Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why do people hate/dislike GTA V so much?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
852 replies to this topic

Poll: Why do people hate/dislike GTA V so much? (385 member(s) have cast votes)

Why do you hate it?

1. Because of the short storyline!!! (29 votes [7.53%])

Percentage of vote: 7.53%

2. Becaue of the bad missions (3 votes [0.78%])

Percentage of vote: 0.78%

3. Because of the ending (4 votes [1.04%])

Percentage of vote: 1.04%

4. Because it doesn't have replayabillity (25 votes [6.49%])

Percentage of vote: 6.49%

5. Because of the protagonists (3 votes [0.78%])

Percentage of vote: 0.78%

6. Because it did not have features that online had. (31 votes [8.05%])

Percentage of vote: 8.05%

7. because the storyline sucked and I disliked/hated it! (28 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

8. I did not dislike, nor hate GTA V. (262 votes [68.05%])

Percentage of vote: 68.05%

Vote
wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:41 PM Edited by Barefoot Tiger, 25 August 2014 - 07:18 PM.

Now, I am not saying every single person in the planet hates GTA V, and I am not poking on other peoples opinion: but lets be honest, alot of people dislike/hate GTA V, and I have seen more GTA V haters than GTA IV haters in this section and in this entire forum. I am not defending V, hell I am not the biggest V fan either, but I don't hate it either. People (including me) got mad because of R* s decision to focus on Online and give 2 sh*ts about SP, and I can understand why V may have come as a disappointment. But because of the story line? Yeah people critize V for having the worst storyline in GTA history (I don't exactly agree with it, but yeah V did have somewhat of a disappointing storyline in some areas) but lets be honest, GTA V has amazing mechanics, graphics, and also good replay-abilly IMO. 

Like I said, alot of people hated V because of the 69 mission storyline. I can understand, it was short for GTA -standard, but it was divided in its own way. If you play the story once or twice, you will know what I mean. The missions also has some new stuff to do if you play it again, some features you may have forgotten. The FIB part was dull, I can agree: but heists was very fun, and (not to hate on IV) was hell of a lot better than alot of missions that was in GTA IV. 

Mechanics? I don't need to say anything, GTA V's shooting, driving, cover system, flying, etc etc was very good. I can't beileve that people said that GTA IV's driving was much better than V's driving.. Of course, that's his/her opinion, but whatever. There was also a thread called 'Are you satisfied with V?' And over a hundred people voted No. I was pretty surprised by this.

Protagonists - people were also, and I was surprised by this too: disappointed with the 3 protagonists. Of course, **Spoilers******** everybody automatically hated Trevor because he stumped Johnny Klebitz to death (Wich wasn't that bad afterwards when you think about it) and I heard people say they took Option A because he killed Johnny.... That also left alot of JK fanboys and Lost MC fanboys pissy and mad over Trevor, calling him the worst protagonist of all time, and put it as a main point to hate GTA V. Now, Michael - people hated him too. Alot of people liked him (including me, he is one of my favourite protagonists) but they said he was too much about the American Satire cliché, american dream cliché, etc etc etc: and that he was annoying sometimes... I won't even get into it because IMO it's as stupid as hating Trevor and automatically disliking V for it. Franklin on the other hand, I can understand why some people hated him: and does people who argued about him had good points: he didn't have any good backstory and character development. Now, that I can agree. Franklin was in fact pretty boring in the entire story, but once again: its not a factor to exactly dislike V for it.

Now, GTA Online.. I won't even go there, because I HATE GTA Online myself. Alot of people will disagree with me, but yeah. I thought Online was a factor beacause of V's poor ending, and alot of features that wasn't in SP either

So all and all: I am not here to poke on other peoples opinion, and I sure as hell am not defending GTA V (If you include GTA: Online in that way, I am not even close to defend it).

• Kalerney, Journey_95, Chips237 and 3 others like this

Memory Lanes
  • Memory Lanes

V is on PC

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:50 PM

I hate it because there is no ice cream truck to give me ice cream.

• Xx-ADITYA-xX, Osho, IDAS Leader and 3 others like this

lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:54 PM

Trolls,  self entitled feeling people.

• Fuzzknuckles, Luna Lovegood, ?!=+_- and 10 others like this

TJGM
  • TJGM

Politically incorrect.

