» «
Photo

Official Queen Discussion Topic

266 replies to this topic
Pyrrhic
  • Pyrrhic

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:36 AM Edited by Linc., 10 December 2014 - 04:40 AM.

This is actually one of my favourite musical performances of any song by any band ever.

On a related note, this is also awesome.

• Android and Queen like this

Android
  • Android

Popsicle

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:21 AM

My favorite track, currently

• Scarface187 and Queen like this

Dirty Hairy
  • Dirty Hairy

Brew of the month: Ballast Point Pineapple Sculpin

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:11 AM

surprised this hasn't been posted yet

• Queen likes this

Strange Town
  • Strange Town

Looking at you, Mission/Heist failing Randoms

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

• Scarface187 and Queen like this

ilovebender.com
  • ilovebender.com

Trick

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:08 PM Edited by ilovebender.com, 04 January 2015 - 11:09 PM.

• Queen likes this

richard1997jones
  • richard1997jones

Welsh Boy

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:50 PM

Gotta track that video down man. It's pure sex.

Here's a couple from News Of The World that maybe get overlooked for We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions. The bass and drumming on Fight From The Inside are insane. Great gym song.

The album cover reminds me of an episode from family guy where Brian keeps showing Stewie the album cover and he finds it terrifying. BTW I love queen have over 30 of their songs on my ipod.

• Queen and Reconified like this

Android
  • Android

Popsicle

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:33 AM

On this day, 24 years ago (Feb. 4th, 1991), the album Innuendo was released :)

From the Facebook page "Queen Collectibles"

"A selection of 'Innuendo' album memorabilia and accompanying film."

10952414_770928312976241_607608833342190

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:40 PM Edited by QUEEN--ROCKS, 09 February 2015 - 06:47 PM.

How did it take me THIS long to find this thread? Thanks for starting this, Android.

I've been a fan since June 2003. At the time, I was about 16 years old. Me and my buddies were probably playing Goldeneye on the N64 when We Will Rock/We Are the Champions came on the radio. I asked my friends, "Who is this?" They said, "Queen." I didn't think much of it and continued playing. A few days later we're doing the same thing, but this time Bohemian Rhapsody is on the radio. Again, I ask, "Who is this" and they respond, "Queen." It absolutely blew my mind that the same band was responsible for all three songs. They were each so different. That same night I urged my parents, literally begged, for them to take me out so I can get a copy of one of their albums. That summer I played their Greatest Hits countless times.

Since that summer I have gone on to collect all of their albums (LPs and CDs). It's gotten to the point where some might say I have an addiction. If I spot anything Queen related, anything at all, I must have it. I've got somewhere around 40 shirts, every single official DVD plus a few bootlegs, countless books, Queen boxers, a Queen tie, a Queen belt, Queen playing cards, Queen hats, etc. Hell, all of the walls in my bedroom are covered with framed posters and LPs, including an award I received in college for being a Queen fanatic (I'm not kidding).

What draws me to the band is not only their immense talent, but also their ability to play any style of music, while still staying true to that classic Queen sound. They've experimented with hard rock, gospel, rockabilly, vaudeville, disco, psuedo-classical, flamenco, baroque, and not to mention a little bit of opera. I could go on and on. 

Now that I've found this thread you can be damn sure I'll be a regular poster. Thanks again, Android.

I'll leave you with a personal favorite...Stone Cold Crazy, which is a song later covered by Metallica. I would argue this is one of the earliest examples of thrash metal. Brilliant stuff.

P.S.

I'm looking forward to those signatures and avatars, Android. :)

• Android likes this

Android
  • Android

Popsicle

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:51 PM

Was hoping you'd find your way here some time ;)

I felt like this place needed a topic dedicated to Queen, since they're such a well loved band. I kind of felt the same way you did once I took a whole day just to listen to their music. It's amazing and just so incredible how their own music has expanded over so many different genres and such. Each song sounds different in their own way and that's what I love about them. 

