Real-world version of Stinger GT hits record auction sale, $38 mi

55 replies to this topic
Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:36 PM

And that's exactly what I said, it's a way for people with too much money to have something to spend it on.

And yes, that applies to Van Gogh too, or any other art piece. We give something a certain value, it's not intrinsic to an object. Show Mona Lisa to an average European who knows what it is, and he'll tell you it's worth hundreds of millions. Show it to a villager who survives by farming and isn't exposed to such things, and he'll tell you a sack of potatos is more worthy to him then that painting that he can't do nothing with but maybe use to make a fire to cook his meal on.
So don't take it personally and understand that we as society create certain perceptions, but never forget that it means nothing to people who aren't exposed to the same things we are.

Even hunter gatherers have a sense of beauty and thus of art. Even prehistoric peoples and some animals decorate.  Art is inbedded in human nature. But off course it is also culture relative.

There is no such thing as 'intrinsic value'. All value is subjective to certain individuals. Some people would not value the sack of potatoes or any other food for that matter, because they do not value life. Suicidal people..

If I had the money in my wallet I would buy this classic and paint it blue.

250-gto-1.jpg

Black!

ferrari-250-gto-2.jpg

Why are you even going to bother with him? He doesn't even know what he's talking about.

MichaelW
  • MichaelW

Hello, My Children

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:32 AM

The thing about replicas is this: what would you want to drive? An actual Ferarri? Or something that looks like it? 

• Sting4S likes this

ZZCOOL
  • ZZCOOL

http://www.youtube.com/user/taltigolt

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:36 AM

why not just call it ferrari thought i had missed another remake like the banshee :(

Rollin
  • Rollin

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:43 AM

To everyone who thinks these cars are never driven, you have probably never heard of things like Goodwood FOV, Monterey motorsports reunion, 6 hour Spa classic, Silverstone classic and it goes on.

These cars aren't just driven. They race these against other equally rare cars.

d3s0033.jpg

• Sting4S, gtuned and GtaV Is Coming To Pc like this

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:41 AM

And that's exactly what I said, it's a way for people with too much money to have something to spend it on.

And yes, that applies to Van Gogh too, or any other art piece. We give something a certain value, it's not intrinsic to an object. Show Mona Lisa to an average European who knows what it is, and he'll tell you it's worth hundreds of millions. Show it to a villager who survives by farming and isn't exposed to such things, and he'll tell you a sack of potatos is more worthy to him then that painting that he can't do nothing with but maybe use to make a fire to cook his meal on.
So don't take it personally and understand that we as society create certain perceptions, but never forget that it means nothing to people who aren't exposed to the same things we are.

Even hunter gatherers have a sense of beauty and thus of art. Even prehistoric peoples and some animals decorate.  Art is inbedded in human nature. But off course it is also culture relative.

There is no such thing as 'intrinsic value'. All value is subjective to certain individuals. Some people would not value the sack of potatoes or any other food for that matter, because they do not value life. Suicidal people..

Why are you even going to bother with him? He doesn't even know what he's talking about.

He said exactly what I said, and I fully agree with him when he acknowledged that all value is subjective. This car has subjective value that for SOME people justifies the price of dozens of millions, to ME and some other people that car is worth only it's production cost and nothing more..

So don't get your panties up in flames and learn that other people don't think as highly of some things as you do. To YOU this car is worth the money, to ME it's not. I just stated my opinion that I'd never give that kind of money for a car, you would, fine. But don't argue that this car has intrinsic value and that everyone would give that kind of money for it if we had it, because that's not the case with anything. The value of everything is subjective and based on what some people are willing to pay.

Geeteeaifive
  • Geeteeaifive

Andrew

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:14 PM Edited by Geeteeaifive, 17 August 2014 - 12:14 PM.

Simply don't get why old things cost a a lot when theres already better versions of those things and cheaper.

There's no modern Ferrari out right now that's better than that car, the 19th 250 GTO of only 39 made. If you're not even that crazy about cars then you will never understand so please don't even touch on it. And you're completely oblivious of all of the factors that play a role in the decision of the car's price.

For 39 million you can ask any auto company to make you 5 of those cars. yes i understand. hell u can ask some deadbeat mechanic to built you a body just like it from scrap metal. Custom engine, custom everything, old sh*t is sh*t.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

Only in the V section could such a thread be victim to absurd, ignorant comments. I should've known. But I'm just gonna' let you lot believe what you want to believe, because why should I even care what you think?

• gtaxpert, xenorama, gtuned and 2 others like this

gtuned
  • gtuned

【=◈︿◈=】

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

This thread...

I've never seen so much ignorance and stupidity. But then again, it's coming from the people who probably pronounce Murcielago as Mercy.

• Sting4S and Delta India Echo like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

This thread...

I've never seen so much ignorance and stupidity. But then again, it's coming from the people who probably pronounce Murcielago as Mercy.

Or people who probably don't even know what carbon fiber or aluminum is.

gtaxpert
  • gtaxpert

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:39 PM

$38 MILLION for that peiuce of trash?

rws.gif

I can just buy a replica version of it for like $40,000 instead lol.

