Quantcast

» «
Photo

Need For Speed: Second Era Discussion

117 replies to this topic
Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:19 PM Edited by Lazyboy., 11 August 2014 - 01:21 PM.

Because the games are entirely different, gameplay wise, theme wise, everything. The only similarities are the name and genre.

Could a mod rename this to [UE] Need for Speed General ?

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

Does it matter? They're still NFS. Though I disagree on theme wise, they're all basically the same. Drive fast, wreck sh*t, run from cops..

Only adding to the confusion by making two topics when you can just have one topic for all NFS games.

• Secura, Android and Insert-Coin-To-Continue like this

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:29 PM

Does it matter? They're still NFS. Though I disagree on theme wise, they're all basically the same. Drive fast, wreck sh*t, run from cops..

Only adding to the confusion by making two topics when you can just have one topic for all NFS games.

I guess you never got into Underground or something, because racing games have to be a lot more than "drive fast wreck sh*t" to be amazing.

Underground, Most Wanted, Carbon, they're focus on street racing, with the same overarching story, customisation, buying and selling cars, doing different race types etc. You don't just jump in and pay, you have to get used to the car, the way it handles and so on.

You could argue that GTA is all the same. Steal cars, shoot people. Every category of game is "the same" when you bring it down to such a basic level like you have.
  • Jeone likes this

dice
  • dice

love_triangle

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:53 PM Edited by dice, 11 August 2014 - 01:54 PM.

Why aren't the newer games, like Most Wanted 2012 or Shirt classified as progressive? Because you didn't grew up with them? They have the same elements with which you're describing the older ones.
  • Secura and Android like this

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:09 PM Edited by Lazyboy., 11 August 2014 - 02:10 PM.

Why aren't the newer games, like Most Wanted 2012 or Shirt classified as progressive? Because you didn't grew up with them? They have the same elements with which you're describing the older ones.

Shift is track-based by a different developer. I like Shift, as long as it's kept as a separate series.

Most Wanted is certainly not a progression baed game. It has none of the elements that Underground era had.

In Most Wanted, you start off with a Porsche, or an Aston Martin, I don't remember. The point is, an Aston Martin as a first car? Seriously?
You don't buy or sell your cars, you find them. You don't customise them. There's no storyline, nothing. The handling was dumbded down to Criterion's "drift every corner like Han Lue" model which I HATE.

I hate Most Wanted and I hate Criterion for f*cking up Need for Speed.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

See man, you're using your own opinions to dictate this topic. Instead of having a topic where all lovers and gamers of NFS can come in and chat is just ruined.. because you rather have them discuss games you preferably like.

Sorry dude but some of us have been playing NFS long before you've ever played it. They deserve to be discussed in this topic. End of story.

Anyways, Android created a Hot Pursuit 2 topic the other day, for any of you that are fans of the older ones as well, I suggest you head over to it. Also, Android, if you wish, just have Voodoo change your topic title to an actual NFS Discussion. Be more than glad to have a proper NFS discussion there. :^:

• Android and Insert-Coin-To-Continue like this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Big Homie

• Members
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

By Lazyboy.'s logic we should have a separate forum for the 2D Era GTA's since they are part of the "classics" era.
  • GunWrath likes this

Xyn
  • Xyn

ʘn Wiᵰgs ʘᵮ Lɇaᶑ

• The Yardies
  • Mexico

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

Ah NFS3:Hot Pursuit on the ps1....to be young again.

Anyways, Op's list of NFS games, while enjoyable, are not what made nor put NFS on the map...anyone worth their weight in piss already knew about NFS before Underground, Underground simply took the series in a new direction due to the immense popularity of the Fast & Furious franchise at the time.

Why would you WANT the Exotic NFS games over Progression NFS games? You have your stock Ferrari, no problem. You want EVERYONE to have a stock Ferrari? That's boring

It's called the Need for Speed...not the Need for Customization.

• 02fishera, Ermac., GunWrath and 1 other like this

Ermac.
  • Ermac.

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

Need for Speed: High Stakes was clearly the most Need for Speed, therefore the true Need for Speed game, and if you disagree you're objectively wrong.

