Photo

The Mercenaries games.

23 replies to this topic
The Mysterious One
  • The Mysterious One

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:08 AM

Who here has played them? I have both games and I haven't played them in quite a while. I remember thinking that the first game was awesome. I liked how you were able to some missions for different factions and if I recall, I remember how each character you played as knew certain languages like for the character Jennifer Mui, she knew Chinese and when the leader of the Chinese faction spoke the language, the subtitles would read he was saying, same with Chris Jacobs and the Korean language, Mattias Nilson and the Russian language.

Also, I remember the parts when you could get more money by capturing some High Value Targets and you get the full bounty if captured alive, and only half if you kill the target.

As for the second, I could very well say that it was not bad, but it had a lot of flaws. One was that you had to buy some stuff from shops owned by factions like the petroleum company, the Haitian pirates, the Venezuelan guerrilla faction and later on, the Chinese and the Allied Nations. I liked it better how in the first one, the Russian Mob had a lot of things you could buy like cars or weapons, and even the air strikes. In the second one, you had to buy it from the shops and you could only buy so much if needed and then you run out.

What did you think of these games?

• fireguy109 and Zello like this

gta_fan28
  • gta_fan28

Boy Cute

• Members

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:12 AM

Yeah I really like the The first Mercenaries but the 2nd one I didn't play it.. I like how the characters jacked a vehicles it's really cool when stealing helicopters and tanks..

TheFunkyBunch
  • TheFunkyBunch

5 Ft 8 Of Pure Sexiness

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:21 AM Edited by TheFunkyBunch, 07 August 2014 - 02:22 AM.

their OK  i cant really remember much of the first i think it was set in Korea? other than that it was Forgettable.

the 2nd just Reminded me of Just cause 2. (not really a good thing)  

gta_fan28
  • gta_fan28

Boy Cute

• Members

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:18 AM

Yeah it was in North Korea...It's great game especially the first one..

• Zello likes this

The Mysterious One
  • The Mysterious One

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:03 AM

Yeah I really like the The first Mercenaries but the 2nd one I didn't play it.. I like how the characters jacked a vehicles it's really cool when stealing helicopters and tanks..

I still remember how the South Korean faction had a helicopter that had both anti-tank missiles and anti-air missiles. Too bad the chopper was rare.

Biohazard Abyss!
  • Biohazard Abyss!

My word is law.

• Members
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:13 AM

The second one was great, never played the first.  Only gripe I had with the game is that when playing coop, you couldn't move too far away form each other, so I really only played solo as you feel restricted when with another player.  Also even though the mass destruction and such is great, the story was very weak.

A great game to fool around in, especially with cheats so you can have an infinite amount of nukes to drop in the world, haha.  

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Yardie Achievement Award

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

First game is one of the best PS2 games of all time. There was nothing else like it. There still isn't. The interesting thing was how the technical limitations of consoles back then meant that they had to find a way to get around low view distance. They did it with "fog of war" and surprisingly that made the atmosphere amazing. It really made the setting seem like a real war torn place.

• Voodoo, AndyGanteks, fireguy109 and 2 others like this

gta_aus
  • gta_aus

Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:54 AM

I loved world in flames. My favourite thing to do was destroying buildings, watch them come crumbling down to rubble. That alone was amazing.

Moth
  • Moth

Canis Canem Edit

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:09 AM

I loved world in flames. My favourite thing to do was destroying buildings, watch them come crumbling down to rubble. That alone was amazing.

Red Faction Guerrilla did a better a job at that. 

While at the time I enjoyed WiF, it hasn't aged well. Plus it was lackluster, when Mercs 1 was such a great game.

• Zello likes this

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:01 AM Edited by Daz, 11 August 2014 - 10:05 AM.

I still consider the first Mercenaries game as one of the insanely incredible games of the PS2 era. The game was breathtaking. So much content, so many areas, so many unique cold war vehicles. I spent so many hours on it. Even to the point of running around wearing the Indiana Jones skin with cheats.

The second game however was an unfinished mess. It had co-op which was almost it's only redeeming factor, however aside from the first mission and last and possibly one in between, there were no other missions, the rest of the game consisted of taking over bases in what would be considered some basic side activity in any other game. There was nothing there, nothing like the previous game. There was nothing wrong with the deck of cards approach, it was unique and it worked well. It made sense. Mercs 2 didn't at all.

It had some cool stuff sure, but it was insanely buggy and in co-op, falling out of your helicopter whenever your friend was in one would cause you to fall to your death, and then end up with a flashing red screen glitched on until you died and got revived a second time. The shooting mechanics sucked and it was actually MORE accurate to fire you weapon from the hip than it was to hold the left trigger and aim your rifle. So many animation glitches, holding pistols like rifles and rifles like pistols.

TEDIOUS AS f*ck quick time events to steal vehicles. Most were fine but to steal an M1 Abrams you had to do some annoying sequence that would always f*ck up because you were asked to bash a single button a number of times and it would then switch to a different button but because you were always bashing the other button it would always make you fail it.

Anyway, in short, we need a HD remake of Mercenaries, with co-op added. And the second failed to match what the first offered.

Now if they made a thrid, next gen ONLY with full story co-op with up to 3 or 4 people with a range of characters or your own user created characters with a giant map with endless sandbox fun. That would be worth throwing my money at, hard.

But pandemic are dead so we need the remnants of the studio to take it somewhere else. WE NEED ANOTHER.

A military version of GTA has always been my wet dream.

• fireguy109, Detective Phelps, Zello and 1 other like this

Biohazard Abyss!
  • Biohazard Abyss!

