Quantcast

» «
Photo

Did the Multiple Protagonist concept work?

69 replies to this topic

Poll: Multiple Protagonists (157 member(s) have cast votes)

Did it work?

1. Yes (123 votes [78.34%])

Percentage of vote: 78.34%

2. No (34 votes [21.66%])

Percentage of vote: 21.66%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Playa

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:41 PM Edited by gtarules_95, 04 August 2014 - 11:43 PM.

I know back when it was announced people were skeptical if it would work or not

sure we already had three protagonist in a city in GTA IV but their stories were seperated and only some times their paths crossed

In GTA V this was a huge element in the missions and in free roam where you could switch whenever you wanted

the missions even though a bit scripted were very fun to play

Still there were also some shortcomings that I have heard like because we had three protags they weren't as fleshed out as previous Protagonists

So now looking back do you think it worked? Is it really an integral part of GTA now? ( I mean it got praise from everywhere it was a gamble but apparently it paid off)

What do you think? Do you want Rockstar to use it again?

I would say yes it worked BUT if they do it again there has to be some innovation I mean if they were friends again then it would be too similiar to V but thats another discussion

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:58 PM

I prefer playing as only 1 character during missions, but I like the option to switch during free-roam.

• sqre likes this

kevin de santa
  • kevin de santa

Thug

• BUSTED!
  • Ireland

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:12 AM

Yes I love all 3 character I really thought it made missions way more fun aswell
  • adictoGTA and BLOOD-MOND like this

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:14 AM

I don't think it's a simple yes or no answer for me. In some circumstances, like Blitz Play, it felt incredible, and

Spoiler
but the free roam sections were a bit lacking, like you couldn't switch when hanging out, and in some missions it felt wasted. I think it "worked however it was severely limited and probably needed a bit more polish.

• matajuegos01 likes this

DopeFresh
  • DopeFresh

Member of the Dope Fresh Nation

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:18 AM

nope.  69 missions is unacceptable for 3 characters.  we need like 50 missions per character.

• Capricornus, saintsrow, Tony. and 12 others like this

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:23 AM

I think it had an effect on the quality of the story, but it adds more variety to the overall gameplay.

• Xx-ADITYA-xX, DaRkL3AD3R, Niobium and 2 others like this

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

The Milf Man

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:26 AM

I think all three characters needed more missions. For example Franklin needed more back story
  • sqre, coach_wargo, theGTAking101 and 2 others like this

AndrewDeSanta
  • AndrewDeSanta

Republitarian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:43 AM

Just. Each story needs more fleshing out though. 

• sqre, Xx-ADITYA-xX, coach_wargo and 2 others like this

WinkingSkeever6
  • WinkingSkeever6

Homeboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:53 AM

I'd say it worked out, although I would've liked for more moments where you could switch between different characters, and for the times you do switch between characters to have less of a time restriction (i.e., having time to switch to another character after you complete an objective, instead of the 'switch wheel' being locked off immediately after said objective is completed).

zuckmeslow
  • zuckmeslow

Writer/Director

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:55 AM

yes. it just needed a longer story.

oCrapaCreeper
  • oCrapaCreeper

Homie

• Members

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:01 AM Edited by oCrapaCreeper, 05 August 2014 - 01:04 AM.

nope.  69 missions is unacceptable for 3 characters.  we need like 50 missions per character.

Multiple characters should not have to make a difference in story length. It's not like movies add 2 more hours for every character or something.

• Len Lfc, Staten, SuburbansWorst and 2 others like this

SuburbansWorst
  • SuburbansWorst

Liberal Black Activist

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:11 AM

yes. it just needed a longer story.

tbfh

iam2fresh
  • iam2fresh

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:13 AM

i liked it but man did it hurt its ass in the story. this was the one gta i felt deserved a 100+ missions. the best way to get information or character devlopment is to hang out with people. who would've known hanging out with jimmy would reveal franklins backstory.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:28 AM

Not enough character development and content I felt. Think about the journey Niko went through in IV. Started with nothing in Hove Beach and worked his way up all the way through.

