Quantcast

» «
Photo

Need For Speed: Second Era Discussion

117 replies to this topic
lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:27 PM Edited by Lazyboy., 11 August 2014 - 07:27 PM.

Need For Speed Second Era General Discussion

This thread is for discussion of the Second Era NFS games, since there isn't a thread for it already, and it doesn't need individual threads for each game since it's not exactly popular at the moment.

These are the Second-Era NFS games we're counting in this thread.

- Need For Speed Underground -
- Need For Speed Underground 2 -
- Need For Speed Most Wanted '05 -
- Need For Speed Carbon -
- Need For Speed ProStreet -
- Need For Speed Undercover -

"P-P-ProStreet? BUT MUH STREET RACING"

Yes, I'm counting ProStreet because it's a Black Box game, it's a great game itself, and it has the progression that makes NFS games great, along with the customisation.

"B-B-BUT UNDERCOVER SUCKED"

Yeah, it sucked, but it's still a Black Box NFS game with the theme and progression that made NFS popular. 

------------------------------------

So anyways, I'm playing Undercover right now, and damn this game is hard. You probably remember it being easy. That's right, at launch people complained the game was easy. A few months after, a "difficulty patch" was released. The circuit races became INSANELY hard, while everything else was left piss easy. 

Little Audi TTs can smash your SRT8 Charger off the road, and overtake your Buggati Veyrons at 250mph. This game takes  the tightest rubberband ever known to man and shoves it right up your f*cking arse with the force of a thousand suns. It's ridiculous.

Next time you're playing whatever game, and complaining it's hard, go play NFS Undercover with the patches installed, then think about just how lucky you are.
  • A J likes this

the young hooligan
  • the young hooligan

Big Evil

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

I wouldn't even call them the 'true' NFS's. For me, it was all about the original Hot Pursuit and High Stakes. Wish they'd remaster either Hot Pursuit or it's sequel. They were dope.

As for the list, Most Wanted and Carbon were pretty sweet. Good cop chases.

• B Dawg, Ermacs, GunWrath and 3 others like this

lazy.
  • lazy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:48 PM Edited by Lazyboy., 10 August 2014 - 02:49 PM.

NFS Underground forward are the games that made NFS big. They're the true NFS games, most would agree. 

Hot Pursuit, High Stakes whatever, they have nothing on Most Wanted and Carbon.

In those games, all you have are supercars and long roads. Whe-hey. 

In Most Wanted and Carbon, you start off with the low level cars and work your way up to the supercars and long roads. Progression. 

For the past four years all we've had are the "Exotic" NFS games because they're cheaper to make. They get Criterion to copy paste Burnout's "HUR HUR DRIFT EVERY CORNER AT 600MPH" handling, get Lamborghini and Ferrari licenses, model some cars with their "pretty graphics" and push it out the door, with more DLC. Where's the story? The customisation? The progression? The city?

The last four NFS games pretty much ARE Hot Pursuit/High Stakes remastered.

It's time for Underground 3.
  • B Dawg and Nlwt like this

the young hooligan
  • the young hooligan

Big Evil

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:08 PM Edited by the young hooligan, 10 August 2014 - 03:09 PM.

Yeah I agree the last few NFS games were pretty much Burnout with cops. Hell I think one of the recent ones had the takedown mode taken straight from Burnout.

However, they're nothing like the orignal Hot Pursuit and High Stakes. Those 2 games pretty much summed up my childhood, probably why I speak so highly of them. The cars were awesome, and they both had genuinely good soundtracks too.

NFS should be about supercars and long roads. Maybe I'm just too nostalgic, why I haven't liked the recent games.

• B Dawg likes this

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

I don't care if the next NFS will be Underground, Hot Pursuit or god knows what, I just want it to be good. Slapping Frostbite on the game will only make it look better, not play better. But the fact that they are taking their time means that they are at least trying to make a better entry in the franchise. Let's hope it works out.

