Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is Claude the most overrated protagonist in GTA history?

285 replies to this topic
BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:25 PM

Just wanted to say this.....

Spoiler

QuestLove
  • QuestLove

Comrade

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:41 PM Edited by QuestLove, 28 October 2014 - 05:41 PM.

All i am going to say, is that i liked Niko a lot and gta iv. CJ was cool, not my fav. Trevor was the only one i actually liked in gta v. I hate Michael, but Franklin cool, Nothing special.

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:16 PM

i think Trevor is overrated. Trevor was an complete brain-dead asshole which could be a better antagonist, he killed off half of the celebrities and important people in the GTA world.
even Trevor could be a better antagonist than those that we have now.

If you want overrated look no further than CJ , a boring guy who half of the time is the bitch of Tempenny and at the slightest chance, tries to leave groove street behind, he's just a dull character in a great game.

Come to think of it, none of the protags are exactly 'sparky'.

'Tries to leave Grove Street behind'. Hmmmm....
Clearly, you didn't understand the story. And that's the problem with 90% of people who don't like SA for it's story.

I don`t think SA`s story is that complicated to understand. You get it`s meaning in 1.st playtrough. The story is quite shallow and semi sci-fi which makes no sense. Within 60 missions you`re suddenly stucked at doing crazy things for Toreno just for the sake of Sweet`s release who is by far one of the most dumb, retarded and anoying side characters in any GTA game so far.

This story makes absolutely no sense. Just why exactly would one dumb, generic gangbanger be so important to the government that they would bother to keep him alive inside?

And i`ve replayed SA (i`m not lying) 27x times and 3x 100% completed it.

Yes it was a fun game, the best GTA game in 3D era but the story was completely out of mind. Like R* would put everything together within few days and not even think about how silly the whole plot is.

Still 10000x times better than 3`s plot but way too retarded for such an overall good game.

As for CJ, he wasn`t bad protagonist neither he wasn`t any special but the fact that he wanted to go out from GS is something i find quite smart. I mean what kind of an asshole would still stay in one sh*tty ghetto if he had all the oportunities to get out and live a normal life.

It was f*cking Sweet who was keep draging him down, gosh i hated that f*cker. He f*cked all up and blamed CJ for everything while himself was totaly incompetent and responsible for GSF almost broke apart.

roadrage19
  • roadrage19

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:10 PM

The story should be given some slack. After all it was the first time R* had attempted a cinematic plot in a GTA game since the top down GTAs didn't have any as such.

Sure it's easy to say it's boring and generic, but it's equally as easy to forget it was written 13 years ago when R* weren't trying to wow the players with deep meaning like some of their recent games.

For its time GTA III's story was brilliant. The only thing I disliked when it was all over was how every gang in Liberty City wanted to eat Claude alive however the story itself was enjoyable for what it was trying to be IMO.

No one said the storyline was bad. Claude is just an overrated protagonist who people call a badass when they haven't even called him that during the time the game was released. Right after his name was divulged in GTA San Andreas, that's when people started speaking about him in third person and lumping him with the protagonists who actually have human personalities. In fact, here's a list of the most overrated GTA characters ever, not just protagonists.

Claude

CJ

Catalina

Salvatore Leone (he's still a great character, but not THAT great)

El Burro

Maria Latore

Donald Love

85% of the characters from GTA 4 (although Niko was a great protagonist)

Trevor Philips

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:26 AM Edited by BabeRuth, 29 October 2014 - 12:27 AM.

In fact, here's a list of the most overrated GTA characters ever, not just protagonists.

Salvatore Leone (he's still a great character, but not THAT great)
Maria Latore.

Those are the only two characters I like from III(3).

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

Notorious fan of underground electronic music and Molly Schultz

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:18 PM

I dislike Sal, never liked the Mafia theme. It seemed bland and boring to me. Of course that's only my opinion, don't forget that :p

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:06 PM

What a load of bollocks.

The reason you hear more about him in later years, especially now is that almost every protagonist since then has been a completely f*cking awful annoying little sh*t.

With Tommy Vercetti, I think it was a bit more of a novelty to get some A list actors, so I didn't mind all that much, and the character was at least somewhat decent. It was just the odd occasion that he might shout some random crap while free-roaming which would get repetitive and annoying. And with San Andreas, the game being magnificent, and an enjoyable storyline, CJ was still a god damn annoying prick. And for the HD era, don't even get me started, every one of them aside from maybe some of Luiz, were completely and utterly terrible.