Now compare that to V. There's no sense of journey at all. You just hop in and start making huge money. The villain aspect of the game is extremely weak because they tried to implement a "villain" for each protagonist independently and it backfired. You have these shallow characters (the triads, stretch, etc) who feel like they could just exist for till the end of time and it wouldn't change a damn thing. Yet these are the guys you have to whack to clean things up. Even then that felt rushed too.

Bottom line, multiple characters can definitely work and I voted yes because I liked having the choice for freeroam. But for the story, it really took it's toll on content and character development.

• saintsrow, PulpFiction, sqre and 4 others like this

SAVILLAIN
  • SAVILLAIN

ha ha ha

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:41 AM

game design wise?.... yes

TJGM
  • TJGM

Big Homie

• Modding Staff
  • Ireland
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:09 AM Edited by TJGM, 05 August 2014 - 02:09 AM.

Honestly, no. I still feel like the story was rushed together because R* tried to tell the story of three protagonists instead of one and in the end I still didn't know sh*t about the characters and felt nothing for them by the end of the story.
  • PulpFiction, sqre, Finite and 2 others like this

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

It's been a ride

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:51 AM

Not enough character development and content I felt. Think about the journey Niko went through in IV. Started with nothing in Hove Beach and worked his way up all the way through.

Now compare that to V. There's no sense of journey at all. You just hop in and start making huge money. The villain aspect of the game is extremely weak because they tried to implement a "villain" for each protagonist independently and it backfired. You have these shallow characters (the triads, stretch, etc) who feel like they could just exist for till the end of time and it wouldn't change a damn thing. Yet these are the guys you have to whack to clean things up. Even then that felt rushed too.

Bottom line, multiple characters can definitely work and I voted yes because I liked having the choice for freeroam. But for the story, it really took it's toll on content and character development.

:^: :^: Excellent points.  I also think that multiple protags could have worked if there were more character development, more character transformation, stronger role for Franklin, and drop Trevor on the cutting room floor. 

zuckmeslow
  • zuckmeslow

Writer/Director

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:55 AM

Multiple characters should not have to make a difference in story length. It's not like movies add 2 more hours for every character or something.

The difference between a movie and a video game is that we control one, and the other we have no control over. We want to be closer to the characters in video games than we are to the characters in movies because we want to identify as them. We want to feel like them while we play the game.

I have said it numerous times, gta v should have been a movie. Its got great talent, a funny whitty script, and some very nice cutscenes that would have translated nicely for a feature film. Unfortunately as a video game it is too thin. Alot of missions are just filler so the game would feel longer. I mean come on did we need the crane simulation or the yoga mission or the jimmy slips drugs into your drink mission. Thats stuff that could have been done in 20 seconds for a movie.

Remember the mission where debra and floyd...

That mission is a cutscene. You do nothing but drive there and drive away and mission over. Its things like that in the game that makes me say it should have just been a movie.
  • saintsrow, sqre, Choco Taco and 3 others like this

oCrapaCreeper
  • oCrapaCreeper

Homie

• Members

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:01 AM

The difference between a movie and a video game is that we control one, and the other we have no control over. We want to be closer to the characters in video games than we are to the characters in movies because we want to identify as them. We want to feel like them while we play the game.

I have said it numerous times, gta v should have been a movie. Its got great talent, a funny whitty script, and some very nice cutscenes that would have translated nicely for a feature film. Unfortunately as a video game it is too thin. Alot of missions are just filler so the game would feel longer. I mean come on did we need the crane simulation or the yoga mission or the jimmy slips drugs into your drink mission. Thats stuff that could have been done in 20 seconds for a movie.

Remember the mission where debra and floyd...

That mission is a cutscene. You do nothing but drive there and drive away and mission over. Its things like that in the game that makes me say it should have just been a movie.

I agree with all that, but my point was that the story length is irrelevant with the characters. 

RogerFH
  • RogerFH

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:03 AM Edited by RogerFH, 05 August 2014 - 03:04 AM.

It worked, but I feel like it wasn't a totally game changing feature.

There are very few missions in the game where you actually have the freedom to switch freely between the three characters. Most of the time the game tells you who to switch and when to, and this kind of takes the freedom away from the player.

