Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:11 PM

Found this via Reddit, apparently it's the "uncensored" video, compared to what the mainstream version is. One Redditor says "This video was significantly changed for the UK release. The original video had war time footage in it, but because the UK was a combatant in Desert Storm at the time, British broadcasting laws required them to replace the military video portion with folk dancing instead."

I like this variant way more, honestly. The juggling clown @ 3:07 is amazing.

Queen
  • Queen

Vote For The Champion

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:13 AM Edited by Queen, 18 July 2016 - 07:27 AM.

I like it better too. It's a very interesting music video, and the song itself harks back to Queen's classic years (1970 - 1976). It's unfortunate that the song never translated well after it was at the top of the charts...face it, it's not as accessible and timeless as Bohemian Rhapsody. When's the last time we heard it on the radio? I mean, I can't speak for the UK, but my gut tells me that it's not regarded as highly as tracks like Who Wants to Live Forever and Radio Ga Ga. Doesn't mean it's a bad song, it's just I find it funny that a song that was so popular in the day is hardly recognized anymore. I've never talked to a casual Queen fan who said "Oh yeah, I know that track! What a cool song!" Instead, I get, "huh, what?" 

Not to say the song isn't great though. When I first listened to Innuendo that drum roll and the punchy-ness of the guitars immediately grabbed my attention. I thought Freddie sounded so menacing on that track...and the mood changes were very interesting, not to mention engaging. Brilliant track. As I understand it, the hype for that track was real...I remember watching an interview with Brian or Roger. One of them said there were certainly parallels to Bo Rhap, and that it was a real risk to release it as a single. After all, the song is about 40 seconds longer than Bo Rhap.

I wish Queen would have done more stuff like that toward the end of their career. It was a very welcoming return to classic Queen. They had more balls.

Here's an interesting documentary. In the beginning, Roger explains how the band is returning to form...more depth and texture to the album...and less poppy.

• Alchemist and Sweet Bellic like this

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:43 AM

Queen has a lot of great list of "radio worthy" tracks, it's just a shame that nobody plays them.. it's obviously all the mainstream stuff.. Bohemian Rhapsody, We Are The Champions, We Will Rock You, etc. Those tracks are great, but it doesn't define them completely. Back in the days when they were releasing new work, did they still play the same mainstream songs, or did the stations experiment more and branch out? I always wondered that. You particularly may not be able to answer, but I'm just clearing some thoughts :p

That's exactly what reeled me in. It had that deep, dramatic tone.. something that's quite pleasing. The Innuendo track reminds me a lot of Kashmir, by Led Zeppelin.. I'm sure you're aware of it. Not in the sense of it sounding particularly similar, but because it also has that deep and dramatic tone. The vocals are pretty similar at some parts, too. I refer to these songs as more than just "tracks", they're literally works of art. 

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Vote For The Champion

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:30 AM Edited by Queen, 18 July 2016 - 06:31 AM.

They're more than works of art. They're straight up masterpieces.

Anyway, good question. I imagine that certain songs like Save Me, Now I'm Here, and Seven Seas of Rhye (all of which were hits) got airtime, but as they say, it's survival of the fittest. We don't hear them on mainstream radio anymore -- certain songs just have better longevity. My father told me that radio stations in the 70s were more likely to play full albums on the radio. Crazy right? So yeah, some radio stations weren't afraid to branch out and experiment.

I'm pretty sure Kashmir was a direct inspiration for the track. Also, I think another inspiration for Innuendo was Bolero...that drum beat in the A section is definitely bolero-esque.

gfen
  • gfen

GTAF Minister of Propaganda

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:10 PM

Queen
  • Queen

Vote For The Champion

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:28 PM Edited by Queen, 19 July 2016 - 02:28 PM.

Yeah, I saw it last night, gfen. Trump also used We Are the Champions at his rallies, and here is what Brian May had to say about it then:

"This is not an official Queen statement, but I can confirm that permission to use the track was neither sought nor given. We are taking advice on what steps we can take to ensure this use does not continue. Regardless of our views on Mr. Trump's platform, it has always been against our policy to allow Queen music to be used as a political campaigning tool."

He also said:

"I will make sure we take what steps we can to dissociate ourselves from Donald Trump's unsavoury campaign."

It pisses me off that Trump didn't listen -- though given his personality I kind of knew he wouldn't give a f*ck. I just didn't expect him to be so blatant about it -- it's like chucking the finger at my favorite band.

