Grand Theft Satire?

7 replies to this topic
dreadluxx
  • dreadluxx

дрэдлоксъ

• Members
  • Ethiopia

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:52 PM

Im curious to as when Rockstar began using the GTA series as a base of satirical content.  I never played the first two, top down view games in the series, but had the rest of the games.  I grew up on GTA, and I noticed a lot of parodies throughout VC and SA but it wasn't until GTA IV that it was extremely clear that everything was pretty much a parody of real life.  (And not always funny, every other thing being a penis joke gets old after a while.

GTA III Seemed more a gangster game, yeah it was a breakthrough in sandbox gaming but seemed more serious.  

Obviously VC was loosely based on Scarface, and a parody of the 80's in general, sure a lot of things were meant in satire but i felt like the game was.  It seemed pretty serious.  Tommy was a no bullsh*t, get things done type of protagonist.  But he was funny as well. (in an asshole kind of way) One of the greatest memories of my childhood, was stealing cars, riding around the main island listening to VCPR, pressing issues,  with Maurice Chavez.. and the little interludes in-between with the guy and the chick saying stuff like "donate to us now, she's a shallow bitch, and we need money" then the lady would be like "He's right, I am a shallow bitch, but you don't need money, we do if you want to continue hearing our fabulous voices" or some shxt like that..

GTA: San Andreas was giving insight to the 90's L.A. gang scene.  Was my favorite game in the series, but probably mostly because of nostalgia.  In that game, that's when i really started seeing the joking manner of the series, in between the radio commercials (clucking bell: "family can't decide on what you want? Introducing the f*ck it bucket!") the advertisements when you were in Ammunation, jokes and other things throughout the game.  Even though the story could be pretty dark at times, especially since the beginning (Tenpenny was one my favorite antagonists in the whole series) lightheartedness really shows in this game.

GTA: IV probably had the darkest, grittiest story of them all.  I felt connected to Niko for some reason.  I felt for him.  his story was complex and though many might seem it was strange, i, for some reason, felt the connection between Niko, an eastern european war vet, killer criminal, and Little Jacob, a jamaican gangster, was legit.  The story was incredible, but the first HD game in the series had a true, parody vibe to it.  What i mean is, the balance between a gritty (believable) story, and Libery City which felt so much like a parody was great.  I don't know exactly how to explain it, like I felt like i was in New York, but i knew i wasn't in New York.  The radio in this game seemed to be the most far-fetched of them all.  The introduction of being able to use the internet and the internet cafe's (Tw@) showed the unrealistic, parodic side of the game.  The advertisements in times square, etc.  This really felt like a parody of current real life.

GTA:V Is just a parody of everything.  Don't get me wrong, i love the game, mostly the online portion, but this is the first GTA i feel no connection anyone or anything.  Sure, it parodies (in an extremism type of way) the heavy reliance on technology and social media, along with other dumb fads, but i felt like they had already done that in GTA:IV, and in GTA IV, at least they balanced it out well with the storyline.  Now i know people will disagree, but i feel like in GTA V the element of satire overtakes pretty much everything, which makes it hard for me to enjoy the story.  

So what I'm getting at is, do you think R*s intention was always to have these games as a parody or in a satirical manner?  When did they start focusing so heavily on mocking real life things?  Do you think they do this to show a lighter side in a game that is otherwise extremely violent and could be looked down upon? Do you think GTA V parodies too much?  Not enough?  Why?

Maybe some of you can shed some more light on this subject.  Opinions? Discuss.

TL;DR: Why do you think R* makes these games with satire playing such a huge role, when did they start focusing on it heavily?

• Zee likes this

Zee
  • Zee

Shut up, sit down, relax.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom
  • Comedian of the Year 2011

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:59 PM Edited by Zee, 05 August 2014 - 10:01 PM.

I wish they'd quit it, all of their satire in V was god-awful. They've completely lost their knack for good satire and are now a bunch of old misanthropes. The "satire" (if you could even call it that) of California was so generic and abysmal.

I wish once, just once, they'd go back to that GTA3 atmosphere that was dark, mature and streetwise. Not goofy as f*ck as all the humour has been post San Andreas.

The jokes used to be more clever earlier on, now its just base crassness and vulgarity with not much thought behind it.
  • Piggsy pls, Lucario 2.0, dreadluxx and 3 others like this

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:55 AM

I wish they'd quit it, all of their satire in V was god-awful. They've completely lost their knack for good satire and are now a bunch of old misanthropes. The "satire" (if you could even call it that) of California was so generic and abysmal.

I wish once, just once, they'd go back to that GTA3 atmosphere that was dark, mature and streetwise. Not goofy as f*ck as all the humour has been post San Andreas.

The jokes used to be more clever earlier on, now its just base crassness and vulgarity with not much thought behind it.

This man speaks the truth

• maxpaynefan likes this

Mr.Nedich
  • Mr.Nedich

Baratheon Bannerman

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

I agree. The writing of V as a world feels hamfisted and forced on us. In the 3D universe, there was overt sex jokes, but there was a lot of clever parody commercials and witty billboards/business. Now it's basically 'c*nts Inc. GET IT? IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE WE USED THE WORD c*nt AND THAT'S VULGAR!!!!11!1 LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL'

• Zee, Lucario 2.0, dreadluxx and 1 other like this

Wavesittich
  • Wavesittich

#yeshomo

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:11 AM

I hate the dark GTAs. I hate serious GTAs. But I hate V's "humor" too...

Let's return to the old, good humor, R*!

Judicious 7
  • Judicious 7

Compassionate

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

I really enjoyed the satire in GTA IV. The 3D era humor was funny, but it was worth cheap laughs. I was young when I played Vice City, SA, & LSC. I knew about the sex jokes, but after a while it stopped being clever and stuff. What's crazy however is that the same toilet humor isn't shoved in your face in GTA IV. It's subtle, but Rockstar doesn't try to be too extra.

Even the political and cultural humor was done better in IV than V. For example:

Now, the WCTR in V is uhh........ dry.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:45 AM

I hate lighthearted GTA games. I agree with Zee. We need another game like III, in terms of the seriousness of the story.

• maxpaynefan likes this

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

"Time moves forward, and nothing changes"- Max Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:37 AM

We need to return to the 3d era humour like gta 3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users