Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is Claude the most overrated protagonist in GTA history?

285 replies to this topic
Boyz2Society
  • Boyz2Society

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:28 PM

Back when GTA III was released in 2001, no one was talking about the protagonist or how badass he was because he was originally a character you could control. Hell the description of the case of GTA III even refers to the storyline in second person. Now ever since he appeared in GTA San Andreas and his name finally became divulged, everyone all of a sudden talks about how badass he is as if the storyline of GTA III was third-person narrative. Let's be real. If Claude didn't appear in San Andreas and didn't have his name divulged, no one would be talking about him at all and you know it. Not trying to hate. Just saying.

• No witnesses likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:05 AM

I think people only talk about him not because he has a proper name, rather than just calling him the "GTA 3 guy" or something similar. I still call him "the GTA 3 guy" out of habit, but that's not the point. Anyway, as far as the title goes, I think Niko's the most overrated protagonist in GTA history. Not trying to hate, just saying.

• Blingy, Mr. Rocko, Kalerney and 7 others like this

Boyz2Society
  • Boyz2Society

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:27 AM

I think people only talk about him not because he has a proper name, rather than just calling him the "GTA 3 guy" or something similar. I still call him "the GTA 3 guy" out of habit, but that's not the point. Anyway, as far as the title goes, I think Niko's the most overrated protagonist in GTA history. Not trying to hate, just saying.

None taken. I too think that Niko is overrated as f*ck. Plus the man was a complete hypocrite.

• Cakelover21 likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:44 AM

None taken. I too think that Niko is overrated as f*ck. Plus the man was a complete hypocrite.

I'm sure Sonofliberty would like a word with you.

But yeah, I know most, if not all, protagonists that succeeded Claude were more popular, mostly because they have a personality.

• Cakelover21 likes this

dreadluxx
  • dreadluxx

Ill do it for Mother Russia

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:40 AM

I think Niko's the most overrated protagonist in GTA history. Not trying to hate, just saying.

My I ask, why?

The Mysterious One
  • The Mysterious One

Snitch

• Members

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:42 AM

The thing about Claude is that he had no real personality. Sure, I can say that his personality is defined by how the player controls him, but he never said a single word in the game and even without words, it's hard to say how he presented himself in the cutscenes.

• Cakelover21 and Moonlight Traffic like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:35 AM

I think Niko's the most overrated protagonist in GTA history. Not trying to hate, just saying.

My I ask, why?

Just look around at polls, and similar statistics. People just love & adore Niko a lot more than other characters.

• Cakelover21 likes this

Moonlight Traffic
  • Moonlight Traffic

Reality is far away, Liquid love got me floatin' away

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:31 AM

The thing about Claude is that he had no real personality. Sure, I can say that his personality is defined by how the player controls him, but he never said a single word in the game and even without words, it's hard to say how he presented himself in the cutscenes.

Exactly, he just seemed to be some kind of slave for his boss's, his personality seemed robotic as if he was programmed to just work for people.

• Cakelover21 likes this

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

ey b0ss, cen u gibe me de peprment pls?

• Members
  • GoSquared

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:52 AM Edited by theNGclan, 09 August 2014 - 10:54 AM.

CJ is the most overrated by far, no debating even needed. Claude's too open ended to have a good opinion on him.

"omg guise CJ was so hard he is a criminal mastermind!!111eleven"

@UT, people finally appreciate Niko as a character after seeing how lack luster V's protagonists were. Go back a few years and you'll see everyone HATING Niko and loving past protagonists. It's a never ending cycle. Then again, you'd like IV better if it featured Niko listening to gabber. Amirite.

• lol232, Nopheros, G.S.T and 6 others like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

@UT, people finally appreciate Niko as a character after seeing how lack luster V's protagonists were. Go back a few years and you'll see everyone HATING Niko and loving past protagonists. It's a never ending cycle. Then again, you'd like IV better if it featured Niko listening to gabber. Amirite.

I've seen people prefer Niko even before V's protagonists were introduced to us. But yeah, mature reasoning you've got.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:06 PM Edited by Tycek, 09 August 2014 - 02:06 PM.

I can't say if Claude was overrated. People like him because he was our avatar in LC, extension of our hands and mind in virtual world. He was also first one 3D protagonist, which brings him a bit of love. Is Claude more liked than Tommy or CJ? I am not sure. 

Johan
  • Johan

• Members
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

I would say Trevor is overrated, but that's just my opinion (his voice actor, is not on the other hand.. props to Ogg for a great performance)

Claude isn't the best protagonist either, but the fact that he did whatever he had to do without asking questions, is what made me like him in the first place, we're used to characters literally complaining about doing bad deeds for hours and then doing that same exact thing later on in the game, sometimes more than once.

Niko isn't overrated either, but nothing against your opinion.

• Nopheros, G.S.T, Smoke Cat and 2 others like this

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

Notorious fan of underground electronic music and Molly Schultz

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:30 PM

He is. He sucks, because he is like a braindead killer.

