Should GTA have a gay protagonist?

176 replies to this topic
RandomStunt
  • RandomStunt

The freaks come out at night..

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:26 AM

it could be pretty funny, and replace the prostitutes with man prostitutes. I'm just saying man it would be funny.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:27 AM

It'd be a lot better than Trevor/Franklin, sure.

• D- Ice, Shenmue18, theGTAking101 and 11 others like this

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

"Time moves forward, and nothing changes"- Max Payne

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:29 AM Edited by maxpaynefan, 07 August 2014 - 12:30 AM.

No jk doesn't matter to me as long he doesn't feel sympathy for killing people
  • matajuegos01 likes this

RandomStunt
  • RandomStunt

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:32 AM

No jk doesn't matter to me as long he doesn't feel sympathy for killing people

"You're dead, sweetie."

• GroundZero, lolleroz, universetwisters and 18 others like this

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:35 AM

Lol
  • Smoke Cat, matajuegos01 and Blood-Is-in-Diamond like this

Bi0ha2ard_q8
  • Bi0ha2ard_q8

Scam Artist

• Members
  • Kuwait

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:39 AM

They can pull a two-fer and go for a lesbian...maybe a badass latina chick like the one in End of Watch.

• Smoke Cat and maxpaynefan like this

RandomStunt
  • RandomStunt

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:00 AM

if there will be a masturbating minigame.. the GTA will be GOTY

• D- Ice likes this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

THERE IS NO CHEESE AT THE END OF THIS MAZE. ONLY ASSF*CK.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2013 "The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story."

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:32 AM

"Should". What's with that word?

Why SHOULD the series have a gay protagonist? For the sake of having a gay protagonist. That's the mistake many TV and movie writers are making. 

There's a team of criminals, the smart guy, the tough guy, the funny guy, and then... the other archetype? The black guy, the woman, the gay guy? 

Your genes shouldn't define who you are as a character. If there's a gay protagonist for the sake of being a gay protagonist, that's stupid. His appetite for dick would be too distracting from his motivations as a character. 

Maybe soon you can casually toss a gay protagonist into a game, but I don't think that'd work in GTA without being too distracting. My same argument holds for a woman protagonist. 

• Tyla, Nicolas Chiribelo, HoleInTheSky and 10 others like this

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

AKA: BLOOD,BiiD or BloodMOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:53 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 07 August 2014 - 01:54 AM.

Cop-Buddy Gay Partners (a white cop and a black guy) :lol: lol
  • Cakelover21 likes this

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:55 AM Edited by maxpaynefan, 07 August 2014 - 01:56 AM.

A gay white cop and a black guy who is a complete badass like Samuel l jackson
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond and No witnesses like this

Bi0ha2ard_q8
  • Bi0ha2ard_q8

Scam Artist

• Members
  • Kuwait

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:09 AM

Why SHOULD the series have a gay protagonist? For the sake of having a gay protagonist. That's the mistake many TV and movie writers are making. 

There's a team of criminals, the smart guy, the tough guy, the funny guy, and then... the other archetype? The black guy, the woman, the gay guy? 

Your genes shouldn't define who you are as a character. If there's a gay protagonist for the sake of being a gay protagonist, that's stupid. His appetite for dick would be too distracting from his motivations as a character. 

Maybe soon you can casually toss a gay protagonist into a game, but I don't think that'd work in GTA without being too distracting. My same argument holds for a woman protagonist. 

How would his appetite for dick distract you exactly? I never find myself thinking about Michael's appetite for Amanda's pussy.

• mrfilmpjesmaker123 likes this

dreadluxx
  • dreadluxx

Ill do it for Mother Russia

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:09 AM

I think it would be looked down upon from the majority of players.  Think about Michael Sam (first openly gay NFL player) he's received a lot of negative attention and he's never even played a game.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:17 AM

How would his appetite for dick distract you exactly? I never find myself thinking about Michael's appetite for Amanda's pussy.

Or more appropriately, the taste of Mrs. Phillip's.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:18 AM

Maybe because roughly 98% of men are straight? I'm not saying I know how I'd react to a gay protagonist, I'm saying maybe it'd be too distracting, maybe it wouldn't be. I just don't think it's necessary. A straight guy can do anything a gay guy could do in the criminal world presumably, so why make him gay? It's a factor that adds nothing interesting to his criminal exploits.

• universetwisters, thekillerdonuts and EM_JAY_86 like this

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:19 AM Edited by maxpaynefan, 07 August 2014 - 02:20 AM.

@universe twisters I'd rather taste maude than Mrs.Philips
  • universetwisters and matajuegos01 like this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:22 AM

At least Trevor hasn't been in Maude as far as we know.

Tyla
  • Tyla

Vice Cat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:22 AM

Haw haw. Let's have a gay protagonist so we can take the piss out of them. That about sums this thread up.

Gender, orientation. Why should I care for their sexual preference if the character pertains to the formula of GTA?

• Severe, Sting4S, nobum62 and 2 others like this

TheFunkyBunch
  • TheFunkyBunch

5 Ft 8 Of Pure Sexiness

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:26 AM

Fine by me give him a boyfriend if you like.

