Photo

Which desktop PC?

6 replies to this topic
visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:35 PM

I'm building a home cinema and the idea of also having a desktop PC hooked up to it is greatly appealling. The market is a minefield and I'm clueless.

I need it for rapid, hassle-free web browsing, with all the range of web features a normal PC enjoys, such as being able to use a wireless, illuminated keyboard, saving images to the hard drive (how does one move the cursor on a desktop PC? Without a mouse, without a solid surface to rest it on? I'd need a keyboard with one of them roller ball things right?).

I need it to be:

- Small, ideally not more than eight inches in any direction.

- Quiet and cool: no jet turbine cooling fans please.

- Have a HDMI 1.4 in and out; the PC will be an integral part of the overall system hooked up to my receiver and through there to my display. 

- Available in Italy.

Budget isn't an excessive concern; I'm willing to spend a little more to get a quality product. It'd be nice to be able to play games on it but of course then I start getting into "build it youself" territory, and I'm utterly clueless at any of that. I don't understand half the acronyms involved, GPU, CPU, RAM, it's all alphabet soup to me lol  :miranda:

If I could get one that I can play games on (I'd have to overhaul it every six month or so right?), I'd like to play with a controller...

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

My first suggestion would be to just get something like a Roku, AppleTV, Chromecast or Western Digital TV. There's no browser but you can get most of your streaming video and audio from any one of these. Most also have a way to getting photos as well as video and audio on your computer to the device to be displayed on the TV as well.

If you search Google for media center PC or HTPC and you can find a case and details on what to look for to build and the parts, as well as wireless keyboards and "air" mouse.

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:25 PM

Could something like this meet my needs?

http://cgi.ebay.it/w...em=161387033266

It's especially vital as I've just found out the PS4 I plan to get doesn't support music or pictures or video. Madness. I suppose I could only hook this up to the internet via cable and not WiFi, unless I use one of them USB WiFi affairs?

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:02 PM

My issue is that it says it has 2x SSDs (listed as SSHD but whatever) at 500GB each, and yet the whole thing is going for 175EUR which works out to be about $234USD and yet the only Samsung 500GB SSDs I can find are about $280USD each.

Ryan
  • Ryan

• Canada

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:47 PM

My issue is that it says it has 2x SSDs (listed as SSHD but whatever) at 500GB each, and yet the whole thing is going for 175EUR which works out to be about $234USD and yet the only Samsung 500GB SSDs I can find are about $280USD each.

They're Solid State Hybrid Drives so basically they're 500GB platter drives but with a small 8 or 16GB SSD chip built in for caching. 

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:11 PM

Forgot about the hybrids

Android
  • Android

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Best Mobile OS
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

visionist, how did everything work out? Did you end up with a system yet?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users