Western Motorcycle Company Logo request

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic
WesternMotorcycleCo.
  • WesternMotorcycleCo.

Western Motorcycle Company Cruisers

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:42 PM Edited by TPenterprise, 12 August 2014 - 05:10 PM.

I made this logo a while ago but I used the wrong font. Can someone please change the font to Impact? 

I would do it myself but when I cut the font out from the shape, I used "select pixels" and deleted, resulting in pixelated edges. I know there is a proper way to cut font out of a shape but I can't do it. Strangely enough I was able to do it in Illustrator when creating the MAMMOTH logo, but I haven't got a clue how I did that. If someone could do this request or else tell me how to do (I tried google) it would be appreciated.

If you could also send me the editted PSD and save the logo as PNG as large as possible (within reason)

PSD file: http://www.mediafire...n_logo_snap.psd

(sorry i know it's kinda all over the place)

western_logo_emblem.png

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:51 AM

Just paint over the existing text and redo your logo.

DJA8SuK.png

WesternMotorcycleCo.
  • WesternMotorcycleCo.

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:25 AM Edited by TPenterprise, 13 August 2014 - 09:25 AM.

Just paint over the existing text and redo your logo.

DJA8SuK.png

Yes but as said in OP, I don't know how to cut text out of the shape properly

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

hold CTRL then click your text layer where it says T as shown below

d05aa5b7fd0b3a82c56e7cf7d95c1d27.png

You'll see your text highlighted, then go to your logo layer and hit DELETE, it will make the cutout of your text in your logo. Now hide or remove your text layer and there ya go.

WesternMotorcycleCo.
  • WesternMotorcycleCo.

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

hold CTRL then click your text layer where it says T as shown below

d05aa5b7fd0b3a82c56e7cf7d95c1d27.png

You'll see your text highlighted, then go to your logo layer and hit DELETE, it will make the cutout of your text in your logo. Now hide or remove your text layer and there ya go.

I don't mean to sound like an asshole so apologies if I do, but have you even read the OP at all? I said I knew how to do that but that's not the best way to do it. The easiest, yes, but not the best as it leaves rough edges. There is a way to do it using paths and vectors but I don't know how to do it. As I said, i did it in the MAMMOTH logo but I haven't a clue how I did it. Also tried the methods on google and they wouldn't work for this logo. I think it may have something to do with layering in Illustrator as I originally made the logo in PS. So I think my best (only) option is to redo the whole logo again in Illustrator, unless someone here can fulfill the request properly.

Appreciate you trying to help by the way!

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

It leaves no rough edges for me man..

WesternMotorcycleCo.
  • WesternMotorcycleCo.

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:30 AM Edited by TPenterprise, 13 August 2014 - 11:42 AM.

It leaves no rough edges for me man..

I'll give it another try later and post my results, but the "select pixels" (your method) I think always will give rough edges, at least when you resize it. Maybe I can try making the logo huge then cutting out the text as above the sizing down and it might preserve quality.

Edit: the Mammoth logo, notice how crisp the text is. I can also resize it (in illustrator) large or small and quality is preserved as I cut the text vector path out of a background vector shape

mammoth_logo.png

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

Even vectors will have rough edges, just part of graphic design man.. don't think it matters what program you use. You can try the larger logo then downsize it but chances are, you may still get rough edges

WesternMotorcycleCo.
  • WesternMotorcycleCo.

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:40 AM Edited by TPenterprise, 13 August 2014 - 11:41 AM.

Even vectors will have rough edges, just part of graphic design man.. don't think it matters what program you use. You can try the larger logo then downsize it but chances are, you may still get rough edges

Yeah but not as bad as the logo in the OP, the grainy text just annoys me, OCD maybe?

Edit: also forgot to actually post the mammoth logo above, done

Mockage
  • Mockage

Fljótavík

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

If you need it in a larger size let me know.

0V1RB9T.pngWUjhLY5.png

PSD: https://www.mediafir...62gac0b0itb0a80
  • WesternMotorcycleCo. likes this

WesternMotorcycleCo.
  • WesternMotorcycleCo.

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

If you need it in a larger size let me know.

0V1RB9T.pngWUjhLY5.png

PSD: https://www.mediafir...62gac0b0itb0a80

Thanks man, how did you cut the text out as a matter of interest?

Mockage
  • Mockage

Fljótavík

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

Excluded them with the pathfinder tool. I just simply added the text, converted them to shape layers and with everything selected I used the shapes (previously text) to cut into the base shape, and in turn get the above result.

WesternMotorcycleCo.
  • WesternMotorcycleCo.

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

Excluded them with the pathfinder tool. I just simply added the text, converted them to shape layers and with everything selected I used the shapes (previously text) to cut into the base shape, and in turn get the above result.

Thanks, Illustrator or PS?

Mockage
  • Mockage

Fljótavík

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:22 PM

Illustrator. Using your PSD file I converted the paths from Photoshop to Illustrator and did everything else there.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

You still have your jagged edges though.. as I've tried to explain earlier. You still could have done this yourself.

WesternMotorcycleCo.
  • WesternMotorcycleCo.

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:26 PM Edited by TPenterprise, 13 August 2014 - 11:36 PM.

You still have your jagged edges though.. as I've tried to explain earlier. You still could have done this yourself.

Yes but it's much more crisp than the original. Also, as long as pixels exist, you're always going to have some sort of distortion unless pixels can make diagonal lines. The "jagged edges" are just due to limitations of the screen you're viewing it on. The point is if you do it the proper way, you can resize to your liking without losing quality. The "select pixels" not so much.

So no, I couldn't have done it myself.

