GTA 5 Story too short?

25 replies to this topic
Gupzz
  • Gupzz

The New Guy

• New Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

Anyone else found the story for Grand Theft Auto V to be short/rushed? Seemed like missions were taken out because people complained GTA IV was too long which wasn't in my opinion.

• Panzer likes this

GtaV Is Coming To Pc
  • GtaV Is Coming To Pc

Can't Wait For Those New Features

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

Pretty sure 3/4 of the people on here think that it was too short.

johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:51 PM

Anyone else found the story for Grand Theft Auto V to be short/rushed? Seemed like missions were taken out because people complained GTA IV was too long which wasn't in my opinion.

All official V chat goes in here.

http://gtaforums.com/forum/239-gta-v/

Johnny Playert
  • Johnny Playert

BIGGOS_010

• The Yardies
  • Netherlands
  • Best Snapmatic [Character] 2013

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

Story? What story?
  • SonOfLiberty, Greasepalms, Mokrie Dela and 1 other like this

ColonelKurtzPS3
  • ColonelKurtzPS3

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

I think they may have got the inside information that the PlayStation 4 was coming out and they had to cut the story short and release i
The game

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:10 AM

Nope. Simply: the story is saturated in favour of more mindless gameplay and online. The focus is no longer on single player. If you're a loner with no friends, of don't like deathmatches, you're sh*t out of luck. In terms of story, IV and RDR was their peak. We're on the other side of the hill now, going down back into the dark valley.

Too many kids playing the game, and they simply don't want complex story themes and multiple plots that their tiny COD minds can't follow.

• SonOfLiberty, Greasepalms, thekillerdonuts and 1 other like this

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

We're not strong, We're injustice strong !!!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:21 AM

No. They just got to the action. In IV you to wait to get to the action.

Nope. Simply: the story is saturated in favour of more mindless gameplay and online. The focus is no longer on single player. If you're a loner with no friends, of don't like deathmatches, you're sh*t out of luck. In terms of story, IV and RDR was their peak. We're on the other side of the hill now, going down back into the dark valley.

Too many kids playing the game, and they simply don't want complex story themes and multiple plots that their tiny COD minds can't follow.

The singleplayer in IV was fun? There's nothing to do in it.

• OneManCrimeWave likes this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:35 AM

The singleplayer in IV was fun? There's nothing fun for me to do in it.

Fixed. This is what you really mean. 

• thekillerdonuts likes this

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

We're not strong, We're injustice strong !!!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:39 PM

Hey he was trying to knock V first.

fac316
  • fac316

Hustler

• Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

The story was long enough, It was horribly written w/ the worst Antagonists EVER! but it felt long enough. Remember in IV we might have had 90 missions but how many where copy and paste of the same ones? The real disappointment is the lack of minigames (ESP crime related ones)

CallumL
  • CallumL

Too good for you...

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

Yes, it's very short mission wise, but I guess finding all the hidden sh*t and stuff takes time. 

EditingYourMouth
  • EditingYourMouth

I saw that new GTA game, Midnight Club : Los Santos

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:23 PM

It was rushed...for 5 years and they still couldn't implement a good storyline.

LV007
  • LV007

Crackhead

• Members
  • Latvia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

Well, I will tell you my point of things.

In GTA IV times there was WAY more people who completed the story of the game, and went to online, atleast I do this on most of my games, same as my friends.

Now in almost every game they make the story short so some online dick (sorry, didn't wanted to offend any online player) can complete the story as quickly as possible. There are many people who play only first few missions of the SP and go to MP, without knowing the story, but who gives a f*ck about what I think. Anyway, thanks for reading this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:06 AM

The story is just as long as previous games, but the missions were split into two different strands - the main missions and the Strangers & Freaks missions.

Gupzz
  • Gupzz

The New Guy

• New Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

Really disappointed, when they said something like GTA online will come one week after GTA V is released to allow the player to complete the story, thought it would be good and long (pause). I perfer to have an epic single player over online, online can be customised automatically via update (adding new sh*t). They should have focused on single player more story wise, its what drove the GTA series , living as a criminal etc. And if you're struggling to complete GTA stories, play little big planet or something :/ dont see why kids have to ruin it for us.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

The story is just as long as previous games, but the missions were split into two different strands - the main missions and the Strangers & Freaks missions.

