Official Queen Discussion Topic

269 replies to this topic
Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:02 AM Edited by Killer Queen, 21 February 2015 - 01:11 AM.

Check this out! VINYL! - http://www.queenonli...Set/42HJ0000000

$114 is pretty crazy though! Probably the lowest price you'll see, though.

Meh...I can't justify purchasing it for that price. I feel funny saying that because I'm usually ready to throw my cash for anything Queen related. lol

Here's the making of the I'm Going Slightly Mad video. The penguin part is hilarious.

• Mister Pink and Android like this

Android
  • Android

• Facade
  • None
  • Snap Battle Season 3 Winner [X360]
    The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 21 February 2015 - 04:20 AM

I had a good laugh at that! :lol: I'm Going Slightly Mad is probably my favorite songs by Queen and the video is just very interesting :)

For Vinyl purchases, do you think Amazon is a good retailer? I don't have any music shops around here, unfortunately. I'm dying to get NOTW and The Miracle

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 21 February 2015 - 04:42 AM Edited by Killer Queen, 21 February 2015 - 04:50 AM.

I can honestly say that I've never used Amazon for purchasing vinyl. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it, but after taking a quick look I was shocked to find that News of the World is being sold for $299.99! So if you do go that route just be careful you're not overpaying -- unless it's a colored disc, then I would say that price might be reasonable, but I can't be sure. Look at it this way, I bought my copy for about $5. But you could go to an independent shop and still pay through the roof, but again, it just depends on the version you're getting -- it could be rare, or it could be just a regular copy with the typical wear and tear.

Also, I'm not sure if this matters to you, but there are vinyl that have been remastered and reprinted (Circa 2011, I think). Personally, I like my vinyl to be original and in excellent condition, which is why I prefer going to local shops so that I can take a close examination. For example, I was fortunate enough to purchase one of the earliest copies of their debut album. Literally!!! It was a radio DJ version, and on the front it even said it wasn't for sale and only for promotion use. How cool is that? Finding that was by pure luck!!! It's been a personal mission of mine to collect vinyl through independent music stores. It's kind of like searching for hidden packages in GTA. lol

• Android likes this

Android
  • Android

• Facade
  • None
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 21 February 2015 - 04:56 AM

The $300 listing is probably for a very original copy, right? I don't think I'd wanna pay that much. There are copies from August 2009 for $19.99+, which isn't bad compared to the other one. I do not mind if it's remastered and reprinted, I honestly just want to collect them since it seems like a fun hobby. I know people have turntables to listen to their vinyl, but right now I don't have one, so this collection of mine will be just for fun =) 

I would go for originals if I had some music shop around here.. honestly, I doubt they would have anything close to original, anyway.

My girlfriend got me the CD album "A Day at the Races" from a local shop in her area (all the way in California), maybe I just might ask her to check around to see if they have any vinyl.

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:16 AM Edited by Killer Queen, 21 February 2015 - 05:23 AM.

Yeah, check with your girlfriend. You never know what she might find. Ebay might also be a good place to look. That said, be on the look out for a good copy of Jazz. The original copies came with a poster of dozens of girls on their bicycles. I think it got banned in the states. I was able to find one at a shop in New Jersey. Check it out...

https://queenvinyls..../03/queen01.jpg

• Android likes this

Android
  • Android

• Facade
  • None
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:42 PM

You live around Jersey? That's cool. I'm east of the Hudson River, in Westchester County, NY. I don't think there's many people here that have a large soft spot for Queen here =P

It's very cool to find rare items, it's a shame I haven't found much, anyway :/ 

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:19 AM

I've never been to Westchester County, but I travel to NYC frequently. In fact, I saw Queen at Madison Square Garden last summer. And don't worry, you'll find rare stuff when you least expect it. ;)

• Android likes this

Android
  • Android

• Facade
  • None
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:12 AM Edited by Android, 25 February 2015 - 02:59 AM.

Ah, lucky! I would have loved to have attended that concert. I'm really about 30-45 minutes from MSG, I think. Westchester County is basically right off the border of the Bronx borough, to give you an idea. I'm actually in the Queen City of the Sound :lol: (google for moar info)

I made some signatures and avatars, if anyone wants them

dWLL13f.gif au2jznH.gif 5vN3eAp.gif jTllycb.png OPo1mDY.png pJdZ6Yg.gif

These few were actually made by Slave Boy a while ago, as I requested them to be made =)

tIfCW6U.gif xI5uyMl.gif

DcoMKGe.gif f1PGArT.gif fEOzQJL.gif

Then here are the signatures I put together:

NJ9vqWW.png KY83gIS.png

jQ04neY.png tpsHrwZ.png

• Queen and The Deadite like this

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:46 AM Edited by Killer Queen, 26 February 2015 - 01:47 AM.

Good stuff, Android. If I didn't already have my kick ass avatar I'd use one of those. I like them a lot, especially the Headlong one. :)

Anyway, here's a funny commercial...

• Android likes this

Android
  • Android

• Facade
  • None
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:09 AM

:lol: That video makes me want to buy their concert/greatest hits DVD's now!

