Photo

Do you think catch-up is too OP?

52 replies to this topic
AceThaCreator
  • AceThaCreator

Hiii PoWeReD

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:45 PM Edited by BlackAce23, 06 August 2014 - 02:46 PM.

Catch up is pure GARBAGE. Yesterday i was dimoing an offroad race & had the dirt bike, was driving flawless, and had a pretty big lead on everyone and what do you know some guy just catches up and passes me up as if his vehicle was loaded with NOS. But hey it was my fault for not turning it off.

BigJoe_1
  • BigJoe_1

I'll rustle your jimmies if you give me some sugar ;)

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

I just think that it's rediculous and should never have been in the game from the start. Sure low level players and players using cars with barely any upgrades are at a disadvantage, So what, It's up to them to try harder and go for first place plus quite a lot of players that use fully modded cars don't know how to handle them anyway I raced a guy in a maxed Coquette yesterday, He couldn't control the thing to save his life.

Also if catchup was real it would be like entering a 1 mile drag race with a stock nissan 240sx and asking the guy in the fully tuned skyline to slow down for you, I wouldn't happen IRL so it shouldn't happen in a game that's supposed to be as realistic as possible.

Plus the only reason catchup is still here is because R* are forced to listen to the prepubescent part of the fanbase that complain about the fact that aren't good enough at the game to race without catchup.

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

A few of you have indicated that you believe it only slows down the leader. This is false. It also does speed up the people behind the leader relative to how far behind you are. This is why you will often see people who crashed out early on be able to still make fastest laps. This is also why the OP being 25 seconds back got enough of a boost to truely catch back up. Simply slowing the leader would not accomplish this.

I do feel that the feature would have been less of a problem if they did not include the penalty to the leader. It would still allow people to get back in the action but would not hurt the better drivers. As it stands right now only the leaders dislike the feature...the other 15 drivers like it...thus it is majority appreciated and thus it stays.

Would prefer it to be default off and remove the leader penalty.
  • mistermaster7 and vipprimo like this

cjdavies
  • cjdavies

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:38 PM Edited by cjdavies, 06 August 2014 - 04:41 PM.

I would much prefer custom and catchup off. If it's something like The Long Haul, have traffic on also.

Muse182
  • Muse182

Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:51 PM

For the most part, I'd always rather it was turned off but then again it is good when there's a clusterf*ck at the beginning of a race and I'm just sat there flipped over on the wrong side of the road. When there's the dreaded big crash, it would be pretty much just luck if catch up was off. Especially on tracks like The Commute, almost always a huge crash within the first ten seconds and I have to admit it's nice to know that it's not all over. I know it looks like I'm siding with Catch Up but I'm not. Maybe people would drive a bit more carefully, I see so many people trying to pit someone and they'll either end up taking both themself and the other racer or just themselves and with 30 seconds they're right back trying to pit the same guy again.

Bring back the days of GTA IV racing.

dairyworker
  • dairyworker

I am the milk man

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:51 PM

Catchup is a horrid device that allows untalented scum to think they know how to drive.

When i host it is always, morning, clear, no traffic (a few exceptions), slipstream on, catchup off.

As far as low levels or poor people who dony have maxed out cars, good skills can overcome most performance differences in this game.

BOILER.
  • BOILER.

Big. Player. Low - Layer

• Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:07 PM

If i crash in a race, i don't want to magically catch up... Who even invented this sh*t?

Roronoa Zoro
  • Roronoa Zoro

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

The only true test of skill is turning catchup and slipstream off, they are a crutch for the weak.

Breaking Bad
  • Breaking Bad

I am the one who knocks.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:11 PM

Sometimes I hate it, but then other times I'm quite thankful for it. I'm all for realism, but who the f*ck wants to be pitted at the start and have no chance at all?  That just blows to me. It seriously happens most races with randoms, if it's a group of friends I'm playing with, then yeah I'd rather not have it on, because it makes it a lot more fun, exciting and competitive, and we ram each other as a laugh, but don't be assholes with it like randoms do.

I always try to be a nice guy in races, I try to race clean when racing with randoms, I pass them normally, but 99% of the time they will ram you off the road when they catch back up. So yeah, I hate it in that aspect and then appreciate at the same time because I have a chance to catch-up after that asshole move.

I've always been conflicted with it.

Nemesis2252
  • Nemesis2252

Arch Enemy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

catch-up is one of the WORST mechanics in the game. im sorry you cant drive worth a fk (or had a spur of bad luck with contact racing) but why should my car suffer performance because of that? should just be completely removed

cjdavies
  • cjdavies

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

I always try to be a nice guy in races, I try to race clean when racing with randoms, I pass them normally, but 99% of the time they will ram you off the road when they catch back up.

If I know they are going to overtake me, I will move over for them to overtake smoothly rather than ramming me and some ram me anyway!

vipprimo
  • vipprimo

The Most Wanted

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

I will never support catch-up, especially when like Luap said, it's a default.  Which means whenever I set-up a challenge I get pulled back automatically.  It's not a sign of skill at all and it shouldn't be in challenges of any kind, like the Independence Day Playlist forced it.  

I understand that people will use it and I wouldn't like it removed because new players sometimes need it against people who are far higher level to make sure they can get wins, etc.  but even if you're skilled you can use it against the person in first and if used incorrectly it literally brings the pit crews together take out opponents.

DopeFresh
  • DopeFresh

Member of the Dope Fresh Nation

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

we should get more money for races with catch up/slipstream off.

