Photo

(Q) Texture Materials and GTAIV Support

5 replies to this topic
MenuET
  • MenuET

Maxscript Modeler

• Feroci
  • Panama

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:15 PM Edited by MenuET, 14 August 2014 - 04:23 PM.

Which materials or maps of these below does GTAIV Support?

I just know 3 of then, but i am unsure if it supports reflection, refracton, displacement and self-ilumination

kf44030.jpg

And one more question: How can i do the day/night lighting and shading on GTA?

and, how can i make the spec map change on rainy days?

• Jestic likes this

Jestic
  • Jestic

Chris

• Modding Staff
  • Netherlands
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Conversion 2014 [ViIV for GTANY Contribution]
    Best Map 2011 [IVSA]
    Modding Milestone [IVSA/Ped Paths]
    Best Map 2013 [ViceCityStories PC Edition][Contribution]

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:54 PM Edited by MajesticNL, 18 August 2014 - 05:58 PM.

Reflection - Yes, but no cubemaps, it uses these kind.

Refraction - No.

Displacement - No.

Self-ilumination - Yes, they are called 'emissive' shaders. It doesn't use an additional map, instead it just brightens the texture.

IV (or all RAGE games for that matter) don't use day\night vertex coloring (if that is what you meant) It just uses 1 vertex color channel. Also, don't confuse it with III-era where vertex color was made with a daylight system in 3ds max. Instead just use it as fake ambient occlusion (with a skylight)

You can't change spec map under different weather conditiopns either, it's just 1 specular per diffuse and that's it.

Understand that this is not  Unreal Engine 4. It's a 'turned down' engine, just as good as it needs to be to make a GTA city that feels real enough and looks good. It doesn't have all of that fancy stuff.

Also I advice you to ask questions related to models and shaders in GIMS, OpenIV, or OFIO topic, You will get a lot quicker response that way!

• MenuET likes this

MenuET
  • MenuET

Maxscript Modeler

• Feroci
  • Panama

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:20 PM Edited by MenuET, 18 August 2014 - 08:36 PM.

Reflection - Yes, but no cubemaps, it uses these kind.

Refraction - No.

Displacement - No.

Self-ilumination - Yes, they are called 'emissive' shaders. It doesn't use an additional map, instead it just brightens the texture.

Thank you, pal. But... One more question: There are 2 kind of Specular:

-Specular Color and

-Specular Level,

As there are 2 kinds of Diffuse maps, too.

-Diffuse Color and 

-Diffuse Level

Which of these materials i can use on my render in 3dsMAX and be sure it will be rendered at RAGE? At other words, GTAIV supports Specular Color and Specular Level? or just one Specular? (Same question for Diffuse). That is important because if don't, i can't do a lot of things i imagined.

IV (or all RAGE games for that matter) don't use day\night vertex coloring (if that is what you meant) It just uses 1 vertex color channel. Also, don't confuse it with III-era where vertex color was made with a daylight system in 3ds max. Instead just use it as fake ambient occlusion (with a skylight)

So... How the windows bright yellow at night: it's a plain model texturised which appears at night? And how i get interiors ilumination when it is night and another night effects? Simple Omnis? Street lamps and so? Basically: What happens with the models at night? How can i add lights to appear justr at night?

You can't change spec map under different weather conditiopns either, it's just 1 specular per diffuse and that's it.

So... How the streets come brighter at rainy days (simulating water reflection)?

Also I advice you to ask questions related to models and shaders in GIMS, OpenIV, or OFIO topic, You will get a lot quicker response that way!

Can you pass me a good source material about it all? Because i don't know a thing about how GTA Modding and properties works

• Jestic likes this

Jestic
  • Jestic

Chris

• Modding Staff
  • Netherlands
  • Helpfulness Award
    Best Map 2011 [IVSA]

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:36 PM Edited by MajesticNL, 18 August 2014 - 10:42 PM.

Thank you, pal. But... One more question: There are 2 kind of Specular:

-Specular Color and

-Specular Level,

As there are 2 kinds of Diffuse maps, too.

-Diffuse Color and 

-Diffuse Level

I'm not entirety sure what the difference between a diffuse\specular 'Level' and 'Color' is, google doesn't help much either, could you fill me in?

