Photo

Your First Salary

52 replies to this topic
Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:07 AM

Congrats! You earned it!.. It was indeed an awesome feeling.. since the first month was quite honestly embarassing with constant nitpicking, along side other responsibilities that took some time to get used to. I quickly realised no matter what I read in books and scored in exams, when I watched others working, among absolutely brilliant workforce and inspiring seniors, I lacked a ton of practical knowledge, and skills. But, what was really amazing, I was paid almost as good as many other salaried positions meaning that I was not only paid an amount for my work under 30 days of observation, but I also gained their trust and confidence too.
I believe it was really cool that I started off early then wasting time behind nothing worthwhile.
  • Th3MaN1 likes this

the young hooligan
  • the young hooligan

Big Evil

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

First job, got $25/hour. Ridiculous considering all I did was pour people beer. 

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:40 AM

Jesus, did you have to do it naked or something?
  • F4L? likes this

Biohazard Abyss!
  • Biohazard Abyss!

Cherish your life.

• Members
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:14 AM

First job was minimum wage, and it was a mere summer job, so all money made was put towards my first car, which crapped out on me a few months later.  When someone is selling you a 1999 Infiniti for $1,200, don't be stupid like me, rightfully assume it's going to be a beat-up car.

the young hooligan
  • the young hooligan

Big Evil

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

Jesus, did you have to do it naked or something?

Might have made it more exciting, only people that ever went there were old pensioners. No idea how that place made any money, but heck I wasn't complaining.

Twilight Sky
  • Twilight Sky

Driftin' at the apex, sliding into 1rst.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:36 AM Edited by Twilight Sky, 11 August 2014 - 11:37 AM.

Worked as an assistant supervisor for the YMCA. It was a summer job offered by the school I was at. 5 days a week, off on weekends, 5.15 per hour, 5 hours a day. A lot of my early gaming habits was funded by the money I was making from that job.

Still remains the least stressful job I've had.

Now I'm working a full time job, making twice the current federal minimum wage, and I have to say to the folks praising overtime: Overtime is good in small doses. Too much and tax starts ripping your paycheck apart.

Aljohnk
  • Aljohnk

*Intensifies*

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:24 PM Edited by Aljohnk, 11 August 2014 - 12:25 PM.

Well I remember when I had $89 dollars as a first time salary in my bank account I was so happy then the next day I bought lots of burgers in Hungry Jacks(Burger King in US) non-stop.

Insert-Coin-To-Continue
  • Insert-Coin-To-Continue

Credits: 0

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

$12 per hour for an after school job. 

First full time job was $6 per hour.

• Th3MaN1 likes this

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

It can't be for nothing

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

You guys are lucky. I only got paid just more than a $1 an hour for my first job...

CjLosSantos
  • CjLosSantos

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

my first job was washing high end cars for my uncle $100 a car would do 10 cars a week so a $1,000 a week if your wondering I hand washed them
  • Th3MaN1 likes this

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

Worked as an assistant supervisor for the YMCA. It was a summer job offered by the school I was at. 5 days a week, off on weekends, 5.15 per hour, 5 hours a day. A lot of my early gaming habits was funded by the money I was making from that job.

Still remains the least stressful job I've had.

Now I'm working a full time job, making twice the current federal minimum wage, and I have to say to the folks praising overtime: Overtime is good in small doses. Too much and tax starts ripping your paycheck apart.

Eh, I guess. I get good overtime rates so I do all I can get. A busy month can almost double my take home pay if I work the right shifts.

Any hugely over taxed wages get rebated at the end of the financial year anyway.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Faceless, Nameless, Endless War

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:31 PM

First job was casual/contract as a lifeguard. £7.15 an hour. After a while I trained to teach swimming so about £9.50 then.

First "proper" salaried job with perks and the like was a fixed contract as a researcher in the higher education industry. £1,000 a month before tax.