I don't count the S&F missions as main mission, but side missions, like the assassination missions in VC/IV - they're not really contributing to the story imo. The one where the three characters meet that running woman, for example, adds nothing to the story. It's not another thread, but an expansion of the random encounters in RDR and GTA IV.

S&F can not be considered story missions imo, but nothing more than expanded random character meetings. They're cool to be there - and the do add to the game, more so because they're so un connected to the story. But while they're SP missions, they're not, in any way, main story missions.

And yes, I know IV, SA etc had many missions that weren't directly related to the overall story but they were part of a subplot that supported the main story arcs.  I actually had to impose a mission limit when playing it - i restricted myself to 1 or 2 missions a day, simply to make the game's story last. There's that horrible, soul crushing moment when, after playing a dozen missions, you look at the percent completed stat (and every GTA gamer can "decode" it), and realise you're almost a quarter of the way through the game. I know they tried to change the formula, but losing the "meet So-and-so; work for him" structure (which is still there, actually) made the game feel restricted. GTA V feels like a DLC pack to me. It really does, it lacks things to so (structured like bowling pool etc), missions are actually longer in some cases but the story's shorter, and weaker than I expect from Rockstar if i'm honest. I still hope for DLC that adds practically every feature lost in V from previous games and several mission bosses and strands

In many ways, GTA V highlights how little room there appears to be for a story to move now. People feel it's "been done" maybe, but it's a trend that stretches across gaming in general - stories seem to be getting shorter because (i guess) attention spans are shorter. I'm aware many casual gamers will play a game for a week, and then move on, regardless of how far they got. But that problem lies within the gamer, not the devs, and the devs should remain steadfast and make the best game they can. V's great on many levels (especially graphically) but it is not, by any stretch of the imagination, the best Rockstar could produce imo.

• Tyla, SonOfLiberty, Tycek and 2 others like this

MoundLicker
  • MoundLicker

Clowny McShenanigans

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:30 PM

Single player was only short if you only did the main missions and ignored the rest.  It took forever to get 100% completion and try to actually get every single thing done that didn't necessarily contribute to 100%.  Though stunt jumps and knife flights seem out of place a bit and probably should have just been moved to online.

ThumbRehab
  • ThumbRehab

Denied Access

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

After reading all of the opinions on this topic (which I rarely do) I can say one of few things is true, 1) the game is only short the first time around, the second time might be significantly longer, the game must've been compressed so that it seems short when you first play it, which probably only took a couple of days or seemed to. The other thing that can be said is it's only Southern California this time, not Northern Cali and Vegas, truth be told Southern Cali is just thirsty for action in this game, I think that the missions could've been more in depth, the dynamics that made GTA SA a hit are barely present in GTAV and it really takes away from the West Coast funk, simply put GTAV is too focused on fame and espionage.

Gupzz
  • Gupzz

The New Guy

• New Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:18 PM

Feel as though they focused on the environment, visuals and mechanics more than the story. I mean GTA San Andreas (for example) has sh*tty graphics, mechanics aint as good by todays standard but it still can be played and I do play it reguarly because of the gameplay, a variety of features (customization of main character like bodybuilding) and so on. GTA V is just 'pretty', has a great story dont get me wrong but they rushed that aspect and just wanted to make a bigger game world... dont see the point as it takes a couple of days to complete the main story :panic:

ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

Well, I will tell you my point of things.

In GTA IV times there was WAY more people who completed the story of the game, and went to online, atleast I do this on most of my games, same as my friends.

Now in almost every game they make the story short so some online dick (sorry, didn't wanted to offend any online player) can complete the story as quickly as possible. There are many people who play only first few missions of the SP and go to MP, without knowing the story, but who gives a f*ck about what I think. Anyway, thanks for reading this

Dude I know people that don't even bother with single player; they jump straight into multiplayer.

Gaming is not what it used to be.

• maxpaynefan likes this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:46 PM

After reading all of the opinions on this topic (which I rarely do) I can say one of few things is true, 1) the game is only short the first time around, the second time might be significantly longer, the game must've been compressed so that it seems short when you first play it, which probably only took a couple of days or seemed to. The other thing that can be said is it's only Southern California this time, not Northern Cali and Vegas, truth be told Southern Cali is just thirsty for action in this game, I think that the missions could've been more in depth, the dynamics that made GTA SA a hit are barely present in GTAV and it really takes away from the West Coast funk, simply put GTAV is too focused on fame and espionage.