I'll tell you what i know:

- There is only one kind of diffuse in gta4, and it HAS to be a texture, you can't just fill it in with a color like you can in some other game engines

- Specular can also just use 1 map, if your diffuse needs a full reflection (white), just up the 'Spec. map power' slider

- Gloss(iness) maps are not present in gta4, instead I believe the 'Specularity' slider is the amount of Gloss, but not totally sure on that

- The 'Specular mask' color in the specular shader is used to determine in which color channel the specular texture is. If you look around in gta4 texture archives, you might come across some weird looking textures that just appear to be red, green and blue

This is a texture that consists of 3 seperate textures in one. Each using one color channel (R, G, and B) It's designed to save space. You can ignore this system and just 'black\white' speculars instead.

Which of these materials i can use on my render in 3dsMAX and be sure it will be rendered at RAGE? At other words, GTAIV supports Specular Color and Specular Level? or just one Specular? (Same question for Diffuse). That is important because if don't, i can't do a lot of things i imagined.

- Diffuse color, Specular....color (I believe), Bump and Reflection.

What are the things you wanted to do that you else couldn't? You can achieve the same things as any other engine, just in a different way.

So... How the windows bright yellow at night: it's a plain model texturised which appears at night? And how i get interiors ilumination when it is night and another night effects? Simple Omnis? Street lamps and so? Basically: What happens with the models at night? How can i add lights to appear justr at night?

- Nightwindows: plane with a flat texture and gta_emissivenight shader

- Interior at night: Omini's and Spots. If you don't use lights it will still be visible at night, controlled by timecyclemodifier data files

- With GIMS you can add lights, as a standard they are always on ONLY at night (between 7:15 PM and ....5:45 AM I think)

- Even when you add no lights, objects are still visible weither it's exterior or interior.

So... How the streets come brighter at rainy days (simulating water reflection)?

It simply makes the specular power higher. Also the timecyc controls the intensity of the streetlights for each weaither, so: higher intensity light = stronger specular.

Can you pass me a good source material about it all? Because i don't know a thing about how GTA Modding and properties works

I'm not aware of any properly written tutorials, there is some stuff on youtube, some stuff on openiv website, and there is the gtaforums topics. I can answer most of your questions.

• MenuET likes this

MenuET
  • MenuET

Maxscript Modeler

• Feroci
  • Panama

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:36 AM

I'm not entirety sure what the difference between a diffuse\specular 'Level' and 'Color' is, google doesn't help much either, could you fill me in?

I'll tell you what i know:

- There is only one kind of diffuse in gta4, and it HAS to be a texture, you can't just fill it in with a color like you can in some other game engines

- Specular can also just use 1 map, if your diffuse needs a full reflection (white), just up the 'Spec. map power' slider

- Gloss(iness) maps are not present in gta4, instead I believe the 'Specularity' slider is the amount of Gloss, but not totally sure on that

- The 'Specular mask' color in the specular shader is used to determine in which color channel the specular texture is. If you look around in gta4 texture archives, you might come across some weird looking textures that just appear to be red, green and blue

This is a texture that consists of 3 seperate textures in one. Each using one color channel (R, G, and B) It's designed to save space. You can ignore this system and just 'black\white' speculars instead.

Actually specular level is a king of glossiness map, setting where the spec wil be brighter or darker. Not so much important, BTW, you enlighted me a lot of things, thank you

- Nightwindows: plane with a flat texture and gta_emissivenight shader

- Interior at night: Omini's and Spots. If you don't use lights it will still be visible at night, controlled by timecyclemodifier data files

- With GIMS you can add lights, as a standard they are always on ONLY at night (between 7:15 PM and ....5:45 AM I think)

- Even when you add no lights, objects are still visible weither it's exterior or interior.

About the GIMS option: can i change the option? for example: 5:30 PM to 6:20 AM?

Explain about gta_emissivenight and/or another types of gta_emissive, as i didn't find so much thing on Google.

Jestic
  • Jestic

Chris

• Modding Staff
  • Netherlands
  • Helpfulness Award
    Best Map 2011 [IVSA]

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:34 AM

No, that's hardcoded in the exe.

emissive shader simply brightens the texture. There are 3 variations, emissive, emissivenight and emissivestrong

I know emissive and emissivestong work day and night, i'm not sure what the difference is between the 2. While emissivenight is only designed for night (night windows).For each 3 there is also an 'alpha' version if you use an alpha texture. In addition, you can also combine them with normal, spec & reflact shader.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users