrary period of culture I choose to identify with over my own for almost no other reason than slight quirks and different techniques and experimentation in musical style or innovation]."

ye good job there with that.

• Harley, Nico, blitz and 6 others like this

Kampioen
  • Kampioen

CenMan

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:09 AM

It's hard to describe but I'm really not a fan of modern society. I've always wished I was born in the 40s so I could live my teenage years in the 50s.

I am not a fan, either. Today's society sucks big. I could point out every thing that sucks in today's society, but then I would never finish.

I love music from back then (Elvis, Chuck Berry, Dion, doo-wop etc), it had some features in it that are just uplifting and just always relatable and fun. Modern music is just computers and sluts screaming or lipsyncing.

I only like classical music and old Israeli songs by Yehoram Gaon, Arik Einstein (Z"L), Gevatron, Naomi Shemer (Z"L), Ilan veIlanit, etc.

The outfits were so nice too! A reason why I'm weird is because I dress for school like a girl would in the 50s; long skirt and a closed, nicely buttoned top. I also wear my hair in those cute 50s styles. Speaking of hair, why don't guys slick their hair anymore like the Greasers? Not sure if you guys have seen "The Outsiders" but that movie is filled with that stuff :)

I agree that modern dress is not so nice in many ways. But formal dress is very nice. But if you dress formal with people call yourposh or preppy. Many people call me so.

Kids had manners and still went outside.

Exactly! Today's young people are very uneducated. Formerly people had more education and respected other people more. I mean, today to be a chav and/or an uneducated asshole is considered normal or even fashionable! Formerly those people where considered scum and marginalized. Today's youth do nothing but drinking till they drop, they have no worries, such as studying to be someone in a nearby future. Today's ignorants are proud to be ignorant fools, decades ago they felt shame and tried to hide their ignorance. Education and intelligence are not valued today as they were before. Today's kids just stay at home playing Call of Duty, telling you they are going to f*ck your mom. Also, kids don't play outside due to a rise of crime and insecurity.

Glad to know I am not alone, but you're a little bit hardcode, aren't you? :) I deeply miss the 90s and I wish I lived in the late 80s. I'd pay ANYTHING to travel to the 80s and 90s.

In most places the youth is more highly educated than ever and crime is down. You're idolizing the past.

Buckminsterfullerene
  • Buckminsterfullerene

If it ain't fix it, don't broke it

• Members
  • Senegal

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:13 AM

"I'm going to go ahead and make the biggest sweeping generalization about an entire era of music and dismiss countless hours of work on the part of content creators simply because I dislike a single pop song that was more of an Internet meme and has all but faded away in the proceeding months after its release-- in fact the only reminder of its existence right now in my mind is the constant pain I feel, the guilt for my entire generation and all its contained musicians for the simple fact that it wasn't nearly as good as the most iconic songs of the last fifty years [an arbitrary period of culture I choose to identify with over my own for almost no other reason than slight quirks and different techniques and experimentation in musical style or innovation]."

ye good job there with that.

Jason Derulo's Talk Dirty is enough reason to give up on modern music.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users