Actually, I found it even shorter the second time around. At least with GTA IV, you had some, albeit small, changes regarding choices. Certain things played out differently.

I think in terms of playing hours, it's probably longer than it seems, but in terms of number of missions (i do not class S&F as full missions, rather expansions on the random encounters in IV and RDR), I find it very short. It's also very unrewarding, until you finish the story, then it's overpowered. Very poor balance.

V's focus seems to simply be on graphics (fair enough) and multiplayer. A lot of work has gone into GTA O, and i suspect it's subtracted from the SP experience.

Much is missing from V that simply should be there. Much from SA, and IV, and some elements from other games. V felt like "the big one" and it was nothing near, in both gameplay and story for me. IV has the best story imo. V's not got a bad story, but it's too flat. Not that many well-fleshed out threads. So much room for more, and they didn't bother.

I know people that don't even bother with single player; they jump straight into multiplayer.

This is what I see as the problem, only I'm not sure which way round it is.

Either

A) People are going straight to MP, and as a result R* have neglected SP to focus on the more popular one.

B) People are going straight to MP because SP is so lacking, they're not even bothering with it...

Me, I've just started playing other games. V's on my shelf, gathering dust. I'm getting more out of VC than V tbh.

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

"Time moves forward, and nothing changes"- Max Payne

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:54 PM

@ChopTheDog your right online focus is BS. We need more SP focused games.
  • ChopTheDog. likes this

ThumbRehab
  • ThumbRehab

Denied Access

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:02 PM Edited by ThumbRehab, 27 August 2014 - 11:03 PM.

I think everybody here's hitting it on the head, it looks like we're just stuck with games that are more focused on modernization and current events than intrigue; better graphics, accurate locations etc. I guess after all of that you have no choice but to satirize things :bbq: I can't help but wonder what the game's end result would be if we were living in armegeddon!

ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:42 AM Edited by ChopTheDog., 28 August 2014 - 08:43 AM.

I know people that don't even bother with single player; they jump straight into multiplayer.

This is what I see as the problem, only I'm not sure which way round it is.

Either

A) People are going straight to MP, and as a result R* have neglected SP to focus on the more popular one.

B) People are going straight to MP because SP is so lacking, they're not even bothering with it...

Me, I've just started playing other games. V's on my shelf, gathering dust. I'm getting more out of VC than V tbh.

V's not even on my shelf; I sold my copy ages ago. For me the single player in V was rubbish and the Multiplayer doesn't go much further.

I got bored every time I loaded it up after 10 minutes of joining my friends in lobbies and:

1. Meeting up.

2. Showing off our cars.

3. Doing a race or roaming around randomly.

That's not the kind of gameplay I'm into and I loved all the other GTA's so something is definitely lacking in V. (IMO)

Maybe it's the rush to develop for the eight generation. Oh and I also despise the idea of having 3 main protags.

The only entertaining part was Chop. 

One of the worst games. 3/10.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

I don't feel the multi-protagonist dynamic ruined the game. I liked it. I really did. It was present in IV, but presented in a different way - segregated by character/story, whereas V blends them together. It was actually quite brilliant being able to switch from one to the other. The characters needed more fleshing out, however, and the shortness of the story is one of the biggest things preventing this.

The saddest thing is that I don't see this changing. I expect GTA VI to be the same - MP focused with SP being a bolt on, if it's there at all.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

I don't think GTAVI will have the same MP focus as V. For me it seems GTAO is there to cater to those who enjoy the traditional GTA format that GTAV's story isn't -- the rise up through town, do jobs for various people that we don't experience with Michael, Trevor or Franklin. It's more of a separate entity than the extension to the story I think GTAVI's version of online will be, provided they nourish us with a gameplay heavy, empire building storyline. 

GTAV's story isn't too short in my opinion. I'd maybe even say it's too long. The main problem is the emphasis on Michael -- a guy who's geared towards doing less -- over Franklin who wants more out of life. Maybe if the emphasis was on Franklin, the gameplay would be richer and the story would be much more satisfying?

• SonOfLiberty likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users