Photo

GTA 6 Excluded Protagonist

67 replies to this topic
XIantonioIX
  • XIantonioIX

(Ragefull Gamer)

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:12 AM Edited by Andreas, 17 August 2014 - 09:13 AM.

Warning! Do not open the spoiler tag if you haven't completed GTA V yet!

Since Michael And Trevor...

Spoiler

...do you you think this will be the last GTA game they appear in? And do you think Franklin would be added in the next GTA game? I know GTAV just came out and its early to ask but this had me thinking.

Mathew442
  • Mathew442

Trick

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:14 AM

Rockstar doesn't re-use protagonists. Seeing as the ending varies from player to player, I doubt Rockstar will include the main characters in the next GTA installment.

• Budweiser Addict and matajuegos01 like this

SirFiras47
  • SirFiras47

Sarcastic

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

I just think this has nothing to do with the online to be honest, not sure though

And since you know GTAV just came out, why bother with this thread? Just wait like, I don't know, 4 more years? That's when the next GTA speculations will start 

• mariasalvatore and lazyassedlover like this

BondageKitty
  • BondageKitty

Felicia

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:33 AM Edited by BondageKitty, 17 August 2014 - 07:36 AM.

Just don't expect to see them in sequels and any mention of them being extremely vague. Similar to Elder Scrolls and Fallout, I think they like the player choosing the outcome... Minus Johnny.

Even with the 3D and HD being separate canons and universes, it's open for the player to decide what happens to each pprotagonist even cross universe.

ModderX
  • ModderX

#1 90's Car Fan

• Members
  • England

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

I just think this has nothing to do with the online to be honest, not sure though

And since you know GTAV just came out, why bother with this thread? Just wait like, I don't know, 4 more years? That's when the next GTA speculations will start 

Or, how about, y'know, you having actual feedback for once rather than bitching and living up to your member title?

OT: It's unlikely they'd re-use protagonists from one game to another.

Vanto
  • Vanto

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:55 AM Edited by Vanto, 17 August 2014 - 07:55 AM.

The only protagonist that could appear in another game is Franklin, since he

Spoiler

PhoGarrett
  • PhoGarrett

Formally known as dillono

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:09 AM Edited by dillono, 17 August 2014 - 08:09 AM.

The only protagonist that could appear in another game is Franklin, since he

Spoiler

Does make some sense, as Franklin never had any really ambigous pursuits or major conflict in general.

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:14 AM

This should be the last game for Trevor. I don't want to see him returning EVER!!... Not even as a reference/easter egg.

For Michael it's definitely going to be the last of it, for now. I don't know why but I can't imagine Michael returning.
Franklin too, won't return unless San Fierro/Las Venturas are returning.
  • Seenyour31 likes this

Wayne Daniels
  • Wayne Daniels

Cattle Rustler

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:16 AM

No, I can't see Franklin going to Vice City for any reason...

PhoGarrett
  • PhoGarrett

Formally known as dillono

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:34 AM Edited by dillono, 17 August 2014 - 08:46 AM.

Come to think of it, why the hell would he even go there in the first place, anyway? He already has an apartment in Vinewood Hills, and he's fulfilled all his growing ambitions.

kevin de santa
  • kevin de santa

Thug

• BUSTED!
  • Ireland

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

As much as I love the trio I don't want to see them ruined in GTA 6 so its a no from me
  • Trevorphilipjfry likes this

VCR
  • VCR

plus+

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

ot: sig of the year
  • SirFiras47 likes this

PromKing
  • PromKing

Rat

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

Johnny was a main protagonist in GTA4 DLC and he made an appearance, Lester makes reference to Nikko Belic in "there is an Eastern European guy in Liberty City... but he's been quiet lately"

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K
  • S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

Rockstar doesn't re-use protagonists. Seeing as the ending varies from player to player, I doubt Rockstar will include the main characters in the next GTA installment.

Rockstar has also never focused so much on the story. It went to far far greater lengths to develop these characters with far more unique missions, a far better planned plot and story, a far tighter story arc, much more focus on character development related to plot, etc. GTA stories and characters are usually just jokes used as excuses to move you around the map. The stories are always terrible, nonsensical with plot arcs that are all seemingly unconnected and appear out of nowhere based on silly stereotypes and jokes, with the same 2-3 mission types. Missions and story and character development in GTA is usually horrible. GTA V spent exponentially more resources on the story arc, development, and mission quality and pacing than all other GTA games combined.

So past history of GTA characters and story probably isn't a good indicator because if you had used it to predict GTA V, you'd have been very wrong, so using it to predict VI could also be very wrong.