I hoenstly became a fan very recently. Three years ago you could've asked me who they were and I would've been so clueless. In the Summer of '13 I actually heard Bohemian Rhapsody in the background of this one YouTube video, I cannot recall which one it was at this time, but it sounded so new and different (in a great way) to me. I was never really one to listen to a specific band, usually I just listened to the radio when I was bored.. but wow. Here I am today, owning six of their albums on CD, and having a mega playlist on Spotify. I wouldn't say I'm their biggest fan, but I surely do love their music and their vibes :)

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:16 PM

So which albums have you not listened to yet, Android?

Android
  • Android

Popsicle

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:19 PM

I still have to listen to The Works, The Game, and Hot Space fully

As for my small collection of albums, I have A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races, News of the World, Innuendo, and the newest one Forever :)

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:22 PM Edited by QUEEN--ROCKS, 09 February 2015 - 07:24 PM.

I'll be interested to read what you think about Hot Space. :)

Here's my favorite song that Freddie performed as a solo artist. He recorded this in one take.

• Android likes this

richard1997jones
  • richard1997jones

Welsh Boy

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:04 PM

I'll be interested to read what you think about Hot Space. :)

Here's my favorite song that Freddie performed as a solo artist. He recorded this in one take.

The amazing thing was that Freddie Mercury was dying but continued to do what he loved after 1987. He went on another four years with AIDS creating number ones again and again. The height came from live aid in 1985 but it was thanks to that concert that queen made so many hits. Freddie Mercury was going solo around the mid 1980's as queen's success had reached a low and queen may have split had they not taken part in that concert.

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:29 PM Edited by QUEEN--ROCKS, 09 February 2015 - 09:30 PM.

Queen were going through a rough patch just prior to Live Aid. In fact, Freddie was quite adamant that he did not want to perform at Live Aid and had to be heavily persuaded by Bob Geldoff to participate. You have to understand that Queen were placed on the United Nation's blacklisted artists for performing at Sun City during the height of apartheid in 1984. The band were in the midst of defending their reputation, claiming that they were there simply to perform for the fans and that they weren't trying to make a political statement. But alas other musicians, including Daryl Hall from Hall and Oats, were calling Queen a bunch of jerks. So for the band to step on stage at Live Aid was a bold move. They were probably regarded as the least likely band to steal the show that day, but God damn it they did. Here's a short documentary about Queen's performance at Live Aid:

• Android likes this

Android
  • Android

Popsicle

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:06 AM Edited by android, 11 February 2015 - 03:08 AM.

I'll most likely get around to having a real good listen to Hot Space this upcoming weekend. I'll post my thoughts here :)

Was browsing reddit.com/r/queen and found this.. https://soundcloud.com/mike-triana

The user on Soundcloud posted a cover version of The Show Must Go On, I believe that is one of your favorite tracks, QUEEN-ROCKS :)

Also found this, which is like a visualization of their must used words - http://www.visualizi...ll-screen/46075

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:09 AM

Not a bad cover. It reminded me of a documentary a watched not too long ago. I think you'd love it...

• Android likes this

Android
  • Android

Popsicle

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:14 AM

I love documentaries, I'll have to set this one aside on high priority!

I recently discovered this video of Mercury's vocal range, which little snippets from different songs.

• Queen likes this

Scarface187
  • Scarface187

Putting out the fire with gasoline.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:21 AM Edited by Scarface187, 13 February 2015 - 03:25 AM.

I really enjoy Hot Space.

In fact I prefer 80's Queen to 70's Queen. Come at me. A Kind of Magic for life.

Here's two I can't believe haven't been posted yet. Underrated tracks.

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:28 AM

A Kind of Magic was a good album if only for the fact that it served as the soundtrack (and I use that term very loosely) for Highlander. These are a few of my favorite tracks from the album...