Asshole.

:p

• gfen likes this

gfen
  • gfen

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:49 PM

Without turning this into a debate none of us care to have, I find the idea of artists restricting their songs like this to be annoying and tiresome. It's one thing when it's paid ads (the GM ad featuring the Who's Eminence Front is pretty funny when you know the words), but as far as I'm concerned using a song at an event like this qualifies for fair use.

On the other hand, in a world where ASCAAP charges a bar owner for a license just to play a jukebox or hire a coverband, I'm not surprised that artists except that level of control from their music. It's kinda crazy.

In the end, none of that has any bearing on this topic, but when I saw Trump walking out to that I immediately thought of you and the amusing way in which I assume your face twists to show disgust at it.

Frankly, it was a pretty good entrance if you don't get hung up on the political side of things. I assume Hilary arrives in a cloud of brimstone while Night on Bald Mountain plays. ;)

Johnson/Weld or Stein/Hippie 2016!

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Vote For The Champion

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:17 PM Edited by Queen, 19 July 2016 - 03:18 PM.

Oh I enjoyed Trump's entrance. I'm able to separate myself from my fandom to realize that it's the perfect song for him. It's pompous, bold, and arrogant. And I agree with you that artists shouldn't be hell bent on restricting their music. Just because Trump uses Queen doesn't mean that all of a sudden Queen are a conservative band. The song was originally written for the sole purpose of bringing people together in sports arenas and the like. I mean, if Eagles fans play the song after a game, does that mean Queen are Eagles fans? Of course not. 

In all honesty, I was more upset that Brian May had to say anything at all. If he really believes that the band's music should not be political in anyway, then he shouldn't have said anything to begin with. Because now he's taking a stance, and I imagine die hard Trump fans who are also die hard Queen fans are feeling rather conflicted at the moment. 

Freddie Mercury never expressed his political views. He always kept those things private, because he probably understood the importance of not discriminating any of his fans. 

• gfen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Vote For The Champion

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:27 AM

Happy 70th birthday, Freddie!

Rex_Freddie_127559b.jpg

Brian May announced last night that Asteroid17473, which was discovered in 1991 (the same year as Freddie's death), has been named after him by the International Astronomical Union’s Minor Planet Center.

Riqitch8
  • Riqitch8

"She'll make .5 past light speed"

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:30 PM Edited by Riqitch8, 05 September 2016 - 02:31 PM.

Happy 70th Freddie!

After the all the years I've been a Queen fan, I cannot decide my favourite song written by Freddie himself. I'm stuck between Princes Of The Universe or Play The Game.

• Alchemist, Queen and Sweet Bellic like this

Queen
  • Queen

Vote For The Champion

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:34 PM Edited by Queen, 05 September 2016 - 02:36 PM.

Two of my favorites. I enjoy listening to Play the Game as an acappella. 

It's very soothing.

Sweet Bellic
  • Sweet Bellic

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Finland

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:48 PM Edited by Sweet Bellic, 05 September 2016 - 02:50 PM.

This is probably my favorite Queen song.

• Alchemist and Queen like this

Queen
  • Queen

Vote For The Champion

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:57 PM

Excellent choice, Sweet Bellic. :D

Currently listening to this version of Spread Your Wings. It's far superior to the album version. The band breaks into double time toward the end and they start to jam the f*ck out. Why they didn't use this cut instead is beyond me. It's awesome!

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

• Zaibatsu
  • None
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:52 PM

Happy Birthday to one of the greatest rock legends ever. I wore my Queen t-shirt today and listened to my Queen playlist in the car :D I just had to celebrate.

A fun little video to pass the time with.. I'm not sure if it was shared here or not but enjoy :p

• Queen and Sweet Bellic like this

Queen
  • Queen

Vote For The Champion

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:57 AM

That's fantastic, Nick. :)

As amazing and talented as Freddie was (not to mention just being an all around great guy), he could be a bit...I don't know...needy. :lol:

"I never tie my own shoe lace, I mean NEVER!" 

Here's a great story told by one of their managers, John Reid. Freddie could be such a stubborn drama Queen. ;)

Queen
  • Queen

Vote For The Champion

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:14 AM

Some of you might be interested to know that Roger Taylor's son, Rufus, joined The Darkness not that long ago. I must say, it's good to see him do his old man proud.

