Do you think catch-up is too OP?

52 replies to this topic
mistermaster7
  • mistermaster7

Thug

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

I began wondering this after a race I did. There were three of us: Me with my Adder, second guy with Entity XF and third with Zentorno.

Right when the race started, my friend came for a visit and I missed first 25 seconds of the race. I still decided to start the race even though I was 25 seconds behind but as the race kept going I noticed that I am catching these dudes within every checkpoint. I managed to catch them up even though I was 25 seconds behind.

I think it is crazy or atleast not fair even if catch-up is on.

What are your thoughts on this? :) 

SteveNYC81
  • SteveNYC81

One Shot One Kill

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:48 AM Edited by SteveNYC81, 06 August 2014 - 09:51 AM.

Host + Catchup Off = The solution to your issue.

Serious note OP, why would spend all of the money I have on upgrades, to have an option enabled that puts a governor on my vehicles capability, so some guy who doesn't know how to use brakes on turns can catch up to me.

• SirPhilMcKraken, Diesleman, RoachKiller_416 and 5 others like this

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Gangsta

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

wow feels like october again when the catchup debate raged hard....

but yea it is an annoying mechanic, depending on the situation... sometimes on a really long race it can make things more interesting as it prevents the pack from spreading too far... i did a 10 min race last night on a very long track with only two other people, host had left catchup on and it meant we spent most of the race neck and neck, fighting for position with well timed overtakes...

in that sense it was good as 10 mins of driving alone can get boring, esp with no traffic...

but on the majority of tracks it stops better racers having the competitive edge by restricting the leaders speed... personally i dont like catchup in 95% of races as less than giving inferior players an advantage, it works by disavantaging the better players, which IMO is backwards......

its onyl on the very rare occasion that i think its used to a benefit

Aby
  • Aby

☩Ninth☩

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Christmas-Island
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

Catch-up has always been ridiculous to me.  I can understand people using slipstream, but with catch-up on, it gives no incentive to stay in first place, since you know the other racers will be catching up to you soon.

• ZeusMowat_278, RoachKiller_416, mo-seph and 4 others like this

ChrilLe
  • ChrilLe

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Members
  • Denmark

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

There's no safe odds of winning when catch-up is enabled, which makes me me think why people would try out such a race just to win.

mistermaster7
  • mistermaster7

Thug

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:56 AM

Serious note OP, why would spend all of the money I have on upgrades, to have an option enabled that puts a governor on my vehicles capability, so some guy who doesn't know how to use brakes on turns can catch up to me.

In this case it wasnt issue for me cuz I was the one behind :D But yeah that works if you don't want to think it is problem. 

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:57 AM Edited by mo-seph, 06 August 2014 - 09:58 AM.

*edited* removed double post

Obviously
  • Obviously

Dumb sh*t Now Dumb sh*t Forever.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

I lost many races due to catch up. I don't even race anymore.

• fw3 and tfroam like this

jdwarfer
  • jdwarfer

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • France

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

Asking me when I'm leading:

"Yeah, what the f*ck, go away noobs!"

Asking me when I'm late:

"Come on, faster! This catch up sh*t doesn't work!"

• SirPhilMcKraken, tfroam, cjdavies and 3 others like this

Sh4d0wX32111
  • Sh4d0wX32111

Strawhat

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

This is why I prefer GTA Races, I see anyone approaching me I sticky or rocket them I don't need no bullsh*t after U wrecked at the beginning trying to pit me

CosmoKramer0
  • CosmoKramer0

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

I always turn catch up off if I'm hosting a race.

• cjdavies and dairyworker like this

YukiEiri
  • YukiEiri

l33t nekkid skillz...

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:56 AM Edited by YukiEiri, 06 August 2014 - 11:02 AM.

I like racing, so no catch up for me thank you.
If I end up last due to an driving error, I rage to myself but finish the race with the best laptime. :)
If I end up last due to an dirty driver, I rage by myself but still finish the race.

Oh, I also hate one lap "races"... Two is minimum, three is kinda optimal balance between my desire for longer races and 90% of other players desire for quick destruction derby. (opinion, may be ignored)

(I seem to have platinum award for "Dust Maker", but I don't know how easy that is to get. xP)

GR Choke
  • GR Choke

Fun Race Creator

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

catch up should not even be an option

dzian
  • dzian

Prankster

• Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

To me I think its backwards. What catch up should do is boost slower players rather than slow down the faster ones.