• ClaudeSpeed1911 and Hyperglide like this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

NFS Underground forward are the games that made NFS big. They're the true NFS games, most would agree. 

The last four NFS games pretty much ARE Hot Pursuit/High Stakes remastered.

Yeah, no.

• tuareg and Plank. like this

Jeone
  • Jeone

"banned in dc"

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

The undergrounds were brilliant becuse it's not about supercars or being a cop
  • lazy. likes this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

Exactly, two different breeds of NFS.

Hot Pursuit(s) (The originals) are the best to me.. while Underground was the best to me in a racing game with customization options.. but not the best NFS had to offer.

People automatically think NFSU and it's followers are better solely bc it had better graphics.. but I guarantee any gamer that played the old NFS versus the newer ones would say they put more hours into the old titles than the new.. and I'm sorry but the last f*cking additions to NFS were embarrassing.. it ruined the series.

NFS Shift had something going then just dropped off the map.. those were the only NFS titles I liked in the recent generation.

• the young hooligan and 02fishera like this

Jeone
  • Jeone

"banned in dc"

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

Exactly, two different breeds of NFS.

Hot Pursuit(s) (The originals) are the best to me.. while Underground was the best to me in a racing game with customization options.. but not the best NFS had to offer.

People automatically think NFSU and it's followers are better solely bc it had better graphics.. but I guarantee any gamer that played the old NFS versus the newer ones would say they put more hours into the old titles than the new.. and I'm sorry but the last f*cking additions to NFS were embarrassing.. it ruined the series.

NFS Shift had something going then just dropped off the map.. those were the only NFS titles I liked in the recent generation.

the need for speed shifts was okay but it dident feel like need for speed
  • lazy. likes this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:34 PM

Yeah, they took a more realistic approach to racing, I enjoyed them. I think they did a decent job at the more realistic racing.. executed it well. Especially loved the drifting courses.. could be challenging at times.. but the one figure 8 track was amazing.

lazy.
  • lazy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

Seriously GunWrath? You think NFS was big before Underground?

Underground 1 and 2 sold 11 million. The older NFS games didn't even come close to that. Neither do the new ones.

There is literally no reason for the exotic NFS games to be better than the true NFS games. As soon as you start you have a Porsche. Where's the progression? I have a Porsche, why should I carry on playing? To unlock a slightly faster Porsche? I can't even customise it.

kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:48 PM Edited by kipakolonyasi, 10 August 2014 - 04:50 PM.

Hot Pursuit 2 how can you not include Hot Pursuit 2 man. or NFS III

• the young hooligan likes this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:36 PM Edited by GunWrath, 10 August 2014 - 05:57 PM.

Seriously GunWrath? You think NFS was big before Underground?

Underground 1 and 2 sold 11 million. The older NFS games didn't even come close to that. Neither do the new ones.

There is literally no reason for the exotic NFS games to be better than the true NFS games. As soon as you start you have a Porsche. Where's the progression? I have a Porsche, why should I carry on playing? To unlock a slightly faster Porsche? I can't even customise it.

Games then weren't about progression, especially Need For Speed. It gave gamers the feel of having a sportscar in general. Noone wants to play a 'Hot Pursuit' type of game with f*cking Chevy Malibu's and Dodge Neon's, so of course they handed out sportscars, that was the reason behind NEED read it, FOR keep reading, SPEED.

Underground was successful because of fans of the series, the customization and the new generation of gaming. Graphics were improved along with developers and their visions being possible through technology. Who cares how many it's sold.. Call of Duty Black Ops II sold alot but it's still a sh*t game. If you want progression, play a realistic racing game.. NFS isn't intended for upgrades and start from a pinto to a lambo.. it's about putting the pedal to the metal and having fun. Something NFS forgot about over the years.. thanks to EA/sh*terion.

