Photo

Should GTA have a gay protagonist?

176 replies to this topic
lol232
  • lol232

Got room for one more?

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:50 PM Edited by lol232, 21 August 2014 - 05:50 PM.

Seriously, I'd rather have an cold, asexual, Terminator protagonist who doesn't give a jack sh*t but wouldn't do stupid sh*t like Trevor.
  • Street Mix, Bender and matajuegos01 like this

Nopheros
  • Nopheros

Hopplös Kanin

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:52 PM

I wouldn't give two sh*ts if the protagonist was gay. It would only be a game and I don't go around all day thinking that Franklin is so straight that he's lingering for pussay right now, I should start my game and find my boy Franklin a prostitute or try and get him and Tanisha or whatever back together, they are so cute ZOMG.

• Severe likes this

AceThaCreator
  • AceThaCreator

B*tch Dont Kill My Vibe

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

Knowing R* they will put TOO much male on male affection scenes in this game just to screw with us knowing how sexually perverted they are.

All those 69 jokes, jesus. makes me wonder if rockstar themselves are gay or seriously perverted.
They gotta be if they have naked guys hanging out on a mountain and have the female characters showering with bikini tops and strippers not taking off their tops in lap dances online.

Sergiu
  • Sergiu

EQUANOX™

• GTA Mods Staff
  • European-Union
  • Best WIP Mod 2014 [Grand Theft Auto 3D]

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:18 PM

Knowing R* they will put TOO much male on male affection scenes in this game just to screw with us knowing how sexually perverted they are.

All those 69 jokes, jesus. makes me wonder if rockstar themselves are gay or seriously perverted.

How about both?

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• BUSTED!
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:46 PM Edited by Joe Chip, 21 August 2014 - 06:47 PM.

fwiw there's no way to tell whether someone's gay from the way they act, or the jokes they make. You can assume by their behavior all you want, but likening homosexuality to perversion and over-sexuality is exactly what kills their movement for a lot of people. :/

I liked that Jimmy Hopkins had alternative options if that was what the player wanted to do. GTA IV at least had males on the dating site, it would have been nice if we saw one of those implemented without it being camp. Just a normal guy who likes going bowling or something, and then a coffee option afterwards, would have been cool.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:09 PM

As it was said before,the fact that he is gay would distract us from the story itslelf,it would just make things weird,and it would affect the story and the game

But what about a woman?

It would distract from the story how? It would make things weird how? How in the hell would it certainly affect the story and game?

Lots of people seem to be making the assumption that Rockstar would shove a stereotypical flamboyant gay person through our eye sockets, if they were to make a protagonist that was gay. However, I'd guess that if anything they'd do what a few people have suggested and just make it so the protagonist can be gay by choice, unless they had some amazing master plan involving a gay protagonist.

​Note: they probably don't. Ha, rockstar making a masterful storyline. 

Feurian42
  • Feurian42

GTA WORLD POLICE

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:07 AM

Who cares? Really? Being gay has to do with sexual preference and you cannot have sex in GTA, pointless!
  • Payne likes this

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• BUSTED!
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

Who cares? Really? Being gay has to do with sexual preference and you cannot have sex in GTA, pointless!

UToVleK.gif

Not in V, but you could in the other two most recent main releases, and the characters still flirt with other characters sometimes and allude to their own sex lives. It's not a big part of the game, but neither are fingerless gloves or radio station genres. 

Severe
  • Severe

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:24 AM

Not in V

You still can in V, actually, with strippers or prostitutes. And as you say, beyond that, there are many indications of sexuality throughout the series.

Bender
  • Bender

is it christmas avatar time already?

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:55 AM Edited by RandomStunt, 22 August 2014 - 07:56 AM.

How about both?

Noting that Tom Stubbs' penis was the first nudity in GTA, i guess you're right.

excluding the hot coffee or the whorebar both in SA because you needed mods to access them.

Twerkwon9
  • Twerkwon9

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:01 AM

Can we stop discussing the statistical merits of homosexuality (1/4 people are gay? Are you retarded?) and close this thread?

ARE YOU A RETARD ONLY 1.8 PERCENT OF PEOPLE ARE GAY YOU STUPID MUTHERf*ckER.
f*ckING DUMBASS.

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

Is it just me or is everything sh*t?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None
  • Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Bloody Ungrateful 2016

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:11 AM Edited by ShootPeopleNotDope, 23 August 2014 - 08:13 AM.

I'm not sure how you would calculate those sorta statistics, as not everyone who is gay is open about it, and what's considered 'gay' is not the same across cultures. I'm not sure why the person above me is getting so upset, or where they're getting their numbers from, either.