The reason why at least myself miss the days of good old fido, is that I don't like it where the character I play as does and acts in a way that I didn't choose. The entire game you really barely needed to say anything, it was all on the table and you knew what was going on. Now we get annoying personalities forced upon us and we have to not only live with that in the storyline but in free roam as well.

I do not give a sh*t about his back story.

I do not give a sh*t about his family.

I do not give a sh*t about his whiney ass problems.

I just want a character that shuts the f*ck up and lets me portray the plot in my own way.

I love a good storyline and plot, but only when I choose to invest into it, when it becomes forced on me, the ambient dialog becomes irritating and inevitably ends up with me hating the awful f*cker.

Take it for what you will, Claude had the option to be whatever you wanted him to be, he never went against the grain of your own design.

• PoeticWhisper likes this

Sawnek
  • Sawnek

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:21 PM

No one said the storyline was bad. Claude is just an overrated protagonist who people call a badass when they haven't even called him that during the time the game was released. Right after his name was divulged in GTA San Andreas, that's when people started speaking about him in third person and lumping him with the protagonists who actually have human personalities. In fact, here's a list of the most overrated GTA characters ever, not just protagonists.

How I see it, after Rockstar put him briefly in San Andreas, giving him a name, he actually became a character. Before San Andreas, I'm sure people thought that Claude was silent for the same reason that Gordan Freeman is silent in the Half Life series, because we are the character. After his brief appearance in San Andreas, he was no longer a nameless character who may have represented the player, but instead was this silent, assassin - the 'snake without a tongue' as CJ puts it.

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:58 PM

That wasn't even his name, he didn't even have one.

He didn't talk either. So, no, I don't think he was ever rated so can't be overrated.

QuestLove
  • QuestLove

Comrade

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:08 PM

What a load of bollocks.

The reason you hear more about him in later years, especially now is that almost every protagonist since then has been a completely f*cking awful annoying little sh*t.

With Tommy Vercetti, I think it was a bit more of a novelty to get some A list actors, so I didn't mind all that much, and the character was at least somewhat decent. It was just the odd occasion that he might shout some random crap while free-roaming which would get repetitive and annoying. And with San Andreas, the game being magnificent, and an enjoyable storyline, CJ was still a god damn annoying prick. And for the HD era, don't even get me started, every one of them aside from maybe some of Luiz, were completely and utterly terrible.

The reason why at least myself miss the days of good old fido, is that I don't like it where the character I play as does and acts in a way that I didn't choose. The entire game you really barely needed to say anything, it was all on the table and you knew what was going on. Now we get annoying personalities forced upon us and we have to not only live with that in the storyline but in free roam as well.

I do not give a sh*t about his back story.

I do not give a sh*t about his family.

I do not give a sh*t about his whiney ass problems.

I just want a character that shuts the f*ck up and lets me portray the plot in my own way.

I love a good storyline and plot, but only when I choose to invest into it, when it becomes forced on me, the ambient dialog becomes irritating and inevitably ends up with me hating the awful f*cker.

Take it for what you will, Claude had the option to be whatever you wanted him to be, he never went against the grain of your own design.

Go play something else then, this is gta.

• Captain Delitian likes this

Spadge007
  • Spadge007

Low-rider

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:14 PM

Claude never was overrated, it has always been the contrary.

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:50 PM

I dislike Sal, never liked the Mafia theme. It seemed bland and boring to me. Of course that's only my opinion, don't forget that :p

What about Maria Jean?

roadrage19
  • roadrage19

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:09 PM

Claude never was overrated, it has always been the contrary.

Remember, "was" is the key word here. After his name was revealed in GTA San Andreas, he only became the third person badass people are depicting him as now. So Claude never was overrated until his name was revealed in San Andreas.

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:46 PM

What about Maria Jean?

Jeans*. And, in my honest opinion, she was kind of annoying. All she did was suck the money outta the wallets of her friends.

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:17 PM

Jeans*. And, in my honest opinion, she was kind of annoying. All she did was suck the money outta the wallets of her friends.

Well you gotta admit she's not as bad as Catalina.

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:28 PM

Well you gotta admit she's not as bad as Catalina.

That's true :p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users