Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why do people hate/dislike GTA V so much?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
852 replies to this topic

Poll: Why do people hate/dislike GTA V so much? (385 member(s) have cast votes)

Why do you hate it?

1. Because of the short storyline!!! (29 votes [7.53%])

Percentage of vote: 7.53%

2. Becaue of the bad missions (3 votes [0.78%])

Percentage of vote: 0.78%

3. Because of the ending (4 votes [1.04%])

Percentage of vote: 1.04%

4. Because it doesn't have replayabillity (25 votes [6.49%])

Percentage of vote: 6.49%

5. Because of the protagonists (3 votes [0.78%])

Percentage of vote: 0.78%

6. Because it did not have features that online had. (31 votes [8.05%])

Percentage of vote: 8.05%

7. because the storyline sucked and I disliked/hated it! (28 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

8. I did not dislike, nor hate GTA V. (262 votes [68.05%])

Percentage of vote: 68.05%

Vote
Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:19 PM

Simply free roaming to sight see and cause havoc is a very linear way of having fun

This statement makes me want to facepalm myself into the darkest f*cking corners of oblivion.

For me, free roaming is 50% of what makes GTA, well... GTA. Wandering around with complete freedom. Making use of the world around you to entertain yourself because you have that choice. The world is the real star and it gives you so many options for fun that weren't ever planned in detail by the developers. Making the game your own experience.

For example, and hey, I don't expect anyone to think 'hey Fuzz, you've totally changed my mind and I'm going to try this right now!', I can grab a bmx and ride all the way around the map and have fun. I can create havoc with vehicles and weapons. I can set up my own courses for dirt bikes, cars, off-roaders, planes... there's just so much to do! I can literally play the game every night for a few hours and not do the same thing once over a week. There's so much freedom, completely non-linear freedom, that is just there as a side effect of the size of the map, the variety of vehicles and the very well balanced physics system - it nods to reality while trying to retain the fun of a balls-to-the-wall Hollywood action blockbuster. 

I have no problem with people preferring to stick to what the devs explicitly give them as activities as their sole forms of interaction in the world, but I do feel a bit sad that there are people that just don't even consider completely free play as something worth doing. But again, that's cool, and it's not for me to say one play style is any better than the other.

Slevin77
  • Slevin77

Caporegime

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

If GTA V is open world than so is Dark Souls 2

Just because you chose where you want to go doesn't mean you have complete freedom. There is a very linear order to how you complete the game. You do things in a set order, missions don't become available unless you do the route of missions required to move on. GTA usually has multiple people that give missions and you have the freedom to do which ones you want when you want to. GTA V I was actually waiting way too often for a mission to pop up. And I don't find stranger missions to be a good replacement. I have only played through VC, LCS and TBOGT once but I'm pretty sure you could even pick sides and make your own choices on who you do work for and you your enemies are. Like in GTA IV you chose quite a few times who dies and who doesn't. GTA V gives you little choices and the only choice that's actually a big decision is the ending choice.

However I can't help but feel this is common. Games tend to do this as years go on. Sleeping Dogs originally was going to allow players to either side with the gangsters or cops, and I don't mean just at the end I mean early in the game when you get missions for both sides. If you did more Triad missions then you'd eveutally go rouge. But that was scrapped due to it's complexity and lack of mass appeal. So I can't really knock Rockstar for this. This is actually the gamer's fault, not theirs. Gamers made CoD the biggest franchise of all time, game companies will use that as feedback. They see open world games becoming less popular, and see linear gameplay as what the people want. That's why survival horror and open world games are becoming rare.

• Kampret likes this

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

#DoomFan4EverAfter

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

Uh, how did this thread turned from a "I'm disappointed with V/IV/SA/Whatevertheuckever" to a car debate?

Eh, another normal day @ V section. Keep it up guys. :)

Was I not allowed to talk about the cars in GTA V? It's an aspect of the game people were debating on. And considering driving is a major part of the game I'd consider it's something worth talking about. In case you didn't see the full converation it started off with someone saying the driving mechanics were too easy and then on to the authenticity of their real life counterparts which would be tossed up to either a pro or a con of the game.

