Is the Saints Row series saveable?

34 replies to this topic
Zackyoung1
  • Zackyoung1

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:18 PM

I think we can all agree after SR2 they took some acid and made SR3 and SR4, my only question is will they try and save this game or should they make a new series?

• josephene123, Zello, BLOOD-MOND and 1 other like this

Mista J
  • Mista J

I can't wait to show you my toys...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:25 PM

They can totally save it if they go back to the roots.
  • Nonpareil1983, Peregrin Brandytook, josephene123 and 3 others like this

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

This action will have consequences...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:34 PM Edited by The7thOne, 27 August 2014 - 05:12 AM.

At this point, newer fans of the series will complain that the game would be "too much of a setback" considering that they started with SR3 or SR4.

Meanwhile, the older fans of the series want the series to return to the roots. I myself, agree with this. I'm sick of all of these superpower mass chaos games. I want a good story, with a great city, and tons of things to do. Not a boring city with bland architecture.

• Donut and Zello like this

Johan
  • Johan

Free The Future

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA]

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:59 PM

They can definitely save it, though it never went downhill to begin with.. just because you enjoyed SR2 doesn't mean it favored everyone else.

Some people actually enjoyed SR3 and SRIV, or one of them.

They hinted that they would make a new game in the series in the future probably, so they can definitely go back to their roots or start a new IP.

• Revenge of the Donut likes this

Xyn
  • Xyn

Wɇ Diɇ Alonɇ

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Respected 2014

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:03 AM

Stop living in the past.

I love SR2 and consider it the best of the series (even better than several GTA games), but Volition made it clear they're not going back in interviews and in the final product we got.

SRIV's slew of cameos were a last good-bye of sorts.

• Tyler, josephene123 and LightningLord like this

EQUIN0X
  • EQUIN0X

Above The Rain

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:11 AM

Stop living in the past.

I love SR2 and consider it the best of the series (even better than several GTA games), but Volition made it clear they're not going back in interviews and in the final product we got.

I heard a rumor they were going to use the time machine at the end of IV to erase everything before 3 and start over.

J-B
  • J-B

The Benz

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:40 AM

It is. Focus should be on a crazy good time and not on the "oh can you believe we put this in a video game" trip that they're on now.

They can keep the super powers around. Turn them into some kind of Activity or a cheat code.

This won't happen most likely.  Volition seem very steadfast in the direction they've taken with the series. I can't blame them for that, it's their game after all,  but I don't have to keep buying them.

• B Dawg and Zello like this

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:45 AM

They wont have a chance if they keep up with this "new" generation teen mind set.

• Peregrin Brandytook, Judicious 7, The7thOne and 1 other like this

Zackyoung1
  • Zackyoung1

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:42 AM

I didn't have the chance to play SR1 however I watched all the cut scenes so I know the story, however I did play SR2 and 3. Saints Row 2 was the perfect balance of action and humor and story, I had to have played SR2 for six months straight because I loved the simple shoot this shoot that mechanics and the game had endless customization and a story that had me love and hate the characters in a great way. When Carlos died I was so pissed I went on a hour long shooting spree against the Brotherhood, SR2 had so many features that a lot of games don't have today.

Saints row 3 and 4 are a joke, something fun to play like angry birds but I never thought they were good games just good time passers.

Payne
  • Payne

f*ck you!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:39 AM

Stop living in the past.

I heard a rumor they were going to use the time machine at the end of IV to erase everything before 3 and start over.
Why not have the protag and johnny gat wake up in the hospital only to find out the events of 3 and 4 were only a dream.
Not my words read it in the saints row 5 topic
  • Zello and Zackyoung1 like this

Silverbolt Wolf
  • Silverbolt Wolf

the resident furry

• Members

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:57 AM

they can save it, but I see their point. At the time almost every openworld game had gangs (like zombies today) they wanted to try a new setting in sr3 with a yakuza style way and it somewhat work, now sriv was ok in my book

LightningLord
  • LightningLord

\ (•◡•) /

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:27 AM

Why not just make a new series? Leave the new Saints Row how it is and make a new series similar to the old Saints Row games.

Xyn
  • Xyn

Wɇ Diɇ Alonɇ

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Respected 2014

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:31 AM

Why not just make a new series? Leave the new Saints Row how it is and make a new series similar to the old Saints Row games.

Because a new series = new brand to have to market to the masses.

