Quantcast

» «
Photo

An Immigrant or Native Protagonist ?

32 replies to this topic

Poll: Which type of protagonist Gta you like? (55 member(s) have cast votes)

A Gta game with what kind of Protagonist

1. An Immigrant Protagonist (40 votes [72.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

2. A Native(Local) Protagonist (15 votes [27.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Cristiano Ronaldo 7
  • Cristiano Ronaldo 7

Way its meant to be Played

• Members
  • India

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

Which type of Gta Game do you like to play more?

Immigrant: Recently arrived

Native: Living their from years

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:38 PM Edited by Andreas, 17 August 2014 - 09:45 PM.

I am fine with both. However, it feels more natural if the protagonist hasn't been to the city or the country yet. GTA has never been an exact copy of the real world, but more a reimagined version of it. You won't know any of the locations when you are playing the game for the first time. Basically, you are new to the city and the game world, so it makes more sense if the protagonist is the 'new man in town'.

This is one of many reasons why GTA IV is my favourite game. I've never been to America before, but I have seen plenty of movies that are set in American cities. The same can be said about Niko. He is new to Liberty City and he doesn't know what to expect - just like the player. In which case, I can identify well with the character.
  • sqre, Journey_95, theGTAking101 and 7 others like this

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

Hustler

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:41 PM

I don't really care, but I'd prefer immigrant.

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

Player hater or hater player, or what?

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:52 PM

Immigrant, it was cool for Niko: and I like the whole being new to a country theme. For one, most protagonists in GTA has never been to that city or left for a long time and came back. But for Niko, he was entirely new to the LC, and not just LC: but USA as a whole. 

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Hustler

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:07 PM

I always like how previous GTA's handeled it (pre GTA V)

the protagonist came to a city for the first time (like Tommy and Niko) or he came back after a long time (like CJ)

both cases are better than them just living there

EllieTincan
  • EllieTincan

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

As others have said, either is fine but it's more relatable to the player if they are new in town.

AlfredNTheFettuc
  • AlfredNTheFettuc

Hellbanned but not

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:05 PM Edited by AlfredNTheFettuc, 17 August 2014 - 11:09 PM.

I ultimately prefer an outsider to be the protagonist, so he's as new to the setting as you are and the game has an excuse of giving you a tour, like how Roman introduced Niko to LC.

I suppose it's alright though to have a local if you have multiple protags, like it was done first in EFLC and then V (where Franklin was the only one truly familiar with LS all his life).

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

"Time moves forward, and nothing changes"- Max Payne

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:11 PM

Immigrant it was fun with Niko being new to LC. I like it when a character is new to that part of the world.
  • PreciousWall likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:18 PM

I'd like to see a Native protagonist, especially seeing as with an immigrant protagonist, Rockstar may try to copy Niko too much.

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:19 PM Edited by matajuegos01, 17 August 2014 - 11:20 PM.

An immigrant, we are just like them, we don't know the city.

I'd love jenette mccurdy to cum in my ear

• Smoke Cat, Tao Cheng and maxpaynefan like this

TheFunkyBunch
  • TheFunkyBunch

5 Ft 8 Of Pure Sexiness

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:34 PM Edited by TheFunkyBunch, 17 August 2014 - 11:36 PM.

An English Protagonist being a fan Of British Gangster Films like Snatch And Lock Stock i think a British Gangster would be Cool. 

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

THERE IS NO CHEESE AT THE END OF THIS MAZE. ONLY ASSF*CK.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2013 "The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story."

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:42 PM

Something people aren't considering are people like CJ: he was born and reared in San Andreas, but he was returning there after many years of absence. Technically he's not an immigrant, but it felt natural for him to rediscover the world...

Another interesting aspect was something like IV: You play through as an outsider discovering the world for the first time as the player is, and then you play as Johnny and Luis. Johnny was some punk gutter kid who'd been in Alderny his whole life and Luis was the hot-shot man about Algonquin. That was pretty interesting.

• Mr_Leone, dreadluxx, Zello and 1 other like this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired Gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:13 AM

Native they know the area all the streets all the hotspots and it makes it a bit more realistic not many people from another city can come to a new place and just "Take over"

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

Hustler

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:29 AM

And in every GTA sice GTA III protagonist was new into town or he just came back from another city after he left some years ago. Except GTA V. And that's fail.

dreadluxx
  • dreadluxx

Ill do it for Mother Russia

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:36 AM

I don't think it matters.

A great story isn't defined by where you start off from, it's the content within.

I think GTA V was lacking.

• Tyla and na89340qv0n34b09q340 like this

GTA19somethin
  • GTA19somethin

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:29 AM

Isn't Niko already an immigrant?

HoleInTheSky
  • HoleInTheSky

Dullard

• Members
  • England

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:25 AM Edited by HoleInTheSky, 18 August 2014 - 02:34 AM.

The immigrant/new face angle makes sense from the protagonist-player perspective. Delving into a role with protagonists who are already established in their setting leads to too much disconnect, hence why I could never fully attach myself to V's three on a serious level. It didn't feel like a journey with a proper beginning, middle or end. Johnny and Lousy were better because their stories intertwined with the original IV, so there was more to it, imo. A guy coming into unfamiliar territory is a good way of introducing players ensuring a more relatable experience through the character's eyes.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:06 AM

Part of the reason why GTA IV is my favourite GTA and Niko is my favourite protagonist is it was interesting to see a critique of America from a foreigner's perspective. I kind of feel it makes more sense to be an outsider in a GTA game rather than a "local".

