What Is Your World-View?

16 replies to this topic
Killbook
  • Killbook

TheBlackWalker. A Certified Killbook.

• Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:26 AM

How Do We Know What We Know?

Information displayed upon us, facts, are dated back into the begging of time. When an event occurs, and it is recorded by an individual, either written or some relayed to other humans or, in today's day in age, recorded or captured with a camera. When we open a text book in U.S. History class and are greeted with all this information on the historical events that happened in america since it was established, who is to say that these events really occurred? What we read is information that is relayed to or recorded by someone. Someone witnessed the event and put into their own words what happened. Think of it this way. What we know is like what we know from the game "Telephone". Certain key information can be left out or certain things could have not been recorded or even mis-interpreted. What was know is just the word from who or what we define as from the horse's mouth. There is no actual proof of past events and there is no such thing as a reliable source. What we know can just be a figment of someone's imagination made to believe it is something that actually happened. What we know could just be what the people telling us what we know want us to know. If you want to find the answer to the questions that, in sight, are all unanswerable, you would have to get it from a source that isn't human. Humans are liars and are highly credited unreliable source. We know what we want to believe is the right information, we believe what we want to, we hear what we want to, we see what we want to. We all experience differently and so no information is reliable unless we all see it from the eyes of the person relaying the information. If you want to know how we know what we know, you have to ask yourself these questions. What counts as "proof"? What does it mean to be accurate? How do you know the information is true? How can you tell the difference between a lie and the truth?

How Do You Know What's Real And What's Not?

When we look at something, how can we tell the difference to weather it's real or fake? Looking at this computer screen, in your mind, you are saying the computer screen and the computer is real. But why do you think it's real? 

Where Did Everything Come From: People, Earth, The Universe?

Where did everything come from? There have been many speculations on this topic but how can we tell which one of the speculations are true? We can't. Just like my view on Epistemology (How do we know what we know?), we don't have solid fact or aren't a credible source to answer these type of questions. Everything we believe is of our own beliefs. Many people don't want to think on this topic because it's too deep to go into and so instead they settle with a complex but simple answer such as the belief that everything was created by what they define as "God". I personally myself can not answer this question but honestly, who can? Every answer only leads to another question. I fear that if we were to reach the final answer to this infinite question question, it would be through death. Did we just appear on earth or where we placed here? Who created or where did the first female and male come from to start reproducing and creating other humans? When they were here, how did they know what to do? How did they know how to reproduce? I personally believe the life we live in now is just a recreation of a previous life. But how has that previous life come to be? When we die, where do we go? Do our souls go to meet our creator, or is it reincarnated into another living thing? If that's the case, where did our souls first come from? No matter what I answer, there are always a thousand more questions that come with it. The truth is, I know just as much as you about where we all came from. If we truly want to answer this question, it would have to be from our fantasy. And if it's from our fantasy, that would prove that we wouldn't be a reliable source because it is all just assumption on what really happened without any hard-fact proof because it's from our fantasy.

Why Are We Here?

We may not know where we came from but can we say why we were created and why we are here? Well, that all depends on what we believe. I believe the life we live in is just a sandbox for our souls to experiment in. When we die, our souls reincarnate into something else and acts as a prop for other souls to use in this sandbox of a world. But, like many other things, my theory has many questions and the answer to those questions have even more questions. So why are we here? Why was everything created? Though, it may seem like I am asking alot of questions but sometimes, to find the answer, we must ask questions. You couldn't argue that we are here to live in "peace" "love" or "harmony" because obviously that's not the case. With so much violence, it seems like an impossible reason. But then again, how do we define those words? Those words are defined by what the general mass thinks is the correct definition or term but how do we personally view it? What does it mean to live in "peace"? Peace for some people is silence and being content. Peace for other people is not being upset. The definition varies based on the person. When I think of peace, I think of that movie scene where the character is on the hammock outside, swinging back and forth. The weather is warm with a cool breeze. Their eyes are drooped low and there is a smirk on their face. In their heart, there is no darkness or sadness or negative emotions. The person is content with life and there is not a single bad thing going on in their life right now to the point where if they died, they would not be unsatisfied. It's quiet and they are just in deep thought. That's what I think peace is. That's why I think we are here, to achieve that. Obviously, not everyone would agree that we all need to be all that to achieve what is peace which proves my point that the question varies for different people. I believe that we are here to achieve that goal and we are just having a hard time achieving it. I believe that is why we are here, to make life rival the life in what we imagine heaven is like. Where everyone is content and peaceful like the scene I described. But that is my belief, what is yours? 