No of course you have all the rights. Its because all of a sudden we became talking about real life cars.

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:57 PM Edited by josephene123, 25 August 2014 - 04:01 PM.

And yet if you take away the country side (which I don't ever use, it's bland and uninteresting, a lot of stuff there but not a lot to actually DO with them) IV's open world rampages and messing around give far more possibilities for the player as a direct consequence of the more fully featured physics, damage systems and NPC interaction.

I have to admit, despite my thoughts that the country side is bland and uninteresting and that it's not necessarily laid out in a way which makes the world feel big, it's quite beautiful in places and there is a lot of potential - the places have quite different atmospheres and I love that. I'd absolutely love to experience IV's better mechanics in that world.

BisP
  • BisP

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

If GTA V is open world than so is Dark Souls 2

Just because you chose where you want to go doesn't mean you have complete freedom. There is a very linear order to how you complete the game. You do things in a set order, missions don't become available unless you do the route of missions required to move on. GTA usually has multiple people that give missions and you have the freedom to do which ones you want when you want to. GTA V I was actually waiting way too often for a mission to pop up. And I don't find stranger missions to be a good replacement. I have only played through VC, LCS and TBOGT once but I'm pretty sure you could even pick sides and make your own choices on who you do work for and you your enemies are. Like in GTA IV you chose quite a few times who dies and who doesn't. GTA V gives you little choices and the only choice that's actually a big decision is the ending choice.

However I can't help but feel this is common. Games tend to do this as years go on. Sleeping Dogs originally was going to allow players to either side with the gangsters or cops, and I don't mean just at the end I mean early in the game when you get missions for both sides. If you did more Triad missions then you'd eveutally go rouge. But that was scrapped due to it's complexity and lack of mass appeal. So I can't really knock Rockstar for this. This is actually the gamer's fault, not theirs. Gamers made CoD the biggest franchise of all time, game companies will use that as feedback. They see open world games becoming less popular, and see linear gameplay as what the people want. That's why survival horror and open world games are becoming rare.

Going by your logic, the III era games were probably the most linear ever. Doing missions to unlock other parts of the map sounds way worse than doing mission to progress the story..

Slevin77
  • Slevin77

Caporegime

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

Uh, how did this thread turned from a "I'm disappointed with V/IV/SA/Whatevertheuckever" to a car debate?

Was I not allowed to talk about the cars in GTA V? It's an aspect of the game people were debating on. And considering driving is a major part of the game I'd consider it's something worth talking about. In case you didn't see the full converation it started off with someone saying the driving mechanics were too easy and then on to the authenticity of their real life counterparts which would be tossed up to either a pro or a con of the game.

No of course you have all the rights. Its because all of a sudden we became talking about real life cars.

Oh, yeah I assume when they make a car based off a real car it's supposed to share similar qualities in the game. Sometimes they get it right as rain other times it's confusing. Personally I love the cars in GTA V never have I seen so many great representation of real cars in their series. They've always modeled cars after real ones but it was V that took it to another level. I see my favorites like the Dodge Challenger, Chevy Camero, the lovely Ford GT, Corvette and my absolute favorite the new flight pack gave me the Classic Corvette and it's beautiful. Chalk that up to a pro... sorry now I'm just talking about cars lol can't help myself.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

Me and him were talking about the physics. Does it matter?

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

#DoomFan4EverAfter

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

Me and him were talking about the physics. Does it matter?

Avovbe poster already answered it. ;)

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, I always carry my heat in these streets

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:51 PM Edited by Official General, 25 August 2014 - 09:55 PM.

@ golf wang

Simply free roaming to sight see and cause havoc is a very linear way of having fun outside of the story, but I respect your opinion. 

Personally I'd say that's about as non-linear as it gets. No boundaries, no objective, just doing your own thing. Missions, side missions and activities are the linear things to do, as they're A - B - C events. 

I agree that there should be more activities, just because I want to play this game frequently and it is important to have variety. I don't think the crime related activities you've mentioned are entirely appropriate for V, as we've discussed before, though perhaps it would have made sense to have them if any of the protags was actually building a crime empire, rather than taking down big-take scores for one-off lump sums. 