My word is law.

• Members
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

TEDIOUS AS f*ck quick time events to steal vehicles. Most were fine but to steal an M1 Abrams you had to do some annoying sequence that would always f*ck up because you were asked to bash a single button a number of times and it would then switch to a different button but because you were always bashing the other button it would always make you fail it.

LMAO I remember this.  You'd have to always fight the tank driver over the grenade attached to their chest, and if you failed they just bitch-smacked you and your character went completely limp, awkwardly rag-dolling and sliding down off the tank.

• Daz likes this

J-B
  • J-B

Syrup Drenched

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

I loved Mercs 2. It was unpolished as f*ck(due to EA being rush happy c*nts), but fun as hell.

I dream of another Mercs game properly made in the Frostbite engine. Mercs Inc is in development hell as far as I know, so this series is dead for the time being.

I'm pretty excited for Crackdown 3 since they've said they're gonna use that cloud server processing stuff to allow for massive destruction. Should be pretty good.

The Mysterious One
  • The Mysterious One

Snitch

• Members

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:06 PM Edited by The Mysterious One, 15 August 2014 - 02:51 AM.

LMAO I remember this.  You'd have to always fight the tank driver over the grenade attached to their chest, and if you failed they just bitch-smacked you and your character went completely limp, awkwardly rag-dolling and sliding down off the tank.

Oh, man, this brought back bad memories of "Mercenaries 2." At least in the first game when trying to hijack a tank, you would see your character climb onto the cannon and run on it (Man, I loved that bit, no matter how impossible it is to keep balanced on it) and open up the tank and throw a grenade in it. In the second game, you had to do this QTE of fighting the driver. It was so awkward.

One thing I never truly understood about the second game is why the PMC had to recruit members for the team. It's been years since I've played it, but I remember how you had missions to recruit a Venezuelan female mechanic, an Irish helicopter pilot and a Russian airplane pilot who was clearly the comic relief. I liked how Fiona played a role in the game as she was seen whereas in the first game she wasn't, despite a character model being made for her, as seen in the instruction manual. I wonder if Pandemic were going to do a cutscene in the intro and it was supposed to show her. The only real cutscenes in the game were the news reports after capturing the Aces of a suit, which were like the final missions of the chapters.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

The Night Is Like A Dagger, Long And Cold And Sharp

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:21 AM

I own Mercenaries 2 but have never played it. Seems interesting though I just haven't found the motivation to play it yet. 

Zello
  • Zello

Hired Gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

I loved Mercs 1 I had it on my old xbox but my disc broke later I got Mercs 2 which was some crap thanks to EA the games were fun and it was nice to see a military version of GTA too bad pandemic shut down and there won't be another game around in the future.

I hope some studio buys the rights to the series and reboots it (Kinda like True crime becoming Sleeping dogs)

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

I never played the first game. I have Mercenaries 2 on PS3 and PC. Didn't really play it much for personal reasons. Then EA shut down the servers, so even if I did want to play it again it would freeze up the console unless I were to sign out of PSN to stop the game from trying to access the internet.

I have to say even though I didn't play Mercenaries 2 much, I was still looking forward to Mercenaries 3 which was set in Cuba during the 60s. Unfortunately EA happened and the studio got shut down.

Red Faction Guerrilla did a better a job at that. 

While at the time I enjoyed WiF, it hasn't aged well. Plus it was lackluster, when Mercs 1 was such a great game.

I love Red Faction Guerrilla. I just might reinstall it actually.

Too bad that there isn't a tool to rebuild structures that were demolished. There's a mod on PC that let's you use a special gun that reconstructs most stuff, but it doesn't work on certain things like the support of bridges.

Vanto
  • Vanto

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:58 PM

Eh, does The Expendabros count as a Mercenaries game?

Zello
  • Zello

Hired Gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:32 PM Edited by Zello, 24 August 2014 - 11:36 PM.

So this is the last known gameplay of Mercs 3 after that pandemic closed and nothing has been heard since

I wish someone would make a new Mercs game make it a bit more serious maybe add some of the elements of The Godfather II game with how you run a crew but instead running a PMC along with the combat from Spec Ops the Line and you got a great game.

J-B
  • J-B

Syrup Drenched

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:55 PM

Drop that serious bullsh*t. They already ruined Army of Two by making it more serious.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Pent Kaul

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:19 AM

I played literally 5 minutes of Mercenaries 1 at my brother's house. As far as Mercenaries 2 went, I got suckered into buying it through the commercial. It wasn't the best game, but it was far from the worst.

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

"Time moves forward, and nothing changes"- Max Payne

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:34 AM

Drop that serious bullsh*t. They already ruined Army of Two by making it more serious.

Lol, maybe something like army of two the 40th day.

Kowai7108
  • Kowai7108

Life is wind machine!

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

So now I'm interested to buy this game.So is there any big differences between the PS2 and PS3 version?Because I can save quite some money getting the ps2 version.

The Mysterious One
  • The Mysterious One

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

So now I'm interested to buy this game.So is there any big differences between the PS2 and PS3 version?Because I can save quite some money getting the ps2 version.

I have only watched videos on YouTube of the PS2 version. Not only are there graphical differences but also musical differences. I have read that some features were left out of the PS2 version. I am sure that you can find the PS3 version for cheap these days.

• Kowai7108 likes this

J-B
  • J-B

Syrup Drenched

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

Mercs 2 on PS3/360 can be bought on ebay for like $5-10. There's no reason to buy the vastly inferior PS2 version.

• Kowai7108 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users