Is There A God And What Does He/She/It Do?

Like I said before, every word may defined differently depending on the person. What is a "God"? Who is "God"? In Christianity and other monotheistic religions it means the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being. In certain other religions it means a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity. If you want to question the existence of god, you have to say which one you mean as throughout the world, there are many different gods according to different religions. The truth is, we can never understand what god is. God is infinite. Someone once asked, "Can you imagine a never-ending conscience?" Basically, god is that in the Christian's view. Try imagine you being god, wouldn't you tire from it? Having to constantly remain god for eternity. Sure, for a few thousands of years you could do what you want and have fun but, sooner or later you would get tired of it. Before you question the existence of god, can you comprehend the word "eternity"?  Can you think of how long eternity is? If there was a god, could you imagine one being him for all of eternity? I believe the concept of God as we often define it (All powerful, omniscient, potent, present, etc.) simply cannot exist. But on the topic of the very creation of the universe, we have no idea. There's no reason that the universe could have been created by a gifted child that has yet to be born, but we simply have no idea. The idea of god represented to humans are books that humans wrote proclaiming they can help you find salvation through them in what/who they make you think is god. "The truth is, no one know god. Your god is as relevant to you as your place of birth." "People make god. That's what religion is. The collected things that people have been made to believe a certain thing." So, in my eyes, no, there is no god. I can't believe something exist's without proof. There are alot of different religions with very detailed descriptions to salvation, begging all men and women to listen and follow their way. Look at the earth, and look at the sun. You can tell something created it and whatever or whoever did is truly a genius, but we can not say that is god who created it. It's like with heaven. When we imagine heaven, we imagine a perfect world. But that perfect world is different for each person. Heaven, like god, is just what we fantasize through the words that religion is cramming down our throat. Many people may argue that he is real and that it's not their imagination but a true representation, written by a human in the holy bible, of what god and heaven is but like I said before, humans are credited to be highly unreliable sources of information. God relayed everything to one human? That's like god and the human playing telephone. A lot of people, nonetheless, will believe it though, but I am the least surprised. I mean, people are still going around still thinking that Tupac or Micheal Jackson is alive or that the world is going to end in 2012 or that the Mayans are all knowing. If there was a such thing as god, why would he create us to not defy his existence and not show himself to disprove all theories? God punishes us for violence and sinful actions such as murder but yet, he makes them possible to be committed. He created us, he should know not everyone has perfect self control, especially with diseases like schizophrenia. He punishes us for us using the things that he created. If there is a such thing as a god, then god is not god, but the devil disguised as god. I mean, he choose to talk to Adam and Eve but wont even come out and tell us one time that he is real and what is our purpose. In my mind, everything I say makes perfect sense. If god isn't real, then that would mean that prayers aren't worth a cent and I could just make up what my purpose is. "What if Jesus was a facade? Then that would mean the government's god. I feel like they been brainwashing us with a lot. So much that we don't even notice that we're stuck in the box." The realization that there are many questions surrounding life and death can bother most people. I find myself questioning everything, because they’re are lots we humans don’t know in life, and less in death. But to believe there is a god, you are committing to his ways for salvation but, its your life? You should live it the way you please and have fun. Don't put your own pleasure aside for an afterlife that isn't guaranteed. Your life is all you have and heaven is all in your brain. It seems everytime I think of this topic, my thoughts change on it due to many different people's outlook on this topic. Many of the things I said are referenced to something someone else said actually.

How Do You Tell What's Right And Wrong And Who's To Say?

This is a really simple answer I have. I personally believe that what's right is whatever does not harm another being and what's wrong is whatever does. 

This is my worldview, I am interested in hearing yours. Please, don't be afraid to answer these bolded questions with your own answers.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

I shall revoke the throne, atop the stellar tree

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:27 AM

Moved to D&D.

PinkRibbonScars
  • PinkRibbonScars

Also known as happpy11

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

1. We know what we know based on evidence(ex:historical artifacts) stuff that has been proven by science(ex:carbon dating). As you can see( or should I say read?), I rely on science for most things( it's what I learned in school anyway.)

2. As for what I perceive as real, I base that on logic and things that I already know.

3. As for where we came from, I think we're all part of the universe that we live in. One of my teachers told me that in a way we're essentially stardust.As for why we're here: I think that's for us to decide,to make our own purpose.