From a storytelling perspective, it wasn't a total disgrace, but the secondary characters ended up being dumbed down to give space for the three protagonists to "shine". If you think about, GTA IV together with its Episodes did the whole three protagonist thing better!

• Journey_95 and Osho like this

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:11 AM

Yes. It'd be much better to have a lot more missions to develop the characters a bit more, but I have no problem with the way things are. I love all three characters, and it's fun to switch from time to time, leading on separate lifestyles. The missions that allowed switching of characters are really fun to play, including the heists.

DopeFresh
  • DopeFresh

Member of the Dope Fresh Nation

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:25 AM

they should indeed make a difference in story length.  we are supposed to connect with the characters with 23 missions for each?  how is that possible?  compared to gta 4 and gta sa, it was a huge disappointment.  when you think of 3 characters, you think of 3 stories.  like what was in gta 4 except connected more.  i dont consider a story to be 23 missions long.

• Journey_95 and Kampret like this

oCrapaCreeper
  • oCrapaCreeper

Homie

• Members

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:33 AM Edited by oCrapaCreeper, 05 August 2014 - 03:39 AM.

they should indeed make a difference in story length.  we are supposed to connect with the characters with 23 missions for each?  how is that possible?  compared to gta 4 and gta sa, it was a huge disappointment.  when you think of 3 characters, you think of 3 stories.  like what was in gta 4 except connected more.  i dont consider a story to be 23 missions long.

You may think 3 characters = 3 stories, but that's obviously not the case in V. They are all part of 1 interwoven story, as Rockstar has said before. It's practically no different than the others GTA games with characters other than who you play as, except you see the same action from different perspectives. If Roman was playable alongside Niko, would IV's story have to be longer?

Aleph-Zero
  • Aleph-Zero

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:33 AM

It worked, but i don't want them to do it again.

Kampret
  • Kampret

GabeN is fat.

• The Yardies
  • Indonesia

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:33 AM

This!

OT: In practice? Yes. But it impacts the whole length and quality of the story.

Inb4 "but tlad and tbogt got 20-ish missions only"

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:24 AM

Gameplay wise, I'm hard-pressed to find more freedom and tactical room to notice any differences playing the missions each time.
The missions are so heavily scripted that the switching mechanic failed to truly shine, for me, esp. in terms of, what the past games did with just one protagonist.
It turned missions boring and little diversity to play around and experiment with them.
Not amazing; but its playable.
Didn't appeal to me.
  • PulpFiction and GtaV Is Coming To Pc like this

x_Slap_x
  • x_Slap_x

Satirical

• Members
  • Peru

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:40 AM Edited by x_PokerFace_x, 05 August 2014 - 04:41 AM.

Having always felt extremately lonely and lost in the enormity of the game once the 100% was achieved, I do feel the 3 protagonists have managed to keep the world alive once all is done. It worked for me, but I'd have loved to see more of them in action aka longer story.

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

The Libertonian grandmaster

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

Too hit and miss for me. Yes it added another dimension to missions, but it killed character development IMO. I couldn't invest myself into their individual stories like could with Niko, Johnny and Luis.

So for the purpose of this thread I have to say no.
  • sqre, Bi0ha2ard_q8, Nuggets and 4 others like this

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

Help, I'm steppin' into the Twilight Zone

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:59 AM

Too hit and miss for me. Yes it added another dimension to missions, but it killed character development IMO. I couldn't invest myself into their individual stories like could with Niko, Johnny and Luis.

So for the purpose of this thread I have to say no.

I agree. While having multiple protagonists did innovate the series and added a whole new dynamic to the game, it absolutely demolished character development. I often wonder what the game would be like if only Michael was in the game. His family, and overall story with the

Spoiler
could also have room for improvement.

• Kampret likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:00 AM

Overall I liked the concept, I like being able to switch to different areas of the map and have a (very slightly) different atmosphere when I'm playing. But as SoL said above, I think the character development and the overall continuity was let down by it. 

And I would have preferred two characters that weren't Michael and Trevor.

• PulpFiction, sqre and Kampret like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users