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:26 AM

At least Trevor hasn't been in Maude as far as we know.
Bet he's been in Michael

Bi0ha2ard_q8
  • Bi0ha2ard_q8

Scam Artist

• Members
  • Kuwait

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:32 AM

Maybe because roughly 98% of men are straight? I'm not saying I know how I'd react to a gay protagonist, I'm saying maybe it'd be too distracting, maybe it wouldn't be. I just don't think it's necessary. A straight guy can do anything a gay guy could do in the criminal world presumably, so why make him gay? It's a factor that adds nothing interesting to his criminal exploits.

According to Kinsey, the father of sexology, about 50% of people are bisexual. 25% on each side are either straight or gay. Changes in attitude might have to do more with the Abrahamic religions and their perceptions. 

Judicious 7
  • Judicious 7

Compassionate

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:48 AM

According to Kinsey, the father of sexology, about 50% of people are bisexual. 25% on each side are either straight or gay. Changes in attitude might have to do more with the Abrahamic religions and their perceptions. 

Okay, I call BS on your stats with Kinsey. I won't go into arguing back with stats because it'll start a war, but based on reality, most men are straight.

OT: No, we should not have a gay protagonist. I'm with Drunken Cowboy. Like, for what reason would a homosexual fit into a game that has roots into a heterosexual male-dominated franchise like GTA?

I understand that it could possibly show a different side of society, but.. a homosexual? That sounds deliberately thrown in for controversy. It's just like having a female protagonist. It just sounds like PR bait and controversy at the door. I'm not denying that homosexuals and women aren't tough. What I am saying though is, how in the world would they fit in the universe? It would be odd, and I bet it would turn off (no pun-intended) many gamers.

I remember the reaction of some relatives and friends I knew when I told them about TBoGT. They were like, "Gay Tony? You playin as a gay guy?" It wasn't until I explained the story to them that they undestood.

But they still had a bad taste in their mouth because of the title. So having a homosexual in GTA? Nah.. I'll pass. Doesn't seem good for the franchise.

dreadluxx
  • dreadluxx

Ill do it for Mother Russia

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:54 AM Edited by dreaded_verse, 07 August 2014 - 04:54 AM.

I think if GTA is better off with a female protagonist than a gay one, but thats just my opinion.

Fact is that the majority of consumers will disapprove in a gay protagonist in a series that's, as Judicious said, generally heterosexual dominated; as proven by my Michael Sam example.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:58 AM

Can we stop discussing the statistical merits of homosexuality (1/4 people are gay? Are you retarded?) and close this thread?

• Jeansowaty likes this

Severe
  • Severe

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:05 AM Edited by Severe, 07 August 2014 - 05:11 AM.

A 'gay protagonist'? No.

A protagonist, who is gay? Sure.

To the clarify the distinction: If his main character attribute is his sexual orientation, then that character is terrible.

Edit: On the Kinsey numbers: I think the point of Kinseys work was that a lot of people repress their true sexuality due to sociological reasons, like homosexuality has not historically been very accepted, to say the least. And another point is that it's not just a a gay/straight dichotomy or even a gay/bi/straight trichotomy, but a sliding scale. Some are mostly hetero, but may experience the occassional gay impulse, others may lean more or less to either side.

Edit: Oh, and OP: 'Funny' is probably the worst reason imaginable for a gay protagonist.

• RedDagger, Bi0ha2ard_q8, Drunken Cowboy and 2 others like this

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

Player hater or hater player, or what?

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

Hm, well obviously not. I don't want a protagonist to hump on the dead body of victims he kills.. Just kidding LÖL

But honestly, no. I am not sure about a gay protagonist, I don't know if Trevor counts or not, but whatever. I don't have any reason, I just don't feel like a gay protagonist may work. 

PooyanCyrus
  • PooyanCyrus

iFruit fanboys are idiots

• Members
  • Mars
  • Best Concept Story 2013 "Grand Theft Auto: Ultimate"

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

R* still has problems for its black protagonists (CJ and Franklin) because people say "It's showing blacks bad people, murderers, etc.". It also causes problems with selling the game in several countries. So, I think not having it is better than its opposite.

A female protagonist would be better because it doesn't cause all those weird problems with selling and advertising the game.

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

Notorious fan of underground electronic music and Molly Schultz

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:56 AM

3d7594fa86a133594f4b6578c54ae092d796be29

• nobum62 and Blood-Is-in-Diamond like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Hustler

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

nope I don't want that in a GTA game and also please no female protagonist

GTA is all about real men and their phantasies

• Jeansowaty likes this

darthvader20011
  • darthvader20011

GTA 3D Mod Ped Creator

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

If that would happen, then expect a disabled Gay Hot Coffee minigame :lol:

RandomStunt
  • RandomStunt

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

Edit: Oh, and OP: 'Funny' is probably the worst reason imaginable for a gay protagonist.

The gay characters in GTA so far yet actually fit to the city's crazyness.

There's even a hotdog vendor which talks in all metaphors.

• Zello likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users