(text change, I had to switch from phone to pc)
4. As for a "god". I don't believe in one and I don't think one exists. The idea of a god seems illogical to me and it feels like a human made concept, there's definitive description for one. I don't feel there's a place or need for a god in the universe/reality. Personality, I think it would be better if one didn't exist at all. I also don't believe in the afterlife. My science teacher once told me that were made of recycled parts, her also told me that the water which we use today is same water from millions of years ago.

5.  Society decides what's right and what's wrong but in reality good and evil does not exist. Nothing is meaningful unless we give it meaning.
  • Killbook likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

this is just several different, ongoing debate topics rolled into one.

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

Is it just me or is everything sh*t?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None
  • Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Bloody Ungrateful 2016

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

I'm a nihilist. It's pretty exhausting.

tumblr_lzopoo3q8T1qaipr7.jpg

• PinkRibbonScars likes this

PinkRibbonScars
  • PinkRibbonScars

Also known as happpy11

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:47 PM

I'd say I'm like that too, but to a certain degree.

eroch
  • eroch

Self-Absorbed

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:18 PM

In regards to a supreme being, I think both theists and atheists are the two extremes. To be theist means that you are 100% sure that a god exists, but is that any more ridiculous than being 100% sure no supreme being anywhere exists, especially when nearly nothing has ever been discovered on a universal scale? 

• Killbook likes this

PinkRibbonScars
  • PinkRibbonScars

Also known as happpy11

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:40 PM

In regards to a supreme being, I think both theists and atheists are the two extremes. To be theist means that you are 100% sure that a god exists, but is that any more ridiculous than being 100% sure no supreme being anywhere exists, especially when nearly nothing has ever been discovered on a universal scale? 

I think you might be misinformed. There are different kinds of atheist and theists(look gnostic,agnostic, ignostic). I think as long as you don't make the claim that a god doesn't or does exist then the burden of truth does not lay down on you.

eroch
  • eroch

Self-Absorbed

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

I think you might be misinformed. There are different kinds of atheist and theists(look gnostic,agnostic, ignostic). I think as long as you don't make the claim that a god doesn't or does exist then the burden of truth does not lay down on you.

Agnosticism is not atheism or theism. It is simply not being sure of any existence or not. Ignosticism is very similar to agnosticism and is not close to either atheism or theism. Gnosticism is actually close to nontheism and theism. 

The burden of truth shouldn't belong to anybody because as of now it is humanly impossible to prove the existence of a god/gods, or that a god/gods does not exist in some form. I'm not saying anything relating to mainstream religions, i'm simply saying that it's too early to make the call.

PinkRibbonScars
  • PinkRibbonScars

Also known as happpy11

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:47 PM

Agnosticism is not atheism or theism. It is simply not being sure of any existence or not. Ignosticism is very similar to agnosticism and is not close to either atheism or theism. Gnosticism is actually close to nontheism and theism. 

The burden of truth shouldn't belong to anybody because as of now it is humanly impossible to prove the existence of a god/gods, or that a god/gods does not exist in some form. I'm not saying anything relating to mainstream religions, i'm simply saying that it's too early to make the call.
Hmm. I get what you're saying.I'd consider myself to be an atheist, I don't believe in a god,supernatural forces, or divine entities. I think a lot of people have a different definition of atheism, here's mine: lacking the belief in a god. I also think that a lot of atheist can be extremely arrogant but I also think that many religious theists can be pretty hypocritical.
  • eroch likes this

Killbook
  • Killbook

• Members

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:30 AM

1. We know what we know based on evidence(ex:historical artifacts) stuff that has been proven by science(ex:carbon dating). As you can see( or should I say read?), I rely on science for most things( it's what I learned in school anyway.)

2. As for what I perceive as real, I base that on logic and things that I already know.

3. As for where we came from, I think we're all part of the universe that we live in. One of my teachers told me that in a way we're essentially stardust.As for why we're here: I think that's for us to decide,to make our own purpose.

(text change, I had to switch from phone to pc)
4. As for a "god". I don't believe in one and I don't think one exists. The idea of a god seems illogical to me and it feels like a human made concept, there's definitive description for one. I don't feel there's a place or need for a god in the universe/reality. Personality, I think it would be better if one didn't exist at all. I also don't believe in the afterlife. My science teacher once told me that were made of recycled parts, her also told me that the water which we use today is same water from millions of years ago.