Feel free to place em on your profile or just keep it saved on your hard drive or somethin' :) I'm probably gonna use one soon, myself

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:20 AM

Greatest Video Hits 2 is an amazing DVD set. Of course, these days all you have to do is hop onto Youtube, but there's something to be said about holding a physical copy in your hands. :p

Android
  • Android

• Facade
  • None
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:51 PM Edited by Android, 26 February 2015 - 08:47 PM.

I love having physical copies of albums, movies, games.. etc. I don't really like that we're in a digital era (call me crazy). I know we'll probably phase out DVDs and CDs and what not in the future though.

I've been listening to Mother Love since last night. Its such a powerful and emotional song. Freddie could still hit the highh notes even though he was ill. The end is just a heart string puller.

I should be receiving Hot Space as a gift in a week or so. I already listened to it fully on Spotify (hated when I was interrupted by commercials, though :c). I have to say that Staying Power is now one of my favorites, along with Action This Day.

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:40 PM Edited by Killer Queen, 26 February 2015 - 09:55 PM.

I love having physical copies of albums, movies, games.. etc. I don't really like that we're in a digital era (call me crazy). I know we'll probably phase out DVDs and CDs and what not in the future though.

I've been listening to Mother Love since last night. Its such a powerful and emotional song. Freddie could still hit the highh notes even though he was ill. The end is just a heart string puller.

I should be receiving Hot Space as a gift in a week or so. I already listened to it fully on Spotify (hated when I was interrupted by commercials, though :c). I have to say that Staying Power is now one of my favorites, along with Action This Day.

Mother Love is an awesome ballad. It's even more poignant because it was Freddie's last vocal recording. There is an exhibition in Montreux, Switzerland where you can actually stand in the same spot he sang those lines. It's a shame he past away before he could finish recording the final verse. My only gripe about the recording is that obnoxious baby at the end. I understand why they put it in the song, but couldn't they have had a less annoying baby? lol

I love Staying Power and Action This Day as well. I guess most people rub their noses at the first side of the album due to all of the disco flavor, but I always thought the horns and synths were tastefully done. It could be argued that their live interpretation was even better...especially Action This Day. The end of it (starting at 4:12) at Milton Keynes in 1982 sends shivers down my spine every f*cking time. 

To me, this is also from one of their greatest tours. Freddie's voice was in top form. 

The artwork from the tour was kick a** as well. I have this T shirt.

Spoiler

Fun fact: Put Out the Fire (from Hot Space) features a drunk Brian May playing the guitar solo. He tried to re-record the solo later when he was sober, but couldn't beat his original take. 

• Android likes this

Android
  • Android

• Facade
  • None
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:34 PM

I'd love to visit the statue they have in Montreux. Maybe one day.. It's kind of on my bucket list, honestly. The baby at the end of the track doesn't really bother me so much, maybe it's because I've heard similar cries to that one before. You get used to it quickly if you have to watch over your baby cousins or something :D

Las Palabras de Amor is also a really nice track, and I do believe a remastered version was released on Queen Forever. I just love expanding my collection of favorites via my playlist on Spotify. It makes it way easier, too, since they have all the albums on there. 

That performance is outstanding. I love it as much as the regular studio version on the album. 

I'm considering picking up more apparel, but jeez, the prices on the official Queen store are kinda expensive, especially just for one shirt. Currently looking at "Queen '79 T-Shirt" and the "I'm Going Slightly Mad T-Shirt". Both $30.99, but I think shipping to the U.S costs like $8 or somewhere around that. I purchased my long sleeve Innuendo shirt from Amazon, but was being sold via a store called Old Glory (right in Connecticut). Just gonna stay hopeful and keep searching :)

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:42 PM Edited by Killer Queen, 26 February 2015 - 10:45 PM.

Do you have any Hot Topics around you? They typically sell Queen shirts. In fact, they're selling this one right now.

Spoiler

By the way, Las Palabras de Amor is probably my favorite ballad from them. I've been trying to convince my fiancée to use it at our wedding. lol

• Android likes this

Android
  • Android

• Facade
  • None
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:50 PM Edited by Android, 26 February 2015 - 10:51 PM.

Yes, there is a location nearby, actually! At a time they sold a couple of Queen shirts, and I was going to get one but then they were removed from the online store for some reason (I assume they stopped selling them in their stores, too). I'll look into this since it's a pretty nice design, I wish they sold it with a different colorway (like the ones from the official Queen store online).

It is a very lovely song! It's a wonderful idea, in my opinion

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:06 PM

I'll tell her someone actually agrees with me. :p

• Android likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:01 PM

Found these avatars for anyone interested.

AnightattheopersAvatar.gif HotFaces.gif QUEEN1.gif 

• Android likes this

Android
  • Android

• Facade
  • None
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:41 AM

Cool! I'm gonna add those and the ones I posted to the OP of the topic =)

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:46 AM Edited by Killer Queen, 07 March 2015 - 01:57 PM.

This is a symphony based solely on Queen songs. It was composed by Tolga Kashif, a lifelong Queen fan, in 2002. If you have school work to do or need to clean the house, I suggest putting this on in the background. Absolutely gorgeous. 