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Ireland
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:55 PM Edited by TJGM, 07 August 2014 - 07:00 PM.

I just wasn't impressed by the game at all. The countryside was bland and lacked detail, the desert was way too small and honestly shouldn't have been added at all, the weapons are the most bland weapons in any GTA if you ask me, story is probably the worst than any other 3d GTA, the story was also rushed, the characters were horrible and the weapon attachment system was terrible and honestly wasted potential..

The cover system while better than any other GTA still wasn't as good after I had played a game like The Last of Us which puts the player into cover smoothly as soon as they come near a wall or some form of cover, it's immersive and feels natural. Lack of crouch is also another reason why the cover system isn't as great as it could be, pretty stupid to be removed and get replaced with something as stupid as "stealth mode".

Overall I wouldn't call it a terrible game, but it certainly didn't live up to my expectations and I thought it was rushed compared to any other R* game that recently released. Much better games out there to be playing right now if you ask me, even other GTA games.

• tom_p1980, LeonTheKiller, GTA fan from the United Kingdom and 8 others like this

Andreas
  • Andreas

Leone Family Mafia

• GTA Series Staff
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:56 PM Edited by Andreas, 07 August 2014 - 07:00 PM.

If I recall correctly, the forum was far worse when GTA IV was released. I mean, it's true that there are a ton of complaint threads and that it looks like the game gets a lot of hate, but it could be worse. It's not necessarily hate though, in my experience. If you ask me about my opinion on San Andreas, then I will say what I dislike about the game and not so much what I like or love about it, yet I don't really hate it. It's more the opposite, in fact.

I think a lot of people are like that, and that is why it looks like V endlessly receives hate. I think that's a result of being a passionate fan of the series. Not everyone will feel that way, though.
  • gamerzworld, ClaudeSpeed1911, adictoGTA and 7 others like this

iCynical1018
  • iCynical1018

Foot Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

None of the abov, its because R* falsely advertised the game and hyped it up and left us without features that a game 10 years old has... SA

• tom_p1980, beretta-gt88, B Dawg and 12 others like this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:00 PM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 07 August 2014 - 07:02 PM.

If I recall correctly, the forum was far worse when GTA IV was released. 

It absolutely was.

GTA V doesn't even get that much hate. It's the loud minority on this forum.

I mean, look at this poll. It's a thread specifically about dislike and hate, and yet, the voters mostly voted "I do not dislike/hate GTA V"

Criticisms, on the other hand, are more in numbers. 

R* falsely advertised the game

If I may ask; how?

left us without features that a game 10 years old has... SA

Did you seriously expect every feature from previous games?  

• Fuzzknuckles, Spider-Vice, adictoGTA and 4 others like this

TheTechPoTaToCHIP
  • TheTechPoTaToCHIP

Tech Knight

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:00 PM

Trolls, self entitled assholes and people with nostalgia goggles that make beer goggles look mild in comparison. And whoever says there is no replayability is either trolling, didn't actually try a second playthrough and simply say there isn't or too dumb to realize they could actually make different choices in the heists or the endings. 

• Fuzzknuckles, ?!=+_-, ten-a-penny and 2 others like this

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

If I recall correctly, the forum was far worse when GTA IV was released. I mean, it's true that there are a ton of complaint threads and that it looks like the game gets a lot of hate, but it could be worse. It's not necessarily hate though, in my experience. If you ask me about my opinion on San Andreas, then I will say what I dislike about the game and not so much what I like or love about it, yet I don't really hate it. It's more the opposite, in fact.

I think a lot of people are like that, and that is why it looks like V endlessly receives hate. I think that's a result of being a passionate fan of the series. Not everyone will feel that way, though.

Well, I can honestly say I wasn't in this forum back then, but you may be right.

Also, another thing I wanted to point out in the post was that people did in fact over hype the game pre-release. This game got so much hate because people thought that GTA V would be the biggest game of the entire f*cking century or something, and that it would be the number one top game of all time: the greatest GTA game of all time, and the greatest thing in planet earth etc etc etc. Lets be honest: back when the trailers came out, 90%  of the comments in the videos was ''this game is gunna be game of the entire decade!!!'' And stuff like that. Now, of course, overhype a game if you want, but blame yourself if you hated it later. That's what I always thought about V too. 