I would have been very surprised to see GTAV about Nike or CJ.

However, I would not be surprised to see VI about Trevor or Michael, or a young Brad, Trevor, and Michael, or Franklin and Lamar, or any other returning cast. I wouldn't bet on it! But I wouldn't be surprised either. Especially young Trevor and Michael.

kevin de santa
  • kevin de santa

Thug

• BUSTED!
  • Ireland

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

Tbh I'm am 99.9 per cent that Michael and Trevor will not be the protagonist in GTA 6

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:38 AM Edited by Phoenix_Shit, 17 August 2014 - 10:38 AM.

Well, it all depends. If GTA VI includes different maps: VC, Southern San Andreas (the one GTA V is set in) Las venturas, San Fierro, Liberty City,  etc etc: then yes we could see atleast a cameo of the characters. With Michael retired from the criminal game doing movies: He could give the protagonists missions to go and assasinate some movie douchebag or something: And with trevor we could do some drug work up in sandy shores and stuff... Franklin, I don't see anything useful with him. And I also think that Option is still canon, because we got that big SP DLC coming some day that will continue their ''adventure' in Southern San Andreas.

Mathew442
  • Mathew442

Trick

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:52 AM Edited by Mathew442, 17 August 2014 - 10:54 AM.

Rockstar has also never focused so much on the story. It went to far far greater lengths to develop these characters with far more unique missions, a far better planned plot and story, a far tighter story arc, much more focus on character development related to plot, etc. GTA stories and characters are usually just jokes used as excuses to move you around the map. The stories are always terrible, nonsensical with plot arcs that are all seemingly unconnected and appear out of nowhere based on silly stereotypes and jokes, with the same 2-3 mission types. Missions and story and character development in GTA is usually horrible. GTA V spent exponentially more resources on the story arc, development, and mission quality and pacing than all other GTA games combined.

So past history of GTA characters and story probably isn't a good indicator because if you had used it to predict GTA V, you'd have been very wrong, so using it to predict VI could also be very wrong.

However, I would not be surprised to see VI about Trevor or Michael, or a young Brad, Trevor, and Michael, or Franklin and Lamar, or any other returning cast. I wouldn't bet on it! But I wouldn't be surprised either. Especially young Trevor and Michael.

You're wrong. Yes, a lot of the plot arcs were silly and a lot of characters based on stereotypes but the characters have always had their place and story. Rockstar is not in the habit of re-using protagonists in the GTA games. Each character (In GTA V's case, 3 characters) has their game. One game for them. That's how it has been. That's how it will always be.

GTA VI will have a different protagonist(s) and while some characters from GTA V may make an appearance, that's where the line is drawn. There may be mention of Michael, Trevor and Franklin but I doubt they will get their own game again.

Although I would certainly love a DLC expansion to GTA V detailing some of the events in the lives of Michael, Trevor and Franklin before we met them in GTA V. Sort of like what Episodes From Liberty City did, expanding on the backstory of GTA IV.

• matajuegos01 likes this

Ezza.
  • Ezza.

It's a Massacromance

• Members
  • Australia
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

OP, you know option C is the canon ending, right?

kevin de santa
  • kevin de santa

Thug

• BUSTED!
  • Ireland

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

Lol there is no such thing as a cannon ending of rock star wanted a real ending they would of done one all 3 ending are plausible. In some universe Michael or Trevor are dead

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K
  • S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

You're wrong. Yes, a lot of the plot arcs were silly and a lot of characters based on stereotypes but the characters have always had their place and story. Rockstar is not in the habit of re-using protagonists in the GTA games. Each character (In GTA V's case, 3 characters) has their game. One game for them. That's how it has been. That's how it will always be.

GTA VI will have a different protagonist(s) and while some characters from GTA V may make an appearance, that's where the line is drawn. There may be mention of Michael, Trevor and Franklin but I doubt they will get their own game again.

Although I would certainly love a DLC expansion to GTA V detailing some of the events in the lives of Michael, Trevor and Franklin before we met them in GTA V. Sort of like what Episodes From Liberty City did, expanding on the backstory of GTA IV.

come now, we both know that if you measure the number of missions related to the main plot, the number of characters genuine relevant to the core plot, the number of unique mission gameplay, and numerous other objective factors such as voice acting hours, time between missions based on travel, number of missions versus side missions or gameplay versus side gameplay related to the main plot, that GTA V has a far far more story-focused and plot-focused production

it's not even comparable... GTA SA or IV's story focus, cumalatively between all 3, is probably less than just 1 GTA V character lol it's by that large of a margin