I : Adagio Mysterioso - Allegro Con Brio (Radio Gaga - The Show Must Go On - One Vision - I Was Born To Love You)
II: Allegretto (Pastoral) (Love Of My Life - Another One Bites The Dust - Killer Queen)
III: Adagio (Who Wants To Live Forever? - Save Me)
IV: Scherzo - Adagio - Scherzo (Bicycle Race - Save Me)
V: Moderato - Allegro - Andante Maestoso (Bohemian Rhapsody - We Will Rock You - We Are The Champions - Who Wants To Live Forever?)
VI: Adagio (We Are The Champions - Bohemian Rhapsody - Who Wants To Live Forever?)
  • Android likes this

Android
  • Android

• Facade
  • None
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:22 PM

I did not listen to the whole thing, but it's really great!! Usually I'm not a fan of orchestrated events and what not, but I loved it.

Lately, I just cannot find myself liking the version of There Must Be More to Life Than This (sheesh, what a long title :p) on the Forever album. I am, however, a big fan of the version that was included in Mercury's solo album "Mr. Bad Guy". It sounds so much better without all of the modernized tones and beats, in my opinion.. I'm sure not everyone agrees with me.

Here are the two songs one their own, respectively (if people haven't heard them before)

• Queen likes this

TheTelly
  • TheTelly

Sarah

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:28 PM

Great band  :lol: classic rock is the best

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:46 PM Edited by Killer Queen, 11 March 2015 - 09:50 PM.

I did not listen to the whole thing, but it's really great!! Usually I'm not a fan of orchestrated events and what not, but I loved it.

Lately, I just cannot find myself liking the version of There Must Be More to Life Than This (sheesh, what a long title :p) on the Forever album. I am, however, a big fan of the version that was included in Mercury's solo album "Mr. Bad Guy". It sounds so much better without all of the modernized tones and beats, in my opinion.. I'm sure not everyone agrees with me.

I'm a member of the official Queen forum and trust me you're not alone. Most fans hate the new version, including myself.

When the song was first played on the radio even Brian May and Roger Taylor (who were live in the studio) openly admitted their distaste for William Orbit's mix. Apparently, Michael Jackson's estate wouldn't allow the band to release the track unless they were allowed to choose the mix artist. Normally, Queen would want to be involved every step of the way. Anyway, they agreed and now we have a version that pretty much hides Freddie's voice while bringing to the forefront Michael's -- it's as if to say this is a Michael Jackson tune "featuring Freddie Mercury," which is f*cking bullsh*t. After all, Freddie wrote the song and it was intended to be a collaborative effort between two people.

Also, the original demo was a proper duet, with both of them trading lines within verses and harmonizing with one another. Check it out if you haven't...

Btw, this sh*t is hot.

• Android and ClaudX like this

Android
  • Android

• Facade
  • None
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:00 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I feel like William Orbit could've done better, some how.. I don't think it was fair at all, honestly. They all should've worked and decided on it together instead of the estate choosing a producer.

I wish that version was actually on the album. It's such a shame how it all turned out to be. I'm sure many others would have loved it just the way it is.

That's the first time I've heard State of Shock, and I sure do like it!
  • Queen likes this

mr quick
  • mr quick

Vår tid er forbi - Europa brenner!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Kenny G Enthusiast [All Time]
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:33 PM

I'll be playing "Don't stop me now" tomorrow at this mishmash rock show. I regret partaking, as the crew decided that the proceeds would go to charity. 

• Android and Queen like this

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:40 PM

That's great, Marwin! Best wishes!

It's a shame the money will be going to a better place though. :p

• mr quick likes this

mr quick
  • mr quick

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:45 PM Edited by Marwin Moody, 17 March 2015 - 11:45 PM.

That's great, Marwin! Best wishes!

It's a shame the money will be going to a better place though. :p

I know I sound like a dick, but:

1. am a dick
  2. I need the money.

Seriously, I've saved for 9 months and it has amounted to almost 500 bucks. 

Anyway, thanks for the kind regards. I hope it'll go well and that proceeds are minimal, so I don't feel like I lost that much. 

Scratch the last part. That was too much dick.

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:53 PM

haha, no I get it. 

I don't think most people understand just how tough it is to be a working musician. When I'm asked why I became a music teacher, and didn't look to pursue a career in performing my answer is always the same.

"I like to eat."

But seriously, I have mad respect for guys like you. Keep playing, man.

• mr quick likes this

mr quick
  • mr quick

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:57 PM

Thanks, right back at you. Gotta be honest, my dream occupation would be yours. Right now I'm just freelancing and working part time to make ends meet. Just barely. No point in being a guitar or piano teacher, as everyone just wants to play sh*tty hard rock. 

There should be a music theory/serious discussion thread. Let's get mixolydian* up in here.

*I know, mixolydian is one of the easiest modal scales, but it sounds dope. 

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Musical Prostitute

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:21 AM

Was surfing the internet for Queen stuff and found this article that ranks every Queen song. It's an interesting read...

http://radio.com/201...en-song-ranked/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users