Photo

Custom Radio Station: Coal Rollin' Radio

43 replies to this topic
dme
  • dme

Coal Rollin Radio: DJ Dee

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:29 PM Edited by dme, 27 May 2015 - 09:56 PM.

Coal%20Rollin%20Radio%20Album%20Cover.jp

Now Available: Download

My friends and I have worked here and there over the past year creating a fully featured custom radio station for GTA V. We have fully implemented DJs, custom commercials, station bumps, music, talk segments, etc. We think it turned out well and had a lot of fun making it. Check it out and let us know what you think!

[NOTE: There's some offensive material that doesn't represent our views, but more so the comedy of the game and bigotry of the stereotypes we were trying to represent.]

Preview our first batch of commercials & our second batch of commercials for in-game companies. There's even more in the final version of the station.

[!!NEW!!] It's finished! Click here to preview and download. I split it up into several different tracks to assist in the randomness of the starting location. This seems to be the best way. Check out the 00-Readme.txt file if you're not sure how to add custom stations to GTA V. Be sure you have the Radio mode set to sequential.

Here's the original commercial for Coal Rollin Radio:

I will be updating this thread with new development of the station as they are available. Stay tuned.

• Ash_735, burnzy187, universetwisters and 12 others like this

dme
  • dme

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:21 PM

I just made a logo for it and updated the original post. Previews coming soon.

A6kVpla.png

tomsk222
  • tomsk222

Uncle T

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:59 PM

Do we have any confirmation regarding the custom radio station? Seems like they only confirmed the video editor.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

I know you've been complaining, but you weren't ready.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:22 PM Edited by Spider-Vice, 07 August 2014 - 11:23 PM.

It's a given it will be included, it always has since GTA III, why would it change now? It's always been an exclusive GTA PC feature. (And Xbox, the original, for GTA SA)

dme
  • dme

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:26 PM

Yeah. It would be extremely weird if they didn't include that feature this time. Either way, we're having fun with this. Any song suggestions?

dme
  • dme

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:40 AM

We just posted a little commercial for the station. 

• Ash_735 and Mr. Jago like this

CartmanKusanagi
  • CartmanKusanagi

Dang It, Bobbeh!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:57 AM

It's a given it will be included, it always has since GTA III, why would it change now? It's always been an exclusive GTA PC feature. (And Xbox, the original, for GTA SA)

Don't forget about III and VC on Xbox, LCS and VCS on PSP, and all of the iOS ports (including Chinatown Wars) :). Technically, the 360 versions of IV and V let you use custom music too, albeit not as an actual option in the game, but it's better than nothing at all.

And yeah, I think it's safe to assume the PC version will have custom music support. Like you said, if every GTA starting with III had it, why wouldnt V?
  • Spider-Vice likes this

dme
  • dme

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:52 AM

Preview of our first batch of commercials for in-game companies:

• Ash_735, Ghstltno, Mr. Jago and 2 others like this

dme
  • dme

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:02 AM Edited by dme, 02 September 2014 - 05:40 PM.

The first hour segment ("The Drinking Hour") hosted by DJ Dee is finished. We have started the "Pissed Off Ponderings" hour with Mad Max and finished three rants. About 15 commercials are done so far.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

Sounds like you have a good group of people around to do some recording, straight away it's already impressive and the recording equipment actually sounds good! Some of those ads were good to, sadly more memorable than a lot of GTAV's.

Miko19
  • Miko19

Can Into Space

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:04 PM

This is f*cking great, dude.

The Ubermacht and FlyUS commercials made me laugh more than any of the actual shows in the game :D

Nick930930
  • Nick930930

the Godfather

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

Add "Los Angeles is Burning" by Bad Religion. 

Not sure why they didn't have it on their punk station to begin with.. it's perfect for this game. 

Reconified
  • Reconified

Model Citizen, Zero Discipline.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:03 PM

Add "Los Angeles is Burning" by Bad Religion. 

Not sure why they didn't have it on their punk station to begin with.. it's perfect for this game. 

'southern classics'

read. read. read.

fatcowxlive
  • fatcowxlive

MooMooMoo!

• Members

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

Oh sh*t! This is like K-Rose for GTA V! I never played GTA V, is there a K-Rose-ish station on there?

All that aside great job OP!

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:05 PM Edited by universetwisters, 11 August 2014 - 07:05 PM.

Ohh, that's pretty professional compared to some other fan stations I made.

A buddy of mine and I made a radio station for a mod, this here's a sampler for it if anyone's interested.

Wavesittich
  • Wavesittich

#yeshomo

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:20 PM

These are so awesome they could be vanilla.

dme
  • dme

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:35 PM

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. This has been fun so far.

dme
  • dme

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:27 PM Edited by dme, 02 September 2014 - 05:40 PM.

Someone recently painted a picture of me from the Mellow Mushroom 1974 day. I thought it would be the perfect portrait for DJ Dee on Coal Rollin Radio.

