Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is Claude the most overrated protagonist in GTA history?

322 replies to this topic
Alchemist
  • Alchemist

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:19 PM

In my opinion, Claude isn't the most overrated protagonist in the GTA Series. CJ seems to be overrated much more.

I agree with you on that. I don't understand what's so special about either of them honestly. The games were good, but one of them didn't even talk - and the other followed a cliche character development.

Stoney0503
  • Stoney0503

Buster, Straight Buster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:23 PM

I cringe whenever someone calls the GTA 3 Claude "Claude Speed".

• American Viking likes this

Tomasak
  • Tomasak

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:24 PM

Blame gta wikia

Stoney0503
  • Stoney0503

Buster, Straight Buster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:33 PM

Blame gta wikia

And the people who treat GTA 3 as if it was the first game in the series.

• BlackSnow176 likes this

Xing of Virtue
  • Xing of Virtue

Life makes no sense when fish are gay.

• BUSTED!
  • Antarctica

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:44 PM Edited by Xing of Virtue, 22 September 2015 - 08:49 PM.

Blame gta wikia

And the newcomers who mistake Johnny for Niko in V.

Stoney0503
  • Stoney0503

Buster, Straight Buster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:48 PM Edited by Stoney0503, 22 September 2015 - 08:49 PM.

Blame gta wikia

And the newcomers who think Niko was the guy whom Trevor killed.

Wat.

Never heard of those people, but similarly people can't even pronounce Johnny Klebitz' name right:

(Proceed with caution)

Spoiler

JONNY KILL BITS

• Mr. Fartenhate likes this

Mr. Fartenhate
  • Mr. Fartenhate

don't get close

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:54 AM

No love for CJ ITT, I hear people down in Mexico love him.. Claude isn't overrated at all, if there's a protagonist that's overrated it's probably Niko

BULLSH*T
YOU TAKE THAT BACK YOU MONSTER
  • TheOtherRyan, Midnight Hitman and BlackSnow176 like this

CynicalRise
  • CynicalRise

ironic and edgy

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:13 AM

No love for CJ ITT, I hear people down in Mexico love him.. Claude isn't overrated at all, if there's a protagonist that's overrated it's probably Niko

BULLSH*T
At least on the forums he is. Although defiantly CJ is overrated. Now, WTF. YOU WILL TAKE THAT BACK OR THE LOST WILL PERFORM A FULL OUT ASSAULT.

d nice
  • d nice

Street Cat

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:12 AM Edited by Johnny Spaz, 23 September 2015 - 03:13 AM.

BULLSH*T
Lol chill bro, he's still my fave protag.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:06 PM

i still find cj the most overrated protagonist the sh*t he does just because people ask him is f*cking ridiculous 

As a black guy myself, I pretty much agree. I don't really think CJ is the MOST overrated, but he is pretty overrated because people like him more for his customizations. To be honest, if San Andreas didn't have any of those customizations (the ability to lift weights and all of that) or fighting styles, then nobody would give a f*ck about CJ personally.

Yeah he is a bitch. His character was all over the place.

• Midnight Hitman likes this

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None
  • Best Poster [Gaming] 2015
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2014

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:44 PM Edited by Daz, 27 September 2015 - 06:47 PM.

What a load of bollocks.

The reason you hear more about him in later years, especially now is that almost every protagonist since then has been a completely f*cking awful annoying little sh*t.

With Tommy Vercetti, I think it was a bit more of a novelty to get some A list actors, so I didn't mind all that much, and the character was at least somewhat decent. It was just the odd occasion that he might shout some random crap while free-roaming which would get repetitive and annoying. And with San Andreas, the game being magnificent, and an enjoyable storyline, CJ was still a god damn annoying prick. And for the HD era, don't even get me started, every one of them aside from maybe some of Luiz, were completely and utterly terrible.

The reason why at least myself miss the days of good old fido, is that I don't like it where the character I play as does and acts in a way that I didn't choose. The entire game you really barely needed to say anything, it was all on the table and you knew what was going on. Now we get annoying personalities forced upon us and we have to not only live with that in the storyline but in free roam as well.