First annual salary role was as an intelligence analyst in the private security industry. Started on about £19k plus bonuses and overtime.
  • Th3MaN1 likes this

hvcciookay
  • hvcciookay

• Members
  • Wallis-And-Futuna

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:51 PM

First real job was Mickey D's @ $8.00 / hr. If i would would hit 28 hours a week to stay under full-time to avoid benefits like i'm supposed to, i would have made $11648 before taxes. My first real salaried job i'm at now as a Deck Supervisor nets me about 18k after taxes. I also work as a regular lifeguard at another pool for about 20 hours a week and i get roughly 300 every 2 weeks there to just stash in savings and forget about. Only worked there since june, but my prior experience should hopefully get me a promotion to Headguard in the fall season.

• Th3MaN1 likes this

Linc.
  • Linc.

Betty, don't start up with your white zone sh*t again.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

I work at my local McDonalds for AUD$12 an hour which isn't too bad, the big supermarket chains pay less.

Annual statement said I made $6,002 for the year which will turn to sh*t next year when I turn 18 and start getting taxed.
  • Th3MaN1 likes this

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

The Night Is Like A Dagger, Long And Cold And Sharp

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:55 AM Edited by gtamann123, 15 August 2014 - 12:56 AM.

My first real Job was commission based and I usually made about $4000 per month before tax and $2500 after taxes. But If I had a sh*tty week then I could make as low as $350 for that week so it was up and down. My new job is going to be hourly based with only a little bit of emphasis on commission which I prefer. 

The Hippie
  • The Hippie

I'm gonna be all the way out there...In the Wild!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:05 AM

Working at some sh*tty ice cream warehouse. Loading up big tubs of ice cream onto a skid in a -30 degree Celsius freezer. Boss was a big ass Russian guy who wasn't very nice. Got minimum wage which is $10.25 here. Current status = unemployed.

Greenline
  • Greenline

Page 3 Girl

• Members
  • Iran

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:38 AM

Working at some sh*tty ice cream warehouse. Loading up big tubs of ice cream onto a skid in a -30 degree Celsius freezer. Boss was a big ass Russian guy who wasn't very nice.

Did the KGB catch you listening to Radio Free Europe or something?

The Hippie
  • The Hippie

I'm gonna be all the way out there...In the Wild!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:58 AM

Working at some sh*tty ice cream warehouse. Loading up big tubs of ice cream onto a skid in a -30 degree Celsius freezer. Boss was a big ass Russian guy who wasn't very nice.

Did the KGB catch you listening to Radio Free Europe or something?

Couldn't get a signal from the dark abyss of the freezer, with walls of chocolate fudge brownie indulgence and rocky road.

Sheelamariner
  • Sheelamariner

Player Hater

• Members
  • India

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

My First Salary is 5000 bucks.

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Enslaved

• The Connection
  • Finland
  • Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:18 AM Edited by Slave Boy, 21 August 2014 - 09:20 AM.

My first salary was small, because I was only 15 when I started in my first job.
We had salary every 2 weeks, not monthly like it's nowadays.
I bought 1 soft drink, bag of cigarettes and 40 grams of Moroccoan hash.

Wayne Daniels
  • Wayne Daniels

Cattle Rustler

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:18 AM Edited by gta_aus, 21 August 2014 - 10:19 AM.

My first pay was from mowing lawns around my neighborhood. $60 a lawn its great making money that way.

That's what I do for work, and if you've got a few houses on the same street it's an easy $100+ an hour if you smash them out quickly...money for jam 👍

LanaDelRey888
  • LanaDelRey888

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:33 PM

Congrats to OP, sounds well deserved. Reminds me of myself years ago.

First thing I did after the check was cleared, I took my parents out to eat. Nothing expensive but still decent - a good steak outlet - and ordered al I/they ever wanted for them.

My parents were really poor and life was difficult for us, and eating out was a privilege we rarely experienced. It was one of the best days of my life to show my parents that I've entered adulthood and started earning some of my own to help them.

It's not about how much my salary was or how expensive was the bill - it's all about what you do with the money.

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

Bei mir laufen die Geschfte wie in Southpark Mister Hankey

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

250€ from Vattenfall from my first internship during my bachelor studies. Now at BMW for my second internship during my master studies it is more than twice as much. I get along with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users