Queen
  • Queen

Vote For The Champion

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 01 October 2016 - 01:13 AM

‘Queen on Air: The Complete BBC Sessions’ Arriving November 4, 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!

QueenOnAirHollywood.jpg?w=630&h=420&zc=1

http://www.queenonli...e-bbc-sessions/

JmXzE.gif

• Alchemist likes this

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

• Zaibatsu
  • None
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:42 AM

This is certainly interesting :)

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Vote For The Champion

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:44 AM

Yep, I made a copy of that for my iPod from Youtube. Fantastic version. Way better than the News of the World version, if you ask me. Love that bass solo!!!!!!!

Queen
  • Queen

Vote For The Champion

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:27 PM

Interesting video by Marc Martel on how to sound like Freddie...though as he says from the start it's mostly genetic.

Queen
  • Queen

Vote For The Champion

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:07 AM Edited by Queen, 05 November 2016 - 05:09 AM.

I drove to the post office this morning and picked up my copy of Queen: On Air (6 CD boxset). It was worth every f*cking penny. The BBC recordings sound terrific and some of the takes are quite unique. Found this slowed down version of Modern Times Rock'n'Roll and I've got to say it's better than the album version. It just sounds bigger, with more bravado, and Roger is in great form. Plus there's a whistle...and I'll bet Freddie's responsible for it. Also it's got a great coda. I've heard them perform the coda live, but not from a recording session. So f*cking cool.

Queen
  • Queen

Vote For The Champion

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Queen, 2 weeks ago.

Freddie's mum past away a few days ago. RIP Jer.

original_resize_720_360.jpg

Letter from Brian May:

Well, now the news is out there, I thought I should share a few words. Freddie’s Mum, Jer Bulsara, passed away a few days ago [13/11/16], very quietly and peacefully in her sleep. She was 94. It’s the wish of the family that the funeral and subsequent arrangements remain private.

Jer was a warm and devoted Mum to Freddie, and, like Freddie, always had a strong twinkle in the eye. Although she was also devoted to her husband Bomi, and lived in the Zoroastrian faith as a good Parsee, she had an independent spirit and a strong sense of humour. Of course I knew her for over 50 years, and when I first used to go around to Freddie’s parents’ house in Feltham, only a few yards from where I lived, in our student days, Jer was a busy Mum, full of life and optimism. And even then, fiercely proud of her children, Freddie and Kashmira. It’s probably true to say that Freddie’s father, strongly committed to the Parsee faith, didn’t find it easy that Freddie took the path he did, as a Rock musician, and a fairly irreverent one, at that. Nevertheless the support was always there. But Jer was always a keen follower of our progress as a band, and always came to see us when we played nearby, always with huge enthusiasm. Freddie was very close to his Mum, and, I think, took a mischievous pleasure in trying to shock her.

Roger and I remember one night before a show in London (Wembley Arena, I think) when Freddie announced .. “Mother’s in the audience tonight. Better throw in a few extra ‘f—ks !” There was never any sign that she was shocked. After Freddie’s passing, Jer stayed close to us - To Roger, Jim and myself. We always consulted her in our work that continued after we lost Freddie - the Tribute concert at Wembley Stadium, the Made in Heaven album, which encapsulated Freddie’s last gifts of vocals and was a two-year labour of love for us, the single No-one But You, our tribute to Freddie, which I wrote at the inauguration of the Freddie statue in Montreux, an occasion we shared with Jer. We talked to her about the remastering of tracks, the appearance we made at the Bejart Ballet with Elton singing, which was also John’s last live appearance with us, and later the work with did with Paul Rodgers, and latterly with Adam Lambert. She was with us all the way. She loved the fact that Freddie’s spirit lived on so strongly in the work we were doing, and that Freddie was always a physical part of our live shows.

In private moments with us, away from the glare of the spotlights, in latter years Jer was always ready with a cup of tea when we visited, and we were always able to speak about ‘My Freddie' without shyness, feeling that he was not far away.

This is a very hard time for Kash, of course, and we all hope she will be able to move through this quietly and find her peace.

Much love and respects.

RIP JER.

Bri XXX

gfen
  • gfen

• GTAF Crew
  • Vatican-City

Posted 3 days ago

Am I first with this? Go me.

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Vote For The Champion

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 3 days ago

Pretty cool, though I was disappointed they didn't try and include the hard rock section.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users