Oh and gaming wasn't as big as it was come the release of the original Xbox. Once Xbox came out, gaming started to boom again.. because then, PlayStation wasn't the only powerhouse. Also, NFS was pretty big in those days, trust me, I played the game so much that my old tv back then was etched with the HUD from the game, seriously, no joke. Back then, it went from 'Yo dude, let's play GoldenEye' to 'Yo dude, let's play NFS'.. it was very popular during it's time.. but again, the numbers of gamers then weren't as large until the new console hit the market.

• B Dawg, Ermacs and kipakolonyasi like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

The true NFS was NFS Hot Pursuit 2. Still the best NFS in my opinion. The 2010 NFS was a big flop in my eyes though.

• GunWrath likes this

Nick
  • Nick

knai

• Zaibatsu
  • None
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

My most favorites have to be Underground 2, Most Wanted, and then Hot Pursuit 2.

Recently, I don't think they're that great anymore, but I really like the new Most Wanted.

• Sting4S likes this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

My most favorites have to be Underground 2, Most Wanted, and then Hot Pursuit 2.

Recently, I don't think they're that great anymore, but I really like the new Most Wanted.

I don't know what is was about Most Wanted (2012) but I liked it too. I thought Rivals would be just as good but it sucked, I only played it for 2 days. The cops always chased me for simply cruising around at 55 mph I mean why?

• Nick likes this

Nick
  • Nick

knai

• Zaibatsu
  • None
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:45 PM Edited by Android, 10 August 2014 - 06:45 PM.

I liked it because it was a nice, easy, fun arcade game to play. You could literally turn your Xbox or PS3 on and pop the game in and once it's done loading, you're immediately into the game. I love that.

I know a lot of people want realism but some times it's nice to have a break here and there. I loved searching around for the cars on the map and smashing through the billboards.

• Sting4S likes this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:47 PM

Let me also throw this out there, if you're going to create a General Discussion thread for the series, you need to include The Need For Speed through NFS: HP2.

Can't be stingy because you don't like them.. 

• Nick and Hyperglide like this

en
  • en

Get Cage'd

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:08 PM

Where the fudge is Hot Pursuit?

tumblr_m4t9d1ctUd1qzz8m7o1_500.gif

• Ermacs and GunWrath like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

I liked it because it was a nice, easy, fun arcade game to play. You could literally turn your Xbox or PS3 on and pop the game in and once it's done loading, you're immediately into the game. I love that.

I know a lot of people want realism but some times it's nice to have a break here and there. I loved searching around for the cars on the map and smashing through the billboards.

It reminded me of Burnout in a way, which EA needs to bring back.

• Nick likes this

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

I might have laughed, if I had remembered how. Max Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

Underground 1-2
Most wanted 05 version
Those games we're the best.
  • lazy. and Nick like this

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:52 PM

I completely lost interest in the NFS series years ago, and I don't even own any of the games anymore..

I played every game from NFS2 SE (which I loved back in the day) up until the first Most Wanted (although I played a bit of Pro Street as well). Most Wanted was the best imo, followed by Underground.

Racing games in general don't interest me that much these days to be honest.

02fishera
  • 02fishera

PSN ID: TeamTango91

• The Yardies
  • England

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

There's one rather large reason why there's plenty who much prefer the "exotic" NFS games (Myself included). Escapism. 

It's a lot harder to find that when you're doing laps around some generic city street in a common Ford Focus or Peugeot 206, no matter how heavily the car is customized.

• the young hooligan likes this

lazy.
  • lazy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:25 PM Edited by Lazyboy., 10 August 2014 - 08:28 PM.

There's one rather large reason why there's plenty who much prefer the "exotic" NFS games (Myself included). Escapism. 

It's a lot harder to find that when you're doing laps around some generic city street in a common Ford Focus or Peugeot 206, no matter how heavily the car is customized.

Except you work your way up to the Lamborghinis and Aston Martins. PROGRESSION

Playing the game takes you through all the different cars, moving from borough to borough, customising your cars, buying new cars, doing a variety of races.