That way the guy in front driving really well doesn't get punished for driving well.

And the guys behind still need decent driving skills to effectively use there boost.

At present though a good driver almost gets slowed to a snails pace because everyone else hits every obstacle on the track and I think thats unfair on the good racers.
  • tfroam and dairyworker like this

RDT33
  • RDT33

That Guy from that Thing

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

Catchup is a ridiculous mechanic that should have been scrapped at the drawing board.

It's bad enough that young children are allowed to see and hear SOME of the stuff in this game, but teaching them that it's ok to be mediocre, and that everything is going to be fair is probably the worst thing that they can learn.

• mo-seph and Madara1224 like this

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:16 AM

for those who prefer not to use catchup there are dedicated racing crews that tend to avoid it for all the reasons above... it can change your opinion of racing to roll with like minded folks who race for the enjoyment of racing, not to just pit you at every opportunity or to just run stupid tracks weighted in the favour of the creator... unsurprisingly some of those crews have alot of verified races for that very reason..

• dairyworker likes this

JayWeazel
  • JayWeazel

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

Asking me when I'm leading:

"Yeah, what the f*ck, go away noobs!"

Asking me when I'm late:

"Come on, faster! This catch up sh*t doesn't work!"

This is so true.

It always seems like it works better for other people when i'm in first. :(

Lay
  • Lay

ToothpickShaker

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:44 AM

It's OP in long races. A player in last position will catch up to first place in a couple of minutes.

Catch up is only decent if a lower level with no custom car is involved.

wrappy
  • wrappy

Count Leopold Von Lichtenstein

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

I always turn catch up off on standard races, but I don't mind it in gta races, especially the jet ones.  keeps those races exciting.

lazyassedlover
  • lazyassedlover

Lazy Assed Lover - Big Font, Big everything - Miss Los Santos Ju

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

I Think the respwan time takes waaaaay too long

• mo-seph likes this

CenMan
  • CenMan

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:29 PM

I only like it when I'm playing with friends so that a race doesn't become boring when one of us is really far behind. When playing with randoms though, I just want to leave them in the dust, preferably make them DNF or lap them if I can. It is most annoying when there's a long straight at the end of a race. It doesn't really do much in tight tracks with corners so it sucks when you've been outracing someone on the challenging part of the track, and then they overtake you on the easy part.

BondageKitty
  • BondageKitty

Felicia

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

I think catch up should be replaced from the first player getting slowed down to the last player getting sped up with also making the option off by default.

• lazyassedlover likes this

ZeusMowat_278
  • ZeusMowat_278

Big Homie

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

Catch up is dumb.

HipHopMagician
  • HipHopMagician

Some guy on Earth

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

yes

fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

Catchup is great when used in the right situation.

hqdefault.jpg

• SirPhilMcKraken likes this

homeskillet
  • homeskillet

Hustler

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

Catch up should be called slow down.

All it does is punish the better driver.

Just another example of today's society wanting everyone to be equal instead of being rewarded from your hard work.

• YukiEiri likes this

Rammer2k
  • Rammer2k

All In!!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

Techincally, there's already a govenor on all the vehicles since the max speed seems to top out at 150mhp whether you have Catchup On, or Off.  Of course that's thanks to the hardware rendering limits which hopefully will be fixed with the Xbox 1/PS4 release.

JON22
  • JON22

FECK U ALL >:(

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

I hate catch up....except when I win :) . Lost many races because of catch up, and it never seems to work for me when I'm behind.
  • cjdavies likes this

Race-n-Chase
  • Race-n-Chase

Geobsedeerd.

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

I hate it, I think it would at least make a difference if the standard setting was catch-up off. Most 12-yo old hosts don't even know what it means and they won't change it, as they now just leave it at the standard option. Ofcourse I'd like R* to completely remove it, but I expect that won't happen.

midders10
  • midders10

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

Swings and roundabouts.

Am I right in thinking it only limits top speed?  Maybe adds a bit of short shifting?  My personal preference is to race tracks that don't have overly long straights to the point that they max out the car's speed.  Once you've got close to a car's top speed you might as well turn a corner or two.

Obstacle What? for example, managing to get away from the carnage at the start to then be restricted all the way is annoying but managing to get away from the carnage and driving up and down the highway on your own all race long is boring.  So whilst it may seem over-powered at times with long straight roads, on GP type circuits it doesn't seem so much.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users