Scamboni
  • Scamboni

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • Cambodia

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:26 PM Edited by Scamboni, 06 August 2014 - 06:29 PM.

Catch up is the Auto Aim of racing.  Thats why everyone uses it and loves racing straight lines.  It gives the illusion of skill and people feed off it. 

People love AA because they can get kills without any effort.  Well, people love catch up because they can still win even tho they can't drive.

But Catch up works less with alot of turns.  Just like AA works less with alot of distance.

CaliMeatWagon
  • CaliMeatWagon

Cause of head scratching.

• Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

I began wondering this after a race I did. There were three of us: Me with my Adder, second guy with Entity XF and third with Zentorno.

Right when the race started, my friend came for a visit and I missed first 25 seconds of the race. I still decided to start the race even though I was 25 seconds behind but as the race kept going I noticed that I am catching these dudes within every checkpoint. I managed to catch them up even though I was 25 seconds behind.

I think it is crazy or atleast not fair even if catch-up is on.

What are your thoughts on this? :)

Catch up isn't OP, it's doing it's job. It's slows down the people in front and speeds up those in the back allowing them to catch up, hence the name. It's useful if your running customs and not everybody in the race has a custom vehicle. But to be honest I mostly race in No-Contact (slipstream and catchup automatically disabled).

Plus most people can't drive. On one of my simple tracks I'll give randoms a 60 second head start and I've still managed to beat with over a minute split time. And that is in a No-Contact race.

But back to your original question, no Catch-Up isn't OP, it works exactly as intended.

dairyworker
  • dairyworker

I am the milk man

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

Catch up is the Auto Aim of racing.  Thats why everyone uses it and loves racing straight lines.  It gives the illusion of skill and people feed off it. 

People love AA because they can get kills without any effort.  Well, people love catch up because they can still win even tho they can't drive.

But Catch up works less with alot of turns.  Just like AA works less with alot of distance.

Seriously, you had to go there....

You are half right. it is very similar to aa in the ways you describ, exept for your assumtion that it makes me feel skilled. I and most of the players i know that play gta dony play many other shooters thats why we use aa, it helps me, i know it does and do not think i am amazing at shooters because of it. I do try to free aim as many kills as possible but thats besides the point. While i dony like catchup in races i understand that some might "need" it because they dont play many driving games, that does not mean tbey feel like awesome drivers afterwards. These devices are there to help those who feel they need it and while we may not agree with thier use it is VERY childish to assume those who use it are less than you.

Curious how many free aim lovers here play grain turismo with all the assists turned off.....

jiggaman1
  • jiggaman1

Snitch

• Members
  • England

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

Catchup is a horrid device that allows untalented scum to think they know how to drive.
When i host it is always, morning, clear, no traffic (a few exceptions), slipstream on, catchup off.
As far as low levels or poor people who dony have maxed out cars, good skills can overcome most performance differences in this game.

I was with you until the 'slipstream on' part.

SpidersWeb
  • SpidersWeb

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:00 PM

When I'm in first place - Catch Up is horrid OP piece of crap

When I'm at the back - Catch Up is underpowered and needs to be increased

It's a love/hate relationship.

Thing is, when I race well and make a huge lead from it, I think I deserve to keep that gap.

But if I start a race, and some clown races in to the back of me on the first corner, I need that catchup to try and recover.

My favourite races are Non-Contact, but that isn't very popular with other players.

SbrbnHstlr
  • SbrbnHstlr

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:09 PM

The only time I ever enable catchup is when it is a Gta style race. Only because the missiles and stickys put you soo far ahead/behind it makes its less competitive to have it disabled.
On contact races or technical Gp races I will always have it disabled.

wrappy
  • wrappy

Count Leopold Von Lichtenstein

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:41 AM

I was with you until the 'slipstream on' part.

I always leave slipstream on, although I wouldn't mind if they toned it down a bit.

ade2
  • ade2

Mafiya Worker

• Members

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

To me I think its backwards. What catch up should do is boost slower players rather than slow down the faster ones.

That way the guy in front driving really well doesn't get punished for driving well.

And the guys behind still need decent driving skills to effectively use there boost.

At present though a good driver almost gets slowed to a snails pace because everyone else hits every obstacle on the track and I think thats unfair on the good racers.

I agree with this! I was having trouble in a track with jumps because I would not get enough speed to pass the jumps when in 1st place.... so I crash landed and lost almost all positions. Makes catch up a bit too brutal...

Though it may be kind of hard for the poor guys in the back (who are probably not as skilled) to have a unmanageable speed boost all the time...

MarcusDaze
  • MarcusDaze

Racer & Race Creator

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

I always host with Catchup and Slipstream OFF!

That's how you keep it real.

YukiEiri
  • YukiEiri

l33t nekkid skillz...

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:06 PM Edited by YukiEiri, 08 August 2014 - 12:10 PM.

I always host with Catchup and Slipstream OFF!

That's how you keep it real.

Well .. slipstream is real life effect.. But I admit right now that I'm not sure how it is implemented ingame. I tend to keep it on and think of it as DRS. :)
No contact is ... really difficult. I like it, because who'd love to be pitted by an a55hat when you give room for an clean pass. But on the other hand .. it also takes away some excitement of the races when you can just blast through the ghost cars..

So my settings are;

Normal Race
Catch up - OFF
Slipstream - ON

*****EDIT*****
Time - Noon
Weather - Clear
Traffic - Off

Easymode racing FTW! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users