1/4 doesn't sound too far off, though.

Tali vas Normandy
  • Tali vas Normandy

Cheers Love! The Cavalry is here!!!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

I don't think that's a good idea. Maybe have it be an option or something. To force it on you would be terrible.

TheDeathRises
  • TheDeathRises

Thug

• Members

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

If the plot calls for a gay protagonist, there shall be a gay protagonist. If the plot calls for a sassy black woman, the protagonist should be a sassy black woman. Seriously, let Rockstar do the writing. They know their stuff.

• OneManCrimeWave, Alex Wesker, Gay Tony and 1 other like this

MyDog
  • MyDog

Niko Bellic's my burazer

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

Well Omar Little was gay...and it didn't really make him any less of a badass motherf*cker. Still, I couldn't help but feel squicked during his boyfriend kissing scenes. Maybe that's homophobic to some, but that's just the way I am. I'm a straight guy, gayness ain't my thing. Two girls kissing is a different story though.

• Jerome likes this

Loosestring
  • Loosestring

Paranoid Android

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:32 PM Edited by TheUnholy, 24 August 2014 - 04:34 PM.

Then, guys let me give you a lesson on the badass homosexual stick-up kid Omar Little, furtherly.

If you hear that whistle, you better run or else you would probably get a shotgun shell up your chest.

• Zello likes this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:45 PM Edited by Zello, 24 August 2014 - 04:50 PM.

^^^^^

Omar DO NOT PLAY!!!!

• Loosestring likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:19 PM

Please, just no. This is Grand Theft Auto, not gay theft auto. Seriously, Rockstar has already proved how bad the protagonists can be. A gay protagonist will be the worst personality ever.

A gay protagonist would be a pointless gimmick but I don't see how being gay affects your personality. Am I in the wrong century or something, what is this the 18th century or somethin'? People are gay, get over it. It affects nothing but your sexuality.

I don't want Rockstar telling my kids it's ok to be gay and teaching them how to have gay sex. 

"Street Mix and robban like this."

It's funny when homophobes can't tell they're being mocked.

Street Mix seems like the worst homophobe here and he's only made one post.

• Payne likes this

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:28 AM

It can have a gay protagonist, but what difference would it make? sexual orientation is not important to the plot I guess.

• Payne and No witnesses like this

Majesty Dreamworth
  • Majesty Dreamworth

Grand Marquess of Slumbership

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:43 AM Edited by AtchooMatchew, 03 September 2014 - 02:47 AM.

"The gay community is in outrage at recent news that Rockstar's latest installment to the Grand Theft Auto series will feature a gay man as the protagonist. Many of them claim it would be demoralizing and harmful to their image, as it presents a gay character as a thieving mass murderer."

• PhoGarrett likes this

PhoGarrett
  • PhoGarrett

Formally known as dillono

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:51 AM

Grand Theft Auto, teaching our kids in America and the Middle East to be Gay!

More at 7.

Achlys
  • Achlys

You're Dying to Be With Me

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:52 AM

"The gay community is in outrage at recent news that Rockstar's latest installment to the Grand Theft Auto series will feature a gay man as the protagonist. Many of them claim it would be demoralizing and harmful to their image, as it presents a gay character as a thieving mass murderer."

You made a good point with that anecdote. But, I wouldn't think that way. On the contrary, I ould think: Finally! A Gay main character that isn't flamboyant and feminine.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:11 AM

The most important thing in protagonist is his personality, not sexual taste. If he would be interesting and likeable I couldn't care less if he's gay or not. The only thing I wouldn't like is waving the gayness flag around. He (or she) just need to be written well, but after seeing Trevor I guess that was the bottom. 

I believe it could make some noise around though. Hard to say what LGBT groups and gay haters would do if the game protagonist would be openly homosexual, but maybe nothing at all would happen. In F:NV we got homosexuals and nobody was making fuss about it. 

Cell Tennyson
  • Cell Tennyson

I will cut your soul like a SPIDER!!

• Members
  • India

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:22 AM

No Way!!

However a Hot and Sexy female Protagonist and some female cops should be interesting... :) :)

No witnesses
  • No witnesses

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:11 PM

pffff I think most if not all GTAs had a gay protagonist:
Claude: You can see the way he looks at his bosses when he gets an assignment, no wonder he's speechless

Tommy: He doesn't fight back when Phil is drunk and makes moves on him

CJ: I'm pretty sure he had some sexy time with a few male companions back when he was in Liberty City

Niko: I don't think I need to explain, do I? c;

Luis: Totally gay

Trevor: Nuff said

what?

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:21 PM

You summed your post perfectly - What?

_FRANKENSTEIN_