Edit: just tried the method you posted and while it does work, try zooming in or saving it as a large image and the loss in quality is clear. I also just like to know the proper way of doing things. Thanks though!

Illustrator. Using your PSD file I converted the paths from Photoshop to Illustrator and did everything else there.

Sorry if this is a nooby question but how did you do that? Do you mean you just opened the PSD in AI, or is there something else to it? I was able to open the PSD in AI but didn't know what to do next

Mockage
  • Mockage

Fljótavík

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:35 AM Edited by Mockage, 14 August 2014 - 01:38 AM.

In Photoshop, I selected all your paths, then went to File > Export > Paths to Illustrator. It'll make an .ai file that you can open in Illustrator and edit to your own free will.

edit- GW, you're always going into request topics and telling people to go do the work themselves because they're "easy." Have you received a reminder for that by any chance?

• Kurber and WesternMotorcycleCo. like this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:28 AM Edited by GunWrath, 14 August 2014 - 10:48 AM.

Noone said that it was easy.. but a lot of the people asking for requests are those that have Photoshop themselves. Notice when they ask for .psd's.. Sorry, but I'm not going to do the work because someone is lazy or doesn't have the urge to learn themselves. I don't need a reminder, I've put enough time and effort into this section, even headed this section at one point, so I certainly don't need a reminder.

They'll never learn anything if they keep asking for people to make things for them and just hand over .psd's. It's better to explain to them how to do something. I've explained to the individual on what he needed to do in Photoshop, yet he complained it still had rough edges (which it always will, even in Illustrator) and said he knew how to do that, yada yada. Then your created logo had the same outcome, slight rough edges. Explained to him that all programs do it, then he agrees.. so I showed him how to do it, I guess he just didn't feel like doing it, oh well.

Anyways, from one artist to another, I'm trying to help him learn to do it so that he can do things himself and eventually become another artist here than can help others.. I'm not going to spoon feed people..

Sorry but we both just did twice the work for something he can already do. If you don't mind wasting your time, go you.. but I certainly mind.

Mockage
  • Mockage

Fljótavík

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

He wanted the proper way, not the lazy way (if you didnt get it, your method was the lazy way).

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

:^:

WesternMotorcycleCo.
  • WesternMotorcycleCo.

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:59 PM Edited by TPenterprise, 14 August 2014 - 01:59 PM.

Noone said that it was easy.. but a lot of the people asking for requests are those that have Photoshop themselves. Notice when they ask for .psd's.. Sorry, but I'm not going to do the work because someone is lazy or doesn't have the urge to learn themselves. I don't need a reminder, I've put enough time and effort into this section, even headed this section at one point, so I certainly don't need a reminder.

They'll never learn anything if they keep asking for people to make things for them and just hand over .psd's. It's better to explain to them how to do something. I've explained to the individual on what he needed to do in Photoshop, yet he complained it still had rough edges (which it always will, even in Illustrator) and said he knew how to do that, yada yada. Then your created logo had the same outcome, slight rough edges. Explained to him that all programs do it, then he agrees.. so I showed him how to do it, I guess he just didn't feel like doing it, oh well.

Anyways, from one artist to another, I'm trying to help him learn to do it so that he can do things himself and eventually become another artist here than can help others.. I'm not going to spoon feed people..

Sorry but we both just did twice the work for something he can already do. If you don't mind wasting your time, go you.. but I certainly mind.

As Mockage posted above, I wanted the proper way yet you still don't seem to understand that. I didn't ask for anyone to spoon feed me, I've done enough requests for people on here too, it's simply one thing I could not do so I asked if someone with more experience could either do it for me or explain how to do it. Mockage did both. Nothing to do with being lazy, and the fact that I asked him to explain it shows I obviously wanted to learn. The method you posted isn't as good as the method Mockage posted. Get over it and accept the fact that sometimes people know more than you do.

Don't let that "Most Helpful" badge go to your head.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

I know there is a proper way to cut font out of a shape but I can't do it.

You asked that and I showed you how you can do that. Then you tried to say 'don't mean to offend you but did you read the OP at all?' .. yep, pretty sure I did man and you went on about that's not what I said, yada yada, but you didn't explain in your first post exactly what you were looking for.. all I saw was you basically forgot how to cut text out and I gave you a technique on how to do it. Then you asked if someone can just do the request or tell you. That's why I claimed 'lazy', because I know you can use photoshop, I've seen you showcase the same Western logo over and over the last few weeks. That's when I get irritated because when people that can do the work themselves ask for someone else to do it. I understand if it's some complicated job or above your experience level but what you're asking is something you've done before. So I didn't understand why you couldn't just do it yourself.

I'm quite sure everyone here or a majority here knows more than I do about graphics as I've only been doing it going on 2yrs.. I'm still an amateur, so nothing has gotten to my head bud. You said you kept getting jagged edges, then when Mockage produced his work I only pointed out that it still had jagged edges that you were trying to avoid. Either technique works just fine and will produce the same outcome man. I've learned the technique I used from some of the most skilled designers out there, they have plenty of tutorials up on the net.

Anyways, glad he helped and you took his advice, that's what we're here for. Everyone has their own way of doing things.. but as far as jagged edges, you'll still have them, his way or mine.. reason being because it's all pixels, they're squared.

Mockage
  • Mockage

Fljótavík

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:57 PM

lol

For the record, they're not pixels because it's not a raster image. It was done in Illustrator, so no pixels involved. Do your research and stop the petty quarreling.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

For the record, raster images (bitmaps) actually have pixels. Do your research, pal.

Mockage
  • Mockage

Fljótavík

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

I know that? I said it wasn't a raster image. lrn2read, pal.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users