Quantcast

» «
Photo

Do you think KB/M Helicopter controls will be improved?

23 replies to this topic
The Algerian
  • The Algerian

Peon

• Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

Been playing GTA IV like a month ago, and man were the keyboard/mouse helicopter controls horrible. You had to constantly push your mouse forward like an idiot to bank the nose and keep the acceleration going.

Do you think this will be changed? I'd like to see some Battlefield-like helicopter controls, just push the mouse once and it stays in that position until you decide to pull back.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

I believe you don't need to use the mouse, can use keyboard arrow keys to substitute for mouse when flying the helicopter?

Nick930930
  • Nick930930

the Godfather

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:53 PM

We won't see "battlefield" style helicopter controls because the helicopters in GTA can't be flipped. They are overly simplified so that everyone can enjoy flying them. 

I personally will be sporting an xbox360 controller to play GTAV on my PC. It's designed for controllers so I'll stick with controllers. 

• Lamborghini1335 likes this

The Algerian
  • The Algerian

Peon

• Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:13 PM Edited by The Algerian, 15 August 2014 - 04:13 PM.

I believe you don't need to use the mouse, can use keyboard arrow keys to substitute for mouse when flying the helicopter?

Yeah, but in that case might as well use a gamepad. Which is what I did in GTA IV.

We won't see "battlefield" style helicopter controls because the helicopters in GTA can't be flipped. They are overly simplified so that everyone can enjoy flying them. 

I personally will be sporting an xbox360 controller to play GTAV on my PC. It's designed for controllers so I'll stick with controllers. 

I'll be using a gamepad for the car driving and probably plane piloting.

I  really don't see any actual good reason why anyone would use anything else than a KB/M for the shooting parts, though.

Still waiting to see what kind of helicopter controls were getting, though. Obviously gamepad if it's the same than GTA IV.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:31 PM Edited by Andreas, 15 August 2014 - 05:49 PM.

I have disabled the helicopter mouse controls in IV for this reason. It's difficult to fly with it if you do it with the mouse and it's impractical in multiplayer. I prefer to use keyboard only because I can turn the camera with the mouse without having to turn the helicopter. Another benefit of it is that it allows for more control. Personally, I would be fine if V worked similarly, but it won't be the same since the handling in both games is vastly different compared to each other.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:38 PM

Yeah, but in that case might as well use a gamepad. Which is what I did in GTA IV.

I still use the mouse when driving a vehicle or running on foot. WASD to drive the car and mouse to see where I'm going. Car turns right, I have turn my mouse too, otherwise after I turn, I see the side my car and not straight ahead.

ZZCOOL
  • ZZCOOL

http://www.youtube.com/user/taltigolt

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:44 AM

I have disabled the helicopter mouse controls in IV for this reason. It's difficult to fly with it if you do it with the mouse and it's impractical in multiplayer. I prefer to use keyboard only because I can turn the camera with the mouse without having to turn the helicopter. Another benefit of it is that it allows for more control. Personally, I would be fine if V worked similarly, but it won't be the same since the handling in both games is vastly different compared to each other.

shift lean forward ctrl lean backwards

i have used these controls since san andreas

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:57 AM Edited by Xerukal, 16 August 2014 - 05:01 AM.

Disable helicopter mouse control. 

Left Shift = Ascend/Go Up 

Left CTRL = Descend/Go Down

Q = Rotate left 

E = Rotate right 

W = Fly forwards

A = Fly Left

S = Fly Backwards

D = Fly Right 

I believe I ran with a similar configuration for either Saints Row or Just Cause. It worked perfectly. However, IV's helicopter mechanics don't seem to work as fast or as precise, so it may feel a bit odd. Consider it training for V's flying, I suppose.

GTA V's helicopter handling does seem a lot... lighter? I can't explain it. Helicopters, while they do wobble around a lot (turbulence?) feel much lighter in mass, and they are much more responsive. So I think the above control setup will work just fine.  

Unless Rockstar gives us a better default layout. I doubt they will, though.

The Algerian
  • The Algerian

Peon

• Members

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:40 PM Edited by The Algerian, 16 August 2014 - 12:40 PM.

I still use the mouse when driving a vehicle or running on foot. WASD to drive the car and mouse to see where I'm going. Car turns right, I have turn my mouse too, otherwise after I turn, I see the side my car and not straight ahead.

Yeah, I did use the KB/mouse for the driving sometimes,especially when you have to shoot and drive.

And being  yes, being able to look around so seamlessly is a definite great advantage.

Still, the actual steering is a bit imprecise.

Unless Rockstar gives us a better default layout. I doubt they will, though.

