Real-world version of Stinger GT hits record auction sale, $38 mi

55 replies to this topic
xenorama
  • xenorama

Go Commando!

• Members

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:21 AM

http://www.autoblog....-monterey-2014/

Yep, the gorgeous 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO, which basically IS the Stinger GT, recently sold at auction for $38 million and became the most expensive automotive auction sale in history so far. Apparently some Ferrari people were hoping it would actually go up to $60 million, but at those prices, what's another $22 million? Pocket change.

Some pics of the GTO:

1962%20Ferrari%20250%20GTO_01.jpg

1962_ferrari_250_gto-pic-11675.jpeg

1962_Ferrari_250_GTO-1.jpg

I really love the Stinger GT in GTAV, so this caught my eye the instant I saw the big news.

-xxxeno

• Blingy, Militia and The7thOne like this

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:38 AM Edited by Xerukal, 16 August 2014 - 04:38 AM.

Great. Let me just buy some more cash cards and I'll be good to go- 

Oh... right...

• lol232, Zito, theNGclan and 15 others like this

Nick1020
  • Nick1020

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:43 AM Edited by Nick1020, 16 August 2014 - 04:44 AM.

I think it's crazy how anyone would pay that much for a used race that'll probably never be driven again. Rich people.

Edit: Makes me want to buy another Stinger GT.
  • FANTOMTRON likes this

Biker_J
  • Biker_J

Evil Biker

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:45 AM

Well, I got the in-game version and loved it so much I just had to have the real deal :).

• xenorama likes this

IanE55
  • IanE55

Santa hats? Too mainstream.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Mexico

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:36 AM

I thought the highest was 52 million?

http://jalopnik.com/...illi-1440636875

• xenorama likes this

Geeteeaifive
  • Geeteeaifive

Andrew

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:49 AM Edited by Geeteeaifive, 16 August 2014 - 07:49 AM.

Simply don't get why old things cost a a lot when theres already better versions of those things and cheaper. I do get that paintings are unique an it's art. But cars and other sh*t? Please.

• FANTOMTRON likes this

..GhosT
  • ..GhosT

GTAForums Veteran

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

Sometimes it seems like im the only one who absolutely hates this banana car.
  • emelen, FANTOMTRON and Bozzah like this

James K
  • James K

Motorhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

Simply don't get why old things cost a a lot when theres already better versions of those things and cheaper. I do get that paintings are unique an it's art. But cars and other sh*t? Please.

The looks and the history is priceless and it's got that charm modern cars, even supercars fails to deliver
  • Blingy, Marwin Moody and xenorama like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:48 PM Edited by Sting4S, 16 August 2014 - 01:49 PM.

Simply don't get why old things cost a a lot when theres already better versions of those things and cheaper.

There's no modern Ferrari out right now that's better than that car, the 19th 250 GTO of only 39 made. If you're not even that crazy about cars then you will never understand so please don't even touch on it. And you're completely oblivious of all of the factors that play a role in the decision of the car's price.

• Blingy, Marwin Moody, James K and 7 others like this

Delta India Echo
  • Delta India Echo

f*ck crate drops

• BUSTED!
  • Somalia

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:22 PM

Simply don't get why old things cost a a lot when theres already better versions of those things and cheaper.

There's no modern Ferrari out right now that's better than that car, the 19th 250 GTO of only 39 made. If you're not even that crazy about cars then you will never understand so please don't even touch on it. And you're completely oblivious of all of the factors that play a role in the decision of the car's price.
Well said.

ddyoung
  • ddyoung

Get freaky... Not that freaky

• Members
  • England

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:52 PM

Well there goes any chance of me owning that car...

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

"Time moves forward, and nothing changes"- Max Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

Amazing car, to bad I will never be able to sit in or drive it.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

I dunno' some of the owners of these types of cars are nice enough to take you for a ride in them.

• ///// likes this

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

Really? That much for a piece of metal and plastic?

I understand all about unique cars, and classic cars and why some reach a big price, basically it's a race who wants it more, and those people who buy them are just looking for some way to outshine the other guy by throwing money away, but in the end it's definitely not worth the price.

But, some rich guys got to have fun for a bit, and one of them gets to brag about it I guess.

gtaxpert
  • gtaxpert

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:34 PM

I understand all about unique cars, and classic cars and why some reach a big price, basically it's a race who wants it more, and those people who buy them are just looking for some way to outshine the other guy by throwing money away, but in the end it's definitely not worth the price.

But, some rich guys got to have fun for a bit, and one of them gets to brag about it I guess.

You are like someone looking at a van Gogh saying "really, that much value to a piece of cloth with dried up paint on it"? I also doubt the 250 GTO has any plastic in it.

It's not worth the price for anyone who has to be responsible with their money. For people with a few hundred million or billions who'd need a hundred lifetimes to spend it all it is an investment that is very solid in value. It is worth this kind of money, because it is a piece of art.

• Sting4S likes this

FANTOMTRON
  • FANTOMTRON

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:51 PM

$38 MILLION for that peiuce of trash?

rws.gif

I can just buy a replica version of it for like $40,000 instead lol.

Better yet buy a replica lambourghini from a legit seller for like $35,000-$40,000 instead lol

Or I could buy a real saleen s7 for like $500,000 and get way more attention that that peice of trash.

lol1.gif

xenorama
  • xenorama

Go Commando!