Rockstar even says this and the the critical metacritic aggregate agrees with it, search any 10 random top reviews and they all explain and support this. or google interviews such as this one http://www.theguardi...to-5-dan-houser where Houser specifically says the narrative and mission design 'goal' was different for GTA IV than SA and VC, and they wanted to do things even more "different" in their narrative approach with GTA V

Houser even said they hoped that GTA V, unlike past GTA games, would really change how 'all games told stories' http://www.polygon.c...ancy-and-future and his brother, he never gives interviews and was known to have massively 'burned out' after GTA IV, suggested to http://playboysfw.kinja.com/criminal-mind-the-reclusive-genius-behind-the-grand-th-1479684025 pretty clearly that he wanted more narrative relevance with GTA V and to really take the series to a new level of storytelling 

they even hired new narrative team members such as cutscene director because they want to take the story narrative focus on GTA much higher in V than past games.  past GTA games basically just had a few people doing sound capture for voice work, for GTA V they did full mo-cap/voice-cap at the same time with a full team of professionals that resulted in far far more story assets than all other GTA games combined. whether this was aided by new technologies doesn't change that once again that it resulted in a vastly different production and narrative approach for GTA V than other other GTA

the script of GTA V was over 1000 pages.... GTA I-IV combined were barely 340

please don't misunderstand objective and subjective elements. this isn't whether or not you like Tommy or CJ or Vercetti better, like metropolitan cities skyscrapers to deserts or forests... it's about an objective measurement in provable qualitative or quantitative ways that show, without a doubt, that the GTA V production of its story and plot, and the missions, took a significantly and notably different approach than past games

i mean, you could have said GTA I-IV has never had such a strong focus on a single plot arc and always has random new irrelevant joke characters with long story orcs as part of the core story, so of course so will V, and you'd be wrong

you could also say GTA I-IV never had multiple protagonists, and you'd be wrong

so you could just as easily be wrong about a returning protagonist.

• Trevorphilipjfry likes this

Mathew442
  • Mathew442

Trick

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:37 AM Edited by Barefoot Tiger, 17 August 2014 - 12:25 PM. Please do not use insults when debating.

come now, we both know that if you measure the number of missions related to the main plot, the number of characters genuine relevant to the core plot, the number of unique mission gameplay, and numerous other objective factors such as voice acting hours, time between missions based on travel, number of missions versus side missions or gameplay versus side gameplay related to the main plot, that GTA V has a far far more story-focused and plot-focused production

it's not even comparable... GTA SA or IV's story focus, cumalatively between all 3, is probably less than just 1 GTA V character lol it's by that large of a margin

Rockstar even says this and the the critical metacritic aggregate agrees with it, search any 10 random top reviews and they all explain and support this. or google interviews such as this one http://www.theguardi...to-5-dan-houser where Houser specifically says the narrative and mission design 'goal' was different for GTA IV than SA and VC, and they wanted to do things even more "different" in their narrative approach with GTA V

Houser even said they hoped that GTA V, unlike past GTA games, would really change how 'all games told stories' http://www.polygon.c...ancy-and-future and his brother, he never gives interviews and was known to have massively 'burned out' after GTA IV, suggested to http://playboysfw.kinja.com/criminal-mind-the-reclusive-genius-behind-the-grand-th-1479684025 pretty clearly that he wanted more narrative relevance with GTA V and to really take the series to a new level of storytelling 

they even hired new narrative team members such as cutscene director because they want to take the story narrative focus on GTA much higher in V than past games.  past GTA games basically just had a few people doing sound capture for voice work, for GTA V they did full mo-cap/voice-cap at the same time with a full team of professionals that resulted in far far more story assets than all other GTA games combined. whether this was aided by new technologies doesn't change that once again that it resulted in a vastly different production and narrative approach for GTA V than other other GTA

the script of GTA V was over 1000 pages.... GTA I-IV combined were barely 340

please don't misunderstand objective and subjective elements. this isn't whether or not you like Tommy or CJ or Vercetti better, like metropolitan cities skyscrapers to deserts or forests... it's about an objective measurement in provable qualitative or quantitative ways that show, without a doubt, that the GTA V production of its story and plot, and the missions, took a significantly and notably different approach than past games

i mean, you could have said GTA I-IV has never had such a strong focus on a single plot arc and always has random new irrelevant joke characters with long story orcs as part of the core story, so of course so will V, and you'd be wrong

you could also say GTA I-IV never had multiple protagonists, and you'd be wrong

so you could just as easily be wrong about a returning protagonist.