5.  Society decides what's right and what's wrong but in reality good and evil does not exist. Nothing is meaningful unless we give it meaning.

That's what I think. That we are simply just recycled parts for the next life. We die and we are re-born as a prop for other souls to use in their life until we exceed our usage. Though, I believe god and religion SHOULD exist. Atleast, the idea. If you think about it, the idea of god and religion does more good than bad. The faith people put in god convinces them to do anything for salvation. The idea of sin and how you need to be rid of it to go to heaven influences the youth, the next generation, and even the past generation to rid of their wrongful ways and do everything as if they were being watched by god. They simply don't want to sin and complete good deeds so they could gain their salvation. It makes life much more peaceful. Church is where they go to be together. Honestly, without religion and god, we couldn't bond and come together and communicate on the level we do. Religion brings us together along with peace, love, and harmony under the fixation that there is a good. I fear what the world would be like without religion. 

I looked up the definition but can you still explain what nihilist means? 

Killbook
  • Killbook

• Members

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:43 AM

Moved to D&D.

Could I get your world view, sivispacem?

Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:20 PM Edited by Cyper, 29 September 2014 - 04:21 PM.

To settle such a discussion you would first have to start off to make the definitions clear from the beginning. 

What do you mean with ''true''? What do you mean with ''proof''? What do you mean with ''fact''?

Failure
  • Failure

Gone for now.

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:38 PM Edited by Failure, 29 September 2014 - 07:17 PM.

I would, but what's the point? 

Religion chat: We might lament the misuse of religion today by the abhorrent terrorist groups that beset the Middle East, but this represents the very worst possible use of religion. Religion is not inherently evil. Religion can give people a sense of hope and meaning. A cynical person (such as I) could argue that this sense is born of ignorance, but what of it? Judaic principles also form the basis of Western morality, so we can't deny how profoundly religion has influenced, and continues to influence, humans in the West. There are two primary problems I see with religion. The first is the idea of being "tested by God". The problem is that this notion is at odds with chaotic nature of the universe. if a God-fearing man falls were to hurt himself, his faith might be beneficial in the recovery process ("God shall heal my wounds for I am devout", or whatever). However, if the same man were to come home one evening to find his family murdered, I doubt that he would be so understanding; I highly doubt that a typical person could be as stalwart in their belief as Job or Abraham in such a circumstance. In such a circumstance, believing in God might be worse than having no faith at all, for the latter stance provides closure in the random, non-preferential nature of the universe, whereas the former stance only begs more questions (why would God punish a man who worships him and observes his laws?).

Ultimately I'd say that religion works well in day to day dealings. Wholesome religious communities can function exceedingly well--religion was one of the few constants in life in the Shtetls in Eastern Europe, where life flourished under the spectre of pogroms. However, many religions do possess the capacity to be grossly misused. However, I wouldn't blame the religion itself for this. Sure, certain religions are much more predisposed to violent misuse than others, but ultimately it's those who profess to speak for God that are to be blamed when things go wrong.

Finally, whilst I think it's fine to raise kids in a religious household (as long as the atmosphere is not repressive, i.e, at the expense of their human rights as in hardline Islamic households, forced FGM, etc) they shouldn't be forced to keep to their parents' faith once they are old enough to decide on which philosophy suits them best. Moderation is the key, really. 

eroch
  • eroch

Self-Absorbed

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:50 PM

More content coming--will edit. 

Heh.

More importantly, and this is replying to Killbrook now, a Nihilist is basically someone who thinks there is no purpose. Not in a depressed way, they just deny the importance of anything. No purpose to life, no purpose to anything in life. Nihilists would be anarchists, but to be anarchists means you think there is a point. It's intrinsically impossible to be a real nihilist if you admit to being a nihilist. Kinda like the Voter Apathy Party from Futurama, if you've ever seen that episode.

Tyler
  • Tyler

tempora labuntur

• None
  • Best Poem 2014
    Best Story 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:31 PM

Nihilism is misconstrued so much in the world. I think that's partly due to Nietzsche being an esoteric read in his more poignant works and so it's easy to misread his intentions or how he saw the world. I'd go so far as to say he's one of the most misunderstood philosophers out there, though. The concept of nihilism as seen by Nietzsche was simply a shedding of Western values (the concept of gods, truth, morals, values, virtues) in an attempt to transition to what would eventually be the Übermensch or, the goal for humanity and all individuals (which is also a concept that most people don't get into because of its adoption and subsequent explitation by the Nazi Party in Germany). To make a (very, very) long story short: nihilism is a transitory phase, and not meant to be seen as a definitive stance or life-view. If anything it's the erosion of traditional societal values in hopes of rising above the expectations of historical societies as seen by Nietzsche, to both accept our scientific and artistic sides and live (most importantly) in an authentic way with our selves.