37293-Need_for_Speed_-_High_Stakes_%5BNT

Just listen to that soundtrack. It's irrefutable. 

• B Dawg, GunWrath, Sting4S and 1 other like this

Tao Cheng
  • Tao Cheng

Man I'm fuuuucked up!

• Members
  • China

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

The best Need for Speed games are the ones made by Black Box. Not planning on getting any of the new games unless it's made by them which is less likely to happen.

• Lazyboy. likes this

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:39 PM Edited by Lazyboy., 11 August 2014 - 04:40 PM.

Wow, so many clueless people.

I don't go into the GTA 3D era sections and complain that 2D era games are better and should be discussed in that section.

This thread is for 2nd era NFS games. There are three eras. They are all different. Simple concept yet "ROOTS ROOTS ROOTS ROOTS ROOTS" is the only thing in your minds.

You think it's just me that splits them up? There are three eras of NFS, that's just fact. There are three eras of GTA, do say your opinion is wrong because of that? No, I don't.

Think I'l mention it again, you haven't quite caught onto it yet.

This topic is for the 2nd era of NFS games. Not my second era, the second era.

I wouldn't mind properly trying out the 1st era but if it's got a fanbase like you guys I'd rather stay away. Like seriously you're worse than Rivals/Most Wanted 2012/HP2010 fanboys.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Big Homie

• Members
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

What's the use of having a topic for every single era? Why don't you put them all in one topic?

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:56 PM Edited by Lazyboy., 11 August 2014 - 04:58 PM.

What's the use of having a topic for every single era? Why don't you put them all in one topic?

Because the three eras are, get this, ENTIRELY DIFFERENT.

Different developers, different handling models, different themes, different EVERYTHING. The ONLY thing that links the games is the name "Need for Speed"

I understand some may not know much about the way NFS works, but seriously, stop pretending that you do.

It's the same differences bwteen Call of Duty and Battlefield. Different developers, themes, mechanics, everything. You don't slap thm all under one thread called "games wat u shewt ppl wit"

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013
    Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Helpfulness Award [GTAF]

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:07 PM

But they are still the same brand, no?

Let's wrap up this little back and forth and put it to bed. This is either the main NFS topic for all games, or you title it differently and move on. We don't need a topic for every era because this is just the general gaming stub on a GTA forum and as you said it isn't popular enough to warrant a topic for every single installment. 

• Secura and maxpaynefan like this

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

Same brand is just about the only thing that holds it together. Having the same name doesn't make anyone like the game any more or less. EA just slapped the name NFS on because NFS name had some popularity.

I'd rename the topic to "Underground Era Discussion" but obviously I can't. Dx

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:33 PM

Same brand is just about the only thing that holds it together. Having the same name doesn't make anyone like the game any more or less. EA just slapped the name NFS on because NFS name had some popularity.

I'd rename the topic to "Underground Era Discussion" but obviously I can't. Dx

Triple_Mega_Facepalm_(when_even_a_double

Just let it go dude..

Anyways, since we have a NFS open topic now.. I wonder why Road & Track dropped their name from the NFS series? EA buy it out (the name) or did R&T drop their sponsorship?

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:16 PM

OK fine, if Lazy wants to talk about second gen only in here, we'll accommodate him. Edit your first post to reflect that and we'll go from there.

• Lazyboy. and Android like this

Android
  • Android

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for the help, Voodoo :^:

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

Thanks, Voodoo. :D

Anyways, this video is one of the funniest things I've seen for quite a while lol.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

What exactly are we doing?

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:53 AM Edited by B Dawg, 12 August 2014 - 09:54 AM.

Need for Speed: High Stakes was clearly the most Need for Speed, therefore the true Need for Speed game, and if you disagree you're objectively wrong.

37293-Need_for_Speed_-_High_Stakes_%5BNT

Just listen to that soundtrack. It's irrefutable. 

A time when soundtracks were the sh*t (awesome)

D3ADSH0T
  • D3ADSH0T

Don't hate, appreciate.