Heh, if they don't I'll stick to my usual "pick up/drop controller when entering/exiting a vehicle".

Works pretty nice, all you need to do is push your keyboard a bit further towards the screen to allow some space for the controller to rest when you drop it.

Choteron
  • Choteron

Unfreeze me the 27 of January

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:24 AM

Disable helicopter mouse control. 

Q = Rotate left 

E = Rotate right 

W = Fly forwards

A = Fly Left

S = Fly Backwards

D = Fly Right 

I try this in IV and works perfect.

Thanks men

Nick930930
  • Nick930930

the Godfather

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:14 PM

I  really don't see any actual good reason why anyone would use anything else than a KB/M for the shooting parts, though.

Still waiting to see what kind of helicopter controls were getting, though. Obviously gamepad if it's the same than GTA IV.

I will be using a controller purely for the comfort of it. Leaning over a keyboard looking at a monitor isn't my cup of tea. I would much rather sit back in bed and play on my bigscreen :) 

Plus the shooting in GTAV is pretty easy thanks to the auto-aim (which will no doubt return for the PC version). 

The Algerian
  • The Algerian

Peon

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

I will be using a controller purely for the comfort of it. Leaning over a keyboard looking at a monitor isn't my cup of tea. I would much rather sit back in bed and play on my bigscreen :)

Plus the shooting in GTAV is pretty easy thanks to the auto-aim (which will no doubt return for the PC version). 

Nobody said anything about "leaning over", though.

I'm pretty comfortable laid back on my desktop armchair, with my left arm extended toward the keyboard pushed back to leave room for the controller to rest when not used.

Spoiler

• Xerukal likes this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Lt Phill Bellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:46 AM

I think my combo of KB/M and Xbox360 controller should suffice.

Cheers.

lol232
  • lol232

The Hardwood Butcher

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:08 AM Edited by lol232, 23 August 2014 - 10:08 AM.

I had no issues with flying the helicopter on the PC version of IV, but yes, I do prefer using a controller.

_CP_
  • _CP_

Group: Vice City Stories team

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland
  • Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

Am I the only one guy in whole world who use NUM9/6 to these actions?

Evan-KCR
  • Evan-KCR

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

That would f*ck up the trainer settings.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:06 PM Edited by Xerukal, 23 August 2014 - 01:06 PM.

I dunno. I guess it depends. Whatever feels natural is the way to go, really. 

The control scheme I listed feels great for me, the same might be the case for other people who end up trying it out. If not, that's fine. 

gta.bullet
  • gta.bullet

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

isnt default setting num8 and num2?

Coolstream
  • Coolstream

It's the Quenchiest!

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

I really enjoy the BF4 controls, it would be a dream to be able to fly like that in GTA V, but they have to simplify everything so people don't go straight into the ground as soon as they take off. Anyone else having really big difficulties controlling where to aim with helicopters? The newest San Andreas flight school mission was nearly impossible for me.

Phorkz
  • Phorkz

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

I really enjoy the BF4 controls, it would be a dream to be able to fly like that in GTA V, but they have to simplify everything so people don't go straight into the ground as soon as they take off. Anyone else having really big difficulties controlling where to aim with helicopters? The newest San Andreas flight school mission was nearly impossible for me.

I had some trouble getting gold yeah. Then I realised you can skip some of the harder targets and focus on the easier ones

The Algerian
  • The Algerian

Peon

• Members

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:54 PM Edited by The Algerian, 24 August 2014 - 12:55 PM.

As far as KB/M is concerned, I find Battlefield control to be much more intuitive.

Hell, even with a gamepad, DICE have at least adapted the controls to fit better.

But in GTA IV, no, "Just port the  gamepad controls to keyboard and be done with it."

Hopefully with V not being a mere port, we can expect better.

FugetSudo
  • FugetSudo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago

I use keyboard for the helis

not a huge fan of the default PC controls (WASD), I use ASDF and the arrow-keys for the controls and Num0 and space bar for weapons when flying

gawel72
  • gawel72

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago

Flying heli in GTA V is terrible. Heli swings so much. If it worked like in BF 4 i would be very happy.

• Agathodaemon likes this

FeedMeCheese
  • FeedMeCheese

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by FeedMeCheese, 3 weeks ago.

I think Rockstar should take a leaf out of Battlefield's book when it comes to helicopter and plane controls with a keyboard and mouse. That is, Mouse Y Axis controls helicopter pitch, Mouse X axis controls yaw, A and D control roll and W and S control elavation. Or at least give us the option to remap these in the options, as everyone has their own preferences for controls.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users