SR is a recognizable brand. Making a new one isn't a smart move business-wise.

• Finite, josephene123, SolidSnails and 3 others like this

Coin.
  • Coin.

Some motherf*cker’s always trying to ice skate up hill.

• Feroci
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:28 AM

Sure, why not?

It wouldn't be the first series to re-invent itself a little. If GTA can do it..

TheFunkyBunch
  • TheFunkyBunch

5 Ft 8 Of Pure Sexiness

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:56 AM Edited by TheFunkyBunch, 09 August 2014 - 08:57 AM.

i Think Saints row 1 & 2 were both Great 

and i also think the last two sorry excuses have been An Abomination   but they wont go back simply because the third sold more than 2 and was more liked by Critics And IV Was also a popular game.

i just Play Saints row 1 & 2 and try to Forget About those Piles of Turd.

• Peregrin Brandytook and Zello like this

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

They can if the return to roots.

-Add a good beliveble story which is not batsh*t insane like The Third and 4 was.

-Keep the unrealistic stuff for the new fans without making the game insane (Like add the unrealisic stuff like powers as cheats or activites.)

-Make the cusumizations better (Guns, the boss, clothing layers)

-Add a good driving mechanic which is balanced between Realistic and arcade kinda like GTA.

Basicly a balance like the one in Saints 1 and 2.

• B Dawg, Peregrin Brandytook and Zello like this

MadMugen
  • MadMugen

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

i Think Saints row 1 & 2 were both Great 

and i also think the last two sorry excuses have been An Abomination   but they wont go back simply because the third sold more than 2 and was more liked by Critics And IV Was also a popular game.

i just Play Saints row 1 & 2 and try to Forget About those Piles of Turd.

I'm wondering what the current SR4 sales are. The company announced a million units in sales across all platforms, but they haven't said anything after that. Did SR4 have low sales? Noticed that SR3 is still more expensive to buy and a new copy of SR2 is the same price as a new SR4.

• BLOOD-MOND likes this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:57 PM Edited by SFPD officer, 09 August 2014 - 07:11 PM.

Why "save" something that works completely fine? SR IV was the best superhero game I've ever played. All it needed was the same depth and complexity when it came to free roam options and side activities that SR 2 had. Even the story was balanced very well. The game completely embraced the wackiness, but still presented an engaging story with some very SR 2-style character moments. The game was just pure bliss to play. It didn't feel like a game designed by committee (GTA V) or like some souless cashgrab, despite its DLC roots. It was a fun game, designed by people who obviously had fun making it. It had heart and soul rarely seen in AAA video games.

I think SR V could easily fix SR IV's problems and bring the series back to top shape, now that Volition is stabilised under Deep Silver, even branching out and hiring more employees and everything. I wish them all the best, they are probably the only developers I genuinely root for nowadays. Whether they keep superpowers or go back to the roots, I'm looking forward to anything they put out next.

• Tyler, Tycek, Finite and 2 others like this

ARC8_1982
  • ARC8_1982

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

The best thing they could do, is to make as much people happy as possible, sure you can't please everyone, but you could try, why not make main series like 1 & 2, and spin-offs like 4 with super powers and such... time to bring it on current gen.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:41 AM

Question is does the series really need saving? It sells quite well, it got fans, fourth part was received quite well, despite evolving just from add-on. It looks like the series finally found it own way and it doesn't need any saving. What it needs is a bit of love from developers, a bit of polishing added to the final product. It won't outsell GTA, but if it brings income to the devs and publishers I believe work is done well. 

• HaythamKenway, Revenge of the Donut and BLOOD-MOND like this

J-B
  • J-B

The Benz

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:57 AM

Question is does the series really need saving? It sells quite well, it got fans, fourth part was received quite well, despite evolving just from add-on. It looks like the series finally found it own way and it doesn't need any saving. What it needs is a bit of love from developers, a bit of polishing added to the final product. It won't outsell GTA, but if it brings income to the devs and publishers I believe work is done well. 

If it works for them, then good for them. I can't hate on someone having a good gig. It just feels sh*tty for someone like me to see the series go the way it has.

I've been with the series since it began, f*cking defended it from GTA fanboys left and right, spread it's glorious-ness to others who hadn't even heard of it before, and invested literately hundreds of ours into it.

It can make you feel a little sh*tty when they start ignoring people like myself, and treating the opinions of lolsorandum kiddies with more respect.

