Vehicle Tyres

26 replies to this topic
Flash525
  • Flash525

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • England

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

There's a bunch to choose from; off-road, sports, high end etc - does this choice actually effect the driving/control of a car, or is it purely aesthetic?

I believe I read in one of the more recent patch notes that Rockstar had changed the traction on cars without spoilers, so that a spoiler is needed if you want better traction. I found that out the hard way from driving the Massacaro without one (I like the look of it without, though since whatever patch that was, I've needed to put a spoiler on).

I'm just curious as to whether tyres make any difference. If I were to stick off-road tyres on a sports car, would that sports car perform better off-road? If I were to slap sports tyres on a Sedan, would that car then be quicker/have more traction?

• Eqaulo likes this

Blingy
  • Blingy

Nigga Ya Love Ta Hate

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:02 PM

There's a bunch to choose from; off-road, sports, high end etc - does this choice actually effect the driving/control of a car, or is it purely aesthetic?

I believe I read in one of the more recent patch notes that Rockstar had changed the traction on cars without spoilers, so that a spoiler is needed if you want better traction. I found that out the hard way from driving the Massacaro without one (I like the look of it without, though since whatever patch that was, I've needed to put a spoiler on).

I'm just curious as to whether tyres make any difference. If I were to stick off-road tyres on a sports car, would that sports car perform better off-road? If I were to slap sports tyres on a Sedan, would that car then be quicker/have more traction?

I have no idea on this situation. I've heard that it does change traction, and i've heard that it's all purely cosmetic. I guess the only way you could really tell is Off-Road. I think on asphalt it would be really too close to call. Just don't get people started on White Letter tires around here, I guess it's a sin to do it or something?

CheaterMcCheat
  • CheaterMcCheat

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • England

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:03 PM Edited by CheaterMcCheat, 14 August 2014 - 04:04 PM.

It's purely aesthetic. If you notice a difference it's just placebo.
  • dead goon, KeeNer187, JayDM420 and 1 other like this

moostered
  • moostered

Racer

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:04 PM

No.Look up a guy called broughy1322 he's tested it.

skunkcore
  • skunkcore

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:06 PM

inb4 facts vs personal beleifs debate

8up local
  • 8up local

sharp as a marble

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

No.Look up a guy called broughy1322 he's tested it.

i see this name pop up quite a bit, but if i want a true test of what a vehicle or it's parts can do for me then i test myself. those test are a good base line to start with, but hardly covers most real driving situation in Online IMO. bottom line of my point is test stuff for yourself if you really want to know if and how something is going to work for you or if you'll be happy with it.

• A Maned Wolf and rickreim like this

TheHammer
  • TheHammer

Oligarch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

Search the Forum, back in the early days of GTAO someone posted the game file showing that custom tires did slightly improve the traction modifier. 

It was very slight from my recollection, not enough for me to put them on a car that doesn't match them

BlackAce23
  • BlackAce23

Keepin' it 100

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

No it is real especially the off road tires. Don't believe me, take a sultan and climb the path on Mt chiliad to the top and use both offroad & sports and you will feel a dramatic difference in traction. Another one is to pick a muscle car, pick both muscle and sports tires and try to drift corners on the street.

ManInBlack
  • ManInBlack

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:06 PM

Just curious because i dont follow most changing aspects of this game...Did i hear that spoiler's now have some impact on car performance? 

BlackAce23
  • BlackAce23

Keepin' it 100

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:09 PM

Just curious because i dont follow most changing aspects of this game...Did i hear that spoiler's now have some impact on car performance? 

Yes since a patch back they increase the cars handling.

Sparky McWonderpants
  • Sparky McWonderpants

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Gibraltar

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

Yes since a patch back they increase the cars handling.

Spoilers do, you can see the traction bar increase when adding one on.

Tires do nothing, all you get as evidence from people who say they do something is 100% anecdotal and based on "feel".  There are many ways to quantify that "feel" but they choose not to as it would dispel their idea.

TheHammer
  • TheHammer

Oligarch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:48 PM

Spoilers do, you can see the traction bar increase when adding one on.

Really, people still believe the stats on the web page?

Explain how the game uses that bar graph to make your car run?

thebrianmo
  • thebrianmo

Steel City Saint

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:51 PM

I hope the OP means TIRES....

