I'm not entirety sure what the difference between a diffuse\specular 'Level' and 'Color' is, google doesn't help much either, could you fill me in?
I'll tell you what i know:
- There is only one kind of diffuse in gta4, and it HAS to be a texture, you can't just fill it in with a color like you can in some other game engines
- Specular can also just use 1 map, if your diffuse needs a full reflection (white), just up the 'Spec. map power' slider
- Gloss(iness) maps are not present in gta4, instead I believe the 'Specularity' slider is the amount of Gloss, but not totally sure on that
- The 'Specular mask' color in the specular shader is used to determine in which color channel the specular texture is. If you look around in gta4 texture archives, you might come across some weird looking textures that just appear to be red, green and blue
This is a texture that consists of 3 seperate textures in one. Each using one color channel (R, G, and B) It's designed to save space. You can ignore this system and just 'black\white' speculars instead.
Which of these materials i can use on my render in 3dsMAX and be sure it will be rendered at RAGE? At other words, GTAIV supports Specular Color and Specular Level? or just one Specular? (Same question for Diffuse). That is important because if don't, i can't do a lot of things i imagined.
- Diffuse color, Specular....color (I believe), Bump and Reflection.
What are the things you wanted to do that you else couldn't? You can achieve the same things as any other engine, just in a different way.
So... How the windows bright yellow at night: it's a plain model texturised which appears at night? And how i get interiors ilumination when it is night and another night effects? Simple Omnis? Street lamps and so? Basically: What happens with the models at night? How can i add lights to appear justr at night?
- Nightwindows: plane with a flat texture and gta_emissivenight shader
- Interior at night: Omini's and Spots. If you don't use lights it will still be visible at night, controlled by timecyclemodifier data files
- With GIMS you can add lights, as a standard they are always on ONLY at night (between 7:15 PM and ....5:45 AM I think)
- Even when you add no lights, objects are still visible weither it's exterior or interior.
So... How the streets come brighter at rainy days (simulating water reflection)?
It simply makes the specular power higher. Also the timecyc controls the intensity of the streetlights for each weaither, so: higher intensity light = stronger specular.
Can you pass me a good source material about it all? Because i don't know a thing about how GTA Modding and properties works
I'm not aware of any properly written tutorials, there is some stuff on youtube, some stuff on openiv website, and there is the gtaforums topics. I can answer most of your questions.