I do not give a sh*t about his back story.

I do not give a sh*t about his family.

I do not give a sh*t about his whiney ass problems.

I just want a character that shuts the f*ck up and lets me portray the plot in my own way.

I love a good storyline and plot, but only when I choose to invest into it, when it becomes forced on me, the ambient dialog becomes irritating and inevitably ends up with me hating the awful f*cker.

Take it for what you will, Claude had the option to be whatever you wanted him to be, he never went against the grain of your own design.

Go play something else then, this is gta.

How do you know I didn't?

What a f*cking moronic response. And this is NOT GTA, if you actually understand that GTA3 came before GTA4 and GTA5 you might understand that was the original and truer way things were. You are making a complete arse out of yourself by saying that.

What a load of bollocks.

The reason you hear more about him in later years, especially now is that almost every protagonist since then has been a completely f*cking awful annoying little sh*t.

With Tommy Vercetti, I think it was a bit more of a novelty to get some A list actors, so I didn't mind all that much, and the character was at least somewhat decent. It was just the odd occasion that he might shout some random crap while free-roaming which would get repetitive and annoying. And with San Andreas, the game being magnificent, and an enjoyable storyline, CJ was still a god damn annoying prick. And for the HD era, don't even get me started, every one of them aside from maybe some of Luiz, were completely and utterly terrible.

The reason why at least myself miss the days of good old fido, is that I don't like it where the character I play as does and acts in a way that I didn't choose. The entire game you really barely needed to say anything, it was all on the table and you knew what was going on. Now we get annoying personalities forced upon us and we have to not only live with that in the storyline but in free roam as well.

I just want a character that shuts the f*ck up and lets me portray the plot in my own way.

I love a good storyline and plot, but only when I choose to invest into it, when it becomes forced on me, the ambient dialog becomes irritating and inevitably ends up with me hating the awful f*cker.

Take it for what you will, Claude had the option to be whatever you wanted him to be, he never went against the grain of your own design.

Well go play a f*cking RPG then

GTA was never about your story. Going by your post..I don't think you love a good storyline and plot.

If Rockstar followed what people like you wanted we would have sh*t stories and sh*t bland protags.

You just completely contradicted yourself.

Is it about your story or not? Which is it?

The reason Fido was good because he was a blank slate, that you could project any characteristic type to. There was nothing he did that might break your own immersion behind your own conjured up theme for him.

In GTA3 you could do any range of mission and each would be unique and in itself it's own storyline and story path. The current games build up a character a certain way and if you dislike that route they have taken you are stuck with it and the entire game becomes sh*t because of it. That is because the person you took missions from was it's own theme set. In 4 and 5 they scrapped the idea of being able to different types of missions and in different ways in favour for making the playable characters that mission giver and playing the entire game that way.

It was the same in GTA1, London, 2 and 3. And it was a good working formula. At least in San Andreas you could leave all the hood bullsh*t behind and move on. You can't do that with the HD era games. No character evolution, just a dead end.

I would much rather have someone who shuts the f*ck up, or says what the audience would be thinking, instead of some seriously cliché terrible ass over the top annoying characters slinging the N word every two seconds, shouting and being a maniac for no good reason other than the sake of it. No depth or layers to any of the characters, just pure stereotypes that are boring as f*ck only there to please the under 18 fanbase.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:52 PM Edited by Journey_95, 30 September 2015 - 03:54 PM.

What a load of bollocks.

Go play something else then, this is gta.

How do you know I didn't?

What a f*cking moronic response. And this is NOT GTA, if you actually understand that GTA3 came before GTA4 and GTA5 you might understand that was the original and truer way things were. You are making a complete arse out of yourself by saying that.

What a load of bollocks.

Well go play a f*cking RPG then

GTA was never about your story. Going by your post..I don't think you love a good storyline and plot.

If Rockstar followed what people like you wanted we would have sh*t stories and sh*t bland protags.

You just completely contradicted yourself.

Is it about your story or not? Which is it?