• Doc Rikowski and Panz like this

Killbook
  • Killbook

• Members

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:33 AM

Religion chat: We might lament the misuse of religion today by the abhorrent terrorist groups that beset the Middle East, but this represents the very worst possible use of religion. Religion is not inherently evil. Religion can give people a sense of hope and meaning. A cynical person (such as I) could argue that this sense is born of ignorance, but what of it? Judaic principles also form the basis of Western morality, so we can't deny how profoundly religion has influenced, and continues to influence, humans in the West. There are two primary problems I see with religion. The first is the idea of being "tested by God". The problem is that this notion is at odds with chaotic nature of the universe. if a God-fearing man falls were to hurt himself, his faith might be beneficial in the recovery process ("God shall heal my wounds for I am devout", or whatever). However, if the same man were to come home one evening to find his family murdered, I doubt that he would be so understanding; I highly doubt that a typical person could be as stalwart in their belief as Job or Abraham in such a circumstance. In such a circumstance, believing in God might be worse than having no faith at all, for the latter stance provides closure in the random, non-preferential nature of the universe, whereas the former stance only begs more questions (why would God punish a man who worships him and observes his laws?).

Ultimately I'd say that religion works well in day to day dealings. Wholesome religious communities can function exceedingly well--religion was one of the few constants in life in the Shtetls in Eastern Europe, where life flourished under the spectre of pogroms. However, many religions do possess the capacity to be grossly misused. However, I wouldn't blame the religion itself for this. Sure, certain religions are much more predisposed to violent misuse than others, but ultimately it's those who profess to speak for God that are to be blamed when things go wrong.

Finally, whilst I think it's fine to raise kids in a religious household (as long as the atmosphere is not repressive, i.e, at the expense of their human rights as in hardline Islamic households, forced FGM, etc) they shouldn't be forced to keep to their parents' faith once they are old enough to decide on which philosophy suits them best. Moderation is the key, really. 

I agree. I may not believe in religion nor support it's concept, I appreciate it. If we didn't have religion, imagine where the world would be. Religion brings people and communities together. Religion puts faith and happiness in peoples hearts and souls. It gives them something to strive for. But, religion is just like love. Love does all the things that religion does to a person. You can love something, god or human or thing, but once that is taken away and your love is broken, emotions rise up and you become unstable and go against what you stood for before. If you accept religion or love as your path in life, you are simply asking to be cursed by it. You are signing your soul over but not to the devil, nor god, but, to a person who claims to be the speaker of god(s) and you follow that persons path. In short, you aren't devoting your life to god, you are devoting it to a person who claims to be in higher relations to him.

More content coming--will edit. 

Heh.

More importantly, and this is replying to Killbrook now, a Nihilist is basically someone who thinks there is no purpose. Not in a depressed way, they just deny the importance of anything. No purpose to life, no purpose to anything in life. Nihilists would be anarchists, but to be anarchists means you think there is a point. It's intrinsically impossible to be a real nihilist if you admit to being a nihilist. Kinda like the Voter Apathy Party from Futurama, if you've ever seen that episode.

So, does my sandbox theory mean that I am a nihilist? But alas, I have not seen that episode. 

Nihilism is misconstrued so much in the world. I think that's partly due to Nietzsche being an esoteric read in his more poignant works and so it's easy to misread his intentions or how he saw the world. I'd go so far as to say he's one of the most misunderstood philosophers out there, though. The concept of nihilism as seen by Nietzsche was simply a shedding of Western values (the concept of gods, truth, morals, values, virtues) in an attempt to transition to what would eventually be the Übermensch or, the goal for humanity and all individuals (which is also a concept that most people don't get into because of its adoption and subsequent explitation by the Nazi Party in Germany). To make a (very, very) long story short: nihilism is a transitory phase, and not meant to be seen as a definitive stance or life-view. If anything it's the erosion of traditional societal values in hopes of rising above the expectations of historical societies as seen by Nietzsche, to both accept our scientific and artistic sides and live (most importantly) in an authentic way with our selves.

So Nihilism is not how you view the world or a life path to take but, a word that takes part in something to gain meaning and a sense of purpose to life? 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users