The V protags aren't career criminals in the obvious organised crime sense (I'm replaying LCS right now and it's definitely about a very different type of criminal). If they'd had a single protag that came from that sort of crime lifestyle, the activities such as drug running (in the old GTA sense, not Trevor's dune buggy adventures), pimping and so on would have been completely appropriate (and I'd probably join you in questioning why they're not there).

Sorry I disagree mate.

Franklin would have definitely been more than appropriate for side missions to do with gangs and hood stuff, regardless of the fact that you personally dislike it. In Franklin's case, it does not always have to be about empire-building, he could just be given a number of reasons to go back to the hood and get pulled into gang action once again. He could have easily been given a role to assist Lamar and help his Families gang back to their former glory, and side missions in the form of advanced gang wars, drug-dealing, stash house robberies, and more could have fitted this perfectly. Even other hood stuff could have been great as mini activities, like dice games on the block for gambling, basketball games in the ghetto court, weightlifting in the gym etc. As for Trevor, the empire-building could easily apply to him, it was his aim to become the head honcho crime lord out there in Blaine County, this needs no further explanation. Michael could have side missions that were more to do with either his family, or the movie industry. The bottom line is that it's Rockstar's job to write the scripts and provide the background to give us decent, fun and interesting things to do as far as side missions to do with crime are concerned.

Ok the game is about heists, give us mini games to steal drugs, burgle rich homes, mini-hold ups of small banks and jewelry stores. Ok Franklin is moving away from gangbangin', let us have him help Lamar with gang action in the hood. Allow us create a small criminal empire for Trevor in the desert towns. Give us something f*cking worthwhile to do, not bullsh*t powder-puff like Strangers and Freaks, yoga, triathlon and towing trucks !

Franklin is a gang member, and Trevor is the head of his own budding crime syndicate. How you can you say that V protags are not career criminals in the organized crime sense ? Michael is the only one of out of the three who can clearly be considered not to have any connection to organized crime or gangs. 

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

We're not strong, We're injustice strong !!!

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:59 PM Edited by rahjee, 25 August 2014 - 10:22 PM.

I personally liked it. A few people just go too attached to IV or wanted A SA clone.

• ten-a-penny and Antontheman like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, I always carry my heat in these streets

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:06 PM Edited by Official General, 25 August 2014 - 10:06 PM.

I personally liked it. A few people just go too attached to IV and wanted A SA clone.

You get too attached to IV, but you want a game exactly like SA ? Yep, it makes perfect sense  :sarcasm:

Wasteman. 

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

We're not strong, We're injustice strong !!!

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:21 PM

i like gta v but is not good like previous gtas.

The reasons are

Very less activties

Bad map design

bad driving physics

physics downgraded so much from gta 4

less interiors

very difficult to fight and escape cops.

bad online

very few interiors

empty countryside

short story

fewer side missions

fewer minigames

weak protagonists

bad textures at countryside

not enough variety of animals

not enough trees

not enough desert

not enough forest

dialogues are bad compared to previous gtas

very less pedestrians

very less traffic

no gangwars

airports too close to each others

and so many other reasons.

i like gta v but is not good like previous gtas.

The reasons are

Very less activties

Bad map design

bad driving physics

physics downgraded so much from gta 4

less interiors

very difficult to fight and escape cops.

bad online

very few interiors

empty countryside

short story

fewer side missions

fewer minigames

weak protagonists

bad textures at countryside

not enough variety of animals

not enough trees

not enough desert

not enough forest

dialogues are bad compared to previous gtas

very less pedestrians

very less traffic

no gangwars

airports too close to each others

and so many other reasons.

Those reason are either false or just dumb.

I personally liked it. A few people just go too attached to IV and wanted A SA clone.

You get too attached to IV, but you want a game exactly like SA ? Yep, it makes perfect sense  :sarcasm:

Wasteman. 

I meant to put "or". Now get off my back, General!

• ten-a-penny and Stoney0503 like this

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

Yeah, we happy

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:40 AM

I think this thread has had its time. So I'm locking it. If anyone has a problem with this decision I'm more than willing to discuss it over PM.

• Fuzzknuckles, Andreas, theGTAking101 and 4 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users