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:08 PM

People overhyped the game, therefore weren't happy with the result that R* gave us. Personally, I LOVE GTA V. It's my all-time favorite game. It's just that some people don't appreciate it for what it is.
  • Xx-ADITYA-xX, adictoGTA, SCOOBASTEEB and 2 others like this

..GhosT
  • ..GhosT

GTAForums Veteran

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

I dislike that they made this game piss easy compared to previous GTAs.

• tom_p1980 and Xx-ADITYA-xX like this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

I remember the threads pre-release:

"How many GOTY awards do you think GTA V is gonna win?"

"Is GTA V going to be the Game of the Century?"

"Is GTA V going to be the best game of all time?"

"X is confirmed!" <------------------ (Just looking at a screenshot, wasn't confirmed in any way whatsoever)

• StarFyer, Xx-ADITYA-xX, Journey_95 and 4 others like this

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:16 PM

I remember the threads pre-release:

"How many GOTY awards do you think GTA V is gonna win?"

"Is GTA V going to be the Game of the Century?"

"Is GTA V going to be the best game of all time?"

"X is confirmed!" <------------------ (Just looking at a screenshot, wasn't confirmed in any way whatsoever)

Haha yeah. And post release 

''************SPOILER ALERT**************************TREVOR KILLED JOHNNY! Huge plot twist!''

''Why does the game only have 69 missions????!??''

''GTA V heists are only for the FIB and not for the protagonists!!!!!''

''I was not satisfied with GTA V''

''GTA V was a disappointment to me.''

''GTA V had the worst storyline of all time!''

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:22 PM

Why is there no option "All of the above reasons," because that's why I dislike this game. 

• tom_p1980, Greasepalms, Osho and 3 others like this

Insincere
  • Insincere

Hustler

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

IMO GTA V is too mainstream, because of that its flat, dull and oversimplified in many ways, I hate it.

I can live with it, but I can't hide disappointment

obviously R* wanted to earn as much money as they can. And they did earn it! Im cool with that.

I can only hope that next GTA will be more like Red Dead Redemption or GTA IV, since now they have sh*t tone of money to develop proper, more refined game. Without that plastic fake bullsh*t vibe from V, average story and simple game mechanics for sunday players just to squeeze as much money as possible,

PS. maybe PC version change my opinion since few bad things about V might have something to do with that famous last gen consoles limitations :whistle:

• sqre, Xx-ADITYA-xX, Osho and 1 other like this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:24 PM

Why is there no option "All of the above reasons," because that's why I dislike this game. 

You dislike the game by not disliking the game? Look at the last option ;) lol
  • ten-a-penny, Scaglietti, oCrapaCreeper and 1 other like this

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

Because it's not IV or any other past GTA, I guess. 

Why do people dislike anything? Reasons!

• IDAS Leader likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:30 PM

Null vote. I don't like like V but I don't hate/dislike it either. It just feels like Rockstar could've done so much better. They need to realize that not everything's about map size or the amount of content a game has on paper, even if some of the morons in their fanbase state otherwise.

• tom_p1980, Xx-ADITYA-xX, Voggs and 1 other like this

Voggs
  • Voggs

Dance Dance Thief

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

Or... you can't please everyone. The game has lots of things to offer but we all have different opinions, that doesn't make anyone an asshole.

I said this in other threads... the game is fine, but not what I expected at all if we talk about it's announce/Trailer 1 time. I would've liked it even more if they didn't lied to us, or if I had never seen Trailer 1, it's a big disappointment, and to be honest I don't think New Gen version will make justice of this, I'm not believing anything until I see every difference. As ridiculous as this may sound I still keep dreaming with that beautiful -now heavily downgraded- Mt Chiliad scene, I've seen so many times that trailer before and after release that I keep thinking it can't be the same game I'm playing, it just feels completely different, guess I was overhyped too much as well, but they did lie, they showed us a much more better and detailed version, which hopefully is the one they're going to release this fall.

Aside from that, the story was forgettable, I got bored quicker than I thought I would, I don't find the protagonists that interesting anymore.

Null vote too.

