Petition to amend US car import ban from 25 to 15 years (who wants R34

8 replies to this topic
fastdriver
  • fastdriver

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:19 PM

For the U.S. members:

I'm sure many us are car enthusiasts. Therefore, it is in our best interests to sign this petition. The government should not dictate what we can and cannot drive. Let's try to reduce the import ban on foreign cars from 25 to 15 years, just like Canada did several years back. These petitions come and go, but I've NEVER seen one like this pick up so fast! We need all the signatures we can get! Sign & SHARE!

http://jalopnik.com/...ouse-1617549580

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

I think the petition's goal is realistic, I don't see how a 15 year limit would affect the existing market for new cars, as even the best car from 1999 car isn't exactly a prime competitor for your average consumer car.

I have doubt in the actual efficacy of petitions, but I guess it doesn't hurt to sign (not that I can!).

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:45 PM

It's not so much that you can't import a vehicle that's less than 25 years old, it's just that you have to make the vehicle conform to certain safety and emission standards.

Moth
  • Moth

Canis Canem Edit

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:59 PM

it's just that you have to make the vehicle conform to certain safety and emission standards.

That are just as good or better. I understand being against importing a "car" from China, but from Europe or Japan? Come on.

If they really cared about safety, they would have banned motorcycles long ago.(Not saying I'm for a ban, I'm not.)

• Sting4S likes this

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:32 AM

I agree that the import laws are a bit strict.  I think as long as a car can pass an emissions test that puts it in the same ball park as a similar vehicle already in the US and a safety certification that will prove the vehicle is roadworthy and not going to fall apart at any second, then it should be able to be imported.

I really don't see the need for bumpers to be to such exacting specifications and other BS like that.

fastdriver
  • fastdriver

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:32 AM Edited by fastdriver, 09 August 2014 - 03:33 AM.

I really don't see the need for bumpers to be to such exacting specifications and other BS like that.

Exactly. Because of nuances like that, importing any car that was not sold in the U.S. market is virtually impossible, unless it's at least 25 years old. You must crash test the car for it to be closer to federalization, to say the least. No one can afford that, unless you're a corporation. 

The U.S. basically decided to reinvent the wheel and create our own vastly different regulations after lobbying done by Mercedes Benz USA to curb gray market imports that supposedly took a chunk of their sales. Presently, there is a global set of vehicle regulations that all developed countries EXCEPT the US/Canada adhere to or at least accept, called UN-ECE. All comes down to 'protecting' our auto industry.

Fox2Quick
  • Fox2Quick

Foxmaster Flex

• Members

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

Exactly. Because of nuances like that, importing any car that was not sold in the U.S. market is virtually impossible, unless it's at least 25 years old. You must crash test the car for it to be closer to federalization, to say the least. No one can afford that, unless you're a corporation. 

The U.S. basically decided to reinvent the wheel and create our own vastly different regulations after lobbying done by Mercedes Benz USA to curb gray market imports that supposedly took a chunk of their sales. Presently, there is a global set of vehicle regulations that all developed countries EXCEPT the US/Canada adhere to or at least accept, called UN-ECE. All comes down to 'protecting' our auto industry.

This

Also, I'm only ever in the GTAO section of the forums. Came here just to post this. In case anyone was looking, here's a direct link to the petition. https://petitions.wh...rs-and/PhZ4RMgz

Glad someone else is on this too. Also, how amazing is it that were up to 42k in 5 days? WE GOT THIS lol

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO
  • Best Contributor [Vehicles] 2012

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:08 AM

I signed it. I never really understood the 25 year thing. Always seemed daft to me. 15 years seems like the logical compromise on the issue if you're a manufacturer that has some kind of beef with possible different market models encroaching on sales of US market stuff. 

• epoxi likes this

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:04 PM Edited by epoxi, 12 August 2014 - 07:06 PM.

I think the writers of the petition should have targeted their argument at an economic level. Everybody knows the safety and environmental reasons are just lip service, and it's hardly the first time "monies taxpayers have intended to be used to secure our country against terrorist activity" have been misused by the government.

I think the most convincing argument (which politicians and lobbyists would relate to) would simply be "15 year old cars do not compete with new cars and their availability will not significantly affect automotive marketplace."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users