Quantcast

» «
Photo

This is how it feels like to be working at Rockstar...

69 replies to this topic
universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

We should boycott Rockstar until they improve working conditions.

• Niobium likes this

Payne
  • Payne

f*ck you

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

They would be nothing without the employees
  • Niobium and jeanrjm like this

jeanrjm
  • jeanrjm

Tactical

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:55 PM Edited by jeanrjm, 07 August 2014 - 04:03 PM.

Every game they make sells millions of copies.
Yet they don't treat their talented people how deserved.
Sam and Dan wouldn't do anything but sh*t without these people.

Most of the people are avtually disposabl. You need a few good programmers for the engine and other things on the game's technical side. The rest of them like guys who make models, textures, sound editing etc.. can be easily replaced with another one of thousands guy/girls waiting for that open job spot.

That's real life and that's how it is everywhere, you have a few important positions and people who are really needed for the company, or at least whose absence would have some sort of impact, and they get a better pay and better conditions to work, but also take more responsibility. On the other side, you have the majority of people who can easily be replaced and thus they can get a lower pay and be forced to do as told.
Yet, everyone should be valorised. There is thing employers should valorise called loyalty.
If they have loyal employees they should keep them not treat them like inferior and replaceable beings.
I've read Rockstar reviews telling they don't even credit some people.
That's just manky.

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:09 PM Edited by Dope_0110, 07 August 2014 - 04:47 PM.

Yet, everyone should be valorised. There is a important thing called loyalty.
If they have loyal employees they should keep them not treat them like inferior and replaceable beings.
I've read Rockstar reviews telling they don't even credit some people.
That's just manky.

Unfortunately, the ''what should be'' and realities of life are never one and the same. In reality there's no sugar coating, you get a job and struggle to keep it, to advance, and when you're up, to stay there trampling those who are now in the position where you started. That's how it is, survival of those who make the best moves, and what benefits one will always hurt another. That is life.

jeanrjm
  • jeanrjm

Tactical

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

^^
I do agree with you: that's life.

But most people will not keep their jobs for longer if their lives turn into hell. They will quit. And If Rockstar has a bad fame regarding employment conditions, who will want to work for them?
I am sure there is not enough qualified professionals so that Rockstar can exchange all the time.
People will work for them. But maybe not the best. Not the dedicated and qualified ones they once had.

Yes, it's life, but Rockstar could do better than that. And as a fan I am concerned about the people that really put effort on the making of my favorite series, who kept working in a hell of a place.

Some places are better than others.
Electronic Arts, the hated EA, with 5000 employees has happier employees.

Rockstar can improve, but as you said, how higher, the baddest. That's life. :(

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

Working at EA would be awesome. Just copy and paste and boom, you get FIFA XXX.
  • Drunken Cowboy, Niobium and jeanrjm like this

jeanrjm
  • jeanrjm

Tactical

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:32 PM Edited by jeanrjm, 07 August 2014 - 05:34 PM.

Fifa XXX such an awesome game
dRINAmG.gif
  • Niobium and BLOOD-MOND like this

Payne
  • Payne

f*ck you

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:01 PM

^WTF
  • Zello likes this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:48 AM

Well that's rather disheartening but seems to explain a lot...

Unfortunately, with that prestige you can get away with being a domineering douche. 

If any of these disposable programmers leave, you'll always get one of the myriad of young and naive programmers who would never pass up a chance to work at legendary Rockstar.

Worker gets worked, they get sued or fired, get the new batch in, keep the wages nice and low, and sell your over-hyped GTA V with well-doctored trailers.

Companies like VALVe and the Almighty Gaben are an incredibly special case... I think they only reason they continue to be so generous and intuitive is because they had that reputation early on and jsut kept rolling with it. Rockstar doesn't need to make games anymore now that they can make money.

• Niobium and Judicious 7 like this

Niobium
  • Niobium

fu*k your santa hats. they're too mainstream

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:30 AM

my god, it's true. cockstar-- i mean rockstar, have officially become just like electronic assholes-- i mean, electronic arts....

It's terrible but at the same time I never knew this was happening. This has been going on during the development of games such as GTA IV, GTA V, RDR, Max Payne 3, LA Noire...

It's amazing they can produce such great games in such a horrible, horrible atmosphere. 

maybe because the atmosphere wasn't so horrible at the time

• Judicious 7 and Payne like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users