Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:11 PM

Found this via Reddit, apparently it's the "uncensored" video, compared to what the mainstream version is. One Redditor says "This video was significantly changed for the UK release. The original video had war time footage in it, but because the UK was a combatant in Desert Storm at the time, British broadcasting laws required them to replace the military video portion with folk dancing instead."

I like this variant way more, honestly. The juggling clown @ 3:07 is amazing.

Queen
  • Queen

Andolini Mafia Family

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:13 AM Edited by Queen, 18 July 2016 - 07:27 AM.

I like it better too. It's a very interesting music video, and the song itself harks back to Queen's classic years (1970 - 1976). It's unfortunate that the song never translated well after it was at the top of the charts...face it, it's not as accessible and timeless as Bohemian Rhapsody. When's the last time we heard it on the radio? I mean, I can't speak for the UK, but my gut tells me that it's not regarded as highly as tracks like Who Wants to Live Forever and Radio Ga Ga. Doesn't mean it's a bad song, it's just I find it funny that a song that was so popular in the day is hardly recognized anymore. I've never talked to a casual Queen fan who said "Oh yeah, I know that track! What a cool song!" Instead, I get, "huh, what?" 

Not to say the song isn't great though. When I first listened to Innuendo that drum roll and the punchy-ness of the guitars immediately grabbed my attention. I thought Freddie sounded so menacing on that track...and the mood changes were very interesting, not to mention engaging. Brilliant track. As I understand it, the hype for that track was real...I remember watching an interview with Brian or Roger. One of them said there were certainly parallels to Bo Rhap, and that it was a real risk to release it as a single. After all, the song is about 40 seconds longer than Bo Rhap.

I wish Queen would have done more stuff like that toward the end of their career. It was a very welcoming return to classic Queen. They had more balls.

Here's an interesting documentary. In the beginning, Roger explains how the band is returning to form...more depth and texture to the album...and less poppy.

• Alchemist and Sweet Bellic like this

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

Get Schooled

• Zaibatsu
  • Italy
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:43 AM

Queen has a lot of great list of "radio worthy" tracks, it's just a shame that nobody plays them.. it's obviously all the mainstream stuff.. Bohemian Rhapsody, We Are The Champions, We Will Rock You, etc. Those tracks are great, but it doesn't define them completely. Back in the days when they were releasing new work, did they still play the same mainstream songs, or did the stations experiment more and branch out? I always wondered that. You particularly may not be able to answer, but I'm just clearing some thoughts :p

That's exactly what reeled me in. It had that deep, dramatic tone.. something that's quite pleasing. The Innuendo track reminds me a lot of Kashmir, by Led Zeppelin.. I'm sure you're aware of it. Not in the sense of it sounding particularly similar, but because it also has that deep and dramatic tone. The vocals are pretty similar at some parts, too. I refer to these songs as more than just "tracks", they're literally works of art. 

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Andolini Mafia Family

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:30 AM Edited by Queen, 18 July 2016 - 06:31 AM.

They're more than works of art. They're straight up masterpieces.

Anyway, good question. I imagine that certain songs like Save Me, Now I'm Here, and Seven Seas of Rhye (all of which were hits) got airtime, but as they say, it's survival of the fittest. We don't hear them on mainstream radio anymore -- certain songs just have better longevity. My father told me that radio stations in the 70s were more likely to play full albums on the radio. Crazy right? So yeah, some radio stations weren't afraid to branch out and experiment.

I'm pretty sure Kashmir was a direct inspiration for the track. Also, I think another inspiration for Innuendo was Bolero...that drum beat in the A section is definitely bolero-esque.

gfen
  • gfen

VIVID SEED BOX

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:10 PM

Queen
  • Queen

Andolini Mafia Family

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:28 PM Edited by Queen, 19 July 2016 - 02:28 PM.

Yeah, I saw it last night, gfen. Trump also used We Are the Champions at his rallies, and here is what Brian May had to say about it then:

"This is not an official Queen statement, but I can confirm that permission to use the track was neither sought nor given. We are taking advice on what steps we can take to ensure this use does not continue. Regardless of our views on Mr. Trump's platform, it has always been against our policy to allow Queen music to be used as a political campaigning tool."

He also said:

"I will make sure we take what steps we can to dissociate ourselves from Donald Trump's unsavoury campaign."

It pisses me off that Trump didn't listen -- though given his personality I kind of knew he wouldn't give a f*ck. I just didn't expect him to be so blatant about it -- it's like chucking the finger at my favorite band.

Asshole.

:p

• gfen likes this

gfen
  • gfen

VIVID SEED BOX

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:49 PM

Without turning this into a debate none of us care to have, I find the idea of artists restricting their songs like this to be annoying and tiresome. It's one thing when it's paid ads (the GM ad featuring the Who's Eminence Front is pretty funny when you know the words), but as far as I'm concerned using a song at an event like this qualifies for fair use.

On the other hand, in a world where ASCAAP charges a bar owner for a license just to play a jukebox or hire a coverband, I'm not surprised that artists except that level of control from their music. It's kinda crazy.

In the end, none of that has any bearing on this topic, but when I saw Trump walking out to that I immediately thought of you and the amusing way in which I assume your face twists to show disgust at it.

Frankly, it was a pretty good entrance if you don't get hung up on the political side of things. I assume Hilary arrives in a cloud of brimstone while Night on Bald Mountain plays. ;)

Johnson/Weld or Stein/Hippie 2016!

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Andolini Mafia Family

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:17 PM Edited by Queen, 19 July 2016 - 03:18 PM.

Oh I enjoyed Trump's entrance. I'm able to separate myself from my fandom to realize that it's the perfect song for him. It's pompous, bold, and arrogant. And I agree with you that artists shouldn't be hell bent on restricting their music. Just because Trump uses Queen doesn't mean that all of a sudden Queen are a conservative band. The song was originally written for the sole purpose of bringing people together in sports arenas and the like. I mean, if Eagles fans play the song after a game, does that mean Queen are Eagles fans? Of course not. 

In all honesty, I was more upset that Brian May had to say anything at all. If he really believes that the band's music should not be political in anyway, then he shouldn't have said anything to begin with. Because now he's taking a stance, and I imagine die hard Trump fans who are also die hard Queen fans are feeling rather conflicted at the moment. 

Freddie Mercury never expressed his political views. He always kept those things private, because he probably understood the importance of not discriminating any of his fans. 

• gfen likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users