The Exotic NFS games are arcade games. The type of game you go down to the seaside, put 50p into an arcade machine and drift around in a Lamborghini for two minutes.

Why would you WANT the Exotic NFS games over Progression NFS games? You have your stock Ferrari, no problem. You want EVERYONE to have a stock Ferrari? That's boring, you didn't even earn the Ferrari, you just get it at the start. You don''t even earn the drifts either, you tap L2 and wheyhey you're suddenly Han Lue.

dannybatesu9387
  • dannybatesu9387

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:28 PM

NFS MW (the original) is my favourite. Everything after Carbon was terrible IMO.

lazy.
  • lazy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:35 PM Edited by Lazyboy., 10 August 2014 - 08:40 PM.

It reminded me of Burnout in a way, which EA needs to bring back.

No!

Burnout is Burnout. Burnout is not Need for Speed.

Not like Criterion are making any more Burnouts lol, they can f*ck off back to making indie games after what they did to NFS.

Anyways numbers time. People get scared when they see numbers. >:3

Hot Pursuit 2 sold only 4 million
Underground 11 million.
Underground 2 11 million.
Most Wanted sold 10 million.
Carbon selling 9 million.
Pro Street 9 million.
Undercover 6.5 million.
Shift 5 million.
Hot Pursuit 2010 5.5 million.
Shift 2 1 million.
The Run 4 million.
Most Wanted 2012 sold 4.5 million.

See what people want? The majority don't want exotic NFS. If it was so good, why did Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit sell 4.5/5.5 million?
  • Nick likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

You go OTB more than me man!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:40 PM

I wouldn't want old-school pre-underground exocit NFS games anymore, because lets face it, modern day supercars are ugly as f*ck. Might as well make HD remasters.

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

I might have laughed, if I had remembered how. Max Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:43 PM

Would anyone recommend playing need for speed carbon

02fishera
  • 02fishera

PSN ID: TeamTango91

• The Yardies
  • England

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

Except you work your way up to the Lamborghinis and Aston Martins. PROGRESSION

Playing the game takes you through all the different cars, moving from borough to borough, customising your cars, buying new cars, doing a variety of races.

The Exotic NFS games are arcade games. The type of game you go down to the seaside, put 50p into an arcade machine and drift around in a Lamborghini for two minutes.

Why would you WANT the Exotic NFS games over Progression NFS games? You have your stock Ferrari, no problem. You want EVERYONE to have a stock Ferrari? That's boring, you didn't even earn the Ferrari, you just get it at the start. You don''t even earn the drifts either, you tap L2 and wheyhey you're suddenly Han Lue.

Have you bothered to play any of the older games properly? There is progression. Sure, it's a mixture of simple points collecting and and completing challenges, but it's still progression. The best cars in the games weren't readily available and you sure as hell had to work a lot harder to unlock them than you do in any of the games you listed.

How about opening your eyes to the fact that everyone has their own preferences. Just because you find it boring, it doesn't mean that everyone else feels the same way. I'd take a balanced racer with stock cars where the emphasis is on the player's skill rather than who has the shinier toys any day of the week. 

Yes, because you had to work so very hard to earn drifts in games like Underground. The races in those games felt so slow paced and scripted. Winning them was just a case of going through the motions.

• Tommy., Ermacs and GunWrath like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

You go OTB more than me man!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:48 PM Edited by B Dawg, 10 August 2014 - 08:53 PM.

Would anyone recommend playing need for speed carbon

Only for the Muscle Cars, and some pretty awesome tuning options to modify bodykits and stuff. Drifting is ruined. Campaign is too short. You have to either grind or use a starter car only or hacks to get a certain bonus muscle car. Then there's bonus cars and parts only obtainable via multiplayer.

It's a dissapointing sequel to Most Wanted or the Underground games.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users