I'm flattered that you took the time to write this big wall of text just for me. I read it, and it doesn't prove crap. Yes the storytelling and characters in this installment has been more thought out and such, but it doesn't change the fact that Rockstar DOES NOT RE-USE PROTAGONISTS IN GRAND THEFT AUTO. How many times do I have to state that? Each Grand Theft Auto game has it's own story and protagonist(s), and they do not carry over aside from maybe a cameo. The story in GTA V was wrapped up. GTA VI will feature a new story and a new protagonist.] The writing and plot could be that of a 5 star Ridley Scott film, but it still wouldn't carry over for any more than one game. That is Rockstar's format. ONE GAME PER PROTAGONIST(S) AND STORYLINE. 

• matajuegos01 likes this

Pastry
  • Pastry

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

They don't? Why did Claude appear in GTA San Andreas and V? Or why did Niko appear in V? Or why did Johnny appear in V?

Mathew442
  • Mathew442

Trick

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:44 AM

They don't? Why did Claude appear in GTA San Andreas and V? Or why did Niko appear in V? Or why did Johnny appear in V?

Cameo roles. That's it. They never return as a protagonist after they've had their game. That's the point I've been trying to push.

• matajuegos01 and mariasalvatore like this

Aleph-Zero
  • Aleph-Zero

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:51 AM Edited by Aleph-Zero, 17 August 2014 - 11:52 AM.

Lol there is no such thing as a cannon ending of rock star wanted a real ending they would of done one all 3 ending are plausible. In some universe Michael or Trevor are dead

There is. Roman isn't dead in GTA V, therefore only one of the GTA IV's ending was cannon. Of course we can't know for sure what ending of GTA V is cannon, though it is heavily believed to be C.

• Heists likes this

FIBagent
  • FIBagent

was on CIA but ban quit .

• BUSTED!
  • Bhutan

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

we didn't see niko in gta v , so i don't think so we will see any of gta v assholes in gta 6

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:22 PM

Definitely off topic, but this post is yet another example of the narrow minded stupidity of GTAForum members. They all somehow think they know with 100% certainty that Vice City will be next. It could be SF, or LV, or Boston or GTA: The Moon for all we f*cking know. I can't wait to see the bitching around here if it turns out the next game isn't in Vice City.

On topic: There's a reason why R* gave the players a choice in the ending here. When they know they'll never reuse them as protagonists why just deem one ending canon because everybody else thinks it's the "be all and end all" when it comes to the story in V? If we ever see M or T again it will be in a game based before the events of V (or some type of obviously non-canon UD-esque DLC). Franklin on the other hand we may see again, or we may not. Too early to tell.

Sergiu
  • Sergiu

EQUANOX™

• GTA Mods Staff
  • European-Union
  • Best WIP Mod 2014 [Grand Theft Auto 3D]

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:28 PM Edited by CasualSergiu, 17 August 2014 - 12:31 PM.

They have a chance of returning, here's how Rockstar does it, the most agreed on ending gets to be canon, for example, the revenge ending, 'Out of Commision' in Grand Theft Auto IV, you can clearly notice Roman's still alive in GTA V, due to his cab company still being open. That ending was canon as most fans went with it.

Plus, the deal ending wasn't suitable for Niko's character. Niko wouldn't just get over it and start doing business with the devil all over again.

Grand Theft Auto V's canon ending seems to be 'The Third Way'

Bender
  • Bender

is it christmas avatar time already?

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

if we see M or T again, it will be a sh*tty knockoff game like GTA Advance. Advance was so bad that rockstar confirmed the game was non-canon.

Sergiu
  • Sergiu

EQUANOX™

• GTA Mods Staff
  • European-Union
  • Best WIP Mod 2014 [Grand Theft Auto 3D]

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:30 PM Edited by CasualSergiu, 17 August 2014 - 12:36 PM.

if we see M or T again, it will be a sh*tty knockoff game like GTA Advance. Advance was so bad that rockstar confirmed the game was non-canon.

Off-topic:
Actually, they've never confirmed that. Also, it wasn't really knockoff, it was extremely hard to make.

So yeah, before criticizing, at least play or look deeper into it. You don't know how hard was it to get that game running on Gameboy Advance.

On-topic:

Not really, re-seeing them would be alright as long as the situation actually involves Franklin too. Unlike the way the game treated Franklin in GTA V's main portion of the story. Franklin was pretty much useless, I'm just interested into more of him as he's never been in the spotlight, really.

Maybe he could be a good character, but as of right now, he's still the weakest protagonist in the HD universe, in my opinion, obviously.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

^ GTA advance wasn't even designed by rockstar, it was an outside company.

OT - if Franklin does appear in GTA 6, I hope he burns himself to death ironing clothes.
  • matajuegos01 and Trevorphilipjfry like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users