The reason Fido was good because he was a blank slate, that you could project any characteristic type to. There was nothing he did that might break your own immersion behind your own conjured up theme for him.

In GTA3 you could do any range of mission and each would be unique and in itself it's own storyline and story path. The current games build up a character a certain way and if you dislike that route they have taken you are stuck with it and the entire game becomes sh*t because of it. That is because the person you took missions from was it's own theme set. In 4 and 5 they scrapped the idea of being able to different types of missions and in different ways in favour for making the playable characters that mission giver and playing the entire game that way.

It was the same in GTA1, London, 2 and 3. And it was a good working formula. At least in San Andreas you could leave all the hood bullsh*t behind and move on. You can't do that with the HD era games. No character evolution, just a dead end.

I would much rather have someone who shuts the f*ck up, or says what the audience would be thinking, instead of some seriously cliché terrible ass over the top annoying characters slinging the N word every two seconds, shouting and being a maniac for no good reason other than the sake of it. No depth or layers to any of the characters, just pure stereotypes that are boring as f*ck only there to please the under 18 fanbase.

Of course its not about the player's story, this isn't a f*cking RPG.

And no the concept wouldn't work now. GTA 1, 2+ 3 were fun for their time but if all the GTA games were like that it would be terrible.

What kind of "character evolution" do you want? Just for characters to neglect their backstory etc. and just become blank slates so you can enjoy the game?

And what "audience" are you talking about? Most people like having good characters as protags. Funny hearing the word "depth" from you, how would your terrible player self insert have any?

Niko, Michael etc.all have depth and especially Niko is well written and certainly not a stereotype, have you even played the HD era games?

Claude isn't even a real character, since this isn't an RPG you can't even determine his personality, make choices etc. he is just an annoying f*cking mute.

Thank god not more people have this kind of sh*tty opinion. If they would we would be stuck with silly mutes.

• TheOtherRyan, Mr. Fartenhate and Midnight Hitman like this

Jesse.yancey320
  • Jesse.yancey320

"The Agent"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:44 PM

I believe Claude is just rated if not underrated, but definitely not overrated. Cj to me was an overrated pussy who never stuck me as an cold killer.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:58 PM Edited by PulpFiction, 01 October 2015 - 01:08 PM.

Of course its not about the player's story, this isn't a f*cking RPG.
And no the concept wouldn't work now. GTA 1, 2+ 3 were fun for their time but if all the GTA games were like that it would be terrible.

What kind of "character evolution" do you want? Just for characters to neglect their backstory etc. and just become blank slates so you can enjoy the game?
And what "audience" are you talking about? Most people like having good characters as protags. Funny hearing the word "depth" from you, how would your terrible player self insert have any?
Niko, Michael etc.all have depth and especially Niko is well written and certainly not a stereotype, have you even played the HD era games?

Claude isn't even a real character, since this isn't an RPG you can't even determine his personality, make choices etc. he is just an annoying f*cking mute.

Thank god not more people have this kind of sh*tty opinion. If they would we would be stuck with silly mutes.

Hit the nail on the head. If I want a mute character where I make up my own back story for him/her I'll stick to GTAO.

Like it or not there's a reason characters like Niko, Michael etc are so well recieved by the fanbase.
  • Journey_95 and Midnight Hitman like this

Chamberman20
  • Chamberman20

Injustice Delta Assult Squad

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:36 PM

No. I think it's Carl Johnson.

BlackSnow176
  • BlackSnow176

Cat in Shoes

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 04 October 2015 - 11:55 AM Edited by BlackSnow176, 04 October 2015 - 11:57 AM.

CJ is universally overrated for all the wrong reasons, because he's basically like your virtual pet that you need to feed and take care of.

Niko seems overrated in this forum from what I've seen. Though I can see why.

Trevor is just as universally overrated as CJ is, again for all the wrong reasons, "cuz hes crazy lulz".

Franklin is a bit overrated too, again for all the wrong reasons, due to his "similarities" with CJ (who is universally overrated). By "similarities" I really mean skin color. Franklin can kick CJ's butt all the way to GTA X.