• Peregrin Brandytook, MadMugen and Zello like this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:04 PM

Tell that to the R*, because that's the same feeling I got from V. World is changing and the cash is dictating the terms. I doesn't matter if you were a fan or not as long as the game will sell and people will be paid. Life sucks, wear a hat. 

• Zello likes this

J-B
  • J-B

The Benz

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

I don't disagree. A lot of my favorite series have gotten underwhelming entries recently. AC3 and V stand out to me. I enjoyed both quite a bit, but both promised more than they delivered and are chocked full of half realized ideas.

• Zello likes this

Jvaz615
  • Jvaz615

Homeboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

I don't disagree. A lot of my favorite series have gotten underwhelming entries recently. AC3 and V stand out to me. I enjoyed both quite a bit, but both promised more than they delivered and are chocked full of half realized ideas.

I see your point but I think Ubisoft rectified that with ACIV. I hope Rockstar can learn and do the same with the next GTA

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None
  • Best Poster [Gaming] 2015
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2014

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

It can be if they know their priorities.

SR2 was great because it offered you the choice of how you wanted to play the game. You could be as silly as you wanted to be, but the game world would always act somewhat serious enough to suspend your disbelief.

SR3 shattered that, and took the sillyness and unrealism as the norm. You couldn't even pretend you were in a normal living breathing city that made sense. The entire thing felt like a horrible nightmare dream world. A world where strippers would walk the streets as a normal ped and others randomly doing weird player taunts every two seconds. The whole atmosphere was just off.

That doesn't cover all the awesome features that were removed from SR2. But overall I felt that SR3 had a lot of what I loved about the series cut out, and a lot of fun features removed. I felt there really was not a whole lot of content. I remember being mortified finding out that every piece of clothing in the create a character demo was the entire clothing catalog for the game.

If they can remember the game is about the sheer fun of the gameplay and know that keeping in vital features such as picking up objects and having all the customization options for characters, fighting styles, hideouts, and vehicles. Then maybe it might be worth it. I just want a LOT of content that gives us enough choice like we used to have, and a reworked game engine that makes driving more desirable and some hilarious ragdoll and we might have a game.

Though I am worried it will only just become a giant marvel movie parody in the end.

• The7thOne likes this

Mikeol2014
  • Mikeol2014

Juan more time

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:28 AM Edited by Mikeol1987, 11 August 2014 - 10:39 AM.

back to the roots, may save the games but I doubt it. they've taken it too far down this other route now.

In my opinion, Saints Row (no.1) is the only decent game in the series. it's an overblown series that has survived longer than it should have simply because it's a popular GTA clone. I didn't like SR2 because it felt like a cheap, tacky version of San Andreas that came out 2/3 years after SA itself, it felt very dated when playing. I tried to enjoy SR2, but I couldn't. SR3 was crap, SR4 was fun because it was different, but it certainly wasn't a GTA clone anymore, and not comparable. 

SR Developers should stick to making Super-Hero style games as I thought SR4 was fairly fun, and could of made use of a total re brand

• BLOOD-MOND likes this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

The series doesn't need saving.  It's only with SRTT that the series found it's own identity; if it goes back to Generic Gangster Sim #48, then that'll be a shame. 

Then again, it needs to reinvent itself somehow, since it's hard to raise the stakes when the main character is already the emperor of the universe.  The time travel aspect hinted at in the credits may be a way forward, but it's hard to see how.

Hit by Lightning
  • Hit by Lightning

ಠ_ಠ

• Members
  • Vatican-City

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

I haven't played the first three and I absolutely love the last one. So yes, it's saveable!  :santa:

Aby
  • Aby

★ Sexualizer ★

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Biggest Like Whore 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Best New Member 2013

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:47 AM

Series doesn't need saving, especially since SRIV is actually a really damn fun game.  Only issue I had with it was that the story dragged on for too long, wanting to just get it over with 75% of the way in.  The gameplay itself is great fun, regardless of how ridiculous it is.  I enjoy throwing cars at people with telekinetic powers, and sprinting up buildings, Prototype-style.

They also got the DLC right this time, SR3 having some of the worst DLC I have ever bought, while the Christmas DLC for SRIV was worth every penny.

• The7thOne likes this

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

What we see:

Stop living in the past.

What he really means:

No they shouldn't because I want to buy more full games that were originally planned as a DLC just like Saints Row 4.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users