• Members

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

I thought the highest was 52 million?

http://jalopnik.com/...illi-1440636875

Yeah it's a technicality, the one in my topic was the highest automotive auction sale. Your link was a private sale.

Amazingly, the GTO was auctioned at no reserve, it could have potentially sold for a dollar.

• Militia likes this

HDM018
  • HDM018

Superfluous noob.

• Members

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

I so badly wonder what Fantomtron drives. I bet he's one of the few people for who others turn Fierro's and MR2's into cardboard supercars.

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:46 PM Edited by Dope_0110, 16 August 2014 - 05:53 PM.

You are like someone looking at a van Gogh saying "really, that much value to a piece of cloth with dried up paint on it"? I also doubt the 250 GTO has any plastic in it.

It's not worth the price for anyone who has to be responsible with their money. For people with a few hundred million or billions who'd need a hundred lifetimes to spend it all it is an investment that is very solid in value. It is worth this kind of money, because it is a piece of art.

And that's exactly what I said, it's a way for people with too much money to have something to spend it on.

And yes, that applies to Van Gogh too, or any other art piece. We give something a certain value, it's not intrinsic to an object. Show Mona Lisa to an average European who knows what it is, and he'll tell you it's worth hundreds of millions. Show it to a villager who survives by farming and isn't exposed to such things, and he'll tell you a sack of potatos is more worthy to him then that painting that he can't do nothing with but maybe use to make a fire to cook his meal on.
So don't take it personally and understand that we as society create certain perceptions, but never forget that it means nothing to people who aren't exposed to the same things we are.

• Share Sharqi likes this

James K
  • James K

Motorhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:04 PM

rws.gif

Better yet buy a replica lambourghini from a legit seller for like $35,000-$40,000 instead lol

Or I could buy a real saleen s7 for like $500,000 and get way more attention that that peice of trash.
lol1.gif

For some reason i believe that you're either an american, a 12 year old boy, or both
But each to their own
  • gtaxpert likes this

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

rws.gif

lol1.gif

For some reason i believe that you're either an american, a 12 year old boy, or both
But each to their own

Don't put that on Americans. We have good taste. Its the children that don't. 

• Tacymist and gtuned like this

EZza2647
  • EZza2647

The Original Funktopus

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

To those saying "it's just a hunk of metal" or "I could buy a replica for 40k" you just don't understand it.

You're not paying for the car, you're paying for the history. This particular 250 GTO became iconic after achieving success at numerous prestigious races such as Sebring 24 hour race, Daytona. This is probably the reason why the 250 GTO is considered as the most valuable car of all time. Each 250 GTO is different from the next. Each one is unique. 

Not to mention the power, the 250 GTO  produces something like 300 hp and a sound unlike any other car.

• xenorama and Boblel like this

/////
  • /////

German Muscle.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

Do you really think that the replica is as good as the real version of it? Replica's are sh*t.
I'd rather drive a Fiat Panda instead of a replica Lambo or other replica.

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

"Time moves forward, and nothing changes"- Max Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:13 PM

I dunno' some of the owners of these types of cars are nice enough to take you for a ride in them.
If only I knew someone who owns a ford GT. I would live to drive on of those.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:06 PM

The amount of stupidity and ignorance in this thread is killing me. A replica is better than the real thing? The 250 GTO supposedly has plastic? Rich people love to brag about these cars and that's the only reason why they buy them? What next, must I ask?

• Blingy and gtuned like this

gtuned
  • gtuned

【=◈︿◈=】

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:11 PM

Every true car lover is considering killing themselves after reading some of the sh*t in this thread.

but On Topic, the 250GTO isn't really close to a Stinger GT. The shape is too far different to be a 250GTO. The tail lights are, but the rest isn't imo.

• Sting4S likes this

GtaV Is Coming To Pc
  • GtaV Is Coming To Pc

Less Than Two Months Left

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

If I had the money in my wallet I would buy this classic and paint it blue.

250-gto-1.jpg

• Sting4S and xenorama like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

250-gto-1.jpg

Personally blue is my favorite color for any Ferrari. :^:

Wendy Testaburger
  • Wendy Testaburger

South Park, CO

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:11 PM

kk brb rooftop rumble

• IanE55 likes this

gtaxpert
  • gtaxpert

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:19 PM Edited by gtaxpert, 16 August 2014 - 11:27 PM.

And that's exactly what I said, it's a way for people with too much money to have something to spend it on.

And yes, that applies to Van Gogh too, or any other art piece. We give something a certain value, it's not intrinsic to an object. Show Mona Lisa to an average European who knows what it is, and he'll tell you it's worth hundreds of millions. Show it to a villager who survives by farming and isn't exposed to such things, and he'll tell you a sack of potatos is more worthy to him then that painting that he can't do nothing with but maybe use to make a fire to cook his meal on.
So don't take it personally and understand that we as society create certain perceptions, but never forget that it means nothing to people who aren't exposed to the same things we are.

Even hunter gatherers have a sense of beauty and thus of art. Even prehistoric peoples and some animals decorate.  Art is inbedded in human nature. But off course it is also culture relative.

There is no such thing as 'intrinsic value'. All value is subjective to certain individuals. Some people would not value the sack of potatoes or any other food for that matter, because they do not value life. Suicidal people..

250-gto-1.jpg

Black!

ferrari-250-gto-2.jpg

• bobo081093 and xenorama like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users