Photo

Problem with TV specs

3 replies to this topic
PhilosophicalZebra
  • PhilosophicalZebra

No, that's not a Paul Smith coat.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:20 AM Edited by PhilosophicalZebra, 08 August 2014 - 01:22 AM.

So after my dad bought a new TV back in March, I later asked him what the native resolution was. He said 720p. T'was kind of a bummer considering I was planning on playing some games in 1080p, but I got over it. It never occured to me until today to check the TV's model number online to see what the resolution actually is. Now when I searched the number, it told me that the number corresponds to a 51'' Plasma TV, Samsung brand, 1080p and 600Hz. My TV is indeed Samsung and 51 inches, but I don't know about the rest.

The problem there is that the specs listed on the back of the TV say that the TV's refresh rate is 60Hz, not 600, and my dad said that it's 720p while Samsung's website says it's 1080p. Of course my dad might just be wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that the TV itself says 60Hz and the website says 600Hz. Another lovely inconsistency is that Samsung's wesbite lists it at anywhere from $700 to $1400 CAD depending on the retailer, but my dad got it for $450. It's actually a really nice TV, and I don't know if it has anything to do with it but when connect an HDMI to my PS3/Xbox360/XBOne it automatically goes to 1080p. Does that mean it's the native resolution, or just that that's the highest resolution? 

For anyone willing to help, the model # is PN51D530.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Look at his little spots!

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:10 AM

I'd be inclined to believe the Samsung specs over all else.

The actual frame rate is 60Hz, but the subfield motion performance is 600Hz. That's not a full image frame rate but only certain pixels, with the intent of increasing clarity on plasma screens.

It's 1080p.
  • PhilosophicalZebra likes this

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

The TV may be capable of 1080P  but regardless of which console you hook up to it you'll still only be gaming at 720P since that's the highest resolution the games support. 

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

Unless he has a PS4/Xbone or a PC.

For watching movies, I heartily recommend turning off all the pixel smoothers/subframe motion plus/other marketing guff and sticking to 24 frames per second, the way the film was shot. Otherwise, it'll look like a soap opera. For gaming, experiment with the settings and see what looks best, and remember that Plasmas are susceptible to image retention when gaming due to static HUDs (as well as channel logos when watching TV). The best thing to do is change around gaming, movies, TV, full frame content (no black bars) frequently to let the phosphors settle (takes a couple hundred hours).

Enjoy your new TV  :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users