This next song is a guilty pleasure of mine...it's kind of cheesy, but at the same time I can't help but love the simple sentiment, and don't get me started on Freddie's falsetto. ;)

• Scarface187 and Android like this

Android
  • Android

Popsicle

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:29 AM

I could've sworn I posted I Want It All before! Maybe I was too busy listening to it on repeat ;)

80's Queen is pretty awesome, but I don't like to choose favorite eras, honestly. I love their music so much and I just can't narrow it down to a ten year span
  • Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:40 AM Edited by QUEEN--ROCKS, 13 February 2015 - 03:41 AM.

So true, Android. I think one of the reasons why I've been able to listen to their music for so long is that there music is so varied. It's like listening to different bands, even though it's all one band. I mean, this sounds...

...completely different than...

As I was discovering their music I simply never knew what to expect and I can't think of anything more exciting than that.

• Android likes this

Android
  • Android

Popsicle

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:52 AM

Definitely one of the main reasons why I love Queen so much! :) The sounds from each era are very diverse.
  • Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:36 AM

This is a sad, but very revealing story told by Elton John about Freddie Mercury. 

Also, here is something a little less depressing. ;)

• Android likes this

mr quick
  • mr quick

VŚr tid er forbi - Europa brenner!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Kenny G Enthusiast [All Time]
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:40 PM Edited by Marwin Moody, 16 February 2015 - 11:41 PM.

I'm doing a big concert out in March, I'm playing piano on "Don't Stop Me Now", and rhythm guitar on "Another One Bites The Dust". The interesting part is that we're doing a mashup of "Another One Bites The Dust" and Muse's "Panic Station" - It's going to sound great, I think it's interesting how similar tunes can be but still be individual to themselves. 

Also, remember to vote on Brian May in the UG Showdown(I know it's stupid) http://www.ultimate-...jimmy_page.html

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:22 AM

Muse leaves subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) nods to Queen in their music. The best example I can think of is United States of Eurasia from The Resistance album.

Spoiler

Below is a pretty good article explaining how Muse are today's Queen. Take it with a grain of salt though. Regardless, Muse shouldn't be underestimated.

http://whatculture.c...odern-queen.php

• Android likes this

Android
  • Android

Popsicle

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:21 AM Edited by android, 17 February 2015 - 07:21 AM.

The piano work from the beginning sounds like it would come from a Queen song :) Love the sudden intensity at around 1:16. I can definitely see how this song takes some influence from Queen. 

I'm gonna be honest, I haven't listened to Muse since I heard one of their songs in an NFS game. I should really give them the attention they deserve

Love the new avatar and username, btw!

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:29 PM

I'm glad you enjoyed the song, Android. Not sure if you noticed, but the part where Matt Belamy sings "There can be only one" is a famous quote from the movie Highlander that Queen wrote the music for in 1986. Anyway, if you're a fan of Queen you'll probably like this band. I suggest starting with The Resistance, which to me, is their A Night at the Opera.  :^:

While we're on the subject of bands that have taken influence from Queen we can't not mention The Darkness. That band is so damn flamboyant it pretty much oudos Freddie's fake tits from 1984.  :lol:

1111060204202.jpg

Spoiler

• Android likes this

Android
  • Android

Popsicle

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:56 AM Edited by Android, 19 February 2015 - 02:02 AM.

I've recently discovered isolated vocal videos on YouTube.. I some how fell in love with the bass line of The Who's "Eminence Front", and decided to see if I could find any Queen songs and what not. Here's three four of my favorite :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSvpdej2OlA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4b0MarojNI

• Queen likes this

Queen
  • Queen

Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States
  • Nicest Member 2016

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:30 AM Edited by Killer Queen, 19 February 2015 - 03:35 AM.

Those are some awesome vocals. It's always nice to hear his voice isolated. He had so much power and passion.

This is one of my favorite performances. It was filmed in 1977 during what I think was the News of the World tour.

Everybody let's rock and roll!

• Android likes this

Android
  • Android

Popsicle

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:20 AM

Check this out! VINYL! - http://www.queenonli...Set/42HJ0000000

$114 is pretty crazy though! Probably the lowest price you'll see, though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users