Quantcast

» «
Photo

Did the Multiple Protagonist concept work?

69 replies to this topic

Poll: Multiple Protagonists (157 member(s) have cast votes)

Did it work?

1. Yes (123 votes [78.34%])

Percentage of vote: 78.34%

2. No (34 votes [21.66%])

Percentage of vote: 21.66%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Kampret
  • Kampret

GabeN is fat.

• The Yardies
  • Indonesia

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:44 AM

From a gameplay perspective, the system added depth to missions where more than one appeared.  I wish there were more that used all three characters at once, because those are by far the best missions.

From a story perspective, it's strange that people are saying they felt there weren't enough missions to get to know the V characters, then immediately say that they connected with Luis and Johnny. After all, they have as many missions, in fact more once you add the Strangers and Freaks missions.  Not only that, you have their LifeInvader accounts, which tell you a lot about the V character's backgrounds.

Simple. Those 2 characters have their own story (other than IV's story from a different perspective). That's why in V some people can only connect with Michael, since he was the one with the most *storyline* mission he appeared on.

The whole story of V pretty much focused on FIB/IAA rivalry and MTF relationship. And how did the trio got involved in FIB/IAA? Michael's connection.

Nuggets
  • Nuggets

SenseiKOFF

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:22 PM

Too hit and miss for me. Yes it added another dimension to missions, but it killed character development IMO. I couldn't invest myself into their individual stories like could with Niko, Johnny and Luis.

So for the purpose of this thread I have to say no.

This.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

Coded. Not stirred.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [GTA V and Steam]

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

The only time it works is when the game forces you down the linear storyline. Once things become open ended, then you hit a HUGE halt.

Rockstar should drop this concept entirely for the next game. IF they decide to bring it back, they better revamp the hell out of it because it was extremely unimpressive through most of the game.

Kampret
  • Kampret

GabeN is fat.

• The Yardies
  • Indonesia

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

The only time it works is when the game forces you down the linear storyline. Once things become open ended, then you hit a HUGE halt.

Rockstar should drop this concept entirely for the next game. IF they decide to bring it back, they better revamp the hell out of it because it was extremely unimpressive through most of the game.

Or at least make it like IV, doesn't know each other OR even being enemies to each other.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:40 PM Edited by Staten, 06 August 2014 - 03:42 PM.

Disagree so much.  When you're in free-roam, the switching allows you to create small stories and cut between them.  You can start as Trevor, get in a fight, play some darts and maybe catch a bounty, then switch to Franklin and take part in a race, take Chop to the beach, talk to a guy on the corner of the street about the end of the world, then go get drunk with Lamar, then switch to Michael for a game of tennis, get called to defend a property from attack, then maybe do a mission.

@Kampret: the V trio have just as much of their own background storylines as the IV trio, if not more. 

Kampret
  • Kampret

GabeN is fat.

• The Yardies
  • Indonesia

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

Disagree so much.  When you're in free-roam, the switching allows you to create small stories and cut between them.  You can start as Trevor, get in a fight, play some darts and maybe catch a bounty, then switch to Franklin and take part in a race, take Chop to the beach, talk to a guy on the corner of the street about the end of the world, then go get drunk with Lamar, then switch to Michael for a game of tennis, get called to defend a property from attack, then maybe do a mission.

@Kampret: the V trio have just as much of their own background storylines as the IV trio, if not more. 

You're missing the point. In IV+EFLC, the trio barely knew each other. All of them are protagonists, but feature their own stories (other than IV's main story with different perspectives). In V, the trio worked together most of the time, leaving very little room for their own stories (I mean, come on, how much is Franklin's hood/family missions, and Trevor's individual missions?).

It impacts character development. That's why Michael felt the most developed (although not that much), and Franklin is the least developed. The story would've been better if Franklin and Trevor were deuteragonists (like Lester) rather than protagonists.

• theNGclan likes this

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

Coded. Not stirred.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [GTA V and Steam]

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

You have taken in consideration that you're role playing, right? That's not what everyone does.

• Kampret likes this

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

Quite frankly, multi-protags made the missions more scripted and tighter than before.
In prev. game the missions felt more open ended with that 'classic' freedom present throughout and no restrictions whatsoever outside cutscenes, as opposed to being trapped within a linear set of parts/events in missions ( with few exceptions ), back and forth, that can't be easily circumvented; due to the auto-switching and less variety of ways to execute them.
They should return with just one protagonist ( best ), or at least, in the way they managed the individual stories in GTA IV, without butchering the design of open-ended freeform gameplay.
  • Miamivicecity, theNGclan and Kampret like this

Breaking Bad
  • Breaking Bad

I am the one who knocks.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

I enjoyed it, but I must admit I missed just seeing a guy rise and playing as him throughout. Trevor and Franklin always seemed so shoehorned in, especially Franklin. Like Trevor had a past with Michael, but Franklin was just a guy he randomly bumped into and then they started working together.

Most of the story seemed to focus on Michael, rather than it being an even playing field, and I felt that hurt Trevor and Franklin a little bit. I definitely agree that there should have been more missions, and more character specific missions too to expand on their own story kinda'. Some of it felt quite rushed at the end, and I still hate The Big Score, it was such a weak heist, and I thought it would be amazing with it being the Final grab.

bish0p2004
  • bish0p2004

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

Yes...one of my favorite features in the game. It will be difficult going back to just one character again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users