Better yet buy a replica lambourghini from a legit seller for like $35,000-$40,000 instead lol

Or I could buy a real saleen s7 for like $500,000 and get way more attention that that peice of trash.

lol1.gif

It is pretty funny how this person calls a legendary automobile a piece of trash, and then says he would buy replicas or a Saleen S7 instead. So he compares replicas and american plastic to an original and legendary piece of art. That's hilarious. This person is either 12, an idiot, a troll, or a combination of these. A replica or a Saleen S7 isn't even a solid investment. They aren't worth sh*t second hand.

• Sting4S likes this

Nick1020
  • Nick1020

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:02 AM Edited by Nick1020, 19 August 2014 - 12:28 AM.

rws.gif

Better yet buy a replica lambourghini from a legit seller for like $35,000-$40,000 instead lol

Or I could buy a real saleen s7 for like $500,000 and get way more attention that that peice of trash.
lol1.gif

It is pretty funny how this person calls a legendary automobile a piece of trash, and then says he would buy replicas or a Saleen S7 instead. So he compares replicas and american plastic to an original and legendary piece of art. That's hilarious. This person is either 12, an idiot, a troll, or a combination of these. A replica or a Saleen S7 isn't even a solid investment. They aren't worth sh*t second hand.
American plastic? Hope Ferrari doesn't BURN on you ;) *bad joke*

But on serious a serious note he's right. Even an Enzo has more value than a S7.

Hakosuka
  • Hakosuka

Trick

• Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:04 PM

rws.gif

lol1.gif

You're an idiot. People laugh at those that drive reps. And to those that actually know something about cars (like myself), that particular Ferrari would grab their attention more than the S7 would. Don't get me wrong, the S7 is a great car but it's nothing compared to a classic Ferrari, especially one with so much history behind it like the 250 GTO. 

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

The Saleen S7 is crap. I don't even know why that dude brought it up.

• gtaxpert and maxpaynefan like this

emelen
  • emelen

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

250-gto-1.jpg

Personally blue is my favorite color for any Ferrari. :^:

Crushed is my favourite colour for any Fail-rrari!! lol.. ;-)

gtaxpert
  • gtaxpert

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:02 AM

LOL, that's a really creative joke for an 11 year old. Well done!

Jesus, these idiots on the v board these days  :sui: Why do I even go here..

• Sting4S likes this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:29 AM

Even for an joke that was lame. Go away.

• maxpaynefan likes this

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

"Time moves forward, and nothing changes"- Max Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:37 AM

250-gto-1.jpg

That Ferrari is a lot better than those stupid ass bugatis and other sports cars.

LanaDelRey888
  • LanaDelRey888

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:38 AM

To be honest, in terms of design, it was more on the Shelby Daytona.

LanaDelRey888
  • LanaDelRey888

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:47 AM

250-gto-1.jpg

Did you know that (well, you don't know) blue was one of the first colors Ferrari ever offered on their cars that wasn't red, kid?

Blue is actually one of the historic Ferrari colors.

Blu Sera, Blu Dino, Blu Scuro, Blu Chiaro, etc.. some are still offered today but with different names, and/or slight redesigns.

hvcciookay
  • hvcciookay

• Members
  • Wallis-And-Futuna

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

This GTO was owned by a Olympic gold Medalist who died at the wheel of it. It's also one of the most wrecked and rebuilt GTOs, so that may have been a reason the bidding skyrocketed. Rarity had a part too of course.

Sir Winthorpe Herrington
  • Sir Winthorpe Herrington

Rachet

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

Simply don't get why old things cost a a lot when theres already better versions of those things and cheaper. I do get that paintings are unique an it's art. But cars and other sh*t? Please.

Lol..these words wreak of peasantry.

• Sting4S and LanaDelRey888 like this

FANTOMTRON
  • FANTOMTRON

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:41 PM

This GTO was owned by a Olympic gold Medalist who died at the wheel of it. It's also one of the most wrecked and rebuilt GTOs, so that may have been a reason the bidding skyrocketed. Rarity had a part too of course.

wouldn't that mean it's cursed and should be given out for free instead then

hlysht.gif

LanaDelRey888
  • LanaDelRey888

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:41 AM

wouldn't that mean it's cursed and should be given out for free instead then
hlysht.gif

If Carroll Shelby died at the wheel of a car, or Steve McQueen, anyone well-known, maybe even a dictator's piece, etc.. then that car would definitely have trememdous historical value.

It's not like some average car driven by the average someone.
  • Sting4S likes this

Zito
  • Zito

RBLiberty

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:06 AM

Great. Let me just buy some more cash cards and I'll be good to go- 

Oh... right...

people would make a hell of a lot of money if they duplicated that car huh lol

richard1997jones
  • richard1997jones

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:37 AM

I bet in a few years time the car will be worth even more.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

I bet in a few years time the car will be worth even more.

Probably in a few decades. And if one of them just so happened to crash or something, I'm sure the price would skyrocket.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users