• theGTAking101 and Wavesittich like this

AdusPL
  • AdusPL

GTA III Dark Edition

• Feroci
  • Poland

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

So, it'd be better if he was emotional person, who'd cry, when he killed somebody?

• gtaxpert, undertaker fan, Target13 and 1 other like this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

Moving to GTA Series Chat, as people seem to like talking about other protagonists rather than Claude...

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

I don't think so. The only two protagonists I'd consider overrated are Tommy and CJ, but I'm sure many will disagree.

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

Player hater or hater player, or what?

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:19 PM Edited by Phoenix_Shit, 09 August 2014 - 05:21 PM.

Overrated? OVERRATED? Are you drunk bro??? (No offense) but come on, Claude is not overrated at all. If you literally mean overrated, then absoloutely not. Claude is a liked protagonist by alot of people, if there is one overrated protagonist: Everyone in this forum should agree that it is CJ of course. Claude is not underrated either, but he is not overrated. 

BTW I don't know why people are taking overrated as an opinion, overrated is things that are facts: not opinions. And it is a fact that CJ is overrated.

• ClaudeSpeed1911, Cakelover21, BLOOD-MOND and 1 other like this

dreadluxx
  • dreadluxx

Ill do it for Mother Russia

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

CJ Is not overrated, underrated IMO.  

• OneManCrimeWave, theGTAking101 and Wavesittich like this

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

Player hater or hater player, or what?

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

You must have missed alot of things.

• Mr.Nedich, Target13, ClaudeSpeed1911 and 1 other like this

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

Niko, CJ and Trevor are the most overrated protagonists

• Blingy, Mr.Nedich, Luddite and 5 others like this

GTA19somethin
  • GTA19somethin

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

I don't think so. The only two protagonists I'd consider overrated are Tommy and CJ, but I'm sure many will disagree.

Those two may be a little overrated, but at least they have actual personalities, unlike Claude.

watersgta3
  • watersgta3

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:35 PM

Do you even know what overrated means?

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

Those two may be a little overrated, but at least they have actual personalities, unlike Claude.

But we're not talking about the personalities, also "a little overrated" is an understatement.

watersgta3
  • watersgta3

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:24 PM

So, it'd be better if he was emotional person, who'd cry, when he killed somebody?

You just don't understand. This isn't about being "emotional." This is about having equilibrium. Take Tommy for example. Sure he was a hot-tempered sociopath who showed no remorse of killing anyone, but he was also intelligent and laid-back. He loyal to most of his allies and respected them. Also, he showed a genuine soft side for Earnest Kelly, who he viewed as a father figure. Plus he wasn't hypocritical or bipolar like the "caring" protagonists (CJ, Vic, Niko). That's what Claude lacked. He just felt like an obsequious robot who would do anything for anyone no matter how senseless or two-timing it was. He was just an extremely shallow character who had absolutely no depth. Had his name not have been known or had he not appear in GTA SA, nobody would be talking about him at all.

• Wavesittich likes this

AdusPL
  • AdusPL

GTA III Dark Edition

• Feroci
  • Poland

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:51 PM Edited by AdusPL, 09 August 2014 - 07:52 PM.

But that's why I like him. Shame only me.

thedriver111
  • thedriver111

Say Hello To My Little Friend!

• Members
  • England

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

They had problems during development of GTA III and they didn't think a talking protagonist was an issue. Since he doesn't speak he doesn't have a personallity. He is loyal, and even cold to some degree, as seen when he kills his former bossess. I even read somewhere that they wanted Claude for every GTA!

As for Vs protagonists, they spent way too much time on Micheal & Trevor. Franklin had SO much potential, but instead all he does is assassinations and car thefts.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:05 PM

I don't think Claude not having a personality is an issue. Hell, it might've helped GTA 3 seeing as it let people make up backstories, personalities, etc. for Claude.

• Blingy and MilezDawg like this

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

My I ask, why?

Just look around at polls, and similar statistics. People just love & adore Niko a lot more than other characters.

Only on this forum though. Forums are funny like that, On the MGS forum they all love mgs2 and act like it the best game since sliced bread.

• BLOOD-MOND likes this

iam2fresh
  • iam2fresh

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:13 PM

i still find cj the most overrated protagonist the sh*t he does just because people ask him is f*cking ridiculous 

• Cakelover21 likes this

watersgta3
  • watersgta3

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

i still find cj the most overrated protagonist the sh*t he does just because people ask him is f*cking ridiculous 

As a black guy myself, I pretty much agree. I don't really think CJ is the MOST overrated, but he is pretty overrated because people like him more for his customizations. To be honest, if San Andreas didn't have any of those customizations (the ability to lift weights and all of that) or fighting styles, then nobody would give a f*ck about CJ personally.

• theNGclan, ClaudeSpeed1911, KBG and 5 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users