EStj83V.gif

Bigger:
HJiq6Jj.jpg
  • Mr. Jago likes this

CorvetteStingray
  • CorvetteStingray

All the hype is back.

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:41 PM

This should be a vanilla GTA V station because this totally rocks!

The commercials could be a pack to replace default in-game ones, but IDK, lel.

Southern Classics aren't my forte, but that sweet voice acting in those commercials alone were so great, I want it. (I like how a guy who keeps on saying "Ubermacht" on its commercial sounded seductive XD) MOAR. MOAR.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAR

dme
  • dme

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:52 PM

This should be a vanilla GTA V station because this totally rocks!

The commercials could be a pack to replace default in-game ones, but IDK, lel.

Southern Classics aren't my forte, but that sweet voice acting in those commercials alone were so great, I want it. (I like how a guy who keeps on saying "Ubermacht" on its commercial sounded seductive XD) MOAR. MOAR.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAR

Thanks! We're working on more tonight. We can package those commercials up so players can add them along with their other songs on the PC version.

Don't be a Jew. Buy an Ubermacht.

dme
  • dme

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:33 AM

We exported a few more commercials tonight. We'll start building up the next commercial trailer video, but I'll link to some new ones here if you want a sneak peak. We love hearing input in suggestions, so let us know what you think.

Redwood Cigarettes
Muscle Sands Gym
Deep Goat
Freedom Drones

PittDawg
  • PittDawg

Trick

• Members

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:41 PM

[NOTE: In the spirit of GTA, we touch on a lot of stereotypes. Typically dumb rednecks and all of their prejudice.

Ohhh the irony :lol:

dme
  • dme

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:21 AM

Here's a little preview of some more commercials. 

DAMND
  • DAMND

SPANKED-up madman

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:34 PM

Do you know how you're going to implement this yet? Like, are you going to make it a bunch of MP3s that people can play on Independence with the DJ turned off, or will it be one big chunk?

I thought it would be fun if someone made a mod that disassembles the code for radio stations and lets you replace the songs and DJ bumps while "intelligently" randomizing them like the game does (i.e. there are sound bites that play during the morning where the DJs reference it being morning, and it plays a certain amount of songs before commercials roll). Plus that would let people take new songs and insert them to the existing radio stations and their DJs bumps, organize their in-game music by genre, etc.

anyway, just curious if you've thought about anything in that direction

• Wavesittich likes this

dme
  • dme

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:54 PM

Do you know how you're going to implement this yet? Like, are you going to make it a bunch of MP3s that people can play on Independence with the DJ turned off, or will it be one big chunk?

I thought it would be fun if someone made a mod that disassembles the code for radio stations and lets you replace the songs and DJ bumps while "intelligently" randomizing them like the game does (i.e. there are sound bites that play during the morning where the DJs reference it being morning, and it plays a certain amount of songs before commercials roll). Plus that would let people take new songs and insert them to the existing radio stations and their DJs bumps, organize their in-game music by genre, etc.

anyway, just curious if you've thought about anything in that direction

It's my understanding that you can't have time-sensitive radio. As far as organization and adding new songs/bumps, GTA will let you play them in order as they appear in the folder. We will probably have two options: a single, long file that plays through everything and a zip fill of smaller pieces that can be ordered by name in the custom song folder.

A single, long file will be the easiest for people since they can pretty much drop it in and play. They won't have to make sure they're in the right order or even set to sequential mode in the game. They could be on Radio or Random settings and it would play correctly.

dme
  • dme

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:36 AM Edited by dme, 06 September 2014 - 03:38 PM.

I did my best at a Niko Belic Impersonaltiom tonight for Roman Belic Enterpises commercial. Haha.

CorvetteStingray
  • CorvetteStingray

All the hype is back.

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:36 PM

I did my best at a Nico Belic Impersonaltiom tonight for Roman Belic Enterpises commercial. Haha.

Downloaded it and I LOLED at it. The references to points in the GTA IV storyline - Niko looking for that special someone (Darko Brevic) and the Esperanto and Cavalcade taxi fleets... even the yellow car reference (YELLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWW CAAAAAARRRRRR!!!!!!)

dme
  • dme

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:45 AM

We did a Burger Shot commercial tonight. I'm digging it. Haha. Notice those background vocals.
  • Mr. Jago likes this

Bolcksta
  • Bolcksta

The Protagonist

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:28 AM Edited by Bolcksta, 07 September 2014 - 05:28 AM.

Include this song.

Trust me.

P.S  It's groovy as f*ck.

CAMF111
  • CAMF111

C-Man

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:05 PM

This does seem really interesting. I love radio and I do feel that while some god tracks were on the soundtrack, I could have been alot better.

How are you going to gt past copywrite? Are you going to just be including jingles, DJ chat and comercials while letting poeple download tracks themselves?

Also, Im really interested in this, Im goona start a thread on a similar topic shortly and il post the link here...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users