80's style soundtrack?

4 replies to this topic
Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:23 AM

Has anyone noticed, in GTA V the ambient score sounds very much like it's trying emulate 80's or early 90's songs. I mean, on the soundtrack Rich Man's Plaything sounds like it would fit perfectly on a station like Wildstyle in Vice City, and North Yankton Memories sounds like an 80's indie rock. We Were Set Up also has a similar drum beat to In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins. And this isn't even counting all the unreleased tracks or in-game alternates.

Do you think Rockstar did this on purpose, because they know the fans like the soundtracks of games like SA, VC and VCS?

Severe
  • Severe

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:41 AM

LSRR and Non-Stop Pop are pretty 80s-y as well. I think a bit of Channel X might be as well, but I don't know too much about punk.

A certain 'retro-sound' or 'feel' is pretty popular these days, look at Kavinsky or Daft Punk.

But yeah, I think it was, to give it a lighter atmosphere, particularly compared to IV, maybe by ringing back to the lighter, popular titles like SA and VC . 

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

Notorious fan of underground electronic music and Molly Schultz

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

Everyone forgot about III and LCS as it seems :(

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

I never looked at those songs as being 80s influenced. If anything, they remind me of generic crime movie scores/soundtracks, which is likely seeing as that was what Rockstar was trying to emulate. However, there is one song that feels very 80s influenced from the score:

It's probably just me, but the synthesizer that comes in at 1:20 reminds me a lot of Miami Vice, if anything specifically, Crockett's theme, which coincidentally, was on Vice City's Emotion 98.3.

• maxpaynefan likes this

PooyanCyrus
  • PooyanCyrus

iFruit fanboys are idiots

• Members
  • Mars
  • Best Concept Story 2013 "Grand Theft Auto: Ultimate"

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

Most of score songs are not really 80's-influenced.

However, I agree you on 'North Yankton Memories'; Although it sounded like an 80's song, it was too hilarious.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users