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:17 PM Edited by D3ADSH0T, 12 August 2014 - 07:36 PM.

I remember when my dad played Undercover on the PS2, he called me after a race and on the statistics, one of the cars had a top speed of 560 km/h!!! I was like wtf?

Tao Cheng
  • Tao Cheng

Man I'm fuuuucked up!

• Members
  • China

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:17 AM

I think I enjoyed those Need for Speed games because it's those start your way from the bottom to the top type of game. It makes the victory even sweeter. Don't get me wrong, all the ones since 2009 and up were fun and the exotic cars look nice and fast, but I just wasn't feeling it at all... I'm just sad that the fans of the franchise have been segregated over the years ever since Hot Pursuit came into play.

• LightningLord411 likes this

Dash5155
  • Dash5155

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:18 AM

I actually have played (and still own) every NFS from Hot Pursuit 2 to ProStreet.

I feel like Most Wanted 2005 and Carbon had the right balance of 2Fast2Furious and the origins of NFS.

You didn't take Honda Civics and build them into unrealistically fast and you also didn't magically pop up with a SuperHyperMegaPowWo speeding away from the cops for no reason. Plus the whole continuous story thing was a nice touch.

Everyone is going to hate me because I didn't say NFSU or some variation of Hot Pursuit :'(
  • LightningLord411 likes this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

I actually have played (and still own) every NFS from Hot Pursuit 2 to ProStreet.

I've got every NFS from Hot Pursuit 2 to Rivals. I didn't get the Run though as that game sucked. NFS Rivals is rubbish too. Hot Pursuit (2010) was mediocre. Most Wanted (2012) was actually fun I just wish there were more cars and a bigger map.

Dash5155
  • Dash5155

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:01 AM

I've got every NFS from Hot Pursuit 2 to Rivals.

I'm a bit jealous. I'm certain I wouldn't fall in love with the newer games (at least not right away) but I still wish I had them to play. How was your experience on HP 2010? Like controls and experience wise?

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:40 AM

First NFS game i ever played was NFS II, then it was High Stakes, and finally Porsche Unleashed. All 3 of them were the best in my book as NFS II and HS, features exotic cars, fun roads, and they even have seasons like Winter. I don't recall current ones even having Winter. Porsche Unleashed IMO is the most detailed NFS series. It had customized name plates, the head lights and hazard can be turned on and off, beautiful scenery, and the NPC animates like doing gear changes as you watch them during replay. In HS if you're a cop, you can actually drive NPC pursuit vehicles and switch as much as you like during the chase. There are also different police cars with their own decals, siren sound, for the location you choose. And for the fun of it, if cheats are enabled, then you can race with coach buses and some other non playable vehicles.

I also played some current ones like Most Wanted, UnderGround 2, UnderCover, and Shift. They all have their places and some will see them as the best NFS games they ever played, much like the 3 I like, was the best NFS I've ever played.

NFS HP 2010 is the current one that's similar to the old school NFS series.

One of my levels from the game and favorite car, La Nina

• Dash5155 likes this

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:16 AM Edited by Lazyboy., 16 August 2014 - 10:20 AM.

I've got every NFS from Hot Pursuit 2 to Rivals.

I'm a bit jealous. I'm certain I wouldn't fall in love with the newer games (at least not right away) but I still wish I had them to play. How was your experience on HP 2010? Like controls and experience wise?

HP2010 and after are the worst in the series, stay well away from those.

For HP2010...

- The map ius all the same, country road after country road with nothing interesting. If you're lucky, you might see the occasional NPC car every 600 miles.
- You're given supercars right at the start of the game. There's no progression, you don't buy and sell your cars you just have them.
- No customisation, no performance tuning or upgrades.
- All the cars handle exactly the same. Criterions's crappy "tap L2 to be Han Lue" handling.
- No storyline
- Piss poor car selection

The only good tghings about the game are graphics and soundtrack.
  • Dash5155 likes this

fclintonvu82738
  • fclintonvu82738

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:19 AM

My favourites from that era include NFSU1, NFSU2, and Most Wanted. Everything after that sucked arse IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users