I actually made a thread on a similar subject about 4 years ago before GTA V was announced asking whether people would rather a local or someone not familiar with the area. Might be an interesting read.

http://gtaforums.com...he-protagonist/

• Cristiano Ronaldo 7 likes this

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Onward towards the light

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:01 AM

I'm going to lean closer toward immigrant since I liked Niko the most, but for the most part I'm fine either way. It's just I connect a little better with the protagonist when the game world is just as strange and new to them as it is to me.

When Niko first stepped off that boat, I felt just as lost as he did in this big new city and that was really cool I thought.
  • Miamivicecity and Andreas like this

PreciousWall
  • PreciousWall

Diva

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

Immigrant protagonist, it gives an "Adventure" sense to me

Severe
  • Severe

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

It's actually an interesting question. Most of the protagonists have been immigrants. Claude was fairly new in time, as established in SA, Tommy was of course new, CJ had been away for a while and was completely new to SF and LV, Niko was new in town. Michael and Trevor were also sorta new in town.

We've had a few natives, CJ to LS, Luis, Johnny and Franklin (Toni and Vic?), but few of them seem to be all that 'connected' to their hometown, I think that could be an interesting avenue to experience, someone who's deeply familiar with the city and 'feels' it, in some way.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

Regarding native protagonists, it would be a welcome shift towards energizing a story around forming an empire by having the lead character already familiar with the city and its denizens and able to jump straight into getting their hands dirty. Someone like Johnny, able to acquire guns and set up low level deals but always seeming like an outsider to an already established underworld.

I'll also argue critical satire isn't exclusive to the perspective of an immigrant. Simply put, I've never met an American who hasn't sh*ttalked their country. You guys love to moan about healthcare, gun laws, Obama, illegals, unemployment, GMOs. If anything, a native could take this satire even further.

Cristiano Ronaldo 7
  • Cristiano Ronaldo 7

• Members
  • India

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:30 PM Edited by Cristiano Ronaldo 7, 19 August 2014 - 12:18 PM.

Being an immigrant ; you actually slowly start learning who are our friends,where particular places are,where are places of buying stuffs ,etc

It helps in discovering different and specifically very beautiful sight seeing places in city.

I still remember how I used to stand by shores just aside the mohawk avenue in Gta IV and that listen to that peaceful sound of birds chirping in the sky and watch the ripple made by water.

I also remember when I sat besides Dimitri in "Master and Molotov" Not knowing whats gonna happen.

Komplettloesung-GTA-4-Dimitri-360x203-78

It was really a very different experience I could never forget.

I lacked in enthusiasm In Gta V in discovering things due to the immigrant being native.He already had friends I didnt knew and I really had to put a lot of pressure to find out how things actually are.So it was Kinda resistive.

So Immigrant Protagonist is more enjoyable to me.

One of main reasons that EFLC was a success was Niko and Roman introduced the city initially in a very detailed fashion and also the episodes were related to with main story.

So love You NIKO BELLIC and ROMAN BELLIC and Whole staff of Gta IV in game and outside who made these game EPIC for me.

Four Forever.

• Miamivicecity likes this

Paul723
  • Paul723

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:58 AM

How about a native protagonist with parents who are immigrants?

Cristiano Ronaldo 7
  • Cristiano Ronaldo 7

• Members
  • India

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

Part of the reason why GTA IV is my favourite GTA and Niko is my favourite protagonist is it was interesting to see a critique of America from a foreigner's perspective. I kind of feel it makes more sense to be an outsider in a GTA game rather than a "local".

I actually made a thread on a similar subject about 4 years ago before GTA V was announced asking whether people would rather a local or someone not familiar with the area. Might be an interesting read.

http://gtaforums.com...he-protagonist/

I totally agree to what u say more than 100%

I sometimes even feel IGN rated Gta IV too less and feel sad abt it

But Love for Gta IV to me is from very deep from my heart and Ratings would never affect it.

The Harwood Bitcher
  • The Harwood Bitcher

f*ck YOU

• BUSTED!
  • Argentina

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

It makes more sense to use an inmigrant
Because you slowly learn at the pace of the character the layout of the city
It felt weird playing as gta v characters (locals all his life/a couple of decades) and not being familiar with the city

Cristiano Ronaldo 7
  • Cristiano Ronaldo 7

• Members
  • India

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

It makes more sense to use an inmigrant
Because you slowly learn at the pace of the character the layout of the city
It felt weird playing as gta v characters (locals all his life/a couple of decades) and not being familiar with the city

Even I think the same way

I appreciate.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

I voted for local because it seems like it'd be kinda scary to become a criminal in a town you're not familiar with at all. I wouldn't open a bakery anywhere except home, definitely not a criminal empire! I mean Liberty City is cool and all, but imagine the terror Niko must have felt being dragged into all that trouble in such a big scary city. :( I like the CJ and Toni route best, where the character's returning to their home city after a long absence, I liked to hear CJ's commentary on his old neighborhood and family friends.

Also the "learning the city" thing seems a lot more like a fridge thinking bonus than something that's required for a game to make sense. It's nice, but there are lots of things your character is expected to know from the get-go and aren't taught, like all the blips on the map, or where exactly street X is.

• Tyla and Zello like this

Luddite
  • Luddite

Ho Rider

• Members

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

Doesn't need to be an international immigrant but an out-of-towner at least.

Didn't make sense in V that the protags don't know what their city-map looks like.
  • LeopardGecko likes this

Cristiano Ronaldo 7
  • Cristiano Ronaldo 7

• Members
  • India

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:49 PM Edited by Cristiano Ronaldo 7, 20 August 2014 - 02:50 PM.

Doesn't need to be an international immigrant but an out-of-towner at least.

Didn't make sense in V that the protags don't know what their city-map looks like.

Yeah pefectly right.

Michael says I am Fisrt time here when in desert and Franklin just doesnt even like being their for long.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users