I've tested the different types of tires and there is total truth to them having different levels of traction. You'll slide around more with some of them, which might be good if you like to drift. I prefer steady road handling so I stick to high end and sport tires for the most part.

n0tj0sh33
  • n0tj0sh33

H20 Lean Same Thing

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

Nope its been proven they don't do anything and people have even looked into the vehicle handling stats and nothing changes with any difference in tires (custom tires are aesthetic only as well)

SpidersWeb
  • SpidersWeb

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:08 PM Edited by SpidersWeb, 14 August 2014 - 08:09 PM.

No they do not make a difference - at least I've never noticed it when switching.

I've tested the different types of tires and there is total truth to them having different levels of traction. You'll slide around more with some of them, which might be good if you like to drift. I prefer steady road handling so I stick to high end and sport tires for the most part.

Actually you can spell it either way. I'm guessing 'tires' is the American spelling.

tyre

ˈtʌɪə/

noun
plural noun: tyres

a rubber covering, typically inflated or surrounding an inflated inner tube, placed round a wheel to form a soft contact with the road.

• Vanilla Poison likes this

BoJack Cognac
  • BoJack Cognac

Cowboy and Rap Star

• Members

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

inB4 "it's 'tires' "

SpidersWeb
  • SpidersWeb

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

inB4 "it's 'tires' "

Too late.

Rockwheels
  • Rockwheels

ayy lmao

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

No they do not make a difference - at least I've never noticed it when switching.

Actually you can spell it either way. I'm guessing 'tires' is the American spelling.

tyre

ˈtʌɪə/

noun
plural noun: tyres

a rubber covering, typically inflated or surrounding an inflated inner tube, placed round a wheel to form a soft contact with the road.

Yep tires is U.S English, and Tyre is British English.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire

Pusher87
  • Pusher87

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

Someone posted the game files to prove that it's aesthetic. I tried putting off road tyres on a Sultan and I saw no difference at all but that's just personal experience. When people put ugly giant wheels with low profile tyres on an off road vehicle I don't see them struggle for traction when they go off road. I will not believe rumours. People argued before that spoilers made a difference and than Rockstar patched it to make it so, none of those people are admitting they were feeding misinformation when the patch changed it. I'm sure the same will happen with tires

Cant-B-Faded
  • Cant-B-Faded

"...apparently seeking revenge..."

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

I went from muscle wheels back to off road wheels on my 6x6 and there's a dramatic difference climbing hills. I just learned this yesterday doing a race and then switching. It was sliding all over the place going uphill.

SpidersWeb
  • SpidersWeb

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:25 PM

. People argued before that spoilers made a difference and than Rockstar patched it to make it so, none of those people are admitting they were feeding misinformation when the patch changed it. I'm sure the same will happen with tires

It wasn't misinformation, because at the time it was posted it was true.

KeeNer187
  • KeeNer187

-_-

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:46 PM

I'm pretty sure it doesn't make a difference which type of tires you have and I wouldn't doubt that custom tires are slightly better but who knows.

Blankerz
  • Blankerz

Chradder Killa

• Members
  • England

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

*sigh* 

*looks at thebrianmo stats*

*sighs louder*

HipHopMagician
  • HipHopMagician

Some guy on Earth

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

The offroad tires seem to give you a bit more control offroading. You don't spin as much.

I've tried it, and it definitely feels better with off road tires. 

Other tire types, I don't think there's a difference. Definitely never felt like there is one. 

Smesi.
  • Smesi.

IQ : -78

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

• moostered likes this

TheGoodSgtScooter
  • TheGoodSgtScooter

Vote freedom, vote Scooter. Current mayor of Paleto Bay.

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

Lowrider rims have much less traction than sports rims.
Also putting muscle tires on a car seems to make it accel faster, I've tested this with a friend. He put classic rod - low rider tires on his car, and I put jefe - muscle on my car. Two stock rhapsodys, said from the tires, and the muscle rims pulled ahead and went around corners better.

size_m
  • size_m

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

didn't you watch the video above your post??

it proofs that your feelings about any differences are placebo!

unless you can show comparable scientific evidence which proofs the opposite.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users