• The7thOne likes this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

You dislike the game by not disliking the game? Look at the last option ;) lol

Oh, what a smartass. All of the above without last one? Are you happy now, nitpicker? 

• Greasepalms and Osho like this

HoleInTheSky
  • HoleInTheSky

Dullard

• Members
  • England

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

I wasn't on these forums when GTA IV was released, but I keep hearing how so many hated it. No single game will please everyone. 

• IDAS Leader, iainspad and AWOL77 like this

Misunderstood
  • Misunderstood

Keep up, motherf*cker!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

I put over 100 hours into GTA SA. I put even more hours of GTA IV/Episodes/Multiplayer. I played through GTA V' story once and was bored for most of it. I played GTA O to level 29 and got bored and quit it. I just didn't enjoy any of it. I wouldn't say it's a terrible game, it's just not anything special or anything I will remember in two years. I am still to this day playing GTA SA and I will be still playing it five years from now. I will still be playing IV and its episodes two years from now. I will not be playing GTA V by the end of 2015, I can tell you that.

• Osho likes this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:49 PM

Wow, aggressive. Lighten up a bit, yeah? I was obviously just messing around.

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

Or... you can't please everyone. The game has lots of things to offer but we all have different opinions, that doesn't make anyone an asshole.

I said this in other threads... the game is fine, but not what I expected at all if we talk about it's announce/Trailer 1 time. I would've liked it even more if they didn't lied to us, or if I had never seen Trailer 1, it's a big disappointment, and to be honest I don't think New Gen version will make justice of this, I'm not believing anything until I see every difference. As ridiculous as this may sound I still keep dreaming with that beautiful -now heavily downgraded- Mt Chiliad scene, I've seen so many times that trailer before and after release that I keep thinking it can't be the same game I'm playing, it just feels completely different, guess I was overhyped too much as well, but they did lie, they showed us a much more better and detailed version, which hopefully is the one they're going to release this fall.

Aside from that, the story was forgettable, I got bored quicker than I thought I would, I don't find the protagonists that interesting anymore.

Null vote too.

I never said anyone is an asshole in the post. I also talked about opinions and stuff, I gave a small warning in the beginning of the post about it

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

I don't hate it.

It's not perfect, it's overrated, yet still remains one of my favourite recent instalments. I can forgive all the other flaws, but the over-aggressive wanted system ruins it for me.

• Xx-ADITYA-xX and iainspad like this

Voggs
  • Voggs

Dance Dance Thief

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

-quote-

I never said anyone is an asshole in the post. I also talked about opinions and stuff, I gave a small warning in the beginning of the post about it

Yeah, I know you didn't but someone else did.

VCR
  • VCR

plus+

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

because we r betches

Breaking Bad
  • Breaking Bad

I am the one who knocks.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:37 PM

People had unrealistic expectations. Even I did myself, when it was approaching the Final stages before release. I was thinking to myself "This is going to be the best game ever, imagine all the things we can do." Really overhyping it. 

I was quite disappointed when I finished it, as I felt the story went quite quick. I was one that took my time to, and didn't just rush to the next main mission. 

Since recently though, I've been appreciating it more. Online isn't boring by any means, but I'm pretty burned out on it, so I've been going through the story again and working towards 100% completion. It's bringing back how I felt in September. I'm thinking of doing another Playthrough and making it more difficult for myself, setting myself challenges like only using a Pistol for a mission etc. That could be fun.

I've been going back to Old GTA's too, and my my do you realize how much work went in to this game. Of course the nostalgia makes Vice City etc amazing, along with the fact they are great games, but the visual improvements are still mind blowing to me.

Memory Lanes
  • Memory Lanes

V is on PC

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:38 PM Edited by GtaV Is Coming To Pc, 07 August 2014 - 08:42 PM.

I overhyped myself because of trailers 1 and 2, and then I purchased the game and found out that there were missing features and downgraded graphics. I will be upset if the PC version doesn't have the heat effects, lighting, foliage, and little details that trailer 1 had, especially since I also purchased Watch Dogs and getting a downgraded buggy version of what we saw before.

Mista J
  • Mista J

I can't wait to show you my toys...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

They hate it because they're stuck in the past.
  • TheProcrastinatingMath and BLOOD-MOND like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users