And Tommy is just as overrated as CJ, Niko and Trevor are, but at least it's for the right reasons ._.

Spoiler

• TheOtherRyan and A8ul99 like this

Xing of Virtue
  • Xing of Virtue

Life makes no sense when fish are gay.

• BUSTED!
  • Antarctica

Posted 04 October 2015 - 01:39 PM

Because Luis lives a better life than his haters? Go figure.
  • theGTAking101 likes this

BlackSnow176
  • BlackSnow176

Cat in Shoes

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:39 PM Edited by BlackSnow176, 04 October 2015 - 03:39 PM.

Because Luis lives a better life than his haters? Go figure.

Michael seems to live the best life out of all protagonist, yet he doesn't have nearly as much haters as Luis. Also Franklin if you choose option C. And CJ after the last mission.

nickvick197
  • nickvick197

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:40 AM

To be honest, all the protagonists of GTA have their overrated moments. Claude is overrated because people seem to treat him like a third-person badass after his name was discovered. Tommy is overrated because while he's a genuine badass, he's not really THAT special and people tend to make him out like he's God. CJ is overrated because a lot of people seem to be more interested of the fact that he has so many physical skills and overlook his limited personality. Niko is self-explanatory. And don't even get me started on Trevor. So yeah. Outside of Vic, Toni, and Huang Lee, all the protagonists have their overrated moments. But I still like all of them, with the exception of Trevor, who was just a flat-out horrible character. Hell, he makes Catalina look innocent.

• theGTAking101 likes this

Stoney0503
  • Stoney0503

Buster, Straight Buster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:53 AM

Tommy is overrated because while he's a genuine badass, he's not really THAT special and people tend to make him out like he's God. 

he is a god

priase tommmy verceti

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:58 AM

Is this thread about fans defending their own favorites?
I'm sure some one will disagree with my favorite and tell me how much my favorite sucks as if I give a sh*t, so lets stay on topic.
I don't know why people want to even bother rating Claude.
Claude is the first protagonist of the 3D era, and there have been many great protags later.
So, I don't understand why OP even wants to debate over this since all the later protags are clearly much improved from not only gameplay but even by storytelling standpoint.
Claude is special.
Claude is different.
Claude is the first character of 3D GTA ( in fact, second after GTA 2 ) through whom I was having a blast playing the game during my younger days.
Thanks to Claude who made me a fan of the series, that later turned me into a fanboy of Tommy Vercetti, and CJ!
Claude has an importance in my gaming life that can't be replaced by any protagonist.
In short, Claude is above everything. I can't compare him and make him a joke with all the useless bickering about his downsides as a playable protagonist in the series.
Leave him alone. He live forever in my memories.

ChickenAndBeer
  • ChickenAndBeer

You'll cowards dont even smoke crack

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:13 AM

Your mom is the most overrated protagonist ever.

But seriously, no. Claude is a blank slate. No personality. Which is what I like about him, he's supposed to represent the player.

• theGTAking101 and BlackSnow176 like this

Boyz2Society
  • Boyz2Society

Rat

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:35 PM

Is this thread about fans defending their own favorites?
I'm sure some one will disagree with my favorite and tell me how much my favorite sucks as if I give a sh*t, so lets stay on topic.
I don't know why people want to even bother rating Claude.
Claude is the first protagonist of the 3D era, and there have been many great protags later.
So, I don't understand why OP even wants to debate over this since all the later protags are clearly much improved from not only gameplay but even by storytelling standpoint.
Claude is special.
Claude is different.
Claude is the first character of 3D GTA ( in fact, second after GTA 2 ) through whom I was having a blast playing the game during my younger days.
Thanks to Claude who made me a fan of the series, that later turned me into a fanboy of Tommy Vercetti, and CJ!
Claude has an importance in my gaming life that can't be replaced by any protagonist.
In short, Claude is above everything. I can't compare him and make him a joke with all the useless bickering about his downsides as a playable protagonist in the series.
Leave him alone. He live forever in my memories.

Congratulations. I'll give you a tangible trophy for your comment. (caustically speaking)

• Midnight Hitman likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users